• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Thought anyone?

thought anyone?

Hello everyone, I just found this site and this is my story.

About 10 years ago I began to experience very mild stomach pain from time to time. Then quite suddenly I started bleeding quite alot and ended up in the hospital. The bleeding stopped in the hospital and I returned to normal life. ABout 6 months later the bleeding came back, back to the ER I went. This time it resulted in a surgery removing about 14" of my jejunum. I was told that the removed tissue was hardened and scarred and was consistant with a diagnosis of Crohn's disease. Again, this was nine years ago, I was 22.

I recovered very easily from the surgery and continued life as if nothing had happened. I had almost no idea what Crohn's disease was. I did a little research on it and really could not relate at all to the typical symptoms and stories about the disease. I felt that maybe I was in denial but I just could not make connection with the disease. For the next nine years I all but forgot about the Crohn's diagnosis. I never went back to the GI after surgery, in fact, I have only been to the doctor just a couple times in the last nine years and for unrelated issues. I have not had any symptoms that would be typical of Crohn's during this nine year period (I never really had any before the surgery either, the bleeding came rather suddenly). At most, I MIGHT be able to say that I had heartburn or diarhea just a tad more frequently than most people but that can be said about many people. Also, I was a heavy drinker during that whole time, I ate tons of food all of the time, loved to eat and cook spicy thai and indian foods and just generally enjoyed eating. I was relatively healthy and lived a normal life.

Now, this past Novemeber things changed. Almost overnight I began to experience extreme abdominal pain. The pain followed eating. Several hours after a meal my gut will start to make very loud and prolonged sounds like unatural gurgling. I will get bulges that move around my abdomen as the food seems to struggle to pass through. Most of the time this is very painful but sometimes, oddly enough, there is no pain just a the gurgling and moving bulges in belly. If it wasn;t so frightening it would be almost humorous to witness. It looks and sounds like an alien trying to escape inside of me. This has been going for over two months. If I dont eat I dont have problems. If I eat little or lightly I have little or light problems. If I eat a whole meal I will have bigger problems. It doesn;t seem to matter what I eat, the pain seems to be directly related to the volume of food I consume. I am experiencing no diarhea or any unusal BM issues. In fact, my BM's seem more regular and healthy than usual. I must comment though that the pain, when at its worst, (which is 3-4 days out of the week), is extreme and absolutley debilitating.

So, I go to the doc and get a CT scan. A narrowing in the small intestine is detected. I go to the GI and he orders more imaging (no results yet, we are now caught up to the present). He tells me that I have a severe Crohn's flare up and that it will require surgery (if the area is hardened and scarred) or a regiment of remicaid infusions. He orders a blood test that can detect how active the disease is (I guess?) It comes back as normal, which he seems perplexed by. That is where I am at now.

It could be that I have been and continue to be in deep denial about having Crohn's, but I am not trying to be. But even now, as I read through many of your stories and experiences, there is some simialiarity, but there really seems to be a disconnect from what I have experienced. Again, I am not trying to convince myself or seek validation that I do not have Crohn's. I just want to know what is wrong with me and I have some reservations about what I am being told.

What do you think? My initial instinct is that I have a mechanical issue (maybe caused by Crohn's). That something is causing a partial blockage, kink, adhesion in my intestine. If the narrowing is being caused by a severe Crohn's flare up, wouldn't the blood test reveal that activity? Hmmmmm.....

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I concur with what Rebecca said. The blood tests are known for being frequently inaccurate. I wouldn't rely on those results whatsoever. I also concur with going on the LRD. Also, do you drink anything like Ensure or Boost? Those types of drinks have a lot of calories and nutrients, and some of us (myself included) like to drink them either as a meal replacement to rest our bowels for a bit, or just to get extra calories & nutrients for those of us who have malabsorption issues.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing. Personally, I'd try the Remicade before going under the knife. If the meds fail, you can always have surgery later, but if you have surgery first then that's another x inches of bowels that you can't get back, you know? Anyway, welcome to the forum and I wish you luck!

Astra

Hi digiblue
and welcome

I would like to concur with the above too! The low residue diet would help with the 'alien' and I would also try the Remi first, in fact any med first, before surgery!
Good luck with whatever you decide
Joan xxx

thank you all for the replies. I think I need a bit of a change of mindset. I have kind of been rooting for the surgery actually since my last experience was quite positive. However, I realize that I probably got lucky there. Thanks again.

I have a SBFT yesterday which seemed to me to be very revealing. It showed one very definitive point of stricture/obstruction in the ileum. The small intestine "upstream" of this point is severely dilated from withstanding the constant " back pressure" from the stricture. All tissue downstream apprears normal. The "bad" portion looks to be a very small point (as opposed to a stretch of intestine) where the tube appears almost completely collapsed, only allowing a pin-hole trickle of the barium through. The doctor doing the "spotting" seemed to think it was severe and mentioned contacting a surgeon. My GI, of course, does not see the urgency and I have to wait another week to see him. At which point he has indicated that he will probably prescibe remicade. Can remicade help with something like this? Im wasting away. I cant eat anything and I saw with my own eyes yesterday why that is. The way my doctors approach this is a mystery to me.