Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Juicing » Update on my juicing test project

02-24-2011, 01:29 PM   #31
Maryam

Sorry for the delay in replying to your private message Jecoll.

I have been attending a personal development course and been a bit preoccupied

Go onto google and search under the following key words:

Juicing
Juicing for Health
Juice Therapy
Doctor Yourself Juicing
Heal Yourself Juicing
Heal Yourself
Inflammatory Bowel Disease Juicing
Juice Fasting
Vegetable Juice for Health
And other similar word combinations

You can also try the following books for a good first introduction:

Raw Juices Can Save Your Life! An A-Z Guide to Juicing by Sandra Cabot

Fresh Vegetable And Fruit Juices - What's Missing In Your Body by Dr Norman W Walker

I buy enough vegetables to last 2 - 3 days only, and then refresh with a top up.

How much you buy depends on the type of juicer you have. A centrifugal juicer will yield a lot less liquid than a non-centrifugal juicer.

And also how many people you are juicing for, how often you will be drinking the juice, how much you plan to drink and various other variables. Also what you plan to juice. Something with high water content like celery or cucumber will produce a lot of juice, pumpkin yields next to nothing even with a good juicer. Spinach yields little but you only need a little because it is so highly concentrated.

How much to buy is something you will have to discover for yourself over time and with experimenting.

Get some recipes from the above books or weblinks, and you will soon get a feel for it.

Have fun!

thanks for posting all this useful info, does these books have recipes for juices
supplements: vitamin D,Calcium,Cayenne pepper pill,Ginger Force,
Surgeries: fistulatomy 2010
02-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #32
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Astra, welcome aboard.

David, I was just using juice as a supplement with regular food. I can't imagine a short fast would be an issue regarding protein as people have fasted for centuries on water and/or juice. I'm sure others know more about it than I do though.

For those about to juice, we salute you!
02-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #33
David
Co-Founder

I'm on day four of my all juice fast (I started a couple days before my initial post). I am surprisingly NOT thinking about food all the time and my hunger pains are infrequent and minimal. In the past during other forms of fasts, well, let's just say it isn't pretty. I consider myself to be addicted to food so that I'm doing this well is surprising. My energy levels are pretty high still as well. Unfortunately no lessening of my gut pain at this point, but I'm sure I have to be patient with that

Thanks again for the inspiration
02-26-2011, 12:06 AM   #34
Shannon

Wow, it is amazing that so many have moved to juicing regularly and the results are undeniable. The forum has done it's job when people are sharing success.
- Read my story on Holistic Treatment here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=15655
- Currently training in figure skating to reconnect with my body! Read more at Crohnie On Ice
02-26-2011, 12:20 AM   #35
troydanielbecker

Inspired, I'm on craigslist, finding all sorts of good juicer deals...
02-26-2011, 01:52 AM   #36
Miss Spencer

does these books have recipes for juices
Yes they do.

Especially the A - Z guide.
02-26-2011, 02:03 AM   #37
Miss Spencer

How are you all getting enough protein though?
You could always add a protein supplement if you are that worried.

I read this but don't know how true it is:

"during water or juice fasting, the protein levels of the blood remain constant".

Most people eat far too much animal protein anyway. You will hardly waste away if you don't have it every day. So don't panic.

Have a look at the juicefasting.org website for more info.

Best to read some books on the subject before attempting. As there are many elements to consider, detox symptoms and even some emotional issues to prepare for.

So read up on the subject first.
02-26-2011, 11:15 AM   #38
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Congratulations on your success, David. I hope your gut pain begins to wane soon. Have you read my thread on straining juice? Unstrained pulp was bothering me, but for me fiber if a sure way to cause pain. It may not be an issue for you.

I was lamenting my inability to eat correctly to lose weight on another thread, but I'm now thinking maybe juice fasting a day or two a week would be a way to do that. I'm inspired.
02-27-2011, 11:48 PM   #39
David
Co-Founder

I did indeed see the straining idea and started today, thank you for that!

This evening some emotion finally started to rise up. I was reading a gardening book and started crying.

*shrug*

Next couple of days should be interesting. Hahah.
02-27-2011, 11:51 PM   #40
David
Co-Founder

In other news, I began reading the "Juicing Bible" which my fiance just happened to have (she's also the source of my wonderful juicing machine). It is a FANTASTIC book. I think I may have been juicing wrong because I was just buying every organic fruit and veggie I could, but people with IBD (according to it) should avoid specific things such as citrus.

Today I made a beet, cabbage, onion, strawberrry, spinach, blueberry concoction. Sounds disgusting, but I loved it. With the onion, it reminded me a lot of a bloody mary which I thoroughly enjoy. I'm sure my girl won't want to be anywhere near me when she gets home though
02-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #41
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Well, that should cure ya or kill ya, lol. Seriously, years ago I juiced a diy V-8 combo that included onions and was surprised that I didn't detest them as an addition.

I ordered a juicing book last night and am looking forward reading it. It's not one of the ones recommended, but I had a credit on paperbackwap dot com I wanted to use up ('Juicing for Life' by Cherie Calbom, Maureen Keanez).

Today I made a beet, cabbage, onion, strawberrry, spinach, blueberry concoction. Sounds disgusting, but I loved it. With the onion, it reminded me a lot of a bloody mary which I thoroughly enjoy. I'm sure my girl won't want to be anywhere near me when she gets home though
03-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #42
musogirl

Another juice fan here! I usually have apple/orange/carrot and apple/celery/beetroot/greens juices. Seems to work for me as long as I remember not to drink a massive glass-full all in one go.
03-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #43
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Muso, what happens if you drink it all at once? I don't chug-a-lug mine but do drink it within a couple of minutes.
03-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #44
musogirl

I think my stomach swells up sometimes, doesn't hurt or anything though.
03-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #45
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
I see. Thanks.
03-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #46
jecoll

I'm loving this juicing thing. It's funny how there are a bunch of us that have all started around the same time!

My morning usually consists of:
Carrots, Celery, Cucumber, Spinach, Parsley, and a little chunk of ginger

Afternoon is when I get my fruit:
Carrots, an Apple, Pineapple or Orange (or both!), and some Berries if I have them kicking around

My pre- or post- dinner drink has been:
Carrots, Celery, Cucumber, Kale, and a Beet

I just bought some wheat grass that I throw into my morning or evening drink when I'm feeling bold haha.

Because I have some scar tissue in my small bowel, I've always had to stay away from fruits and veggies for fear of stuff getting caught in those problem areas. But now ..not a problem at all. I really owe you guys many thanks for getting me started on this!
03-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #47
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
So, Jecoll, you aren't having to strain it at all?

Despite straining I'm still having problems with it and am so frustrated.

Congratulations that it's working so well for you.
03-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #48
jecoll

No straining. I think I mentioned in this thread or another that I'm using a masticating juicer (Omega 8005), so it does a pretty good job of getting all the large stuff out. There is definitely a lot of sediment left in the juice, but it's not nearly large enough to bother me.
03-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #49
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Oh, that's right, you did. I'd forgotten.
03-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #50
ameslouise

I have the Omega juicer also and it's amazing. You can put a rock through that thing and get juice from it!
03-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #51
Dexky
To save time...Ask Dusty!

My Support Groups:
^^^Amy^^^, sorry I can't help myself....Maybe that's how Moses did it!!

EJ dx w/ Crohn's 12/09
PSC 3/10

No more 6mp
Currently in the Humira Club
03-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #52
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
I'd assume very little leftover pulp with a rock too.
03-04-2011, 09:43 PM   #53
ameslouise

Maybe rock juice is a good source of iron!!!
03-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #54
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
You may be onto something, lol.

Once I see my doc and get my symptoms/meds straightened out I'm back to trying juicing again and would like to do a one-day juice fast weekly in addition to daily juicing.

David, are you around? How's your fast going?
03-07-2011, 01:09 AM   #55
David
Co-Founder

David, are you around? How's your fast going?
That ended a few days ago after I got some pretty hardcore D and hit a weight I haven't seen since freshman year of high school. I'm glad to have done it but I needed to go back to a more rounded diet

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Juicing » Update on my juicing test project