• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi

I am 33 years old and a married mother of two boys who are 14 and 11. I was officially diagnosed with Crohn's disease in 2000, (It was in my small and large intestine)but I have had it since 1996 after the birth of my first son.(was not properly diagnosed in 96) In 2000 I was put on prednisone for six months and I took Asacol until about 2004 and switched to Pentasa. I was in remission for about 6 years. Since then I have been on Endicort, Humira, Cimsia, and Flagyl. I've been on 6mp for about a year now. For the past two years I haven't been able to keep my Crohn's in control. It hasn't been in my small intestine since I was first diagnosed, but it has caused horrible damage to my large intestine. I will be having my first surgery in Feb. The majority of my colon is going to be removed, and my small intestine is going to be hooked up to my rectum. I had a colonoscopy a year ago and my rectum looked good. I have a pre-surgery colonoscopy on Monday to see if my rectum is still in good shape. If not they will have to do a temporary ileostomy. I'm really hoping this surgery goes well..........

Hi Kris. I also have Crohn's, and am looking at surgery myself. I have tried Asacol, and many other pills. And Humira, Remicade, and Cimzia. My disease is in my small intestine, in the ileum. What are the effects of your surgery? I am really nervous at the thought of it, as I want to have children SOON! My Dr. wants to put me on Tysabri, which wouldn't allow me to get pregnant.
I'll be praying for you that your surgery goes well :)

Hi Kris, welcome! Please know that we are here for you and thinking and praying for you, your surgery and recovery.

Hi Kris:

I hope the colonoscopy yields some positive results and that your surgery goes well and provides you with relief!

Thank you everyone. Iya, the surgery (if it goes well) should provide relief from my symptoms. People who have this type of surgery have about 3-5 bm a day. For me, I don't really have a choice anymore. My large intestine is too bad and meds aren't working anymore. Prednisone doesn't even work that well. Hopefully the 6mp will keep what I have left healthy. I'm sorry it's interfereing with your plans to have children right now. Maybe the Tysabri will get you into remission long enough to go off of it and get pregnant. I've heard some people had less symptoms while pregnant. Not true in my case, but everyone is different.

Hi Kris,

Just a quick welcome to the Forum!
I do hope this next scope shows the rectum to be in good shape!

Please keep us posted and also we would
like to know how your surgery goes.

All the best~Nancy

I had my pre-surgery colonoscopy today. My rectum was mildly inflamed at the bottom and more inflamed towards the top. I don't know if my surgeon will attatch my small intestine to my rectum right now or put in a temporary ileostomy. Does anyone know how much inflamation is too much?

LOSTnut

Poopy
Hello Kris,

wishing you all the best for the upcoming surgery. Couldn't tell you how much inflammation is too much but I had some left (seemingly) when they did the initial resection and the stitches inside came undone. The result was peritonitis (sp) emergency surgery and and an ieostomy bag for the next approx 4 months before they will attempt to do another resection. I wish for you that your's will go according to plan without hiccups.

:goodluck:

I'm sorry Lostnut, I guess it is much better to get it done right the first time instead of having an emergency surgery. I hope you feel better soon.

LOSTnut

Poopy
Thanks, Kris -- I just hope I didn't scare you with my experience. I guess I should have re-read before I posted. Sorry!
Again, wishing you all the best. =D

Just an update. I had my surgery on the 15th. I got home from the hospital on Feb. 20. They removed all of my large intestine and about 2 inches of my small. I was given a temporary ileostomy. Hopefully only for 6 months. After my surgery I was doing great until they started me on oral pain relievers. The first two made me sick and my blood pressure was too low. Finally found a pain reliever that worked and didn't make me want to puke. The ileostomy has been difficult to manage. I've had no problems changing it or emptying it. It was either too much liquid or backed up for the first few days. It's been 10 days and my intestines seem to be balancing out more. I'm still afraid to add foods to my diet yet. Hopefully soon.

I am happy that your surgery went well!! :)
I know many people on here can answer your questions regarding your new temp ostomy.

Hi, Kris! Glad your surgery went well. Don't blame you for being a bit leery regarding adding different foods. I think I would be in your situation too!
Keep us posted,
Michele

ameslouise

Hi Kris - Glad the surgery went well!

If they removed all of your colon, what are they going to do when they take the ileostomy down? Are they giving you a j-pouch? It is my understanding that they are hesitant to give a pouch to Crohn's patients. Just curious.

Keep feeling well! Take it slow with the food, better safe than sorry!

- Amy

Amy, I still have my rectum, so they will reconnect my small intestine to my rectum. You are right about the J-pouch, I can't have one.