Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistula Success Stories » Bye Bye Fistula! The H worked!

02-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
MikeinBklyn
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Bye Bye Fistula! The H worked!

After 1 1/2 years and two surgeries the weekly Humira injections have made the perianal fistula disappear!

Before the weekly dosage the fistula would open again after 10 days, never making it the 14 days.

I had another fistulotomy in October, it healed very well and all that was left was a small tunnel from the anus to the seton loop, about 3/4", to preserve the sphincter muscle.

I started the weekly injections last month and we waited another three weeks for the H to start really working and it did.

I have been fistula free for two weeks and I feel great!

My life is now normal. Hopefully this will last.
02-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
Nytefyre

That's great news!

Hope you continue to feel well!

Who, being loved, is poor?
~Oscar Wilde
02-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #3
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
Awesome news, Mike! So many people on here starting Humira for fistulas treatment. It's great to read a success story! Enjoy your "new" life!
January 2014 - adopted a mostly Paleo diet
May 2015 - still in remission!

Currently Taking
Humira - 40mg/week
Imuran - 125 mg/day
Calcium magnesium citrate
Fermented cod liver oil/butter blend
Culturelle probiotics
Vitamin D
Vitamin C
Biotin
Allegra
02-03-2011, 07:37 AM   #4
luvincookie2001

That is great news. I'm hoping it heals mine too. Luckily I havent had one yet where I needed surgery or even one that extends into the bowel but I have a perianal fistula that just extends a bit into the muscle I think right now. Seems to be getting smaller since the Humira so I'm hoping it will eventually go away.
But yay for you!!
02-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
CrohnsNYC

That is really great. I just started Humira to help with my fistulas and am so hopeful that it will work. I love reading other sucess stories. Gives me hope! Congrats!

Beth
Augmentin

Failed: Remicade and Humira
05-29-2014, 05:44 AM   #6
MikeinBklyn
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Update, 4 years and still closed! Yea!!!!!
05-29-2014, 09:17 AM   #7
Polar bear

My Support Groups:
That's great news!!! How long did you take the Humira? Can you stop once the fistula has closed? Or is this something that has to be done continuously?
05-29-2014, 03:11 PM   #8
MikeinBklyn
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Polar,

As far as I know one must stay on H forever. I was on Humira for about 4 months and the tract would heal. I was doing a shot every 14 days. At about the ten day mark the hole would open, tear. My doc put me on an every ten day schedule and it closed in a few days and has been closed since, 3 years plus. I have no side effects and I feel great, so I guess I'll be taking H forever.

Good Luck!
06-06-2014, 06:24 PM   #9
Jay Woodman

My Support Groups:
Polar,

As far as I know one must stay on H forever. I was on Humira for about 4 months and the tract would heal. I was doing a shot every 14 days. At about the ten day mark the hole would open, tear. My doc put me on an every ten day schedule and it closed in a few days and has been closed since, 3 years plus. I have no side effects and I feel great, so I guess I'll be taking H forever.

Good Luck!
My GI has also recommended Humira for treatment of perianal fistulas. I am extremely anxious about agreeing to treatment with Humira. I appreciate you sharing you experience with Humira : )
Grape Seed Extract
Vitamin C
Vitamin D - 5000 IU Daily
Omega 3 - 2 teaspoons NutraSea daily
Methotrexate
Remicade (+Hydrocortisone)
06-11-2014, 09:36 PM   #10
Polar bear

My Support Groups:
@mikeinbklyn - thanks for sharing your experience with Humira. Nice to hear good/positive stories!!
06-13-2014, 06:32 AM   #11
MikeinBklyn
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks to all. It's an unfortunate part of our condition but I (we) live always "waiting for the other shoe to drop" so to say. Although it has been years that the fistula is gone, I still worry that it will come back. A wise woman, my mom, told me "one day at a time".

Good Luck to all of yoose!
06-13-2014, 08:43 AM   #12
Cookie

Great news Mike! I am glad you are finally getting some results. I started Remicade last month and immediately after starting developed a fistula. I am hoping the Remi will clear it up. Have you tried Remicade for your fistula? I had one years ago and tried to close it with Remicade, but it did not work and I ended up having advancement flap surgery. I have had that surgery twice now and my sphincter muscles are feeling the effects. I do not think I could do another.
Surgeries: 2 flap advancement surgeries for complex fistula
06-13-2014, 06:21 PM   #13
MikeinBklyn
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
No Remi for me. This damn disease has a mind of it's own!

Good Luck

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistula Success Stories » Bye Bye Fistula! The H worked!