• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Flax Seed Oil?

So I've heard this is good for chrons and was thinking of trying some. I was just wondering if anybody else takes flax oil and if they feel better with it? if anybody could recommend a good brand they sell in the UK then that would be great.

Flax Seed Oil does have beneficial properties, but it also has some inherent problems.

It oxidizes fast, so you must find a brand that has a way of keeping that from happening.

Many people get nauseated using it, as it is hard to digest.

I use Krill Oil to get many of the same benefits. Krill Oil has a longer shelf life than Fish Oil and that is one reason I use it.

Here is a site that boils down the differences between the Fish Oil and Flax Seed Oil.

Dan

I take a triple omega 3-6-9 that has fish oil flax seed oil, safflower oil and olive oil in it. Its made by nature made and has worked well for me. I can tell a difference since i started taking it. for one the redness in my eyes isn't nearly as bad and Im not as achy in my joints. I took one a day for a couple of wks then added a second one . They are an easy absorption caplet.

I take a triple omega 3-6-9 that has fish oil flax seed oil, safflower oil and olive oil in it. Its made by nature made and has worked well for me. I can tell a difference since i started taking it. for one the redness in my eyes isn't nearly as bad and Im not as achy in my joints. I took one a day for a couple of wks then added a second one . They are an easy absorption caplet.
Years ago I had an eye doctor tell me I had 'psoriasis of the eyes' and to try eat a tablespoon of flaxseed oil a couple of times a day that it might help.

I thought he was crazy but I tried it for some reason, and I noticed it helped my Crohn's as well. That, plus the threat of surgery, started me to change the way I think about what I was told, and got me on my way, and the rest is history...

He was a Canadian Dr. but this wasn't medical advice he made it clear it was just personal opinion, and based on him and his character I think it was the kind of medicine he picked up from the country he was originally from and trained in, not from the medical schools here.

Now the flax oil was a great help, but I found that just adding that alone wasn't enough to push me over the edge to feeling normal again without medication, I needed a diet change.

Last edited:
Stoney Creek Organic Flaxseed Oil is the best brand I have ever tried.

I used it overseas. I don't know if you can buy it in the UK.

Whatever you get, you will need to buy it from the fridge section in the shop and store it in the fridge at home. As oil goes rancid very quickly, if exposed to heat and light.

I used it years ago but not for UC, so I can't comment on the effects.

Keep it in the fridge, I have not had any problems with flax oil. I have even used it in baking and mixed into yogurt.

I use ground flax seed meal now. I need the fiber and so does my toddler. I just mix it into my yogurt every morning.

I take cod liver oil capsules too. Lemon flavored, by Carlsons, they are great.