• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Awaiting diagnosis

Hi, there! I am a 39 year old mother of 3 children. I have been experiencing irritable bowel-like symptoms for several years and was also diagnosed with endometriosis when I was 21. In July of this year, I started experiencing chronic diarrhea and hair loss. My doctors started running tests and found I was B12 deficient and said something about my liver function being low. They did rule out Celiac disease. They put me on B12 supplements and sent me on my way. I was then sent to a dermatologist for my hair loss but nothing helped. Next I was sent to my OB-GYN because they thought either my endometriosis was flaring up or I was having hormone trouble. They took me off of my birth control that I had been on since 21 yrs thinking the hormones would clear both the stomach troubles and hair loss. No luck on ether. Next I was sent to an endocrinologist to test more hormones. All that turned up was a Vitamin D deficiency so I was put on a high dose of Vitamin D. NEXT I was finally sent to a GI doctor. First they did an endoscopy right before Christmas and nothing turned up. Yesterday I had a colonoscopy done. They found one polyp and the doctor said I had "bumps" in my terminal ileum but said he wasn't concerned about that. They took biopsies of my large and small intestine and I should find out those results in about a week.

Can anyone tell me if the "bumps" in my ileum are normal or if they would indicate small bowel disease or Crohns? I have been sick for over 8 months and no one seems to be able to help me. I can't decide if the stomach pains and constant diarrhea is worse or the bad hair loss. I had very thick hair and I have lost almost 70% now and much of the hair has turned grey. (Again I'm 39 and no one in my family has anything similar. My mom didn't get gray hair until she lost her hair due to chemo at 66 years old!!) Also, can anyone tell me if they've experienced hair loss due to their Crohn's?

As I mentioned in the beginning, I have 3 children who are very active and these symptoms are drastically affecting my life and what I am able to do. I would appreciate any advice you can give.

Thanks!
Kelly, 39
Columbus oH

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Welcome to the forum!! Diagnosis can take some time for most of us, I posted a colonoscopy for IBD this morning and the site is amazing for telling you what to worry about and what not. Everyone is different and most pseudopolps are not serious and can be removed. That can cause pain and blockages if there are many in the Ileum area, where is it in a curvature area to begin with. Biopsies can tell more likely if it is crohns or colitis or crohns colitis. There is much to learn about this disease but here is a good place to start on the forum. Glad you found us, ask away any questions someone is bound to have similiar experiences, let us know of your results. Hang in there.

Hi Kelly, i did have a patch of Alopecia hair loss last year which coincided with a particularly bad period of bowel obstructions, but it was only a small patch and has grown back since so it's not really comparable.

regarding ur B12 deficiency, i know that b12 is only absorbed absorbed in the ileum, but the term 'bumps' could mean anything so hopefully the biopsy results should give u something to go on. Good luck hope u have some clues soon.

Ian

Hi, Kelly. You really are going through the hoops, aren't you? I wish I could give you some fast, quick answers but I can't. No, I have not experienced hair loss (although the hair on my legs can leave any time it wishes).
Just wanted to say hi and welcome.
Michele