Share Facebook

02-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #31
ameslouise

Rebecca85, if it has such good effects, you could plug your nose and pretend the celery juice was a shot of medicine.
That is exactly what I used to do when I was juicing wheat grass! I realized the smell was what was making me nauseaous. So I started shoving cotton balls up my nose while juicing it and drinking it. It helped. But to this day, I can't drive past a freshly mown field without gagging.

I know it's supposed to be the best for you, but that wheat grass shiz is hard core.

- Amy
02-17-2011, 07:13 PM   #32
troydanielbecker

I know it's supposed to be the best for you, but that wheat grass shiz is hard core.
But not as hard core as steroids/injections/resections right?

In my son's case I got a different perspective because he had to swallow liquid forms of medicines because he was a little too young to take pills. He wasn't thrilled about choking down medicines three times a day either, but after a while he's gotten used to it.

(I'm hoping we can switch to a pill soon for his 5-ASA because the liquid form is administered with sulfa drugs--antiobiotics--and we have to work even harder to try and build up healthy gut flora)
02-17-2011, 09:03 PM   #33
Miss Spencer

Rebecca

What sort of juicer did you buy? As that may have a lot to do with it?

Also, what is your general diet like?

Sometimes when you start something super healthy like juicing, you may experience detox symptoms. These can include but not limited to: headache, nausea, flu and feeling a little off. Just drink plenty of filtered water to flush out the toxins and this will pass within a few days.

I would stay away from red pepper juice, for the first few months anyway.

Start off gently and experiment more as you get more comfortable.

Try this mild juice that helps to soothe the walls of your intestinal and helps to stop diarrhea: juice two ribs of celery, two stalks of spinach with one carrot.

Even if you hate to eat celery, you won't taste it in the juice mix. Remember you are juicing to help a serious health condition, not for pleasure on a casual basis. So you need to choose vegetables that will be healing for you. I use to hate carrot juice but I kept drinking it because it helped my bowels so much. And now it has grown on me and I love it.

Apart from water, fresh juice does not mix well with anything else, so always drink juice on an empty stomach.

In the first few weeks you could always mix a little water into the juice if you feel its too strong - don't do this forever though.

In the first few weeks, wait an hour before and after before you eat or drink anything else. As mixing juice with things like cheesy pizza, will cause bad food combining and that will produce lots of farts and burps.
02-18-2011, 03:19 AM   #34
Rebecca85

Miss spencer- it is a centrifugal juicer that was given to me, but I filtered the juice through filtering paper to remove any residual pulp.

General diet- for the most part I cook from scratch, fresh meat with homemade sauce and potatoes or rice, might have the occasional piece of 'junk'- like yesterday I had a pot of bought chocolate mousse.

I now drink 2 litres of water every day, I do have coffee in the mornings but then switch to water for the rest of the day.

I drink the juice as a midafternoon snack- 2 hours after lunch and 2 hours before dinner.

My main problem with the juice is stomach pain- a mild version of the pain that landed me in hospital- not any of the detox symptoms you talk about. I have been sticking to juicing one carrot at a time (or I tried an apple in case there was something specific with the carrot) and I can't even tolerate that so I doubt your recipe will sit right! And yes I will taste the celery in the mix! Though I would be willing to try plugging my nose.

125mg azathioprine
4g Pentasa
02-18-2011, 03:43 AM   #35
Miss Spencer

My main problem with the juice is stomach pain- a mild version of the pain that landed me in hospital
You know your body best, so you need to do whats best for you.

Maybe you should stop for now and try again later. Hopefully you will have the good fortune to have the same results I did.

Juicing is the single best thing I have ever done for Ulcerative Colitis. A complete life saver. I thank heavens every day that I discovered it.

Interestingly, most of things you mentioned on your general diet, give me the most terrible pain and flares.