• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sore mouth

sore mouth

Hi,
I have been experiencing an incredibly sore mouth over the last few days and was wondering whether anyone experiences symptoms like this. There is red spots and irritation on the roof of my mouth, as well as a gross taste. It’s getting to the stage where I can't eat because it hurts too much.

Are you on entocort/pred or immunosuppressives. If so you could have oral thrush. You can buy some gel from a pharmacy for that. Also iron, b12 and folate deficiency can cause a sore red tongue ..though wouldn't cause you to have spots on the roof of your mouth.

if you get mouth ulcers on the inside of your cheek, roof, tongue.. anywhere in there it could be a side effect of your crohn's and can be painful. One thing that works for that is triaminiclone dental paste. it is by prescription only.. however works great.

Thanks for your replies. I’m not on any medication, I’m still undiagnosed. I made a doctors appointment for tomorrow because it's getting worse so hopefully they will figure something out and hopefully prescribe something like the triaminiclone dental paste you suggested girlygirl.

Thanks for your replies. I’m not on any medication, I’m still undiagnosed. I made a doctors appointment for tomorrow because it's getting worse so hopefully they will figure something out and hopefully prescribe something like the triaminiclone dental paste you suggested girlygirl.
Elise - I think this is the product Girly Girl is referring to http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?id=24239

It's basically a topical corticosteroid made especially for oral use.

Aphthous ulcers are pretty common in Crohn's, but can also appear for a variety of other reasons, like herpes simplex infection. These though tend to be white in color, rather than red, but of course, "your mileage may vary", as they say. Here's a good Wikipedia article on them: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphthous_ulcer

Last edited:
Hi guys,

David - it is the rx i was referring to. Thank you for the link!! The recurrent apthous ulcers, the RAS - i think are distinguised from other diseases. And in CD tend to show up when you are flaring, or about to go into a flare. I get them on my tongue when i start to feel bad. And i take Prilosec 40mg/day to control acid in my stomach.. and for stomach ulcers. I'm not sure if there is a connection from stomach ulcers and those, but they can be very painful! It was a good while before i received my Crohn's diagnosis, and my General Practitioner only prescribed lidocane mouth rinse for them before, so i could eat. And apparently some Dr's just aren't aware of the connection with IBD and the apthous ulcers, and the triaminiclone paste that actually helps get rid of them.

Anywho.. wanted to say hi, and thanks!
~Mon~