Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Concentration and memory issues

12-14-2015, 04:22 AM   #61
fuzzy butterfly
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi i feel like im in a fog alot. My head just dont wana work sometimes. Memory not good n i seem to kinda shut off into a daze. Not on meds n in remission but still!!!. Maybe its due to the major fatigue i suffer or just the crohns. Im 53 so maybe old age too lol. 💕hugs to all
12-14-2015, 09:59 AM   #62
The Real MC

My Support Groups:
Autoimmune diseases can have a number of mental related disorders.

I was having infrequent brief periods of vertigo during active crohns. In the past year while I had crohns under control, haven't had ANY vertigo.
12-14-2015, 12:04 PM   #63
cdnrose

My Support Groups:
I've had the brain fog going on since 2011, sometimes it is worse than other times. It seems to be my short term memory mostly and I'm a fair bit more clumsy than I used to be. I chalked up to lack of sleep starting in 2011 when I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, I couldn't get more then 2 hours of sleep at a time. My crohns diagnosis didn't come until earlier this year and the memory and clumsiness issues didn't worsen when the crohns symptoms starting to appear.

I'm thinking it is more of an autoimmune disease thing opposed to just a crohns thing. There is so much going on when your body is fighting itself. We lose sleep, we don't always eat as well as we should, I don't exercise like I should, there is the meds that make me tired. After both my diagnosis my GP asked me if I needed anything for depression so I guess he figures autoimmune disease and depression go hand in hand.
12-14-2015, 12:21 PM   #64
Lady Organic
Forum Monitor

Effect of kiwifruit consumption on sleep quality in adults with sleep problems.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21669584

Serotonin (well-being hormone) is produced at 90% in the GI track. the quality of food we ingest may play a part. certain foods rich in triptophans may help.

Diet: ''IBD-AID'' : http://www.nutritionj.com/content/13/1/5+ organic food only
suppl Curcuminoid extract, Inulin,psyllium, apple pectin, Vitamin D

past meds:
pred 50mg, 5-ASA, cortifoam, Imuran (failed) Purinethol (success) methotrexate (failed CD and arthritis).
12-14-2015, 01:05 PM   #65
Echodog

There are so many possible reasons for memory loss before we even get to Crohn's it gets overwhelming. I've had trouble with memory for years. I'm a musician and when I started college, learning a new song was impossible. I also had Leukemia when I was 13 (caught within hours because I was in he hospital for Crohn's) I know some of the chemo I had was known for memory loss and that one was injected into my spinal column going to me brain.
All of that being said, memory loss, brain fog etc can be caused by stress , which we have no shortage of while living with Crohn's . Other possibilities can be dehydration, also common for us. I think when B12 is low that cam be a contributing factor. Don't forget lack of sleep as well.
Then there's the big one for me-depression. I've suffered from a pretty bad depression from age 15. I'm 46 now and I think the shrink has found a cocktail that is making it easier to deal with life.
My advice is to see your internist and get some bloods done. That cam help factor out some stuff. I would also say that fatigue and brain fog are probably related.
Be proactive and talk to the doc. I have had this disease for so long I kind of gave up being my own advocate and just did what I was told. I've had a rough time lately and so I'm really trying to advocate for myself. It's hard to change my ways but I question whether my GI is invested in my problems anymore and a, trying to be as proactive as possible. Good luck!
04-10-2016, 06:02 AM   #66
Ohpoo

I've experienced these brain fog symptoms that have lead to work or other activities taking much longer to complete. What does this mean for my career ladder? I've thought about new career paths to better control my schedule, as noted above.

Has anyone made that job transition? How?

Changing jobs to better suit my current abilities is a a deflation of ego and wallet - this loss is hard to emotionally cope with, too. Has anyone had a career counselor of sorts help with this process?

04-10-2016, 10:21 AM   #67
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
Interesting. I had labyrinthitus for 4 months then 2 months later I had my first Crohn's flare.
Brain fog is awful. I've never really got my memory back like it was before since being on Pred for 6 months. Dunno what to blame it on - the meds? the anaesthetics for various procedures? or just the rigours of dealing with a chronic disease? Also, I'm now 56 years old.
My head's a mess at the moment. Flaring after 3.5 years remission and suffered a Portal Vein Thrombosis and am on Warfarin which really freaks me out so anxiety levels are through the roof and anxiety leads to................brain fog. AAArrrgh.

Previous: Prednisolone, Mesren, Omeprazole, Infliximab, Azathioprine
Current: Pentasa, Librax, Warfarin
Helen x
04-10-2016, 10:51 AM   #68
Tuff

My Support Groups:
I had a pulmonary embolism five years ago, and have been on Warfarin ever since. Apparently, people with Crohn's have a higher incidence of DVT's. I'm more cautious and careful, but other than that it hasn't really impacted on my life. I gave up my stressful job because of Crohn's, and that helped tremendously, but I took a big cut in my pay check.

Stelara, Warfarin, calcium, Vitamins B12, D.
Previously: 5-Asa, Cipro, Flagyl, Prednisone, Aza, Remicade.
Pulmonary Embolism, DVT's, osteopenia, Peripheral neuropathy.
04-12-2016, 11:29 PM   #69
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
Hello Tuff and thanks for the reply. Do you think you will be on Warfarin for life? My docs are saying maybe only 3 - 6 months for the Warfarin, but it will depend on the blood test results at my next appointment. I am slightly less freaked out about it now - except when I am in taxis or trying to cross the road!
I live in Yangon in Myanmar ( Burma ) and I'm a teacher, but I may have to make some life/work changes too.
04-13-2016, 02:58 PM   #70
onolox

Is so good to read this posts and find the answer to my brain problems, I almost had gone to a doctor to test for alzheimer's.

I have all this symptoms, brain fog, difficulty to think and remember everyday words.

I'm a software developer, and everyone that work with his mind perceives this problems. I wanted to immigrate from a awfull country to a good country to have a good life, but with Crohn's and all this problems... I'm stuck here.

It's such a blow of life, you are in the apex, and life hit you in the shins with a aluminum baseball bat and breaks your legs.
04-18-2016, 12:32 PM   #71
Tuff

My Support Groups:
Hello Tuff and thanks for the reply. Do you think you will be on Warfarin for life? My docs are saying maybe only 3 - 6 months for the Warfarin, but it will depend on the blood test results at my next appointment. I am slightly less freaked out about it now - except when I am in taxis or trying to cross the road!
I live in Yangon in Myanmar ( Burma ) and I'm a teacher, but I may have to make some life/work changes too.
I was told I will be on it for life. There are other blood thinners that you don't need to go for monthly blood tests with, but they are $100 a month, which I can't afford. I try to get rid of as much stress in my life as possible. Now that I'm in remission, the brain fog has gone too. I wonder if it comes with inflammation?
04-19-2016, 10:25 AM   #72
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Sometimes, I have trouble remembering the words for simple things.
04-19-2016, 03:31 PM   #73
fuzzy butterfly
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Iv been in remissoin for over 2yrs n my brain fog seems to be getting worse. Thinking is becoming harder and my concentration well thats going fast outa the window. I kinda function on auto pilot most of the time 😕

Last edited by fuzzy butterfly; 04-20-2016 at 12:10 AM.
04-19-2016, 08:21 PM   #74
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
I was told I will be on it for life. There are other blood thinners that you don't need to go for monthly blood tests with, but they are $100 a month, which I can't afford. I try to get rid of as much stress in my life as possible. Now that I'm in remission, the brain fog has gone too. I wonder if it comes with inflammation?
I'm sure I read somewhere that when you are flaring, your body diverts all it's attention to fighting the disease and its symptoms, so I guess that will include the brain too. It's great to hear your brain fog has gone. Maybe there is hope for me yet!
05-02-2016, 01:26 PM   #75
Rooms

Ever since I got this disease i am told that I look depressed. Even when I am not. Its just lack of energy and the in decesiveness for expressions that I face everyday. Seeing your post reminded my how I have slowly lost memories and people are usually at awe about my inability to recall something that happened a week ago sometimes. Sometimes its because we can not concentrate and live fully in the present due to the pain. I hope I am clear enough. A part of us lives in the abdomen. Its like you are half present and half absent and that may also contribute in having vague memories that can easily vanish from time to time.
05-02-2016, 01:27 PM   #76
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Ever since I got this disease i am told that I look depressed. Even when I am not. Its just lack of energy and the in decesiveness for expressions that I face everyday. Seeing your post reminded my how I have slowly lost memories and people are usually at awe about my inability to recall something that happened a week ago sometimes. Sometimes its because we can not concentrate and live fully in the present due to the pain. I hope I am clear enough. A part of us lives in the abdomen. Its like you are half present and half absent and that may also contribute in having vague memories that can easily vanish from time to time.
Sometimes, I get absent minded.

05-04-2016, 08:02 AM   #77
Ihurt

My Support Groups:
Most definitely adrenal fatigue. I think any chronic illness can cause it. A painful chronic illness is going to cause some degree of stress and that will tax the adrenal system which will in turn effect hormones and can result in moderate to severe fatigue and sometimes depression. It sucks.
09-13-2016, 10:29 PM   #78
bunnygirl

My Support Groups:
Have been having a lot of memory issues most of my life. Always assumed it was because I have never slept well. Diagnosed with Crohn's 2 years ago during surprise small bowel resection (jejunum). Following 2nd bowel resection I am now on mostly liquid diet (adhesions have stiffened my bowels and strictures have made solid food too much of an adventure) for past 2 years. I apparently have serious absorption issues and vitamin deficiencies. Today I found out that I have very little dopamine and serotonin. Have start reading up on neurotransmitters. Perhaps that explains the brain fog, losing my glasses constantly, trouble finding the right word, etc. Even with such low levels, I am not depressed at all, I exercise vigorously 3-4 times a week, etc. My nutritionist is starting me on 5-htp for the insomnia. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone??? Has anyone tried 5-htp??? I start on B6 (my level is literally 0 on the lab report) and magnesium in the next few days.... Don't worry, be happy, and hug someone!
09-13-2016, 10:47 PM   #79
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Sometimes, I think I can relate to the brain fog

09-14-2016, 03:36 AM   #80
kikig

My Support Groups:
Yep, I have this as well - more severely than normal - probably "chemo brain" after effects though.

I have wondered about adrenal fatigue before in relation to sustained internal stress levels.
Add chronic illnesses and vitamin malabsorption onto chemotherapy and well, the ideal ground for memory loss.

Its frustrating.

I have started "retraining" my brain - memory exercises and recall - thats the only thing I can really do. I now tend to write alot of things down - postit style and organize it later. I do it discreetly and make it look like doodling, but I feel a bit less stressed if I know I have a note written somewhere. It helps

Regular Medication: Mixed diuretics, 1000mg Calcium, 10,000i.u VitD, 125 ug L-Thyroxin, IV iron and IV albumin, lowfat high protein diet

DLBCL aka Non Hodgkins Lymphoma - 2003 (RCHOP) and 2016 (RICE plus stem cell transplant)

Last edited by kikig; 09-14-2016 at 04:01 AM.
09-14-2016, 07:26 AM   #81
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yep, I have this as well - more severely than normal - probably "chemo brain" after effects though.

I have wondered about adrenal fatigue before in relation to sustained internal stress levels.
Add chronic illnesses and vitamin malabsorption onto chemotherapy and well, the ideal ground for memory loss.

Its frustrating.

I have started "retraining" my brain - memory exercises and recall - thats the only thing I can really do. I now tend to write alot of things down - postit style and organize it later. I do it discreetly and make it look like doodling, but I feel a bit less stressed if I know I have a note written somewhere. It helps
I read a lot and do Sudoku some which should help.

09-16-2016, 03:26 AM   #82
kikig

My Support Groups:
I read alot too, but I get memory blanks where I can't remember sections or entire books I've read so its the recall that gets me.

Sudoku and the like are excellent helpers
09-16-2016, 12:25 PM   #83
Echodog

I've had the brain fog going on since 2011, sometimes it is worse than other times. It seems to be my short term memory mostly and I'm a fair bit more clumsy than I used to be. I chalked up to lack of sleep starting in 2011 when I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis, I couldn't get more then 2 hours of sleep at a time. My crohns diagnosis didn't come until earlier this year and the memory and clumsiness issues didn't worsen when the crohns symptoms starting to appear.

I'm thinking it is more of an autoimmune disease thing opposed to just a crohns thing. There is so much going on when your body is fighting itself. We lose sleep, we don't always eat as well as we should, I don't exercise like I should, there is the meds that make me tired. After both my diagnosis my GP asked me if I needed anything for depression so I guess he figures autoimmune disease and depression go hand in hand.

Playing devils advocate here. I don't discount any of this. I just question the actual reason for cognitive issues. With Crohns, it's the symptoms that mess us up- running to the bathroom can cause dehydration, we are perpetually anemic, low on B12, low on iron... I have fought depression most of my life. Crohns is part of it but for me the depression is a much more global issue. Every one of these issues can cause cognitive problems and that foggy feeling. Put them all together and add the stress of trying to live a normal life while dealing with this stuff and I can't imagine not having cognitive issues. So basically I agree with the result, I just question the actual reason.
09-16-2016, 01:05 PM   #84
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Sometimes, I think my depression is a chemical issue and I wonder if the same chemical could work on our cognition

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Concentration and memory issues