• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

30+ Years With Crohn's...

Hello everyone, I'm Kendra, but usually go by Ken. I was officially diagnosed when I was 8 years old, but had been suffering symptoms since I was born. When my symptoms went from my joints to my gut, it was pretty easy to diagnose as my mother has been struggling with Crohn's since she was 12.

I've had about 15 surgeries. Not all were small bowel resections, but they were all connected to Crohn's in some way. I started off with ankle surgeries when I was 4 and continuing on from there. The year I was 8 I spent much of my time in one hospital or another. After a sbr at age 8, I went into remission for 8 years.

But when I was 16 I started flaring and haven't had much time without problems. Sbr at 16, 21, 22 & 25. Ovarian cyst surgeries at 18 & 20. My gallbladder came out at 29. There was a bunch of other issues and surgeries in there. A couple oral surgeries and broken bones needing surgeries due to weakness caused by prednisone.

When I was 8 years old my doctors had be on 180mg/qd prednisone. We now know just how dangerous that is for a 38 pound child. I was quite the mess. Looking back I'm quite upset that I was treated, medically, the same way my mother had been almost 30 years earlier.

Since then, as everyone knows, there's been huge strides in meds for Crohn's and I've tried almost all of them. When budesinide was approved in Canada, we discussed sending me up to get it. We've looked at different medical trials, but none have worked out as there's virtually no trials up here in Maine. When Remicade was approved I brought the info to my doctor. He said it wasn't approved. I showed him the papers that it had been approved a couple days earlier. We had to wait for it to become available and I was the first in Maine to get it. I was also one of the few who had a severe reaction to Remicade and they had no bloody clue what to do about it. What fun!

I've been basically on the edge of not in remission, but not bad enough to really do anything about it until Christmas 2009. After all my surgeries, times in the hospital and ick, that was my first Christmas in the hospital. I had a partial blockage and my dog (Dragon, he's a maltipoo) had been in bed with me for the week before I went in. He knew something was seriously wrong. He's since become my service dog. (More on that later.)

While I was in over Christmas I met my new GI and I'm so happy! He was covering over the holiday as he's Jewish and I love him like no other GI I've had. I was also faced with learning that my surgeon (he's operated on my mother for her Crohn's & gallbladder, my father's hernia and my Crohn's as well as ovarian cysts - for 13 years) had a major spinal injury and will never operate again. I'm still shaken and lost over it.

I went back in the hospital Feb 2010 with the partial blockage acting up again. After stating I did NOT want steroids, I was given them against my wishes. I now have 40lbs to lose from one doctor playing God after I specifically stated no. From then I went through the gamut of tests, put on Humira, been to a neurologist, have serious neuropathy in both arms and legs as well as serious numb spots. So I'm back on B12 shots (YAY!).

But then, over New Years I was in severe pain - blockage spot - so my GI told me to head to the hospital. Spent my first New Years in the hospital. Due to many major snow storms, it took me a bit to see my GI. We're doubling up on my Humira and deciding in a month if we're going to have to go under the knife again. I'm really at a loss over this as I know how horrible it is and the recovery time is longer and longer each time as I get older.

About the service dog thing - Dragon is amazing. He knows when I'm in pain before I know it and tells me so. He's also aware of when my blood pressure drops too low (on bp pills for low blood pressure and very high pulse rate). The wildest thing he does is to drag me to public bathrooms before I know my insides are going to explode. The first time was strange, since then I've learned to listen to him. When he becomes unconsolable, even my daughter asks me what's wrong with my body. He's quite the amazing little guy and I don't go anywhere without him.

What else about me? I took in a teen girl when her father wasn't treating her well. I mothered her as much as I could as she pushed back against it while knowing I was doing it out of love. She now calls me Mom and I'm looking into adopting her even though she's now 24. I live with my boyfriend and have for almost three years. He has full custody of his kids. 17, 14 and 7. They're all great kids and I've turned into the their mom. We're looking into my being able to adopt them. I can the boys as they're old enough to sign off themselves. We're just not going to be able to with Sam as she's young and her mother won't abide by that. Their mother is stone cold crazy and the bane of our family life, but we'll get through it.

I'm disabled, have been for about 14 years, but I write. I work online writing and while I'm not paid very much, I love it. It's more about keeping me busy, but flexible enough for my body to come first.

That's me in more than a nutshell. It's the writer in me. I get going and just can't stop. If you've read this far, thanks for hanging in there through my babbling.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Kendra :welcome: you have had alot of similiar things going on with your last 30 years of hell as I have had. We don't all have the same things but many issues come about and stress in my past was huge. Not so much anymore. It is always good to keep busy doing what you love, it helps alot.

I love your puppy and your signature, there are many things I dare not to do, but being claustrophobic and now not crazy of heights, I have to venture other things. LOL

Glad you are here, you are going to fit in here perfectly ;)!

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi and welcome from another 30+-er!....that is really cool about Dragon...it is amazing what animals can perceive.....

Hi Kendra glad you found this website...everyone here is GREAT! I am new to Crohn's was diagnosed about 18 months ago and hate it already!!! Thanks for sharing your story...hope you will stay.
:lol2:

Mary

Hi Kendra!
Wow! You have been through it all & then some!
I am an old Crohnie (26 years) that has by hook or by crook, escaped surgery. Each time we get to that point, I suddenly get better enough that surgery seems extreme.
Welcome to the forum. Hope you find what you need here, I did!
Cheers,
Michele

Astra

Hi Kendra
and welcome

Gorgeous dog! Truly an inspirational story, hope you'll stick with us, you'll be a great asset to the forum with your experiences.
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Thanks!

Everyone here seems so nice. I felt funny rambling on and on, but I've learned to put it all out there when it comes to Crohn's as you never know what tiny little bit might help someone else.

Watching TV last night my younger step son and I saw a commercial about RA and how no one's RA is the same. Being 14 he mouthed off that there must be two people with the same RA. I lit into him about autoimmune diseases being different in every physical body. I reminded him of Crohn's and how different mine is compared to Marsha's (my mom). He thought about it and actually nodded. From him, at this age, it's huge that he's admitted he didn't completely know everything about something. It might be that little something from my story that could help someone else. Especially since I've been doing this as long as I can remember.

People - including my love - ask me how I can keep my chin up through all this pain, fear, ick, etc. I always think I'm being a cranky brat about it, but I guess people who haven't had any of this don't think I'm being obnoxious about it - no matter how cranky I've been feeling.

Again, thanks. I've been struggling lately which is why I'm reaching out to others dealing with all this. Much of the time I feel so alone in my pain.

One last thing about my Max (my 14 who knows it all). His little sister (7) was whining about a canker sore and a hangnail last night. He was so annoyed by it that he turned to me and said, "If she every experiences real pain like you have all the time, then she'll realize what a pain she's been about all these little things." Of course it was the big brother's way of trying to tell his little sis to shut up, but it was also a very cool way of him acknowledging what I go through day in and day out. Coming from him it means so much. He's my hardest of the four right now, so hearing a little sweetness from him warms me from the inside out.