• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

First Stoma

Hi my name is Katie - I was diagnosed with Crohn's June of 2010. I had my first surgery 2 weeks ago. I was on preg. and entocort to start. Still had symptoms. tried the new drug called Cymzia and after the second dose things got worse I got an infection and ended up in surgery. Does anyone have ideas on or tricks for having a stoma I seem to be having a hard time getting my bag to empty wthout havng to always clean my bathroom. And maybe some emotional support. I thnk Im ok but I think my boyfriend is grossed out by it. I will be having it reversed in 3 months. Thank you My first post and new to here. Katie.

Astra

Hi Katie
and welcome

I feel the same, you have enough to deal with without his issues, concentrate on yourself for now and get well
Hope you find some answers in the sub forum and some comfort with us
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Hi Katie,
Which do you have? Colostomy or Ielostomy? 3 months will go by quickly - that is the time it takes to even start getting good at dealing with an ostomy. But, then you'll be getting rid of it!

Can you explain more about the cleaning the bathroom thing? Emptying the pouch should not cause a mess.

Hi Joe- I have a Ielostomy. As far as the bathroom thing I mean the toliet. I always seem to be splashing. I try to remember to put toliet paper in the toliet first to help elimate the splash. Then I like to put some water in the bag to rinse in out a bit and get the rest out. Especially when the output is thick. The first week I had to measure all my output so I could let the doctors know how much my out put was daily because I just had my surgery on the 7th. I am using a shorter bag this time because I am 5'3 and the other ones they sent me are long. I am still waiting for my supplies and have a nurse that comes to help me change my bag. I have lke 3 more visits that my insurance covers. But that god my Mom is a nurse and does this for a living!! She can help if I need it. I do have plenty of bags from the hospital I just like the ones that aren't see through! (sorry jumped around with wording). So as far as the mess it's more the tolet splashing thing! Thank you for your supoort. Katie

Hi my name is Katie - I was diagnosed with Crohn's June of 2010. I had my first surgery 2 weeks ago. I was on preg. and entocort to start. Still had symptoms. tried the new drug called Cymzia and after the second dose things got worse I got an infection and ended up in surgery. Does anyone have ideas on or tricks for having a stoma I seem to be having a hard time getting my bag to empty wthout havng to always clean my bathroom. And maybe some emotional support. I thnk Im ok but I think my boyfriend is grossed out by it. I will be having it reversed in 3 months. Thank you My first post and new to here. Katie.
Hi Katie

I had 9 operations for CD (over 21 yrs).Concentrate on getting better & getting your strength back - it takes time.Sad to say but you will now see other peoples true character.I hope for your sake your boyfriend shows concern for you & not the stoma - your still the same person.I found out who i could rely on when i was in serious trouble.
I don't have a stoma,but you will find plenty of good advice on here.
Wishing you well.

I rinse with water too, so I know what you mean. But, practice makes perfect. At work I sit to empty - just to appear more "normal". It is easy to slip and pour that putrid water everywhere if you're not very careful. At home I stand facing the bowl and sort of bend one knee to get low and empty. I could not do that so well until a few months after surgery. So when I was healing I would get on my knees facing the bowl.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, couldn't ever imagine having a stoma. You must be so brave! hope you have lots of supportive people around you!
xxxxxxx

Terriernut

I splash at the front, and I'm a new stoma ite. Dont know the word for it. I sit to empty myself, as being a girl, well, that's self explanatory! I make less of a mess that way. I also use Andrex wet toilet paper wipes to clean my bag a bit, I dont rinse it out. Cant reach the sink with it...I'm 5'1"!! Plus the wet tp wipes are easy to carry around with me now that I can get out a bit. (surgery was the 23rd of Dec 2010) Dont let it get you down! Keep only supportive people around you is my advice. But remember this, you need time to get used to it, and so can others. But you will get thru it. 3 months is a very short time before going in for a reversal! You must be in very good health and very strong. Wishing you the very best!!! You will find lots of support and help here! They have kept a smile on my face and helped me face the worst. This forum has some incredible people on it! Welcome!!!
Misty

Hi i also have an ileostomy and have had it for a year I will be getting it reversed at the end of the year, I stand to empty mine and just bend my knees ( im 5'2" ) and dont seem to have any problems with the splashing! I also have a friend who had one and had it reversed after 3 months and it was just too soon and ended up with it back on after only a few months, if yr boyfriend cant deal with it then is he really worth it you obviousley had to have it for yr health, I still get a bit fed up about mine but think what I used to be like, my 2 children (12 and 9) dont want me to get it reversed as they dont want me to be how I was before but I need to give it one more go without ! hope all goes well with you