• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

When I was diagnosed...

I was diagnosed with Crohns in or around Sep. Nov. of 2009. Befor I was diagnosed I was in pain, in my right lower side. I passed out one saturday and never got my color back and leading up to that I had no energy for over 2weeks. I had a lot of tests done on me before and after. I had my surgery on Monday Dec. 03, it took about an hour. I had my appendix removed and they removed part of my lower small intestine. I got out of the hospital that Saturday and was home for about 2 days and got an infefection where the incision is and my mom had to stuff that for a pretty good time. No need to go into details. I am currently on the medicene Pentasa, I take 2, 4 times a day. I had an appt. a few days ago (I go every 6 months) for a check up. They took blood samples and my sed level was up. Now I have to do a poop sample. As for as pain goes I just have a lot of discomfort every now and then. I watch what I eat and make sure to drink water. I did gain all my weight back which the doctor said was good because that means it's not as aggresive. Not for sure what else to put now.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Kdh, glad you found your way here, lots of warm and friendly people to know and understand what you are going through. My second resection got infected too, it isnt too uncommon. I had pain in my right and had about 2ft total taken out. My good days come go, I just try to stay away from stress. Let us know how your poop sample turns out, and good luck... hope to see you around.

I took my sample back and they told me I had to do two more of them.....
I'll let you all know how everything turns out.

Thanks so much. I'm glad I can come here and talk to others. Before I didn't have anyone to turn too, that I could relate to that is. My mom would find all kinds of information for me and then she found this site for me.

Hi KDH! I know it is really hard to deal with this disease, especially when it is still all pretty new to you. I remember when I first got Crohns, having to do all of the sometimes embarrassing tests, and having to let Dr’s look at my bum was mortifying to me. You will find in time that it really is no big deal. I always tell myself, that they (the Drs), do this for a living, and they have for sure seen grosser things than what ever I could show them.

Even though I was an old Crohnie veteran when I first found this site, I was still able to learn so much from the people on here! They really helped me through some hard times, and helped me find answers that I didn’t even know how to ask before I came on here.
Most importantly, I found that I was not alone in having this disease. When you don’t know anyone else who is sick, it feels like the whole world is getting to live these perfect disease free lives while you are stuck inside not even able to do simple things like eat some times.

Finding this site has helped me to see, not only that other people are dealing with crohns everyday, but also that everyone has some sort of challenge in their lives, weather we know about it or not. It is the challenges that we face that show us how strong we really are.

Welcome to the forum!

Hi KDH! I know it is really hard to deal with this disease, especially when it is still all pretty new to you. I remember when I first got Crohns, having to do all of the sometimes embarrassing tests, and having to let Dr’s look at my bum was mortifying to me. You will find in time that it really is no big deal. I always tell myself, that they (the Drs), do this for a living, and they have for sure seen grosser things than what ever I could show them.

Even though I was an old Crohnie veteran when I first found this site, I was still able to learn so much from the people on here! They really helped me through some hard times, and helped me find answers that I didn’t even know how to ask before I came on here.
Most importantly, I found that I was not alone in having this disease. When you don’t know anyone else who is sick, it feels like the whole world is getting to live these perfect disease free lives while you are stuck inside not even able to do simple things like eat some times.

Finding this site has helped me to see, not only that other people are dealing with crohns everyday, but also that everyone has some sort of challenge in their lives, weather we know about it or not. It is the challenges that we face that show us how strong we really are.

Welcome to the forum!
I was embarrassed at first, but not so much now, like you said it's there job and they have seen much worse.
I was so mad at first though, I didn't understand, I kept asking why me? I was born early only weighing 1p 7/ & 1/2inches, blind in my right eye, and now this...yikes. It seems like everyone else has no care in the world, they do whatever they want to, eat whatever they please. Then my surgery...
:crabby1:

The doctor called a little while ago and told me the first poop test came back fine...yippy! :) The others aren't in yet, I'm really hoping/praying that they come back fine too.
I'll update as soon as they call, it might be about a week or less, not for sure.

Ian

Welcome!

I can totally identify with the 'why me?' feelings (even though you've been through way more than I have!) - I think we've all had them. We know deep down it isn't true that EVERYONE else has no problems, but it certainly feels that way a lot of the time! I've had to come home from Uni for now 'cause of a flare, and my Facebook is inundated with statues from my course mates complaining about deadlines - I WISH deadlines were my biggest concern right now! Sucks to see them all going out drinking too lol.

Congrats on your poop test results :D Definitely keep us updated on your progress, hope you and your GI can work out a way to tackle your discomfort soon.

Welcome!

I can totally identify with the 'why me?' feelings (even though you've been through way more than I have!) - I think we've all had them. We know deep down it isn't true that EVERYONE else has no problems, but it certainly feels that way a lot of the time! I've had to come home from Uni for now 'cause of a flare, and my Facebook is inundated with statues from my course mates complaining about deadlines - I WISH deadlines were my biggest concern right now! Sucks to see them all going out drinking too lol.

Congrats on your poop test results :D Definitely keep us updated on your progress, hope you and your GI can work out a way to tackle your discomfort soon.
Thanks Ian!
I hope your flare eases up for you soon. Yeah, and deadlines...should be the least of your worries!
I haven't experienced a flare up, can I ask what to expect.

ameslouise

Hi Kdh and welcome!

Hope the pentasa is working for you and you are feeling okay these days!

Did I read that correctly that you were born at only 1 pound??? Yikes! Sounds like you are a fighter and can overcome adversity!

Hope you find some good information here on the forum. We're here to help,answer questions, make you laugh or just listen when you need to vent!!

- Amy

Ian

I can't tell you what to expect if/when you experience a flare up of the disease, as it's different for everyone depending on where in the body they get inflammation. Hell my flares are different every time because my inflammation moves around my colon like it's got ADD or something haha. It's always in a different place - last time it was patchy througout and I got a lot of diarrhea, abdominal pain, gas, nausea and ran a fever. This time it's all localised to the sigmoid colon and my only symptoms are mild twinges in my stomach and passing blood and muscas with my bowel movements (which are only about 2/3 per day and often semi-formed!). I really feel quite well, but a flexi-sig showed the inflammation is bad - if it doesn't imrprove I may have to go under the knife for the first time, which is so weird to think about because like I said I barely have any symptoms!

This disease follows no rules or logic and is different for everyone. You just have to take it as it comes :)

Hi Kdh and welcome!

Hope the pentasa is working for you and you are feeling okay these days!

Did I read that correctly that you were born at only 1 pound??? Yikes! Sounds like you are a fighter and can overcome adversity!

Hope you find some good information here on the forum. We're here to help,answer questions, make you laugh or just listen when you need to vent!!

- Amy
Thanks Amy and yes you read it correctly!
My twin sister and I have helped each other a lot!

I can't tell you what to expect if/when you experience a flare up of the disease, as it's different for everyone depending on where in the body they get inflammation. Hell my flares are different every time because my inflammation moves around my colon like it's got ADD or something haha. It's always in a different place - last time it was patchy througout and I got a lot of diarrhea, abdominal pain, gas, nausea and ran a fever. This time it's all localised to the sigmoid colon and my only symptoms are mild twinges in my stomach and passing blood and muscas with my bowel movements (which are only about 2/3 per day and often semi-formed!). I really feel quite well, but a flexi-sig showed the inflammation is bad - if it doesn't imrprove I may have to go under the knife for the first time, which is so weird to think about because like I said I barely have any symptoms!

This disease follows no rules or logic and is different for everyone. You just have to take it as it comes :)
Yikes, I hope you get to feeling better soon. I haven't had any symptoms like that yet.
Thanks again. :)

Well I thought I would let you all know that my poop tests came back fine. I go back to talk about different medicene on March 09. (Remicade and I'm not for sure about the spelling on this one...enuran or something like that) That is what they will more than likely put me on. If you know what I'm talking about could you please let me know so I can look it up and the correct spelling too.

ameslouise

I think maybe you are talking about Imuran. Lots of folks on here on Imuran so you'll find lots of good info if you start poking around.

Glad your poop came back clean! Good luck with the new meds - keep us posted!

-Amy

I think maybe you are talking about Imuran. Lots of folks on here on Imuran so you'll find lots of good info if you start poking around.

Glad your poop came back clean! Good luck with the new meds - keep us posted!

-Amy
Yeah, that's it! I found it and read about it later on. I think the doctor is going to put me on that rather than Remicade.

My appt was yesterday (March 09). I thought I would let you all know that as of now everything is ok. The doc nows I have discomfort every now and then. He's doesn't want to put me on anymore medicene right now since I'm young. Imuran and Remicade are close to steriods (stronger). I go back in August. Hope everyone is doing fine. :) ttyl