Share Facebook

02-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
Esraa

My Support Groups:
I really really need an advice PLZ moms

Hey everyone.. I've been trying to have a baby for the last 8 months.. but no luckk... However my doctor said that he is certain it's not from Chron's disease... ( I still did not go to an OB doctor) I tried to see if i could be pregnant normaly ....

anyway.. I also have heared from several ppl and research thro the internet that imuran could cause premature babies.. or deformation in the babies..

The Doctor told me that it is true... but its a very small possibility.. ( PLz tell me how can any mom live with that possibility thinking about that for 9 months if her baby is gonna be okay )....

so he told me that there is an alternative to imuran.. that doesn't have a possibility to get birth defects.... which is an injection to be taken every 2 weeks.. he said it's expensive but he didn't give me more information about it...
I guess I was already nervous and didn't know what to ask..

I hope any of you ppl out there have any idea about that injection I really can't decide weather to take it or keep on with the imuran.. i just feel my mind is going to pop and i just want to cry.. I want my babies to be healthy at least to have 1 child is enough for me..

Thank you all
02-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
Manzyb
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hey there,

Is the injection you are talking about called Humira? If so, I am taking it right now. Only I take one shot every week. So far I'm in my 8th month of pregnancy and have had many checks on baby to make sure she is okay and so far she is healthy and growing right on schedule.

I have been really worried with all of the medications that I'm on that it will hurt the baby. Everything has turned out okay so far.

Sadie turns 2, 4/5/13!
02-23-2011, 05:34 PM   #3
Esraa

My Support Groups:
Hey there,

Is the injection you are talking about called Humira? If so, I am taking it right now. Only I take one shot every week. So far I'm in my 8th month of pregnancy and have had many checks on baby to make sure she is okay and so far she is healthy and growing right on schedule.

I have been really worried with all of the medications that I'm on that it will hurt the baby. Everything has turned out okay so far.
Thanks Manzyb! I'm happy for you congrats!..

I guess that's the injection the Dr. was talking about.. I just wanna ask you. did he assure you that its better than imuran? does it have any side effects? and are you gonna be taking them while breastfeeding?

many thanks for you reply
02-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
Manzyb
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thank you! i am very happy.

Well, he didn't really compare it to Imuran. I cannot take Imuran as my body cannot metabolize it correctly and I got very sick from it. It can have side effects, but as all medications do, they are pretty uncommon. There are lots of pregnant women who continue to take imuran/6mp and have completely healthy babies. They say that it is more dangerous to stop taking your medication and risking a flare up during pregnancy.

The doc said that it is okay to take while breast feeding, also. I still have my doubts and things about it, but I don't really have many choices as far as medications go anymore.
02-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
Lydia

I have been assured by my doctor that its ok to take immuran while pregnant, because the dose is way lower than what the drug was originally intended for. The drug is an anti rejection drug for organ transplant patients and they take a much higher dose than crohns patients. My doctor has never seen a birth defect at the doses given to crohns patients.
02-23-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
Lydia

This is a really informative video from the Mayo Clinic in regards to all Crohns drugs, during pregnancy and breastfeeding. I highly recommend you watch it.

http://crohnstoday.com/the-impact-of...ancy/#more-147
02-23-2011, 11:02 PM   #7
Janny

We struggled for 7 years to have our oldest (6 years old) and then had a surprise baby 19 months ago and I completely understand the worries about what you can/can't take while pregnant.

There is an amazing doctor out of Toronto, ON who is extremely knowledgeable about breastfeeding and meds, and he has been VERY valuable to me. He is a straight shooter and replies to emails and advocates for Moms and babies. His name is Dr. Jack Newman and although I am not allowed to post links yet, his webite is drjacknewman dot com.

Good luck and I'll send many good thoughts your way!
02-25-2011, 05:53 PM   #8
Esraa

My Support Groups:
Thank you all so much I really appreciate your help! Jenny, Lydia & Manzyb..

I have an appointment tomorrow with my new OB doctor... hope all goes well.. I'll consider all what you said and will discuss it with th dr.

many thanks .. All the luck to all of you ladies ! xxx
02-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
Naddie4589

Salam esraa kef halik? I read you are from SA, ahlan. Your doctor may have also been talking about methotrexate which is a weekly injection which I used as an alternative to immuran, let me know if you need anything else, my daughter has Crohns and itna binehki arabi, if you need someone to talk to
Wish you the best
Salam!
Cyclosporine 400mg
Calcium pills 400mg
Omeprazole 20mg
humira biweekly shot
sulofalk enema
budenofalk enema
02-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #10
Lydia

Except that methotrexate WILL cause severe birth defects. 100% certainty.
02-25-2011, 11:15 PM   #11
AndiGirl
Your Story Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
My crohns is on the lower end of moderate. While I was pregnant with my daughter I was on: Pentasa, Rinitadine (for the horrible acid reflux), multivitamin, and extra folic acid. I had terrible nausea and was also prescribed zofran which is safe during pregnancy. I had one flare-up that required a round of Prednisone. My perinatologist said that everything that I was on was safe. My baby girl will be one in March, and she is a normal, healthy, happy baby. God bless you, and best of luck.

Pentasa 2x500mg (4 times a day)
Zofran (as needed for nausea)
Ginger Capsules (for Nausea)
Multivitamin
Zoloft 150 mg
Ranitidine 150 mg (2 times a day)
Entocort 3 mg (3 capsules by mouth for 8 weeks, then tapering to 2 capsules for three months)
02-28-2011, 07:46 AM   #12
Christie

I was told when I was on methotrexate to def not get pregnant, and I understand that they use it for terminations
04-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #13
Neko76

My Support Groups:
Hi Sorry to hear you are having trouble conceiving but 8 months (while I know seems like forever) isn't all that long in the conceiving world....go see an ob/gyn to get to the bottom of it! I do know that being in remission or as close to it as possible will give you and your future baby the best chance for a less stressful 9 months. I am currently 12 weeks pregnant and have had 2 surgeries in the last month for fistulas....so I understand your stress regarding the potential effects of drugs...I've had to take a lot, including painkillers...=(

As far as the injection the previous posters are correct. Humira is safe for baby from conception up to 32 weeks, then should be stopped until birth as it does cross the placental barrier and baby is being fully exposed at that point (this is also true of Remicade, another injectable biologic). Ask your doctor about these two drugs and try to get all the info you can.

Also Methotrxate is DEFINATELY not for pregnancy.

Hope this was somewhat helpful and good luck getting the answers you need.

K