• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Working out

Hi, had surgery 2/16 and I feel great! Prior to getting sick I was riding mtn bikes, 4-6 days a week and avg 30-60 miles a ride! (divorced since 12/07 so plenty of free time) in 10/10 I developed an abcess and all down hill since then, feeling terrible and couch ridden since then. How long after surgery did you get back to normal workouts? The Dr. said 6 weeks, but thats for lifting, so I will see what he says about riding. Thanks, Billy!

I rested for at least two months before going back to the gym, then I started slow and worked my way up. Swimming is great for this as it's low impact and works all the muscles.

Alex

I started running about 3 months after surgery. I started real easy and have been at it since. If you had laproscopic, you could probably get back sooner. Listen to your body and just take it very easy at first.

It took me quite a while to really work out again...probably about 2 months until I felt well enough. I did do some walking before then, but not really considered working out.

I have been walking everyday. I am 14 days out from surgery and feel 95% better than before! It scares me as to how sick the abcess and fistula were making me. Sitting on the couch right now I feel normal, ready to ride my mtn bike 50-60 miles! I know I must give my body time to heal, I won't return to work until prob April 1st(my work is gigving me full pay and benefits for up to 6 months) I could go back sooner as I am a Superviser for a auto supplier, so I walk around alot but don't do to much heavy work! It is hard not to jump the gun and hit the gym, I am seeing the surgeon today to see what he says, but I feel real good and I know to take it easy for a while longer! thanks Billy.

Well Dr. says resume light cardio, treadmill and bike. I am pumped! I know not to over do it and listen to to my body, but I really feel good and am eating normal, feels weird to eat and not feel any pain after a meal! Surgery was the best thing I have ever done, health wise!

Hi all! I just got back from lifetime, walked 10 min on treadmill and 15 min on bike. Walking out of the gym I felt a few sharp pains in my lower right, not sure what it was, maybe intestines moving around? not sure? but I am home and feel fine! It was nice to get out, I have not been on my bike or to a gym since late Oct, last year. That is when I developed the abcess and lower right fistula. It was awesome to feel normal! if there is such a thing. I am so happy I had the bowel resection! prob the best thing I have done for my health! later! Billy.

I started working out with weights about one month after surgery, but REAL light weight and was careful of working the area of the surgery. At 6 months I went full bore and have done well. My sugery was in June and I am in the gym everyday, just know your body and when it is done for the day stop. Wish you the best

Well, I am on a regular diet, but am a little afraid to eat steak or my honey stinger protein bars, the nuts scare me a little so I am going to hold off for a while. Went to lifetime yesterday with my support team(ex-wife and 12 yr old daughter)hit the treadmill for 20 min at a brisk walk and stationary bike for 15 min at a decent pace. It felt great to get out to the gym and I even broke a sweat! I feel great now but my right groin is a litttle sore, and I had the same feeling when my inestine was leaking out of my lower right abdomin. I have a GI appt next week to see what maint meds Im going on and check my B12 level, which I am concerned about, even though my energy level is fine. I had 12 inch small bowel taken out so I am worried about B12 level in my body. I feel real good, almost normal and will be ready for spring mtn bike riding season! Later Billy