• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

A good start

Hey

I've been reading this forum for quite some time but never bothered registering, I do so now hoping that my story can encourage some people, to show that it's possible to live a normal life with Crohn's

First of, excuse my english, french is my main language!!

I'm a 21 years old male who never had any health / digestive problem until 7-8 months ago. From day to day I started having bad cramps in my belly and to lose blood when I went to the toilets. I went to the hospital and they told me to take some probiotics and that it would go back in order.. Few days later I went back to the hospital because I was literally bleeding to death, I was diagnosed with severe Crohn's and they kept me inside to treat me with intra veinous steroids and to monitor my situation

After two weeks I was out. Unfortunately this interrupted my school session and I could not continue, I needed to stay calm for a while, not my style considering I'm used to drive my family's construction business and do some boxing :ybatty: at least I could focus on my music. I am 6' tall and during this time went down from 160 lbs to 130 lbs. From a lean muscular shape to a living skeleton hehe

They put me on Prednisone for 2 months, starting at 50mg. The symptoms slowly faded and I regained ALL the weight I had lost, and some! I worked out a lot and ate like a bull when my belly allowed me, from 4000 to 6000 calories a day, all SCD legal. I've been taking Imuran since I stopped the Prednisone

The first thing I did when I got out of the hospital was to order Breaking the vicious circle book for the SCD diet and been following it religiously since. It has done wonders for me. I have been (almost) 100% symptoms free since the initial problem

I say almost because I tried to cheat the SCD diet a few times and felt it. When its a small cheat I feel some unusual activity in my belly but no big deal. One time I went overboard, I ate illegal foods for 2 days in a row and drank a large ammount of beer during the last night; the day after I was in pain and had blood on my toilet paper, something I had not seen in many months

Imuran might help my condition but for me it is clear: if I cheat the SCD I feel it. If I only eat SCD legal food I can eat all I want with absolutely no symptoms, no problem with fibers, priceless.

I also belive that physical activity does help. At least is does with the fatigue you may get from meds like Imuran

Right now I couldnt be healthier, I regained my shape, no symptoms, no side effects from Imuran. My life is no different than it was before the disease.. except for food, oh god the smell of fresh bread at the grocery store :lol2: I can only hope it stays this way and that more people who suffer from Crohn's could say the same

It is in difficult times that our willpower is tested, dont give up and do whatever is in your power to overcome the disease!!

--------------

While the SCD diet can feel unsatisfying if you are a big eater, it is also possible to eat in a way that'd put conan the barbarian to shame :) I'm of the always hungry kind and I manage to eat well respecting the SCD, here's a sample of what I eat and drink, should be plenty for any guy

Morning:
5-6 eggs,
10 bacon slices,
100% pure juice
Fruits
Tea

Lunch & dinner:
Massive ammount of white / red meat and cheese <- the bulk of what i eat
Vegetables, salad

Through the day:
Cheese
Nuts
Almond flour pastries
Whey isolate shakes (not really SCD legal but it should cause no problem)

Alcohol:
Vodka
Gin
Apple cider

Last edited:

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
I just wanted to say, "Welcome to the Forum." This is a terrific place to meet people with inflammatory bowel disease that have faced similar experiences and challenges. I like you, I have eaten foods that were not good for me. Oh the pain! Not being able to eat what you want and in the quantities that you'd like is very tough. For me, that's probably the hardest part of having this disease. Make yourself at home.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Welcome! I am so happy to hear you are feeling so well! What wonderful news! Being that you found what works for you, STICK WITH IT! I wish you many, many years of blissful remission!

Hey there

Welcome Timewarp :)
You've got a great positive attitude which I think helps (if you could bottle it, you'd be rich and I'd be buying from you, hahaha!) You've found a formula and it works so stick with it. Fingers crossed you will be well for many years to come :) Good luck and take care.

Paula
x

5-6 eggs and 10 rashers of bacon for breakfast?!?!?! Wow!
That's all I can say haha.
you must have a fast metabolism.

I'm on Azathioprine (imuran) and I find that it alone controls my Crohn's, it's not too affected by diet. Reading some people's posts it seems like diet plays a huge role in their life even when they are "well". I'm vegetarian though, for ethical reasons, so it could well be meat that is my "illegal food" but i will never know :p

ameslouise

Hi Time Warp and Welcome!

So glad the SCD diet is helping you! It has worked wonders for many. Have you ever had any food allergy tests?

Glad you can be med free- a real dream for many of us!

-Amy