• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello

I am 31 and was diagnosed with Crohn's at 15. Looking at me you would never know what hell I've been through with this body of mine. My friend suggested I get on here to share and hopefully learn more from my peers. Living with Crohn's is something I would never wish upon anyone. I've been hospitalized so many times I've lost count. Another wonderful thing about this autoimmune disease is that so many other funky things develop along with it. In the past I've had pyoderma gangrenousm on my left shin(a very painful and scary thing to go through) that left a lovely scar, erythema nodosum also on my right shin and also painful. Two trips to the Mayo Clinic one of which resulted in an emergency bowel resection due to a complete obstruction at the age of 25. Pneumonia, pleurisy twice, multiple Staph infections and just recently developed arthritis symptoms in All of my joints, cause: due to 10 years of remicade infusions. Trying to get a doctor to prescribe alternative and preventative solutions is just as hard as getting them to prescribe pain meds. I am so fed up with the health care system right now. I'm going broke trying to stay alive. I live in Oregon and to get on the OHP Oregon Health Plan I don't qualify unless I have, been uninsured for over 6 months, single and pregnant, or make less than 1,000 per month. I have Kaiser and the pattern I've been seeing in the Physicians is: lets give you more drugs to "see" if this helps, even if the side effects are worse than the disease. I'm so tired.....

Last edited:

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
Welcome Redlocks! This is wonderful forum to belong to. You are not alone and if you check out the various threads, you will make some friends along the way.

Hello & welcome.

I'm new here too.

They still can't sort sort exactly what my problem is, but have a strong suspicion it's CD.

The members here are very warm & supportive & don't mind sharing their experiences.

Looks like you've had a really rough time of it.

Hope you start feeling better soon.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Welcome Redlocks! I really don't envy anyone living in the states with no insurance and have Crohns, it is so wrong to end up broke over a chronic illness. I had a mild case of PG on both lower shins and thank goodness it went away. I do know of one person in my chapter with the ccfc who had it and fought for years to get rid of it. Hope you join us and get the support you need. :hang:

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Redlocks and welcome! I am so sorry you have had it so difficult. And you are so right, you never know what you are going to get with an autoimmune disease. However, try to stay postive. The fact that you have a friend that cares enough to suggest you join our forum to get comfort and information from others with Crohn's is something to be positve about! And I hope you do find treatment that works for you soon!

I'm so sorry for all you have been through. You will find many stories like yours on here that will make you feel less alone, but you will also find stories from people who have found ways to make this disease a little easier. We all learn from each other.

Welcome to our little family!

Welcome Redlocks! You'll get lots of support and info on here. You've had, and are still having a tough time :( I'm hoping you get your meds sorted very soon. Keep your chin up hunny :)

Paula
x

Welcome,
Im from Oregon as well Bend I hear you about health care, I have none :-( It is a scary thing. However we have a clinic here that is on a sliding scale that I go to. The forum has helped with suggestion to my gp doc. I was on Humaria witch I got free at the clinic however I was ex-termly scared of the long term side effects so now im on sulfazalzine. We will see how it works. I wish u the best :) Nice to see you joined the forum

ameslouise

Hi Red and welcome. You sound overwhelmed and who can blame you. It's hard enough to deal with Crohn's itself but it is really tough to have to deal with insurance and coverage issues as well.

Are you on anything now or are you just roughing it out?

Hang in there and enjoy meeting your new friends on the forum. Lots of nice folks and great info here. There's always someone who can offer some tidbit or has been in a situation similar and is glad to offer some guidance.

- Amy

I had a quick chat with my doctor on the phone after work today... He suggested that I wait it out to see if the arthritis symptoms get better which he said could take weeks even months... In the mean time I'm on 6MP 50 mg and a referral to a pain clinic... I finally feel like he wants to help me...

Fingers crossed for you hunny, hope the arthritis symptoms improve sooner rather than later. I hope now you get the help you need. Take it easy. Big hugs.

Paula
x