Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » My Stem Cell Transplant Blog

08-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #61
effdee

Got the PICC line placed today. Still feeling pretty well.

http://mypsct.blogspot.com/
08-16-2011, 05:08 AM   #62
Dexky
To save time...Ask Dusty!

My Support Groups:
I have an over-active imagination and that wire traveling up your vein gives me phantom pains. Thanks for keeping us up to date Patrick. Enjoy that last meal on the outside!!

EJ dx w/ Crohn's 12/09
PSC 3/10

No more 6mp
Currently in the Humira Club
08-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #63
effdee

I didn't feel anything aside from pressure once he gave the shot to numb my arm. The catheter going in feels exactly like you would think. I just kept my mind on other things and barely noticed it after a minute. Not bad at all. Always happy to see your posts!
08-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #64
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I've been following your blog. Sounds like you've been having fun in Chicago! Have you decided on where to go for your last meal? My husband lived in Chicago when he was in art school, so although I've spent a lot of time in the city, it was during a time when we were both poor college students and couldn't afford to go anywhere nice to eat! But, if you're looking for recommendations, I haven't been to either one of these but I will say that I've heard good things about Shaw's Crab House and also about Hot Doug's. Shaw's is obviously seafood and Hot Doug's does gourmet hog dogs and fries. I believe this is only done on the weekends, but they fry their fries in duck fat. That sounds amazing, I both drool and hurt just thinking about it! Anyway, have a great time no matter where you decide to go, and best of luck with the stem cell treatment!
08-16-2011, 03:45 PM   #65
xJillx
Your Story Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thank you for keeping us up to date! Good luck with the hair cut and enjoy your last meal!

Diagnosed with Crohn's Disease - July 2010
Diagnosis of Crohn's Disease Retracted - October 2011

I am still sick and so confused...
08-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #66
effdee

I've been following your blog. Sounds like you've been having fun in Chicago! Have you decided on where to go for your last meal? My husband lived in Chicago when he was in art school, so although I've spent a lot of time in the city, it was during a time when we were both poor college students and couldn't afford to go anywhere nice to eat! But, if you're looking for recommendations, I haven't been to either one of these but I will say that I've heard good things about Shaw's Crab House and also about Hot Doug's. Shaw's is obviously seafood and Hot Doug's does gourmet hog dogs and fries. I believe this is only done on the weekends, but they fry their fries in duck fat. That sounds amazing, I both drool and hurt just thinking about it! Anyway, have a great time no matter where you decide to go, and best of luck with the stem cell treatment!
Thanks, Cat! One of my first thoughts about all the great food here was that I'm lucky to be able to afford it (I'll pass on those $50+ steaks, though). I've heard Hot Doug's is great, but haven't gone. There were almost too many recommendations for places to eat. We mostly picked by location and it was a little overwhelming, so we didn't get everywhere.

Thank you for keeping us up to date! Good luck with the hair cut and enjoy your last meal!
Thank you, Jill!
08-18-2011, 10:27 PM   #67
effdee

One day down already!

http://mypsct.blogspot.com/
08-18-2011, 10:51 PM   #68
ThanksP

Glad you are enjoying my hometown. The thing I miss the most about Chicago is THE FOOD, sorry I missed your blog about it. OK, I miss the Cubs too but they'll never change LOL.

Best of luck to you, you are an inspiration and give such hope. My thoughts are with you!
08-19-2011, 04:30 AM   #69
Dexky

My Support Groups:
You got a nice round head Patrick It's a good look for you! Hope you continue to feel well and as always keep posting!!
08-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #70
effdee

Thank you both. My mom and someone at the salon made the exact same comments, Mark. I'm liking it so far compared to dealing with all of that shaggy hair.
08-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #71
xJillx
Your Story Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
A shaved head looks good on you!
08-19-2011, 07:58 PM   #72
effdee

Thank you.

Still going great!

http://mypsct.blogspot.com/2011/08/day-7.html
08-19-2011, 08:22 PM   #73
ThanksP

A shaved head looks good on you!
I thought the same thing. Ya just never know what you'll find under a full head of hair.

Hang in there!
08-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #74
effdee

Another good day. Starting Cytoxan in the morning.

http://mypsct.blogspot.com/2011/08/day-6.html
08-20-2011, 10:03 PM   #75
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Good luck!...

Dusty. xxx
08-21-2011, 05:09 AM   #76
Dexky

My Support Groups:
I hope you're not bored but I hope your day is uneventful! Will you be allowed to mingle with Burt's other patients? How many are currently undergoing SCT with Burt?

Sorry for so many questions Patrick, but I just thought of another. Does Burt still personally oversee these early stages? I suppose I'm hoping these things are being viewed as more routine!
08-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #77
effdee

I'm sure we'd be allowed to chat but, as you can imagine, they don't encourage immunocompromised people hanging out with each other too much. I think the nurse mentioned that Dr. Burt has 7 patients on the floor at the moment. Dr. Burt is involved the whole way, and visits the patients every morning. It's definitely reassuring to see him, and it gives you the chance to ask him questions directly. As long as everything is going as expected, I don't think he changes anything. The protocol is laid out and essentially routine, but he still oversees everything.

I'm happy to answer questions. I'm not sure of all the things people are interested in hearing about so feel free to ask. I always have the right not to answer!
08-21-2011, 10:39 PM   #78
effdee

Day -5, first of Cytoxan. No issues yet.

http://mypsct.blogspot.com/2011/08/day-5.html
08-22-2011, 05:16 AM   #79
Dexky

My Support Groups:
Holy cow Patrick! My heart rate would get elevated just from hearing that list of meds they were going to put in me!! Glad you seem to be handling them all w/o ill effects!!

Do you have any family who visits? or can they?
08-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #80
effdee

I've adopted the mindset that I'm giving them my body to do what they need and my brain is along for the ride to experience it.

My mom has been with me most of the time. She goes back to her room to keep a good sleep schedule. She'll stay around if I ask her to, or leave me if I want to be alone.
08-22-2011, 09:56 PM   #81
effdee

The real fun began today.

http://mypsct.blogspot.com/2011/08/day-4.html
08-23-2011, 05:17 AM   #82
Dexky

My Support Groups:
I'm glad you still go your sense of humor after all that fun Patrick!! Hope today goes better for you!!

I really appreciate your posting despite feeling so bad. Don't know how you do it!!
08-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #83
effdee

If I didn't have a sense of humor through all of this, I'd be in tears all the time.

You're quite welcome. I'm enjoying the blog myself. It really is so much easier to just post on that than to personally tell friends and family.
08-23-2011, 09:57 PM   #84
effdee

Even more fun today. Gotta make Dr. Burt earn his salary, right?

http://mypsct.blogspot.com/2011/08/day-3.html
08-24-2011, 05:06 AM   #85
Dexky

My Support Groups:
Sounds like you're keeping everybody on their toes Patrick! I hope they get the antibiotic right today! But I guess I'd take hives over nausea too, though I'm not sure about the swollen tongue and throat!!
08-24-2011, 10:15 PM   #86
effdee

I was too drugged up to really noticed how concerned everyone was. Once Dr. Burt was there and they gave me the Benadryl, Hydrocortisone, and Pepcid, I knew nothing worse would happen. The slow onset of the reaction was interesting, to say the least.

Today went much better, but not without a little extra attention.

http://mypsct.blogspot.com/2011/08/day-2.html
08-25-2011, 04:42 AM   #87
Dexky

My Support Groups:
Well, comparatively speaking, I'd say it sounds like you had the day off yesterday. I hope it continues to go smoothly!!
08-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #88
effdee

Today went great. Stem cell infusion tomorrow morning!

http://mypsct.blogspot.com/2011/08/day-1.html
08-26-2011, 04:20 AM   #89
Dexky

My Support Groups:
Wow, this seems to be moving much faster than Ziggy's!! I'm sure it can't go fast enough for you!
08-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #90
effdee

Day 0 went great!

http://mypsct.blogspot.com/2011/08/day-0.html

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » My Stem Cell Transplant Blog