• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New guy

Hi Y'all,
They said I should start here, so I will - although I have perused several times as a lurker first to see if I wanted to participate. I'm not a joiner of anything but this is different for me, so here goes.
I had a long bout (several months) of diarrhea mixed with blood and was feeling week. Because I had a hip replacement surgery last year, my enormous deductible was paid for so I thought, let's give it the works. Hey GI doc, give the upper and lower. He did, found ulcers in my upper intestine, and prescribed Asacol with a diagnosis of UC and possibly Crohn's. A biopsy was taken. This was Dec 23, 2010. Since it was the Xmas holiday, I did not receive the news until Jan 11, 2011 - two week sweating it out.
OK, it positive an I have Crohn's, but a mild case and there is "no reason to expect that it will get worse".

I talked with a friend with the disease for more than 15years, and he filled me up with very valuable information based on experience. But, I thought, since I had a mild case and he was so severe, that his experience and recommendations did not apply to me.
He told me that he never knew a patient that ever benefited from Asacol, that if i didn't have relief if 6-8 weeks I should contact my doctor for the next level.

For weeks later my immune system attacked me and tried to kill me. In retrospect, I think the mechanism was trying to save me, but by the time I reach th hospital I was on the floor from dehydration and shear exhaustion from my body expelling every every ounce - or milliliter if you prefer - moisture from my body. My BP was 70/some-very-low-number-I-can't-remember, and it was... very bad, to me, with a very high threshold for pain.

Two days in the hospital, mostly to get re-hydrated, Rx for the prednisone treatment, see your Gi docs, and thanks for staying a xyz...

Hi,
Welcome to the forum. I suppose it's good that you received a definitive diagnosis and you can begin treatment.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks Joe

Thanks Joe,
There is so much more to the story, but, the details are ...
This site is so female centric in my my brief encounter. sorry Lady's, but you have a propensity to share and we "guys" bottle this stuff up and tend to only speak to other guys.
I will no doubt be a bad contributor.
My best wishes to you all, male or female.
Chris

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
That's okay Chris. You are still a very welcome member in this forum. I believe members should participate on their comfort level. I have a brother with Crohns. I mentioned the forum and he was happy for me, but he is in no way interested. I felt bad at first, but I know where he's coming from. He the strong, silent type. He doesn't speak much in person. It probably didn't help that he was an only boy in our family.

I am one of the monitors here, and will welcome everyone that I can, including the macho men. There are plenty of guys here who you may like to get to know. Some of us females are pretty safe too.

Astra

Hi Chris
and welcome

Yeah, we're all tough as old boots but we don't bite!
We're glad your here
Enjoy the forum
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

ameslouise

Hi Chris and welcome!

Other than the pred, what is your plan for treatment? What options have your docs given you?

Hope you get some relief soon. And we don't mind lurkers, if you're not up to contributing with us old bats!! ;)

- Amy

thanks

Met with my GI doc today and am scheduling a Remicaid treatment. That's what I wanted, no resistance, that's what I got.

I stressed over this meeting for days with two worst case scenarios: He would argue with me over my well researched direction, or, he would show no expert knowledge of the condition and I would have to change docs.

Thankfully, neither was the case. He advised me of my options and was totally in acceptance of my choice.

After considering how much I needlessly stressed over this I decided that I have Pre-traumatic stress syndrome.
Chris

Hi Chris and welcome!

Other than the pred, what is your plan for treatment? What options have your docs given you?

Hope you get some relief soon. And we don't mind lurkers, if you're not up to contributing with us old bats!! ;)

- Amy
Thanks Amy, you got right to the point. You will see my response on the previous thread. I consider myself fortunate to have my friend and CEO a Crohn's patient for more than 20 years. He gave my the top to bottom of his experience and I compared that with my research in forums like this, made my decision for treatment direction, stressed over how to communicate that with my GI doc, and got it done today.

Time will tell if my choice was right, my GI doc didn't disagree, and, I feel like I could get a good night sleep tonight.
Thanks again,
Chris