Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Cimzia/Certolizumab » The use of cimzia and natalizumab in the EU

03-04-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
The use of cimzia and natalizumab in the EU

So while at work today, I came across this information that some people may find interesting as to why the use of these two drugs are not used in the EU for Crohn's.

Below are the direct links. Hope you're all well

http://www.ema.europa.eu/ema/index.j...01ac058001d125

http://www.ema.europa.eu/ema/index.j...01ac058001d125
03-04-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
littlemissh

My Support Groups:
Interesting. Don't think I would like either then!

On Humira every 7 days, intermittent iv iron, regular blood transfusions :faint:
On TPN since March 2016.
03-04-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
ThanksP

It's interesting that they really don't cite much of a reason for not allowing the use of Cimzia. It's too bad because I'd like to think that if it works for someone who has tried everything else, then it's worth it.

Now the Tysbari....ehhh, I don't know that I'd try it either.
03-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Well I'm guessing it would be based on the clinical trials. If it's not shown to be effective in enough patients, the risks of giving the drug don't outweigh the advantages. If that makes sense.

It's interesting that the FDA have approved Cimzia though whereas the EMA haven't..
03-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #5
bwightman

My Support Groups:
Just a question....Cimzia is approved in the EU to treat RA, right? The reason I ask is that my doctor (who's originally from Ireland) stated that in Europe they combine Cimzia with Imuran quite a bit. I assumed he was talking Crohn's, but maybe he meant in general, or for RA patients, or for patients in studies...

Either way, that's the course of treatment he put me on, and even though it's only been about a week, I've noticed I'm feeling a bit better...or more importantly, not feeling any worse.
03-04-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
soupdragon69
ele mental leprechaun

Very interesting reading indeed. Time will tell what happens in the long run. I agree though - wouldnt want the Tysbari at all and wouldnt be comfortable with the potential bleeding with the Cimzia either.

I have just had my remicade/infliximab stopped since new year - would have been on it 4yrs this May - and have always been a bit twitched about the murine aspect of it. Its been stopped because I caught the flu despite my vaccination and ended up admitted with respiratory problems for 9 day in January. Gastro think that the remi has immunosuppressed me too much and its why I am only really recovering now in any meaningful way. Am waiting for review in clinic to decide the next step as I now have nothing meds wise on the crohns front. Watch this space ;-)

IF YOU DON'T JUMP YOU WONT EVER LEARN TO FLY

Brittle asthma 1996, Hypothyroidism 1998, Severe Crohns ileitis 2006 , Severe IBS 2007, Inflammatory/Rheumatoid Arthritis 2008, Sebhorreic Eczema and Folliculitis 1992, Roseca, steroid induced acne and Hidradenitis Suppurativa 2008, Multiple allergies and food intolerances diagnosed from 2003. Newly diagnosed fibromyalgia Dec 2009. Newly diagnosed calcific tendonitis Jan 2010. Chronic Pain diagnosed Dec 2010.
03-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
bwightman- yes, it's approved for use in RA, but not for Crohn's. Interesting that he said that then!

soupdragon- I hope you are feeling better now! A shame that happened if it was working well for you still. Did you try Humira already?
03-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
ThanksP

Very interesting reading indeed. Time will tell what happens in the long run. I agree though - wouldnt want the Tysbari at all and wouldnt be comfortable with the potential bleeding with the Cimzia either.
According to the link, the concern over bleeding was removed in March of 2008.
03-05-2011, 04:31 AM   #9
soupdragon69
ele mental leprechaun

Hi Misty, Yeah it was working fairly well for me as was on it every 6wks. Havent had Humira but it has been discussed in the past as a back up if the Inflix didnt keep things at bay. We will see eh?

Hi ThanksP, Yes I am aware it was "removed" but a drug like that will always have it as a potential side effect even if the "major risk" was removed, just as many others do.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Cimzia/Certolizumab » The use of cimzia and natalizumab in the EU