Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Low Dose Naltrexone » What types of maintance meds with LDN?

03-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
DanaDeadPetals

What types of maintance meds with LDN?

Hello everyone! I was just wondering what kinds of maintenance meds work best with LDN from your experiences? I been doing a lot of research and I'm ready to give it a try. I see my GI on Tuesday and I'm going to ask him for a prescription. I understand it's hard to get one sometimes and I don't think it's going to be easy to convince him, especially if I tell him I want to go off the immune suppressors. I think if I tell him I'm open to adding something to the mix, whether it be Pentasa or another med, he would maybe take my request more seriously. Any advice will be greatly appreciated and researched accordingly Thanks in advance.

Remicade every 6 weeks
6MP 50MG daily started 3/8/11

No sugar, limit dairy, no fast food, fried food, or processed food and lots of water.
03-04-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
D Bergy

Other Crohn's meds work opposite of LDN, so LDN is a stand alone treatment as far as other Crohn's meds are concerned.

LDN boosts the immune system, the others damped the immune response.

Dan
03-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #3
DanaDeadPetals

So not even the 5ASA would benefit? I'm flaring now, so I know there is no way I could quit all meds and start LDN I'm still going to plant the seed with my Dr. though.
03-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
D Bergy

Some doctors will wean you off your current medication, and simultaneously start you on LDN. It is a temporary measure.

You would have to ask your physician on how he likes to go about it. It is probably not a good idea to start LDN if you are flaring. It may make it worse in the short run, as your immune system kicks in.

Dan
03-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #5
DanaDeadPetals

the new study that just came out allowed participants to be on 10mg of prednisone as well as a couple of other crohn's meds. Remicade was not allowed within an 8 week window of starting the LDN. Still, it seems like these types of drugs would work against the LDN...
04-09-2011, 04:28 AM   #6
crushingcrohns

Hi Dana. I read your post asking about the meds that would support ldn because you want to try something different and you don't think your doctor would be too happy about taking you off the biologic meds. HA I'm a sucker with doctors and dont get intimidated by them and advocate for myself strongly. If I don't agree, I refuse. Remember it's your body. You have to wake up every day and live with the disease, not your doctor.
Bring in the clinical studies, some doctors dont even know about LDN. Educate them because this drug does not get the marketing and attention like the biologics (there is no incentive for the FDA to approve the drug for diseases like ours because it's cheap and is not a money maker, it's a low cost drug) It's sad and wrong if you ask me. But bring dr. documents and resources, be firm, it's your health. Oh & immunosuppresants are not the mildest of drugs. I have a very bad feeling about them. I used to be on Remicade and I never felt right being on it. LDN is Muuuuuch safer, cheaper, and it's effective!

But... by now you had your appointment?? How'd it go and what did you and doc decide?

Diagnosis - Crohn's colitis & Pancolitis 2009-current, 97-09 UC, Osteoporosis, controlled anemia with iron infusions

http://ahhhhhihavecrohnsdisease.blogspot.com/

[email protected]

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Low Dose Naltrexone » What types of maintance meds with LDN?