Share Facebook

03-04-2007, 03:19 PM   #1
carolinajak

Elemental Diet Brands

So I am getting ready to do the elemental diet thing and wondering if anyone had any suggestions of the best products out there? Taste I guess is one of the main things, but a low cost would be helpful as well, although I imagine money should not govern this decision. Its gotta go on the credit card anyways.
03-06-2007, 02:45 AM   #2
crampygut

Hi carolinajak, I too am very interested in the best tollerated elemental liquid meal made specifically for IBD sufferers, I have tried Modulen IBD which is supposed to be made for Crohn's sufferers but when I took it it gave me very very loose bowels. Maybe it will suit you though, maybe you can give it a try.

If anyone can suggest another liquid meal that is very well tolerated please let us know. I am trying to increase my calories to try and gave weight and supplementing a solid meal with a liquid one would be a great help to me. THANX
03-12-2007, 07:21 AM   #3
soupdragon69
ele mental leprechaun

Hi Carolinajak and Crampygut,

I have been on elemental since the week before Christmas 06. I have Elemental 028 by SHS. Some of the flavours I started out on I cant look at ever again! Overall though I can manage with orange and pineapple in 250ml cartons for work, orange, citrus, lemon and lime, blackcurrant or pineapple in sachets that make up to 500mls a time. They also come in grapefruit or forest fruits cartons, cherry vanilla, grapefruit, erm think there are others too cant remember them all! Your palate does adapt though and its good there are so many flavours to choose from.

You need to introduce them slowly and drink lots of water (which the company recommends is mineral water rather than tap) so you dont end up fainting with low blood pressure the first few days. I agree Crampygut they can cause diahorrea but it should settle within a few days they told me at the start. Be aware that it can be alot to drink or build up to - my dietitian worked out I needed 3 litres of the drinks a day which worked out at 12 cartons, I only managed 8 most days and 10 on a good day!

Originally I was supposed to do 2-3 weeks on elemental then a LOFFLEX diet (which you can google). I ended up doing 8 weeks on elemental then managed a week eating on the LOFFLEX. Had to go back to elemental another 2 weeks and have just started last Thursday on a strict elimination diet now. My consultant says he thinks it will be hard to find enough food for me to eat, that I have a highly reactive immune system and we have to go slowly (I am introducing a food every 4th day). So overall looks like I will be on the elemental drinks for some considerable time.

I dont mind though because I do feel so much better. It can be very tough initially and the next phase is when you start to feel better and want to eat, but I am just glad I have some positive results and feel great at the mo. Will do anything to keep it like that at least for a while!

I live in the UK so I am not sure if you can get the SHS drinks there or the cost but they are worth a go.

Hope this helps.

Jan

Last edited by soupdragon69; 03-12-2007 at 07:26 AM.
03-12-2007, 07:50 AM   #4
monicaleigh

Hi,

My 15 yr old son was on Modulen for almost 6 weeks. He did ok the first week, but the rest totally grossed him out. He would gag everytime and mentally prepare himself to drink it. I ended up putting it in the magic bullet, with choc. flavored ovaltine, and ice to make it like a shake. Also, it is very expensive, so I was able to order it through Costco Pharmacy for a lot less. We also, added a scoop of Duocal to it to add calories and he definitely gained weight.
03-21-2007, 01:51 AM   #5
Mazen

Hi guys. I once tried to go elemental, so I asked my GI about Modulen IBD. When he read the ingredients, he told me this is not a good product at all, especially as it contains some kind of milk and dairy (casein), and recommended I try Elemental 028. I bought the sachet but never tried it. Everytime I looked at it, I would go very nauseous. So I went on a bland diet instead and luckily it worked.

I read on the net about another product that seems to be good, also if you are on normal diet as it helps gaining weight also. It's called absorb plus. Unfortunately it is very expensive and I cannot find it here in Lebanon. If anyone tries it, please tell me if it's worth ordering here, as i need to gain some weight. The link is below:

http://www.absorbplus.com/absorb/productinfo.asp

Last edited by Mazen; 03-21-2007 at 04:53 AM.
03-21-2007, 09:06 AM   #6
TammySue62

My Support Groups:
Hi Everyone

I drink ENSURE it comes in muliple flavors.I like stawberry the best.
It may give you "D" at first but is worth it.Can drink up to 3 cans a day
and it replaces a meal with just drinking one can.I gained about 10 lbs in
2 weeks so now I just drink one can a day.Don't want to get to fat.LOL
I think it costs around $ 18 canadian and you get 12 cans.
You can get your Dr.to put it on a prescription to cover costs.

HAPPY DRINKING TAMMY

HAVE HAD CROHN'S DISEASE FOR 30 YEARS AND STILL GOIN
03-21-2007, 12:58 PM   #7
carolinajak

does ensure have dairy in it at all?
03-21-2007, 07:14 PM   #8
Brando

i've read some reviews about ensure and most claim it is nothing but sugar water.
03-26-2007, 09:47 AM   #9
TammySue62

My Support Groups:
Hi
Nope
Just read the can it says Lactose free
03-28-2007, 03:26 AM   #10
Mazen

I once tried Ensure. It made me worse ....