• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Good Evening

Well, I'm not going to bore you will all the details off my illness as chances are most of you have been through the same thing and sadly some of you will have had things worse.

I was diagnosed when I was 12/13 - not the best age right? It took a while to diagnose as my local hospital had no idea what it was from my symptoms and I was very ill losing a hell of a lot of weight - bearing in mind I'm not the biggest person anyway..

I was in a childrens hospital for around 3 months + before I was back on the mend and for a little while I was fine and getting better however in the next few years I kept having relapses and well these would last a couple of months and it would end on me being put on Steroids for the same length of time. This was all the same since last April/May where my large intestine was so badly infected it had burst which led to me having the majority of it taken out and now I have a Stoma.

The Stoma has led me to have a fairly normal leading life and apart from a few hiccups it's like I don't have crohns anymore.. I'm only taking Azathioprine at the minute.

Hope to learn a few things about the illness and how bad it can get and if there are things to help you feel better when you have a relapse.

my names Tommy (As you may have gathered) I'm from Bury, lancs but currently in Sheffield doing a Computing degree. Anyway feel free to PM if you'd like to talk and I'll see you all around.

ameslouise

Hi Tommy and welcome!

Glad you're feeling okay these days and have adapted to life with the stoma. There's a stoma subforum here, so take a peek over there - I'm sure you can add some valuable information with your experience.

If you are looking to learn a few things - you came to the right place!

- Amy

Hi Tommy,
Nice to meet you. I'm a fellow ostimate - I've had my Ileostomy for about 11 months.
Welcome to the forum!

Hello Tommy! Its lovely to meet you! I am very sad to read you've been ill since you were so very young :(. However you've done incredibly well to adapt to your situation with the stoma, I'm so happy your quality of life is much better now than in the past :).

I'm very glad you found the forum, there are some really lovely and supportive people on here, who actually understand things that most folks don't. When folks understand, I find that it can make it easier to deal with the things that go with these kinds of health conditions.

You take care of yourself
Big Hugs
:ghug:
xxx

Astra

Hi Tommy
and welcome fellow Brit

You're not so far from me!
You'll be a great asset to the forum with your experiences, see you around the boards!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Tommy! I am so happy to hear you have adjusted to having a stoma and feel as though you don't even have CD anymore! That is just wonderful. You are a true inspiration. I wish you years and years of blissful remission!

Hey there Tommy,

Just wanted to welcome you to CF. It sounds like you've already been through a lot, though it's good to read that you are doing relatively well currently. I hope that your future brings many years of remission.

We are a friendly bunch here so if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!:)

See ya on the boards!

Hi Tommy! I had an ostomy for six months and I felt just the same way; like I didn’t have Crohns at all. Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the replies peeps always good to hear from friendly people. I'll try and stay as active as possible and like i said before feel free to Pm me about any questions you may have.