• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Imuran and Going Off

I am a 28 year old female. I have been on Imuran (azathioprine) for 7 years. I recently developed a painful shingles rash on my arm due to my low immune system. Thankfully, I received treatment right away and it has subsided. My dr. took me off Imuran so the shingles would go away. I've been on it so long, I'm concerned as he may want to put me on something else. Has anyone gone off Imuran than back on? Will I experience side effects going back on it? It feels really weird being off all pills! Do most people with cd take preventative pills?

Hi! I have heard of people lowering their dose of Imuran during an infection, and raising it back up again when they're better, but not stopping it completely. I think it is a good idea to be on a preventative, but maybe something like Pentasa would be suitable to prevent future flare ups, since it doesn't have so many long term effects. Anyway, hooe your shingles clears up soon!