• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hernia help?

Terriernut

Hi all. I was just at the surgeon's appt today and I mentioned that if 'Stan' got any bigger he was gonna ask to vote. I also said my LUMP wasnt going down around Stan. Although I was told I'd have a lump around my stoma, it seems tender, hot, and bigger. I cant wear normal clothes like you young folks, instead I look like I'm pregnant on one side of my body. (sorry, I always had a fantastic figure before!) It's disgusting. I also had the displeasure of hearing they didnt think they'd ever be able to reverse my surgery! I was told before I went into surgery that if my bag was on the right it was permanent, if it was on the left, it would be temporary. As I had surgery on the night of the 22nd of December, I didnt really see a surgeon again until today, as they were all off happily enjoying xmas and turkey!

Anyway, how many of you have had problems with hernias, and what do I do about it?? I rang the stoma nurse, and I'll go see her on Weds afternoon. But I dont know WHY this happened and WHAT I can do about it? The surgeon didnt want to operate again yet, as I'm still recovering from the first surgery. Thank you for any help!!
Misty
And Stan...who DOES want to vote, and thinks he should order chinese takeaway!:cool2:

Nyx

Fortunately for me, I have no hernia advice (although my surgeon told me not to get any fatter as that's a contributing factor apparently) so hopefully someone else on here can help you out there..... Also, just so you know, stomas on the left are colostomies, and ones on the right are ileostomies. Both can be reversed. So whoever told you that the story about one side is permanent and the other isn't, told you a bit of a lie! My stoma's on the left and it's permanent.

Terriernut

Cindy, It was the bloody surgeons who told me left temp, right permanent!!! **^^%%ers!!! They must have been afraid I'd bloody clobber them if they told the truth...a possibility I admit, however at 5'1" and 94lbs at the time I doubt it wouldve hurt them much! Why do they LIE!!???? And frankly, why didnt they take the whole bloody colon and just finish it FFS!!?? I'm ANGRY. I'm an honest upfront type of person, and I'm NOT good at English sidestepping! No offense to the Brits, but it does get to you! Now I'm worse off emotionally, if they'd told the truth to begin with, I could accept it, but LYING doesnt cut it for me!! I was already grumpy to begin with, being menopausal and having major surgery unexpectedly, but now I'm downright furious!!!
Misty

i developed a peri-stomal hernia, some time after the last surgery, which was my 5th operation. obviously my stomach muscles were very weak from all the ops, and i didn't help matters by being far too eager to get back to 'normal life' too quickly.. including carrying the vacuum upstairs, carrying my toddler around the house etc...

my hernia wasn't protuding all the time, it only came out if i coughed, sneezed, or was sick... and the pain when it protuded was excrutiating - i used to push it back in with my fist :(

i had the hernia repaired, without the mesh, and had learned the lesson to take things very easy regarding my stomach muscles for a long time after... that was years ago, and it's still fine, although i get the occasional twinge there.

don't know if that helps any, but just thought i'd share my hernia experience with you!

maybe in time, when your body has recovered sufficiently, they'll feel happy to repair yours too.

Terriernut

I'm FAR too eager to return to 'normal'. Yup. Had over 100 people visit my site and I was too much on my feet in my return to work. I will either have to change my job or change job sites! I cant say this enough....people, if you dont want to buy a house, dont go to show homes. Get a LIFE and leave us alone. We work on commission and dont need your time wasting crap! Thank you I feel better! Anyway, I cant do hundreds of people a day on my feet 8 hours and driving for 3 hours in total. Hernia, yeah shouldnt be suprised! And for you lookie loo's and carpet treaders...get a F****^ing life!
Misty

Terriernut

Dingbat...it was LAUGHING that got me! I have bad belly laughs...It was this site that got me, it was the 'You know you have Crohn's if..." well...it's a killer! I hope they can 'fix'' me. And I should stop working where I do..as if thats a possibility in this job climate! My stomach muscles werent great before surgery, but I dont know how to 'fix' that now??? I have to be 'good' but I have a new grandbaby! I want to cuddle her!
Misty

i developed a peri-stomal hernia, some time after the last surgery, which was my 5th operation. obviously my stomach muscles were very weak from all the ops, and i didn't help matters by being far too eager to get back to 'normal life' too quickly.. including carrying the vacuum upstairs, carrying my toddler around the house etc...

my hernia wasn't protuding all the time, it only came out if i coughed, sneezed, or was sick... and the pain when it protuded was excrutiating - i used to push it back in with my fist :(

i had the hernia repaired, without the mesh, and had learned the lesson to take things very easy regarding my stomach muscles for a long time after... that was years ago, and it's still fine, although i get the occasional twinge there.

don't know if that helps any, but just thought i'd share my hernia experience with you!

maybe in time, when your body has recovered sufficiently, they'll feel happy to repair yours too.

maybe that thread should have a health warning on it ;)

i don't think there's much you can to do 'fix' your tummy muscles at this point.. toning up and exercise is out of the question because of the swelling/hernia you already have... if i were you i'd just be very careful not lift anything heavy, no stretching, holding onto your stomach if you sneeze... that kind of thing.. until you're fit enough to get this repaired surgically...

after that you can make a fresh start, resolve not to overdo it physically, and in time when you've healed completely, maybe start doing gentle exercise (with advice from your medical team).

my repair was at the stage where mesh wasn't used very much, and i wasn't offered it. i think nowadays it's used much more often in hernia repairs and probably gives a much stronger hold.

next time you have a GI visit, i'd certainly mention that you'd be willing to have it repaired, as & when they think you're fit enough.

Terriernut

Thank you Dingbat (love the name...one of my late mothers nicknames by the way, so every time you post..I think of my mum!) The surgeon was of little help as he wanted lunch, they were running 1 1/2 hours late and he must have been hungry. The stoma nurse Heather...who is WONDERFUL by the way, suggested support garments. And that having 100 people a day without appts, and 8 hours on my feet and 3 hours driving wasnt a good idea. Duh! Now to tell my employer. Here comes Job Seekers Allowance at £65 a week!
Misty

LOSTnut

Poopy
Well, Misty, as to the myth about the sides of the stomas:
I have an Ileostomy on the left side at the height of my (former) belly button and it is supposed to be temporary.

And, somehow, I am not surprised AT ALL that you got your hernia from laughing .... :D

Terriernut

I would wish my hernia would be from having nookie with Johnny Depp. It's not even from lifting. Sigh.

Still no date for hernia surgery!

Misty

hernia

i had one removed in one of my 9 surgeries lol but i have 1 back on the left side my ileostomy is on the right when it comes out to play its there so i am going in to get my osotmy moved joe wants to play a turtle and hide his head all the time lol boy doesnt weeping and being severly irritated just hurt like a b....h lol:yfrown: i had it so bad the 2cond week of my surgery i was addmitted of course again for a week i got cellulitous with it god am i off the track with this message :oops:back to hernia apparently it is common but it seems the high priest of doctors THE SURGEONS LOL dont want to mess with them that much so good luck!!! oh gee what i was saying is i am going to ask for the mesh to see if it will help ty for listening