Share Facebook

03-09-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Mini-vents

I thought I'd start this so we can vent about all the little things that might not necessitate their own individual threads but are still worth addressing. I'll start.

It snowed today and there was ice underneath the snow, and I hate driving in those conditions.
I have a headache and it won't go away and Tylenol isn't helping any.
I have a new fissure. It hurts and it bleeds a little every time I go to the bathroom.
There are a few changes happening at work and I don't like change and it's stressing me out.

Ahh, I feel a little better for getting that out there. Although my head and bottom still hurt, but no amount of venting will fix that! Anybody else got some mini-vents you'd like to get off your chest?
03-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
ameslouise

I'd like to vent on the behalf of my friend Beth. She is going thru some really tough medical and also personal relationship stuff right now. It breaks my heart. She has always been there for me and is my rock. I just want to be there for her. I hate to see her suffering.
03-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
ameslouise

And my second less serious vent is that I am trying to wait until the last possible moment before my surgery to have my lip and eyebrows waxed and it's driving me nuts!!! I think I look like a beast!
03-09-2011, 06:03 PM   #4
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I know what you mean about waiting on beauty procedures - I'm going on vacation at the end of the month, so I'm waiting to dye my hair until a few days before I go because I know that lots of photos will be taken on vacation and I refuse to have any photographic evidence of my gray hairs. But in the meantime, my grays are showing because it's been too long since I last dyed my hair!
03-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
margie

I want my hair dyed too, but with no money and not being able to get around without all of the pain, I just keep putting it off. Pretty soon, I have to though, because I can't take looking at all the grey to much longer. Driving me nuts.
03-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
AndiGirl
Your Story Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Just keep venting if you need to, Cat. I feel like I've been doing that a lot lately. I'm sorry that you are dealing with a fissure. OUCH! Like you, I live up north and I am darn sick and tired of all the snow! I'm so ready for it to just dissipate. The hair part, I can't yet relate to. I'm 38 and just found one gray (or white) hair this year. Evidently I did inherit a good thing from my father's side of the family; they take forever to grey. I wish they would have kept the Crohns and digestive problems to themselves. I'm bad! I really could use a pedicure though. I want to wear my sandals. Maybe in a month.

Pentasa 2x500mg (4 times a day)
Zofran (as needed for nausea)
Ginger Capsules (for Nausea)
Multivitamin
Zoloft 150 mg
Ranitidine 150 mg (2 times a day)
Entocort 3 mg (3 capsules by mouth for 8 weeks, then tapering to 2 capsules for three months)
03-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #7
MADiMarc

My Support Groups:
I know what you mean about waiting on beauty procedures - I'm going on vacation at the end of the month, so I'm waiting to dye my hair until a few days before I go because I know that lots of photos will be taken on vacation and I refuse to have any photographic evidence of my gray hairs. But in the meantime, my grays are showing because it's been too long since I last dyed my hair!
Cat, read this and started to chuckle because I am doing EXACTLY the same thing. I will be leaving on vacation soon, so I only have 2 more days to put up with the gray roots!

My mini rant is I have vacationitis! I don't want to work & I do have to work & it is making me grumpy! That's what happens when you save all year for one week away, I guess.
03-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #8
MADiMarc

My Support Groups:
Andi, no gray hair?!!!
03-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #9
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Wow Andi, I agree with Michele - no gray hair?? My parents didn't go gray until later on either (my mom went gray in her mid 40s and my dad just started going gray in his mid 50s). But I started going gray at pretty much the same time this illness first hit - just before I turned 30.
03-10-2011, 09:11 AM   #10
AZMOM

My Support Groups:
Okay

Amy, I doubt you could look beastly if you tried.
Andi, I'm wishing you warm weather and a pedicure as I curse your lack of gray hair (lol).

My mini-vents/rants include........

I've had a headache now for two days. Really. It is on my last nerve because like everyone else, I don't have time for a headache. And tonight, I doubt it's going anywhere because I just learned this morning that Claire has to sing the 50 state song by herself for her teacher.......you guessed it.........TOMORROW! We sang on the way to school this morning and she can only get to Georgia. I'm pretty sure I will be able to sing it quite well by tomorrow morning. I promise NOT to post my version to You Tube.

My vacationitis is from lack of vacation. I started this new job back in September (long story) so I have a vacation scheduled for 4th of July week but I'm pretty sure I won't make it until then. Can vacationitis kill?

I could keep going but then it won't be "mini" for long.

J.

Mom to Claire - 11 going on 17

Dx JRA age 3, Crohn's age 6
Acute transverse myelitis at age 5

Started IVIG September 2016
Started Tacrolimus October 2016
Neurontin 100mg twice daily
Folic Acid
Calcium/D supplement
Daily Vitamin
Daily Probiotic

No more Enbrel, Stelara, Methotrexate, Allopurinal or 6MP
03-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #11
xJillx
Your Story Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Mini-Vent:

I am sick of people complaining in their Facebook statuses: "I hate my life! Why did it have to rain today!" or "I locked my keys in the car. What a way to start a day!" I don't want to undermine anyone's problems, but when people flip over the littlest thing, it really gets to me.

Diagnosed with Crohn's Disease - July 2010
Diagnosis of Crohn's Disease Retracted - October 2011

I am still sick and so confused...
03-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #12
AndiGirl
Your Story Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I have children, so I imagine the gray hairs will be on their way.
03-10-2011, 01:14 PM   #13
MADiMarc

My Support Groups:
Andi, I found my first gray hair ON my 40th birthday. So you still have a few years yet! .
Jill, you know what gets me? FML. I had someone say that to me because she couldn't remember where she parked her car. To me, that's very minor but I guess it was the end of her world.
03-10-2011, 07:50 PM   #14
xJillx
Your Story Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Michele - you said it. I am so sensitive to when people overreact. I feel like saying, "If you only knew how good you have it."

Since I was diagnosed, I have certainly learned not to sweat the small stuff anymore.
03-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #15
annak87

Jill and Michele I agree totally, 100% with people that whine/complain about small things. I think the toughest for me were people complaining about college courses and interference with their drinking schedule. Try college and working with crohn's disease and 2 setons sticking out of your butt! I guess that's my mini-vent even though I graduated last May. haha it just still gets to me!
03-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #16
mizgarnet

Andi- I am 46 and (shhhh!) - no gray!

Julie- Yes, vacationitis can and will kill. I am with you... I NEED TO GET AWAY. My daughter is begging me to visit and it is getting real tempting to take time off without pay and head to New Orleans.

Everytime I make beauty appointments something always comes up and I have to cancel. Gads, I look like a hag.

My mini vent of the day----I just want my hamster wheel to stop and let me off. It has been a year of one thing after another.

TGIF!!!!!!

Hugs!
Wendy
03-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #17
ameslouise

LOL on the Facebook statuses! Those people don't know the meaning of FML!

My mini rant - I ate too much sushi today for lunch and am having my own little Japanese tsunami over here. Ugh!
03-11-2011, 10:06 PM   #18
AndiGirl
Your Story Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:

My mini rant - I ate too much sushi today for lunch and am having my own little Japanese tsunami over here. Ugh!
I just had a big juicy burger and fries. I'll have some discomfort for a while, but boy did I want it!
03-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #19
margie

My boyfriend offered me an ice cream cone. I wanted it so bad, but can't. Not worth the price again tonight, beings that I have already hugged the toilet twice today. Grrrr
03-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #20
Crohn's Mom

My Support Groups:
OH do I ever know how you feel with waiting ! ... My daughters surgery is in 8 days and she and I both need our hair done. She has been complaining about hers for a few weeks. I told her it is pointless really to go spend the money on our hair when she will be "laid up" for a month or so after surgery. She complained...that's when I pointed out my own hair, and my roots that have grown out almost to my ears ! Ha ! She didn't realize I haven't had mine done either because I feel bad for her. Just my little way of trying to make her feel a little better..but, uggghhh....does my hair look awful !
and Austin (18)
DX: Crohn's 7/2013
03-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #21
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Here's my mini vents of the day. I took the dog to the park and I didn't realize how muddy it would be there. I thought the ground would be more frozen but it was sooo muddy! My dog jumped and played in every puddle. Then, when we got home, she refused to go in the tub! She loves jumping in muddy ice-cold water, but won't voluntarily go in a nice warm clean bath. Grr!

Also, I cleaned today. Vacuumed, did laundry, generally picked up, went through my closet and took out old clothes I don't wear anymore and put them aside to donate to Goodwill. My hubby had to work this morning, and when he got home at noon, he said, "We really need to clean today." Um, hello - what do you think I've been doing?? Seriously, I think he needs to get his eyes checked!
03-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #22
MADiMarc

My Support Groups:
Cat, my hubby said that once. You know how I combat that now? I take lemon pledge & give the room a couple spurts right before he gets home. Works like a charm, even when I just straighten & don't really clean!

My mini rant is people that go to the register & are not really sure if they want to buy this or that & make the rest of us wait 20 minutes to buy two packages of underwear! John Pinette has it right, "Get outta the line!" ( look him up on YouTube, he is so funny).
03-12-2011, 11:59 PM   #23
ameslouise

Michelle - excellent suggestion!

Rant for today - shat myself TWICE last night in a way I can only describe as epic, lost two pairs of underwear, permanently soiled by favorite sheets AND put a big stain on the bathroom rug.

UGH!!! Surgery - BRING IT!
03-13-2011, 08:59 AM   #24
MADiMarc

My Support Groups:
Ames,
Oh, how many nights like that I have had!! Biz seems to work wonders for my sheets but some things are WAY passed saving with me too!

Smile girl, cause you are soon to be a bag lady! I want to hear all about how it goes...I may not be far behind you.

Michele
03-13-2011, 01:51 PM   #25
Welsh-bird

My Support Groups:
I HATE sharing a room with 5 strangers
I want to be able to have a nice relaxing bath.
I really would like to be able to eat whilst not sitting on the loo!

I Want this to all go away- my vents been building since I returned to hospital on Friday. I just want my 'old' life back.......

Diagnosed UC 1999, Re Dx'd CD April 2011, Gastritis Dec 2010.
Resection Jan 2011, Total Colectomy 18.03.2011
Hoping to get a break sometime soon......
03-14-2011, 09:59 AM   #26
margie

Andrea,
I am so sorry that you are having such a rough time right now. I hope things are better for you soon. I, too, wish that I could have my old life back....unfortunately...it just isn't in the cards for any of us. I have learned to just live one day at a time right now, and make the best out of every day, even if I am feeling really down. I refuse to let this disease rule my life.

Please try and keep your spirits up. Thoughs and prayers are with you.

Margie
03-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #27
MADiMarc

My Support Groups:
Andrea,
God girl, I can't even remember my "old life". You're right though, it would be nice to eat a meal without the wonderful smell of poop wafting around!

Michele
03-21-2011, 02:54 PM   #28
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
My mini-vent of the day: my body has decided that it's very upset that I dared to eat one piece of turkey bacon yesterday. D, nausea, and pain all day long - yuck! It wasn't even worth it! If I had known I would feel like this today then I would have eaten more bacon!

Also, I'd like to vent for a moment on the cost of air conditioners. We have no air conditioning in the house and our goal was to get central air conditioning by this summer. I had budgeted $1500 tops since my parents said their AC cost about $1000. Well, they apparently bought theirs before some new special laws went into effect saying that air conditioners need to be of a certain grade (energy saving or not polluting, something like that) and they are like double the price now. We got 3 different cost quotes and the lowest was $2100! The most expensive was $3800! Eek! I guess we're going to go with the $2100 one, but wow, I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it! We only get a few really hot months a year here. But my guts do cramp up like crazy if the temp goes over 90 so I guess I have to look at it as an investment into my health, right? Urgh, it's just sooo expensive.
03-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #29
xJillx
Your Story Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Boy, Cat, that hurts! My unit is about 15 years old - I hope it can hang on a little bit longer (*knock wood*)!

On an opposite, but similar note, can I vent about the cost of home heating oil?! My husband and I are dropping about $300 every 6 weeks to heat our small home (less than 1,800 sq/feet) while keeping it at like 66 degrees. I can't wait until spring!!
03-21-2011, 03:48 PM   #30
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Jill, I hear you! We have a gas furnace which is supposedly cheaper to run than electric, but our heating bill was still quite high this winter (in the $250 range every month - our electric & gas bill is lumped together, but in the warm months our electric bill is more like $80ish, so close to $200 per month for heat??). And our house is only about 1,000 square feet! I am with you, I am waiting for spring to show its face around here. It's 50 degrees out today but it's supposed to go back down into the 30s later this week. So I guess I have to keep my furnace on a little longer...