Share Facebook

05-24-2011, 04:17 PM   #271
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
Haha...I agree with not understanding the grilling=easier to swallow. In fact, most often I find if I don't grill properly it actually makes the meat tougher! So, Michele might not be too far off with what she said.

Though, I don't claim to know a lot about medical conditions, so there could very well be some condition I don't know about that he has. Either, I do not thin it is rude or unreasonable to ask him to bring fish if they are requesting you accomodate his own needs.

Otherwise, bucket o' grilled chicken and subs all the way, girl! Let us know how it goes.
January 2014 - adopted a mostly Paleo diet
May 2015 - still in remission!

Currently Taking
Humira - 40mg/week
Imuran - 125 mg/day
Calcium magnesium citrate
Fermented cod liver oil/butter blend
Culturelle probiotics
Vitamin D
Vitamin C
Biotin
Allegra
05-25-2011, 10:07 AM   #272
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Marisa, I contacted my friends last night and I was like, "Hey guys, all this food stuff is getting complicated, so let's just get subs like we did last time!" And they were like, sure, fine, but then they said "We don't even NEED to eat lunch together, it'll just be cool to hang out." So now it sounds like they don't want subs either??? Whatever, I'm done worrying about it! I will have a sub and eat it in front of them while they eat nothing if that is what it comes down to! Seriously! They're nice but at this point I'm glad I only see them about once per year.

Oh yeah, and I have a new mini-vent today. It's been absolutely pouring rain all morning. I have a physical therapy appointment this afternoon for my arthritic hip, but I also have to work. So I brought my purse, lunch bag, work bag, and gym bag so I can change into workout clothes for PT. I ran from my car to the building in the pouring rain with all my many bags. I got up to my desk... and realized I had left my water bottle in the car. Ugh! Had to run back out in the pouring rain, get my water bottle, run back into the building again. I got soaked! That was kind of miserable.
05-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #273
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
That's good that the food thing seemed to work out.

It's been pouring rain here too. Though, this morning my husband woke up to get ready for work and came back in to tell me that one of our cats had chewed through the bag of joint supplements that we left on the counter. She could have eaten 10-20 of them out of the bag when the normal dose is 2 a day. And the back of the bag says to contact a health professional if an overdose occurs. So, I got up and phoned several veterinarians (that's what we get for not having found a regular vet yet) to ask if it was something we needed to bring her in right away for. They ended up referring us to the toxicology department at ASPCA who charges $65. Small fee to make sure our cat will be alright. They ended up letting us know that at most our cat might experience some GI upset, so I could just monitor her for now. So far, she hasn't had any problems, with the exception of not eating breakfast because she might have just been full. So, hopefully nothing ends up happening where she'll have to go in to see a vet because I don't have access to my car right now.

Not to mention I am stressed out wondering if I'm going to get a phone call about the job today. I'm trying to distract myself, but when I get anxious I have a habit of not wanting to do anything and needing to stay by the phone. So annoying!
05-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #274
RFarmer

Mini vent of the day: Too much schoolwork. I'm all set for university. I've got a job. And I've got mountains of work to do before the school year is out. Stuff that I don't care about, and only matters for scholarships. Ugh.

I'm just starting to go into remission, I don't want to be working my ass of all day...
05-26-2011, 09:31 AM   #275
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
My mini-vent today is that I'm totally weak. I got diagnosed with arthritis in my right hip a few months ago and went to physical therapy for it yesterday. My first time ever at physical therapy so it was interesting. The therapist said that, although I only seem to have arthritis in one hip, that both of my hips seem equally very weak. She gave me a few simple exercises that I'm supposed to do twice a day to help strengthen my hips. But holy cow, I'm so exhausted and sore from doing just those few exercises! I had no idea my hips were this weak - I mean, I can still take the dog on long walks and stuff, so I didn't think it was a huge issue. But this realization just makes me feel super old. I'm only 31 and I'm hobbling around like I'm an old lady. Not fun. And this makes me wonder, what other joints or body parts are also really weak that I'm not aware of? I kind of wonder if I'm just falling apart. If I'm this bad at 31, what will I be like at 40, 50, etc?
05-26-2011, 09:39 AM   #276
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
Cat - Aww...hopefully physical therapy will improve your strength and you won't feel so old.

My vents today are a) one of my cats is sick and I'm taking her to the vet in about 10 min. She hasn't eaten a full meal since yesterday morning, hasn't used the litter box or drank any water, and has been puking up bile since yesterday. We even called emergency vet late last night and they said it could wait until the morning since she was still acting like her normal self. She's my baby. I hope it's nothing too serious. We think it may be a URI because she's been sneezing and might have a stuffy nose, sos he can't smell her food. When she was a baby she had a really severe case of URI and almost died, so her immune system is low. It's a new vet too, so I hope they are good and nice to her.

My second vent is I actually found out about 15 min. ago that my grandma (mom's mom) passed away yesterday. It's kind of sad even though I don't have a relationship with her. My mom's family is complicated. They live in Indonesia, so it's very far away. But there has been much resentment harbored between her sisters and her mother. She hadn't spoken to her mom for at least 8 years, maybe more. So, I'm not even sure if anyone was planning on calling my mom. My cousin was nice enough to let me and my sister know on Facebook. But, I don't know whether to call her or not since I don't know if she knows yet.
05-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #277
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Marisa, I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. Death is never easy to deal with, even when you weren't very close to the person. And I hope your cat gets better soon. Is this the same cat that ate the vitamins yesterday? I hope the new vet is good too. My cat also had an upper respiratory infection when she was a kitten - she was really sickly for awhile. She was found as a stray at a few weeks old along with her brother & sister kittens, and all the kittens had a lot of problems including worms and mites and infections and diarrhea - her original name, due to the d, was Poo-poo Kitty! Fortunately she recovered and got a better name and is fine and healthy now at 8 years old. I hope your kitty gets healthy again too and doesn't get any nicknames from being sickly.
05-26-2011, 02:02 PM   #278
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
Thanks, Cat. What's weird is...I asked my couins if anyone had called my mom yet and he told me that he had heard my Aunt Rose had already informed her, see as they "communicate quite frequently." He apparently is unaware that my Aunt Rose and my mom had a falling out after my WEDDING and they've refused to speak to each other since then (its been almost 3 years). So...I wonder if anyone really did call my mom because I haven't heard anything from her. What should I do? I don't really want to call her and be the one to tell her. But, she obviously has the right to know too! I almost wonder, if she was told, if she just decided not to call and tell me because "it's not a big deal." When my mom holds resentment, she really holds resentment...

Well, after being at the vet for about an hour and a half...the doctor could only come up with gastritis! Her blood came back normal, her abdominal x-ray came back normal, her temperature was normal, no eye or nose discharge indicating URI, and her teeth looked normal minus some acute irritation, but nothing indicating any serious mouth problems. So, she prescribed a 5 day dose of...FLAGYL! Yuck. Poor kitty. She also gave us some special wet food that's supposed to be "really tasty" for kitties, but she couldn't get her to eat any before sending her home and I haven't been able to get her to eat any either. She may just need some extra time to relax after going to the vet, but I hope she eats tonight. Otherwise, it'll have been 24 hours since she's eaten anything. The doc did inject some under the skin IV fluids, so she's at least a little more hydrated, but I've yet to see her drink from the water bowl either. Hopefully her first dose of Flagyl will help her appetite by tomorrow, though I feel bad if it goes on an empty stomach. I'm surprised we weren't given an anti-nausea medication.
05-26-2011, 03:12 PM   #279
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Marisa, your poor kitty! I haven't been on Flagyl myself but I've heard stories on the forum about bad nausea with Flagyl. I hope your kitty is able to eat or at least drink. My cat had some issues about a year ago which turned out to be crystals in her urine (they would have turned into painful stones if left untreated). We had to switch her food and we were told to try to get her to drink more to flush out her bladder. So, I started trying to make drinking water more fun - encourage her to play in the sink, give her ice cubes, etc. That seemed to work - one thing I've learned is that my cat really likes to drink water from the bathtub, so if she's not drinking enough I run that faucet a little bit and let her play and drink. Also, we got her one of those fancy water bowls that has a bottle on top that dispenses water over time. She loves when that thing gets an air bubble, she watches and then paws at it! So, if your kitty isn't drinking, try to do stuff like that to make it more of a game or a treat. My cat & dog now are both in the mindset that getting an ice cube is an awesome treat, and they get hydrated without getting any extra calories.
05-26-2011, 05:01 PM   #280
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
Yeah, they took an abdominal x-ray and he organs all seemed fine. Nothing other than some gas and fecal matter in the intestines. Did your cat have abnormal bloodwork when she had crystals in her urine? I would think if something like that is going on somethign would show up.

We had been feeding her wet food for a while when we switched our male cat to wet (to avoid stones, since males are more susceptible), but then she started puking more often, so we stopped giving it to her and put her back on dry food. We don't have an ice maker in our fridge! And we tried the ice cube trays once and I don't know why or how, but they didn't work! So, we never have ice. I think she's also afraid of water. Anytime she's on the counter while I'm washing my hands she goes running.

So, not sure how to get her to drink more Usually she's fine drinking. In fact, before all this, I noticed she went to the water bowl pretty frequently. So, I can tell she's sick
05-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #281
lulu2

My Support Groups:
My mini vent today - just sick of being sick. It's that simple.... combined with all the issues highlighted in the "I just want to cry" thread.... I've just had enough and I've had a big big cry and I just want to feel well and for things to go right for a while...... My tummy really hurts today and has all night..... and you know what, I just want to go on a normal date with my man tonight, just dinner, wine and a film maybe? But I can't cos my belly aches, and I've been to the loo 6 times today, and I think eating would be a very bad idea......

I know we're all in the same boat and it's nothing unique to me; today however I'm just really fed up! I should be making people better, not needing a good MOT myself.....

:-(

Currently LOVING my job!!
Currently NOT loving my crohns!!

26 yrs old.
Currently taking: prednisolone 30mg/day, Azathioprine 25mg/day then 50mg in 2 weeks (well actually I've temporarily wimped out of this) 8g pentasa a day, folic acid and various cardiac meds.

Any advice I give must never ever ever replace the advice from your own doctor and care givers. They know far better than I do!
05-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #282
Welsh-bird

My Support Groups:
I hear you Lulu- hoping thing's take a chnage in direction for you soon.

Diagnosed UC 1999, Re Dx'd CD April 2011, Gastritis Dec 2010.
Resection Jan 2011, Total Colectomy 18.03.2011
Hoping to get a break sometime soon......
05-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #283
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Marisa: I believe my cat's bloodwork all came back normal, they diagnosed the crystals by testing her urine. Does your cat have any special favorite treats? Maybe you could try giving her a can of tuna or something like that, at least then she'd get a little food in her and maybe leave some of the water in with the tuna too so that she gets some hydration. How's she doing today?

Lulu, I know the feeling. My husband & I now have two different sets of visitors coming in from out of town. My friends are coming Sunday, I've vented about them already. Tomorrow hubby's friends are coming, and they've told him that there's a specific bar/restaurant that they really want to go to. So I'm already out of the plans, since I can't drink alcohol nor eat any of the bar food at this place. (Bars aren't exactly known for low-residue foods, ha ha.) So my Saturday night will be spent alone while hubby goes out and has fun. I'm used to that, but it'd still be nice to join in on stuff like that every so often. If I do go, I'll be perceived as such a downer because I'm not eating or drinking anything and therefore not any fun. That's happened before too. When people ask why I'm not eating, and I say that I've got a chronic illness and have to avoid certain foods, I get weird looks. I'm already fairly socially awkward and that kind of thing seems to further alienate me from people. So I will actually be happier at home by myself, although not by much. Lulu, I feel your pain! It's no fun being forced to sit on the sidelines while others enjoy life.
05-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #284
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
I have 2 vents. One is from last night.

I finally contacted the place I've been waiting to hear back from about my job application to get an update on the status.

He basically told me that they decided to go with another candidate. What sucked even more was he told me that the 1st choice for the position was waiting to hear back about another job offer. When she was passed over for the other job, she took this one. Must be nice to have so many options. I know I shouldn't feel bitter, but it really sucks. He told me he talked about me highly to the HR department about what a great candidate I was, but it was actually embarrassing to hear. The director of HR knows who I am, for sure, and I'm sure by now she must be thinking if all these people think so highly of her why isn't she actually getting hired? I've never been turned down SO many times by one establishment! So, now I'm reconsidering whether I need to basically count that place out for any future job openings. Maybe look elsewhere from now on. It's hard though. I thought my chances of scoring an office job with them would be more likely because none of the job descriptions say experience required. All the other jobs I've seen require at least one year, which I don't have. Sigh.

MY second vent is that we had to hospitalize my cat Chloe this morning. We actually took her to the animal ER last night because she still wasn't eating and drinking and she immediately threw up the Flagyl my husband struggled so hard to give her. We're bleeding so much money on her right now, but I'm worried about her of course. I just hate leaving my animals in a scary place all alone. It makes me sad. I know I'm being silly, but I just feel bad about having to do it. She keeps showing up normal on tests, but refusing to eat/drink/use the litter box, so they're going to get her on IV fluids and monitor her...if things don't improve, they're talking about giving her a barium x-ray! Pancreatitis and IBD have both been mentioned! I'm really hoping it's just a nasty bug she's having a hard time kick, but I wish money wasn't such an issue for us. I may have to charge some of her bills soon I miss my baby kitty.
05-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #285
lulu2

My Support Groups:
Oh cat so sorry to hear about your weekend! You SHOULD go along and be proud to be yourself and screw anyone who doesnt understand... Im sure people are sick of asking me how I am today and getting the answer "not great" - but you know what screw them all and god help them should they ever get a horrible chronic life limiting illness like this!

Go out and be happy, I think I'm gonna try tonight, even if i cant eat and Im on soft drinks all evening, it's got to beat me lying in this bed and crying!!

This has cheered me up, my t shirt would probably say "sick":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Widfun4HjPY

Hope it cheers you up too - even if your not a fan of the show, I love the sentiment of the song!!

xxxx
05-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #286
lulu2

My Support Groups:
Dreamintwilight, sorry to hear about your problems, esp your poor cat - having sick pets is such a worry!!! I have bunnies, rats and a lizard (bearded dragon) and its awful when they get sick!!!

Does your cat have crohns too
xxx
05-27-2011, 10:19 AM   #287
Welsh-bird

My Support Groups:
My mini vent, well more like a shout out loud statement is 'I want to be well, and spend more than 2/3 weeks a month at home in my own bed!'
Maybe I should apply for council tax discount cos I'm never there and always on this bloody ward. Even the nurses are telling me that my mail is being redirected!!
(BIG sigh...)
05-27-2011, 10:19 AM   #288
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
Lulu - I seriously hope she DOESN'T have Crohn's. How frustratingly ironic would THAT be?? They don't know really what's wrong with her. Right now they're saying it's probably just gastritis (stomach bug), so I'm hoping it's just that and it'll clear up on its own while they keep her hydrated and get her to keep some medicine and food down. But, I guess if she doesn't seem to improve they're going to do a barium x-ray to make sure she doesn't have an obstruction, whether it's IBD related or something she may have ingested that's lodged in there (though she's had 2 x-rays by 2 diff. docs and there doesn't seem to be anything blocking, but who knows).

BTW...I had 2 rats growing up :-) Both hooded rats, one black and one brown. What do yours look like?
05-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #289
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Marisa, I think we posted at the same time. I'm so sorry to hear your kitty is still not doing well! I hope she improves on the IV fluids. I know that pets can get IBD, and I really hope it's not that. I have a co-worker whose dog has IBD and she has to give him pred every day! I empathize with the cost of emergency vet care, too. When my cat had crystals in her urine, she acted like she was in some pain. She kept licking herself "down there" and she'd yowl every time she'd lick. It was a Sunday morning so of course our regular vet wasn't open. I took her to the animal ER (they even have an animal ambulance for emergency calls - I can't imagine how much that costs!). They did x-rays and blood work and urine tests. The urine tests found the crystals, and the vet then told me that Lydia might have something else going on too and that she'd prefer to run more tests. But at that point my bill was already a few hundred bucks and I said no. Fortunately changing her food to an expensive prescription kibble seems to have made her all better. Her follow-up urine tests were clean as a whistle. I hope your kitty gets on the mend quickly (and cheaply) and that's it's just a bug or something. Keep us updated, fingers crossed for you! Hoping for the best for you & your kitty.
05-27-2011, 10:25 AM   #290
lulu2

My Support Groups:
Awww at least if she does her mummy will know EXACTLY how to take care of her!! I once had a cat with heart issues like me.... got him from a rescue centre, its no wonder we bonded so quickly!!!

Lol my rats are fancy rats, i did have 4 in my colony but they are all ancient and 2 of them have passed away since xmas, one in her sleep, the other had a tumour, had it removed, it came back and she didnt make it...... the 2 I left, well actually fancy is a lie, 2 were fancys - now down to just one (brown and white, little bit scraggy now bless her) and 2 were dumbos - siamese cat coloured, beautiful, again one has passed on and the other is looking her age bless her a bit bald!!!

My bunnies are all young and healthy tho. Its the dragon who's given us the most worry, he had a bowel obstruction thanks to eating the fake foliage in his vivarium, he almost died last summer, but he's pulled thru and is very well now but his bowels I doubt will ever be perfect again; he gets the runs a lot for a dessert animal.... but at least he is eating and pooing and running round now!!

Hope your cat gets well very very soon

xxx
05-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #291
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Lulu, I'm at work right now and youtube is blocked from here, but I'll watch that video when I get home tonight. Thanks!

Sounds like we're all animal lovers around here. I've never had rats, but had plenty of hamsters, gerbils, and guinea pigs in my childhood. I currently have my cat (of course), my dog (Pembroke welsh corgi), my pygmy albino hedgehog (he's adorable but I wouldn't advise anyone getting one - hedgies are grumpy and solitary, plus most vets don't know anything about them or how to treat hedgie illnesses), and two gerbils. The gerbils are mostly to keep my cat entertained, she loves to sit by their cage and watch them!
05-27-2011, 10:39 AM   #292
lulu2

My Support Groups:
Awwww sounds like you live in my kind of house Cat!! You MUST post some pics of your hog!! He sounds adorable!

I'd love a dog but as me and my man both work fulltime (hopefully that will remain the case for me) he wont let me get one... which I guess is fair enough, other people manage but anyways we dont have our own house yet, just rented whilst we save for a desposit.... so a dog would be a no no anyways, as would a cat.

I love my pets tho. I'd reccommend rats as pets - they're AMAZING. So friendly and very very clever!!!

I had guinea pigs as a kid.... so cute with their little squeaky noises!!

xxxx
05-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #293
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Okay, I think these images are going to be kind of big but here goes. Here's my hedgie, Edgar.

And here's my corgi, Lily.

05-27-2011, 11:03 AM   #294
lulu2

My Support Groups:
Oooooh your hedgehog is TOO cute!!!! What a lovely little pet!!

Your dog is gorgeous too, love her little scarf!!

I'm looking into getting a chameleon when we've moved cos I have a spare vivarium......

xxxx
05-27-2011, 01:48 PM   #295
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
We're looking into pet insurance for the future. Unfortunately, we can't use it toward her bills now, but maybe it might be able to prevent this sort of thing happening in the future. We have been wanting to get pet insurance, but didn't have the money to spare before. We're thinking canning TV, so should have some now. Blah.

Lulu - All your pets sound cute! My rats were fancy hooded rats too. They DO make awesome pets. Very smart, but their life span is not very long. Ours lasted a 2-3 years a piece. Both died of tumors, which I hear is also very common.

Cat - I love your pictures :-D Thanks for sharing!

I think I might call my vet in about 45 min to get an update on Chloe since I haven't heard anything yet. It'll have been about 5 hours since we dropped her off. I'm antsy and want to know how she's doing! Am I an annoying pet owner?? LOL
05-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #296
lulu2

My Support Groups:
I hope Chloe is ok!!!

I will take some photos of my little guys to post at some point!

Pet insurance is a good idea I think..... the vets bills of my managerie have come to so much!!! Lucky my man earns money or I'd be stuffed right now!!

keep us updated on your kitty!

xxxx
05-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #297
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
Just got an update from the vet!

She said chloe is resting comfortably and quietly. Seems to be tolerating the fluids very well. Still unwilling to eat, but at least she's getting fluids, yay! They're going to monitor her over night and try to feed her again. If she still refuses, they're going to try and give her an appetite stimulant and make sure she can hold down any food she may eat without vomiting. They gave her an antibiotic injection, so hopefully that will help her to feel better too.

Tomorrow we had our other 2 cats scheduled to get their routine vaccinations, so she said if we wanted to they could bring Chloe into the exam room to visit with us after the other 2 cats get their shots. Yay.

I REALLY hope she eats something tomorrow. I forgot to ask if she has peed at all since starting her on the fluids, but I would imagine if she is "tolerating fluids," she would have to be peeing. That'd be pretty difficult not to. So, yeah. Praying for a healthier kitty tomorrow.
05-27-2011, 04:24 PM   #298
lulu2

My Support Groups:
Awww that sounds really promising, and visiting her will be nice!! Any idea when you will be able to take her home?
xxx
05-27-2011, 04:57 PM   #299
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
Not sure. They aren't open Sundays and they will be closed for Memorial Day. So...I'm hoping she is better enough to head home tomorrow because I don't know that we have the money to keep her there until Tuesday! So, we'll see what happens tomorrow. Praying!
05-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #300
lola99

I'm so annoyed right now. Why do men have to play video games to the point that you want to strangle them. I like video games but jeez!!! our 3 yr old is gone to my mil and he chooses to play. I need to get some friends and leave him at home.