Share Facebook

04-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #91
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
Haha, Cat! It actually went pretty well. She's calling me for a second interview on Monday. The job actually sounds a lot cooler than I thought it would be. So, we'll see. Maybe I could get a part-time job where Alan works and then I could work both places and still get an AWESOME discount.

I actually went in feeling overdressed. The service manager that interviewed me had on olive-colored chinos, a black cotton long-sleeved top, a peach scarf, and gold earrings. I was wearing a full suit with pantyhose, and heels! Haha. OH well.

Is it true you can dress down a little for a second interview?
January 2014 - adopted a mostly Paleo diet
May 2015 - still in remission!

Currently Taking
Humira - 40mg/week
Imuran - 125 mg/day
Calcium magnesium citrate
Fermented cod liver oil/butter blend
Culturelle probiotics
Vitamin D
Vitamin C
Biotin
Allegra
04-08-2011, 03:14 PM   #92
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Oh yeah, I keep forgetting! My mini-vent today is that my brother apparently has decided to move to another city to go back to school. He's already started the application process for the university - and he hasn't told me yet! The problem with this is that he lives with us and has lived in our house for almost a year. A little communication about when he's moving out would have been nice! I found out today from my mother, who didn't realize my hubby & I didn't know about this. It was news to us!

So it'll be good and bad - good because we'll get our guest bedroom back, but bad because my brother's been paying us a little rent money every week and I've grown accustomed to having the extra cash - I'm broke as it is so I'm somehow going to have to be even more frugal now. I'll miss the cash, I'll miss my brother, and I'm a mad that he didn't tell us he was thinking of doing this. After all, I took him in after he was medically discharged from the military and he had nowhere to live except my parents house, which wasn't really an option anyway (my father told me several times that if brother moved back in to my parents' house, my father thought he would probably end up killing brother or himself or both - a bit of an exaggeration, but those two just do not get along and cannot live together or there are many many fights). So I took him in and let him stay with us, and I didn't even ask for rent money - brother decided on his own that he should be paying us. I just feel like I did a kind thing for him and he isn't returning the favor now by telling me his plans. I'm rambling on here and I'll stop now, but ugh I'm just upset!
04-08-2011, 03:17 PM   #93
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Oops, Marisa, I think I was writing my long diatribe of a vent while you posted your reply. Glad it went well and glad it sounds like a good job, and yay for the second interview! I've actually never had a second interview - only had 3 jobs in my life (high school job, college job, and "real" job) and with all of those, I got hired after the first interview. The last time I interviewed was when I got hired for my current job, and that was in like 2002, so I wouldn't even know how to do a first interview anymore!

Edited to add: A lot of workplaces have casual Fridays - maybe the person who interviewed you was a little dressed-down because of that? Just a thought. My workplace requires business attire M-Thurs and on Fridays we're allowed to wear things like polos and khakis. (I did hear of one company in my city where they don't allow jeans, but that's as specific as the dress code gets - so most everyone who works there just wears sweatpants to work! How tacky is that!)

Last edited by Cat-a-Tonic; 04-08-2011 at 03:22 PM.
04-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #94
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
Yeah, I've never had a 2nd interview either. She said they always have 2nd interviews with Banana Republic. So, I guess it's just standard procedure.

You make a good point. I forgot it was Friday. Though she said they tend to dress on the more casual side for business casual. I'm not really sure what that means, haha. Guess I'll find out at my 2nd interview She said they were trying to get jeans on weekends, which would be nice too!

Anyway, that totally sucks about your brother moving out and not telling you. I would feel exactly the way you do. Though, perhaps, he didn't want to say anything until he knew an exact date for moving? But, yeah...I would want to know. Especially if he told your mom. He could at least tell you too. Maybe you should apply for a part-time job at Banana Republic too, haha.
04-08-2011, 03:37 PM   #95
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I've been thinking about applying for a 2nd job, although I'm leaning towards Bath & Body Works. I love their products and there's a really nice one not far from my work. I could head there in the evenings after work and put in a couple hours here and there, if my body would let me. That's what I'm not sure about - I actually posted a thread in Anything Goes earlier today asking if anyone else here works 2 jobs. I've never worked 2 jobs and I'm not sure if it'd take too much of a toll on my body, so I'm giving it careful consideration before I even apply.

The good new is, I just found out hubby's going to be picking up a lot more hours working during the summer. He teaches after-school art classes and he's going to be teaching some summer school-type art programs during the summer, which will be great! There's only so much he can do with an art degree, and teaching is one of the things that most artists end up doing just to survive, so it's a pretty crowded field already so it's great that he can get more hours and more teaching experience over the summer. Yay!
04-11-2011, 06:35 AM   #96
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Mini-vent of the day: I found out yesterday that a former co-worker of mine passed away. This was a guy who was a very interesting person and always had a funny story, it is really sad that he passed. He was only 40 (he had a lot of health problems including multiple organ transplants and diabetes).

But I'm mad because I didn't find out that he had passed until the day AFTER his funeral. Apparently he passed on 4/1, the funeral was 4/9, and I found out (on facebook of all places) on 4/10. None of my other co-workers knew about it until after the fact either - we were all messaging each other on Sunday morning in shock about it. Seriously, I know his family is grieving, but couldn't someone, anyone, who knew about this have informed us sooner? He worked at my company for something like 6 years so it wasn't like he was just there a short time. I would have liked to have gone and paid my final respects, and I feel like that option was taken away from me by omission. We were a tight-knit group and I know most of us would have gone to the funeral had we known. Ugh, I'm just upset. It's an upsetting situation all-around.
04-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #97
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
I'm sorry that happened, Cat. I think I would feel that way, if I were in your position. Maybe they had a smaller funeral?Or maybe they really did completely forget about how his coworkers might have wanted to know about the news.

Maybe you all could decide on a way to all do something for the family. Send a card with thoughtful comments or a bouquet of flowers to the family. Maybe it would help you all in paying your respects and letting the family know how much that person meant to your office.
04-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #98
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Marisa, it didn't sound like a small/private funeral - the obit said all family & friends were welcome to attend. I think I will send a card "from the group" if I can organize it. It's kind of a complicated situation, but I don't work with this tight-knit group anymore. Our department was downsized a few years back, and as a result I'm the only one who still works at the same company. We are still close though and most of us still keep in regular contact with each other. The co-worker who passed away had gotten married in the last year or two and I know the rest of our little group found out about that quickly and sent our congratulations - I guess his family maybe didn't know that he was still close to former co-workers from a few years ago, although they should have - I know he talked about our company a lot and how much he liked working here and how fond he was of our group.

I guess it's reasonable but irksome that we were overlooked. I feel better about it today than I did yesterday. No matter how sick, it's always shocking to me when someone relatively young passes away, you know? Especially when it's someone you know, it really hits home. I was going through a lot of emotional stuff about this yesterday and I feel a bit more stable today. It's still shocking, though.
04-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #99
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
Yeah...death always complicates things. I'm glad you are feeling better about it today though. I can imagine I would feel devastated.

I've been pretty lucky to not have had anyone super close to me pass away. I had the pastor of a church that I worked at suddenly die and that was pretty shocking to me. And a friend from middle school recently had her father pass away.

But, I am glad you are feeling better about it :-)
04-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #100
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Marisa: Count yourself lucky that nobody very close to you has passed away. I *have* had someone very close to me pass away - one of the best friends I've had in my whole life, he passed when we were both only 19 - it was very sudden and unexpected, he died in a house fire. It took me years to get over his death and I still think about him a lot. That was hands down the worst experience of my life, worse even than what this gut illness has put me through. My co-worker's passing is shocking and awful, but I have to say that it's nothing like what I went through when I was 19.
04-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #101
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
My mini vent of the day: There's some rep at my work today trying to get us to buy memberships to one of those warehouse club stores. He brought in a ton of free food for us to sample. I saw the guy when he was setting up, and he was like, "Come back in a little bit! There'll be pizza!" I said politely, "Oh, I'm sorry, I'm lactose intolerant." So then he was like, "Well, we'll have fruit too!" I didn't say anything, but I thought to myself, well, can't eat that either. So far I'm batting zero!

So I just wanted a bottle of water and I went back later to try to discreetly take one without having to talk to the guy again. But he saw me and he was like, "Hey! You came back! Have some pizza and some fruit!" I acted like I didn't hear him, and I went over to where he had the drinks. There were some store-brand sports drinks that looked vaguely like generic gatorade. I saw a green tea flavored one and started reading the label to see what's in it - I can't do caffeine and sometimes green tea is caffeineated. The guy saw me reading the label, and I said, "I'm just checking to see if it's got caffeine." The guy said very enthusiastically, "It's got zero calories!" And I said, "I don't care about that, I want to see if it has caffeine! Do you know if this has caffeine?" The guy didn't answer, and then after a few awkward seconds he said, "There are bottled waters over there." I took one and left.

Ugh, I hate situations like that! I can't eat so much of what normal people eat, and they look at me like I'm a freak when I say I can't eat this, I can't eat that (a few of my coworkers saw me bypass all the food and just take water, they probably think I'm anonrexic or something). I can pass for normal most of the time, I just wish there were a way to somehow pass as normal around food and still avoid all my triggers.
04-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #102
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
Cat - I can sympathize with you. When I went to Florida just recently for my best friend's wedding, I was able to go to her bachelorette party. We went out for Spanish food and I was debating on whether to get ropa vieja or a chicken dish that I knew was gigantic and wouldn't be able to get a to-go box for because we were going out to bar hop right afterward. My two best friends haven't experienced what it's like for me to have Crohn's disease because I was diagnosed after I moved up here. they didn't seem to really understand what my conflict was. I had to explain that I didn't want to eat something I hadn't had since before I was diagnosed. I didn't exactly want to be in pain all night if it was something that ended u disagreeing with me. I felt that I may have sounded overly dramatic to them because they just don't quite get the digestive issues still. Ah well. In the end, I got the ropa vieja and it was DELICIOUS and it didn't bother my tummy.

My mini vent of the day: i just got out of my creative writing class. And hey, big surprise, no one had anything ready to present in workshop. I decided to chance it and not try and rush to finish my story and bring it in because I had brought in a long full story last week. So, luckily, some of the "seniors" came in with some of their novel-length pieces they are working on. One kid particularly wanted to know if the love interest development in his piece was affective, because he doesn't typically right romance into his stories. The teacher asked for my opinion "as a married woman." I made some funny comment about how I enjoyed seeing the emotions from a male perspective character because you don't typically see that from guys in general. And two of the students (one guy and one girl) got very defensive by my comment. the girl, I could tell, was muttering something under her breath about none of the guys she knows are like that and the guy sitting behind me was like "That's not true." And when I finished up my critique I heard him say, "Well, that's an assumption" as if I had made a personal attack on him or something.

Fine, you don't have to agree with me, but I thought at least they could laugh about it. The teacher thought it was pretty funny and go a good laugh out of it. But I still stand by my comment. Yes, there are guys out there who love to share their emotions, but I still don't think they are the majority.
04-12-2011, 04:28 PM   #103
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Marisa: Wow, what a bunch of weirdos in your class! I took a creative writing poetry class my last year of college and it was great fun - there were a few people with legitimate talent in that class (including one girl who actually got a job offer to write greeting cards - and she got the job offer while she was still taking the poetry class, she hadn't even graduated yet!). Most of us knew we didn't have much talent as poets but it was fun to read our poems out loud and laugh at ourselves and give each other some creative criticism. I had fun and I do think it helped my writing skills too. Sounds like the people in your class take themselves waaaay too seriously! At least it sounds like the teacher is having fun. I hope you're able to have some fun with it too - get those sourpusses in the class to lighten up!
04-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #104
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
BTW, "ropa vieja"? My spanish is super rusty, but doesn't that mean old clothes?? I'm curious now, what's a dish like that consist of (and taste like)?
04-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #105
beth

My Support Groups:
My vent of the day... poxy bloomin stupid owners with out of control staffordshire bull terriers might be flippin apologetic but the poxy thing was still trying to attack all and sundry even after I was laying on the ground going 'oops I appear to have hurt my foot on your dogs thick skull', or words to that effect - it hit me tho I have a slight wish that it was the result of a deliberate counter attack - and I'm pretty amazed at myself for stepping in, which was I think due to me being genuinely concerned that Jessie (my dogs) life being in danger.
6 poxy boring weeks, fractured 4th metatarsal, at least before I'll be able to go for much of a walk - which is the only way I've kept my sanity these last couple of years. Majorly

Last edited by beth; 04-12-2011 at 04:45 PM.
04-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #106
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Beth, forgive me, I've never heard the term "poxy" before - am I correct in understanding it means "stupid" or something to that effect?

How awful that some mean dogs attacked you and your dog, and broke your bone no less! We have a similar problem with pit bull terriers over here, so many (stupid) people think it's really cool to have a dog that is bred for fighting and could kill you easily if it wants or if it snaps. And a lot of the people who have pit bulls around here don't train them well, so the dogs can get really out of hand. It can be really scary to have a dog like that approach me and/or my little corgi. I carry pepper spray in my purse but I don't know if I'd be able to get it out and use it quickly enough in the event of an attack. And I don't know if I'd be able step in like you did - I'd probably just stand there unable to move, or pass out from shock or something equally unhelpful. I hope you're able to find something to keep you sane until your foot heals.
04-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #107
beth

My Support Groups:
Yeah, poxy is a polite substitute for swear words.

Thankfully this was only a little thing not one of the bigger fighting breeds. So many of these dogs are used to infer status and as you say not trained. Many of the owners wouldn't, I think, have any real idea of how and what to train them. They end up in rescue centres all too often when the owners gets bored or it bites the children/etc. I dont like the breed, it looks ugly IMHO!, but I feel really sorry for them as they only need boundaries, training/etc, to be sensible happy dogs.

I think pepper spray is classed as an offensive weapon here and is an "absolute" meaning there is no defence in court.
Hey ho.
04-12-2011, 05:33 PM   #108
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
Beth - I saw your status this morning! That is awful! Hope you and your doggie are on the mend now.

Cat - Your Spanish translation is correct! It does mean old clothes. It's basically a way of describing what the beef looks like. they cook it down in tomato-based liquid with peppers and onions until it becomes super soft and shredded - resembling old clothes. It's SOO tasty. One of my fav Spanish dishes ever. Typically is served with yellow rice and peas and platanos (sweet, fried bananas).

Check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ropa_vieja

BTW...just got a call from Banana Republic. I have my 2nd interview tomorrow morning!
04-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #109
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
My vent of the day.....being awoken by a migraine-like headache and getting 4 hours of sleep...
04-13-2011, 12:12 AM   #110
tiloah

My Support Groups:
My vent of the day.....being awoken by a migraine-like headache and getting 4 hours of sleep...
Oh no! That's the worst. Hope you are feeling better.
04-14-2011, 12:06 PM   #111
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Marisa, how'd it go with your interview? When do you find out if you got the job?

My mini-vent today is that a TON of my co-workers have colds and I'm pretty sure I'm going to catch a cold from one of them. My allergies have been bad lately and today I've caught myself scratching around my nose and eyes, which is of course bad - you're not supposed to touch your face if you're concerned about germs or if people around you are sick. I have been doing it unconsciously and always catch myself when it's too late, so I think a cold is probably inevitable now. It's a nasty one too, one of my co-workers was out sick for 2 days because his cough was so bad. Yuck!
04-14-2011, 12:37 PM   #112
Astra

My Support Groups:
My super mini vent today - bloody cars!
My Astra has had a full service for 155, and a MOT for 30
It failed it's MOT miserably!
I had to fork out another 35 for new brake pads, then it passed.
And another 35 for a diagnostic look at the engine cos it's software needs updating.
By the bloody hell's fire!
255, now I'm totally brassic and totally pissed off!

Hey Beth, I hope you're ok? Bloody dog owners! Poor dogs always get the blame when it's down to the owners not training them etc.
I dread taking Jay out to the park, there's always a mad Staffie knocking about! and...
OMG!! don't get me started on dog poo!
HUGE BUG BEAR!
I've actually gone up to people in the park '....Er, excuse me... (very indignantly)
Can't believe I've not had a smack in the chops yet, or worse, dog poo thrown at me!

lotsa luv
Joan the Moan

Joan

Dx Crohn's in TI 2005 symptoms for 15 years prior

BEEN ON -Azathioprine, 6MP, Prednisolone, Pentasa, Budesonide, Metronidazole, Humira, Methotrexate,

NOW ON -Amitriptyline 25mg
21/02/14 Right hemicolectomy surgery

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...4208290&ref=ts

No-one should make you feel inferior without your consent!

04-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #113
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Okay, one more small mini-vent from me (I'm a champion complainer, aren't I? ). I was supposed to have a physical therapy appointment tomorrow for my arthritic hip - I scheduled this appointment quite a while back, over a month ago I think, and just this afternoon I got a call saying it has to be rescheduled because the therapist called in sick. Now, I know they have multiple physical therapists there, and since I've never been there before, I was hoping they could just assign me to a different one? Nope, for some stupid reason I have to stick with sick-girl so I had to wait until she had another opening. Urgh! That's just really annoying to me, once you get arbitrarily assigned to someone you have to be their patient and can't switch, even if you haven't had one appointment with them yet? That's so stupid!
04-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #114
tiloah

My Support Groups:
Okay, one more small mini-vent from me (I'm a champion complainer, aren't I? ). I was supposed to have a physical therapy appointment tomorrow for my arthritic hip - I scheduled this appointment quite a while back, over a month ago I think, and just this afternoon I got a call saying it has to be rescheduled because the therapist called in sick. Now, I know they have multiple physical therapists there, and since I've never been there before, I was hoping they could just assign me to a different one? Nope, for some stupid reason I have to stick with sick-girl so I had to wait until she had another opening. Urgh! That's just really annoying to me, once you get arbitrarily assigned to someone you have to be their patient and can't switch, even if you haven't had one appointment with them yet? That's so stupid!
Did they ask if you could switch or did they assume you wanted to stick with her? Is it possible they would let you switch? Or maybe the Rx you got has to go with a specific person. That is really such a bummer, especially since all practitioners are so damn busy now it takes forever to get back in. D:

My mini vent for the day is that the Prednisone is no longer giving me energy. I didn't mind having insomnia as long as I didn't *need* the sleep. Now I am back to waking up exhausted after 8 hours. *le sigh*
04-14-2011, 04:49 PM   #115
TheMrs

My Support Groups:
Getting stuck doing all the cleaning for every holiday. I am fortunate to have housecleaners come before a big event but they have to be able to get to things to clean it.
I start giving notice weeks before " please don't make any new big messes, if you take something out put it away, bring the mt everest of laundry down from your closet, shovel a path through your rooms" and sure enough it'll be The night before and I'm the one staying up all night to get it done.

I was so peeved today I took a big black garbage bag and dumped everything on my 15 year old sons floor into it and he can sort out what's clean or not as he wants it.

I love my family but holy cow. My husband is a wonderful man, but great googily moogily is he a slob. I'm afraid if I croak they'll end up on hoarders.

Meanwhile, somehow, I'm the crazy one because I'm running around screaming at everyone for not cleaning for the cleaners!!!
04-14-2011, 06:05 PM   #116
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
Hey Cat - Thanks for checking up on me

The interviews went well. They were super short! I had my 2nd interview yesterday morning and I decided to dress down a bit. I still wore business appropriate wear (slacks, boots, a nice blouse, and a fun necklace--just no suit this time. And I still felt I was dressed nicer than most of the workers there, haha.

I was told I'd be called with a decision by the end of the week. So, that's coming up pretty soon! Maybe as early as tomorrow I might hear something.

Also...I workshopped another one of my stories today in class. It was slightly unexpected. Two of the three people that said they would have something ready by Thursday didn't even show up to class--neat. So, she almost let us go 45 minutes EARLY because no one else had anything. I had a feeling that was going to happen, so I had printed out the story I finished writing yesterday. But, I hadn't gone through the editing process yet, so I didn't want to make transparencies for the overhead projector unless needed. So...that's what happened. And guess what?? THEY LOVED IT! I was pretty convinced it was going to get super criticized based on how some of my other peices went, but I was totally wrong. I did get some minor feedback I'll be tweaking, but she told me I should leave the rest as is. She even asked for a copy she could keep for he "own amusement" and as an example of how to write in 3rd person objective. Apparently, the only "good example" she tells people about is Hills Like White Elephants by Ernest Hemingway. Does that mean I'm just as good as him? Hahaha...

Anyway...I have nothing to complain about today.
04-14-2011, 09:58 PM   #117
MADiMarc

My Support Groups:
Hi, Cat!
I don't understand this. I am a speech pathologist & if I have a sick day, I make it up that week. I have to because that is the way insurance works. I do home health, mainly pedi but some adult also. The orders are only good for so long.
Sorry you nave to go through all this jazz.
Michele
04-15-2011, 09:02 AM   #118
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Marisa: That's awesome about your class! So glad to hear that everybody loved your story. That had to be a nice feeling after everything else you've gone through in that class! And good luck with the job, I hope you get the call soon!

My mini vent of the day is that I'm completely exhausted. Last night my acid reflux decided to start acting up just before bedtime. I took some Tums and some Zofran and stayed up too late because I just cannot lie down when the acid is going like that. Then, when I finally did crawl into bed, for some unknown reason my dog wouldn't stop barking. I couldn't figure it out, she had food & water and she had just been out for a pee & poo. My only guess it that the dishwasher was just finishing up a cycle and she didn't like the sound, but we've run the dishwasher at night in the past and she's never had a problem before. She finally shut up after about an hour of barking. When I finally did nod off, I still didn't sleep well - had vivid dreams which mostly involved nausea in some way (I don't know if anybody else has been to Disneyland lately, but there's an Indiana Jones ride there which makes me so very nauseous, and for some reason I kept dreaming that I was going on that ride!). So even when I did sleep, I didn't really get much rest. My hip is hurting again now too. I just keep telling myself, I just have to make it through today, then I can rest the whole weekend. I have no plans, so I'm just going to relax.

On a side note, I've been considering getting a second job, but was not sure if I could handle it. On days like this, it becomes abundantly clear that my body absolutely could not handle having to go to a second job.
04-15-2011, 09:07 AM   #119
Astra

My Support Groups:
Mini vent part 2

Software updates for my car cost another 93!!!
350 I've forked out this week
Bloody cars!
I'm soooooooooooooooooo venting!!
04-15-2011, 09:23 AM   #120
TheMrs

My Support Groups:
Major holiday still on horizon- check

Cleaners coming today and I still have stuff to pick up- check

Woke up again at 2 am, this time with my stupid cough- check

STARTED MY STUPID PERIOD TWO WEEKS EARLY- CHECK!!