• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mini-vents

Saw my little kitty today :)

Still not eating, but she's staying hydrated on IV fluids and peeing. It was cute. she had a little IV taped like a cast around her front leg that was attached to an IV pole. Aww. She vomited a bit this morning again. They're still giving her antibiotics and will try an appetite stimulant tonight and call tomorrow with an update. She is staying until Tuesday, but thankfully the quote they had given us for $500 was for the stay until Tuesday. Though I'm sure that wasn't including the cost of all the shots, fluids, and medications she's been given. The doc didn't mention the barium x-ray again, but I imagine if she still isn't eating after the appetite stimulant, they might have to move on to further testing. The x-ray will cost $300. So, that's $800 already not including extra medication/treatment costs. Scary... Really hoping they find out what it is soon. Otherwise my credit card is going to be maxed out!

She at least looked like she was in good hands and wasn't struggling with them while being carried.

Wah. I miss my baby. the other two kitties, I think, miss her too. Yesterday they were especially quiet all day. And my boy cat even laid next to me all last night in the exact position Chloe normal sleeps in. I saw him sniffing her spot there. :( They got to see her today too since they got shots. But, I think they were more interested in getting home after being stuck with needles! But yeah...that's the news.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Marisa, I hope Chloe feels better soon! Keep us updated, sending happy thoughts your way. And that's nice that your kitties sleep with you. I tried letting Lydia sleep on the bed with us - she always does fine for a few hours, but then around 2 AM she decides it's time to wake up and play. And since hubby & I are asleep, she somehow decided that the best way to wake us up is by biting our toes! Ow, not a fun way to suddenly be awoken! I gave her plenty of chances but almost every night I got my toes bitten, so now we kick Lydia out of the bedroom before we go to sleep.

Cat - Haha, our cat, Daphnis, did that when he was a baby, but stopped when he got older. He does still have a habit of walking on our pillows at about 5 am every morning letting us know it's time to feed him. But, we just shut him out of the room and sleep until 7 am when it's actually time to feed them. He used to scratch at the door when we kicked them out, but thankfully he finally stopped that. Cats are funny. :)

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Marisa, cats are definitely funny! My cat & dog don't really get along, although they're gradually getting better. Lydia hardly ever hisses at Lily nowadays, and she hissed all the time when we first got Lily. The funniest thing is when I go outside for just a few seconds, they both wait right at the back door for me, they sit right next to each other directly behind the door! Like this morning, I took the garbage out, so I was outside for literally about 10 seconds. They weren't near the door when I went out, but I had to tell them to both move when I came back in, because they were both blocking the door! It's so funny, they both want to wait for me and see where I've gone, that they can occupy the same space together for that time. I think they are secretly becoming more friendly, but Lydia has to outwardly appear like she's the queen and is too cool to be friends with a dog. ;)

My mini-vent today is ants! I know I've talked about my centipede problem before, but now I've got ants in my bathroom which is new. The weird thing is, we used to have ants in our bathroom when we lived in an apartment, and they were in that room to eat the cat's food. But now that we moved to a house, the cat's food is in the spare bedroom, and there's no ants in there. The ants in the bathroom seem to just be scouts because I only ever see 2 at a time in there. There's nothing for them to eat in the bathroom, and I always squoosh the two that I see. So it seems like, when the two don't come back, they send 2 more as scouts to see what's up. So every day it seems like I kill 2 more ants! I wish they'd give up already! It's just weird that every day I only ever see 2 ants, no more and no less! I want to keep smushing them so that they don't make it out to the cat's food in the other room, and I don't want to put down poison just for 2 daily ants. So we seem to be locked in this weird cycle where I kill 2 ants every day.

Yuck. Ants. Ours have thankfully stayed away! We had problems with bathroom ants at the old house we rented. I don't know why they came in there. Like you said, there was nothing for them to eat in there. And just as suddenly as they came, they disappeared. Hope they eventually go away!

Marisa, I'm so sorry about your kitty! I know what you're going through. Last summer I went out of town for the day for my birthday. When I got home, my boy cat, Bean, was sitting on the table with his arm all crooked. I thought it was just caught on the cloth, but when I walked up to him, I realized he had done something to it. I started BAWLING my eyes out and I made my boyfriend race us to the animal er. Turns out, he had a spiral fracture of his elbow. I still have no idea how he did it, because he's an inside cat and our apartment is really small. The cost to fix his arm was insane. $3500 to set the bone, $2500 to amputate it. It took me 8 days to come up with $3500. I gave them the money then asked to see him efore the surgery. A lady came into the room and told me that I took too long coming up with the money, and they had surrendered him to the humane society. I grabbed the bitch by her shoulders and shook her, screaming and crying. I almost got arrested haha. Luckily, I made it down to the humane society before they put him down. I found a vet outside of town who would set the bone for $1000. He was away from me for almost 2 months. They had to rebreak his elbow and put a pin in. He healed really well, and I got my money back from the first vet. I almost sued them. I was absolutely furious that they gave him away without telling me, AND they took my money before they told me he wasn't even there. Pieces of shit. In total, I spent about $2000 on him. It was the worst time ever. I really hope there's nothing seriously wrong with her, and you get her back ASAP. My cats are my kids, and I would do anything for them. You sound the same way. Take care <3

I keep trying to reply to this thread and it's telling me my session has timed out. 3rd time is a charm??

Aha! It worked. :) Okay, time to type this all out again.

Samantha - Thank you for sharing your story. :) Glad Bean ended up being alright in the end. I would have reacted the same way you did. I hope the doctors at that animal ER get fired or go out of business. No one should have to deal with that!

Update on Chloe:

Still not eating on her own, though she was perkier today than she has been. No vomiting for the past 2 days though it could be due to the antibiotics working or the fact that she hasn't eaten anything. They're giving her an appetite stimulant today and will watch to see if it works and if she can keep the food down. Hopefully it does and we can bring her home tomorrow! If not, further testing may have to be done. All 3 vets that have gone over Chloe's case don't seem to be convinced this is due to any obstruction/blockage, but I guess a barium test would be the next step if she still refuses to eat and/or keep food down. But hopefully as I type this, she is eating and not vomiting :) Our home isn't the same without her!

CHLOE IS HOME!!!

The vet called this morning and said she still didn't eat last night after giving her the appetite stimulant. So, this morning they gave her a different kind and she ate!! So, they said she was ready to go back home and we just brought her home. She is still very weak, but super chatty (might be from the medicine too). But she actually ate a whole serving of her dry food! Hallelujah! She even used the litter box and wandered around the house a bit. Now she's sleeping soundly on the bed next to me. So happy to have my kitty home! And it was only a little over $500 for the hospitalization, which is less than what we were imagining if she was going to need more testing. So, hopefully she's over the hump and will just get better and better now. :) Thanks everyone for listening to all my updates. Time to invest in some pet insurance now!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Yay Marisa! Yay Chloe! So happy to hear that she's home and on the mend and that it didn't break the bank either. :D This makes me want to look into pet insurance - I wonder if they cover hedgehogs or just "mainstream" pets like dogs & cats? I'll have to look into that...

We're pretty sure we're going to go with trupanion insurance (trupanion.com). I'm pretty sure it is only for cats and dogs, but you could check it out to compare prices for other insurance plans, if you want. I've heard a lot of negative reviews about ASPCA and VPI pet insurance. I think they are run by the same company.

My mini vent for the day - decided to go out to a nice dinner tonight. I figure if eating is going to hurt so much, it might as well be worth my while. Then halfway through I get hit with that tidal wave of intense pain/nausea that won't go away until I vomit. BLARGH. Can't wait 'til I can eat without pain.

Mini-Vent:

I am sick of people complaining in their Facebook statuses: "I hate my life! Why did it have to rain today!" or "I locked my keys in the car. What a way to start a day!" I don't want to undermine anyone's problems, but when people flip over the littlest thing, it really gets to me.
what gets me on fb is the friends who were not there for me through my 2year rough road but acted as though they cared lol complaining about crap or god i have to do this or that i just wish for one day they could feel and expierience all our pain mental pains e verything in just one day see what they complain about then!!!

Argh I hate that! One time my blood was coming out really slow and they almost didn't get enough after multiple pokes. Then when they tried to run the tests the blood clotted because the vein had just been too small and that's why it was coming out slowly. Grr! Whenever I see PIMA scrubs I know to get out of there! :p

Couldn't go running today like we had planned. The sole of one of my shoes was starting to flop off (they're pretty old shoes), so we tried super gluing it back on temporarily. But, not even 5 minutes out the door the sole flopped off again. So, tomorrow we're going to the running store and hopefully will have some new shoes to run in!

Mini-vent for the day:
Today is the underwear affair (5k walk in your underwear/costume after raising a bunch of money for below the belt cancers.)
I have my costume all ready. My team is called the league of extraordinary vaginas, so we did a play on the word "league" so were dressing up like different kinds of sports. I'm basketball, my two friends are rugby and hockey, and our team leader is a referee. Our costumes look really good, and instead of pants of shorts were wearing panties. I'm really excited for it, but it's raining, and looks a little chilly out. Not a big deal, but still. Also, I'm not feeling very well today, but I still have to do it. I'm worried about passing out or pain in my joints and stomach. My doctor wanted to get a wheelchair for it, but I can't afford to rent one right now. I mean, I can, but I have other things I need to spend that money on. Like prescriptions.
Then I got invited to 3 parties tonight. The underwear affair after party, which I would really like to go to. One of my best friends house warming party, which I really wanna go to as well. I haven't seen any of my friends in months, and I really wanna see everyone. And then I got invited to a very good family friends birthday. I haven't seen them in a while either, and I'm kind of expected to be there. They're all located rather far from each other, so I'm not sure if I can make it all of them. I'm thinking of doing the underwear affair first (be there at 3, walk at 6, done by 8?) stopping by the birthday party for an hour, then heading to my friends party for the rest of night. complicated!

Haha, I was thinking the same thing, Mark! Sounds like a lot of fun though :) Hope you get to go to everything you want without wearing yourself out too much!

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hope the party merry-go round gets figured out lol....umm...will there be any pictures of the costumes???

@Marisa - glad to hear kitty is home.....also - DUCT TAPE!!!!!...wrap that around the shoe/sneaker until you get new ones...may not look pretty but should work! lol

hmm...mini-vent for today.....you know, I really don't have one!.....spent the day at a flea market, belly behaved (only had to pee 1 time too!)....and made about $175- after expenses!

hmm...mini-vent for today.....you know, I really don't have one!.....spent the day at a flea market, belly behaved (only had to pee 1 time too!)....and made about $175- after expenses!
Nice! It's good to have a nice day too. Maybe we should have a thread/add to this thread mini celebrations.

Today my mini vent is the heat. Hopefully we will be buying a portable AC unit soon. It's not really that hot out and it's 78 in the house right now, but that's enough for me. I'm used to mild and rainy weather and the summer just kills me.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
My mini-vent today is that my sewing machine has decided to not do what I want it to do. It still seems to work fine, except for the button hole stitch. I cannot make it sew a button hole for the life of me! I even went online to the "troubleshooting" site for my particular machine, and I'm doing everything right, so it seems my machine is acting up. When I clicked the "contact us" link on the manufacturer's site, it said "we're sorry but this is unavailable". Argh! I just want to sew one buttonhole, and it seems I will have to do it manually. Which I can do, but I'm just frustrated - things should work like they're supposed to! I've sewed since I was a little girl, and when I was young I had an old machine that worked just fine and got me all the way through college before it finally petered out. Now I've got a newer machine and it doesn't work the way it's supposed to - makes me want to go buy an old machine that'll at least do button holes!

Diesanduhr, I know the feeling. Last summer we had no AC whatsoever and got by using only fans. It was miserable! So this year we broke the bank and spent over $2000 for central air conditioning. I have to say, it's lovely. But the cost was ridiculous! I hope the portable ones are much more affordable!

Kind of a mega-vent..

I HATE CROHNS I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT!!!
Sorry. I'm feeling VERY childish and immature today. Crohns just keeps fucking with me. Hospital visits, dr visits, bloodwork, more dr visits, calls to the dr, back to the hospital, better for about two days, sick as hell again for a week.
I'm soooooooo done with it. BUT YOU CAN'T BE DONE WITH IT. I keep crying because I have no money but I can't work. I need more pills, but can't purchase them. I'm SO nauseas, but nothing to get rid of it. I can't buy any food, gas, smokes (YES I STILL SMOKE) anything. I can't do it anymore. I hate being on narcotics but the ONLY way I feel even remotely good is if I take them. What's gonna happen when they won't give me any more?!
These stupid meds aren't working, my dr wants me back in the stupid hospital with all the contagious, crazy, stinky old fuckers staring at me when I hobble to the bathroom for the 19th time that day.
I don't need to be in there. I've been much, MUCH sicker before and not been in the hospital. Just find a medication that woooooorks!!!! And let it be cheeeeaaaaap!! And let me get better! Now!

Oh and P.S. OUCH! Did the underwear affair on saturday. I literally can't walk. Like, at all. It usually takes me about ten seconds to get to the bathroom. It's taking me about 30-40 now. I've tried bengay, stretching, painkillers, boyfriend massaged me.. Nothing. OMG. One plus from the situation, besides that it was really fun, Calgary raised $855,000 for cancers below the waist. OH! AND! There was this one girl there, in costume. Her shirt said Captain Awes(t)ome(y). She got on stage and explained her costume (I already knew) and she showed everyone her ostomy! I almost cried. I cheered so hard for her.

Andi - Yikes! We had to deal with that sort of situation earlier this year. Actually both of our cars around the same time. And currently we're out one car because my husband's car is having a problem with overheating and we don't have the money to get it checked out! I wish cars didn't have to be so expensive!

Samantha - Oh no! Sorry to hear things aren't going well for you. Is your doctor open to trying other medications like maybe one of the biologics? If not, have you thought about getting a 2nd opinion from another doctor? Hang in there!

My mini rant is people who take stuff from the fridge that's mine and eat/drink it. Ugh. I had it happen last night and when I said, "Who said you could drink my fruit punch" he turned it around on me being selfish. I'm sorry but I have no money and my fiance bought that for me to last the next few days until my EBT is filled.

Closedingirl - That would bother me too. Even with friends, I always show the courtesy of asking before I use something, unless it was stated previously that I was welcome to. I don't understand when people feel entitled to things like that. In college, I had that happen a few times with some of my roommates. Thankfully, we each had mini fridges in our bedrooms that I just started keeping my personal items in that I didn't want others to take rather than putting it in the communal fridge in the kitchen.

Why me, do I go on about me... well sometimes because this life gets me down. That's why I'm taking antidepressants, they help some otherwise I'd be back in bed all the time not going 'woe is me' but because I'm plain frigging knackered. It takes energy to fight and a positiveness that just isn't there to call up. Great if your kid can do it, or your neighbour, your elderly aunt, or you. Yeah things could be worse, for someone else, but I'm not there, I'm here, and my life is different to yours, it's my experience, it isn't yours. So, please, don't tell me how I should experience my life or I might just be tempted to give you the whole lot.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I felt like CRAP for 3 days after that danged massive headache Sat night.....actaully feel kind of human today.....

BUT - I had an interview for a transfer position yesterday, had a headache still and may have flubbed it due to not being able to concentrate! aaarrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Pasobuff - I'm sure your interview went well regardless, my experience of being sick during things like that is it doesnt actually affect you as much as you think it will! Best of luck for it; I'm sure you kicked ass!!

My mini vent for today (after having the most AWESOME grad ball weekend ever btw) is that we're out of money :-( we've had so much to pay for recently with the Ball, bills, moving house (deposits, advance rent etc etc) that we're totally out now and it's 2 weeks till payday :-S. Not quite sure what we're gonna do..... STRESS

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
thanks lulu...I actually just sent my Chief the following email - not that I'm sucking up or anything.....

Chief –

I just wanted to say thank you for the opportunity to meet yesterday and discuss the OPWDD position and transfer opportunity. I do have to apologize for not being more enthusiastic yesterday – I have been battling a headache for 4 days now (waiting on more testing) and wasn’t feeling my best yesterday. I do look forward to seriously being considered for one of the positions – I feel that I would be an asset to the program, it sounds like a challenging and also fulfilling type of work that will be done and something that I would enjoy putting 110% of my time and effort into to help make it successful.

I look forward to hearing back from you regarding this position.
I WAS going to mini-vent about the MRI not being aproved, BUT I got a call from my doctors office about 10 minutes ago with the approval - so in about 10 minutes I'm OUTTA HERE and on my way. Already changed out of uniform to comfy clothes - although I know I'll have to change tehre (I think).....it is an OPEN MRI from what I understand too...should be interesting!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Lulu, I know the feeling! I've got bills on top of bills too. It's so stressful!

My mini-vent (kind of a big vent actually) is that my brother has been driving me crazy lately. It's like talking to someone I don't know. Okay, here's some backstory. My brother was discharged from the air force last summer and didn't have anywhere to live. My dad said that if my brother moved back in with him, that he'd either kill brother or brother would drive him to his grave. They do not get along and just cannot live together. So, I have a 3 bedroom house and it's just hubby and me and the pets, so I offered brother our guest bedroom for as long as he needed. We thought it was just going to be a few months but it's been almost a year now. Brother pays rent to us every week and has been a fine housemate, up until the past couple of months.

I honestly don't know what caused the weird personality change. Brother has struggled with depression his whole life and he also smokes a lot of weed. I don't know if either of those are responsible for this or not. But lately, I just cannot talk to him! For example, the other day he got up at 11 AM which is odd for him because he usually stays up very late and sleeps until like 2 PM. So I asked him if he had to work early and if that was the reason for him being awake at the crack of noon. He got a weird look on his face and said, "Work? What is work?" Like he was trying to be philosophical about it? And just the other day, he and I and my mom were putting together plans to all get together this coming weekend. So I told him where & when. And he was like, "I'm not a time traveler. I don't live in the future. I am in the now. I can't tell you what I will be doing in the future because I cannot know that. I have autonomy." (Something like that anyway - autonomy and mastery are his two favorite words lately - I call them his Bull*** words because he just sounds like he is talking BS!)

The worst, though, is whenever my illness is mentioned. He starts telling me what I should & shouldn't do to get better. Like, he keeps telling me I should exercise (I already do, not because he tells me but because it's part of my physical therapy for my arthritis). And whenever I complain about a symptom, instead of him saying oh that's too bad or whatever, he'll say "And how does that make you feel?" Like he's frigging trying to analyze me! I said, it feels like this! And I slammed a door in his face, and then I burst into tears. It's like he doesn't care about anything anymore and is a completely different person. It's been super stressful on me lately, I can't take much more of robot/crazy brother. I know it's not just me this is affecting, my husband has noticed this lately too and my friend was over the other day when brother started haranguing me and I just told him he's talking BS again and walked away - my friend was like, oh my gosh, that was awful, are you okay?

So, what would you guys do? Kick him out? I think he needs help, I'm wondering if the drugs or the depression are doing this to him. But I don't think he'll admit he's got a problem or accept help. I don't want to enable this to continue - if he's on his own, and he's depressed, it might get even worse though. I just don't know! What on earth do you do when a close relative suddenly has a personality change like this? I should mention, when he's not working he spends about 95% of his time in his room, on his computer. He doesn't seem to have friends, and he compulsively cleans a LOT lately too. That's another part of the personality change, he was always kind of messy before.

Sorry, that was a long vent. But I think I need some help here with my brother. Help?

Edited to add: Lately he's also been saying that "an unexamined life is not worth living" which is apparently why he's been so analytical about certain things. A few years ago he was very depressed and made some vague threats about suicide. I obviously REALLY don't want it to come to that. He hasn't threatened lately but if he's depressed he's probably had some thoughts. I just don't know. This should probably be in its own thread since it's not a mini-vent at all but a big old vent and problem!

Cat,
Have you asked him if he is depressed/feeling low?
and have you told him he's pissing you off and if he doesn't stop it you will need to reconsider his staying with you?

I can't say this in normal society but I know you guys can understand... I went to the bathroom last night and when I wiped it was mucus - it looked like I had blown my nose (if snot were brown). Gross.

Cat - That is really rough. It can be so hard to reach people and get them the help they need. I hope you can work something out. *big hug*

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Little Miss H: That's the hard part, lately I can't even ask him a simple question without getting a weird non-answer (like the "Work? What is work?" thing - couldn't even get him to tell me if he was going to work or not!). But I'm sure he is depressed, nobody who is happy spends all their time smoking pot and on the computer and sleeping in. And I'm also sure he knows that I'm unhappy with the way he talks to me - I've told him several times to his face that he's talking BS to me, and I slammed the door in his face that one time as well.

But the next time it happens, I will spell everything out clearly - I will say something like, "Bro, are you depressed? I have noticed a change in your personality and I am worried about you. And, even if you are depressed, you are not to talk to me like this in my own house." Does that sound okay? Or should I say it differently? Maybe I could say it in his language: "Your verbal mastery lately has left me feeling not very autonomous..."

If I do end up having to kick him out, maybe he'll grow up a little. He's nearly 26 and still living with his big sis and acting like a (weird) big baby.

Cat - I'm really sorry you are having to deal with this. Something peculiar is definitely going on.

I think, I would first try to have a calm and sincere heart to heart with him. Without getting threatening, let him know his behavior recently is upsetting and that you've gone out of your way to take him in. Try your best to address the issues honestly but sensitively.

If that does not go over well, I would contact a professional for advice. If it is depression, then even rational conversations may not be of any benefit to you or him.

As far as it being a possible drug problem, I would have the same advice and suggest contacting someone professional for advice. Unfortunately, even the most loving and well meaning people are powerless against both depression and drug use. It is easy to avoid confrontation and the possibility of kicking out a loved one because of the fear of their problem getting worse. But, letting them stay with you and continue the erratic, hurtful behavior can be just as damaging to them and the people they have to live with.

Depression and drug use are complicated, so I don't claim to have the answers. I'm hoping it's just some kind of weird funk he's gotten into that he'll get out of. But, given his background, I'd probably be worried it was something more serious. With depression you don't want to push people away and with drug use sometimes you have to handle it with tough love. I think a professional would have the best advice for your particular situation.

But, you could try out the heart-to-heart first and gauge his response. Might give you a little more insight on which path to take in dealing with him. :)

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Thanks Marisa. I don't know if I can afford a professional, but I'll see what kind of services we can get around here as far as someone for him to talk to or to mediate between us. I have no idea if brother has insurance so I don't know what services he's covered for, if any. (He works as a food delivery boy, and during busy times he works more than 40 hours per week, but during slow times he works much less than that, so I have no idea if he's actually considered full-time or not or whether he's got insurance through his work.) I'll see what I can come up with, because I think you're right - this is too much for me to handle and a professional should be involved somehow!

I guess I'm still hoping that it's just a "phase" he's going through that eventually he'll get sick of. He does this sometimes, tries out different personality traits (I think he never quite grew out of his teenage years and is still sort of trying to "find himself) although it's never been this bad or weird before. I guess I haven't mentioned yet that there's a lot of obsessive-compulsive disorder in my dad's side of the family. My dad and grandma are both pretty bad, my grandma is a hand-washing fanatic and both of them are borderline hoarders (my dad actually has a trail that you walk through in his bedroom because there's so much stuff piled up in there - I say borderline hoarder because it doesn't extend to the whole house though). I think the cleaning thing my brother has been doing lately may be related to OCD. Maybe the drug use and/or the depression triggered it in his brain, or something. I have a touch of OCD as well, and I try to keep it under control as best I can. I don't want to become a hoarder or germophobic like my dad & grandma. My brother hasn't exhibited any hoarding behavior, but the fact that he's been cleaning the house like crazy lately worries me too. I guess there's probably a lot of complicated stuff going on with him!

Sorry, this vent has gone on too long and I'm probably boring everybody! I'll figure it out, and my brother is an adult and has to move out on his own at some point and take care of himself. After all, "autonomy" is one of his favorite words. ;)

I am too tired to cook dinner, and I'm probably not going to eat anyway.
It's been raining all day and my daughter won't give me ONE SECOND of peace, all I want to do is take a nap.
I threw up after I ate dinner last night and I'm so scared that it's going to happen again.
I have to have an abdominal ultrasound on Friday.
I've lost so much weight that none of my clothes fit and I don't have the money to buy new ones, spending all our money on meds and procedures.
I want a coke so bad, but I can't tolerate carbonated beverages right now.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
was having a pretty good afternoon....got the MRI done (anyone know how to read those things- I have a copy here!).....was out mowing some grass before getting ready to start the grill - hubby was supposed to be home @6pm, my PLAN was to start the griill right about then, and cook the chicken breasts for dinner @7pm....

WELL - hubby gets home and is PISSED OFF that I didn't have the chicken on already!....not sure what but crawled uop HIS ass today - I tried to tell him that if he had called when he was about 15 minutes out to give me a good time frame, I would have started the grill then - OTHERWISE my plan was to put the food on @615 and have it done by 7pm (we often eat around then!).....he can't get it through his thick head that I can actually cook chicken breast in less than an hour on the grill!

So - I popped a couple of headache pills, and to hell with the warning on the bottle- I want to SLEEP so a cocktail for dessert!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I have a much more light-hearted vent today, I promise. ;)

My mini-vent today is that I wish I could eat normal foods! Whenever there's a big meeting at work, they always bring in food and I'm always offered some of the food, and it seems like I can never eat it. Last time, they did a taco bar. Meat, spice, and dairy all kill me, so I stayed away from that. And today they've got mini sandwiches, soup, and salad. The sandwiches all have veggies that I can't have like celery, the soup is cream-based (dairy), and the salad has nuts in it. So I am sitting here at my desk eating a cookie (which tastes horrible by the way) as it was the only thing that I could see that wouldn't affect me too badly. I feel like a loser, a weirdo, and like I'm not "being a team player" or whatever. It's totally not anyone's fault, I don't expect them to order food that fits my diet by any means, but I do feel like I've failed in some way for not being able to eat with the rest of my co-workers. It's amazing all the ways that this illness can be isolating, huh?

You should ask them next time they get food in is it possible to get some....eg plain chicken on White bread with no butter or whatever you can have. I'm sure they'd be happy to know what to get so they can feel like they are including you. I know my work colleagues feel u comfortable when they eat around me. I have told them it's fine and I don't mind, and take myself a little pack up...but they would cater for me if I told them what to get. I'd rather take my own stuff so I can be sure it's ok.

Dreamtwilight: If I had the room in my bedroom, I'd do that. We have had a long standing war on people eating other people's stuff. I live in a house with five other people.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
I still haven't heard anything about the transfer position....I know interviews were closing today - and the promotions were announced a little while ago.....I WANT TO KNOW!!!!!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Little Miss H, I also pack my own food to eat at work. I don't want to put anybody out or make them eat not-delicious bland food that I can eat, so I don't usually ask for them to include something for me. Most of my co-workers know that I've been ill for awhile and have a lot of problems with certain foods, and they do try to be accommodating, and I'm afraid that if I speak up and ask for something specific then they'll think that I'm snubbing their efforts at already being accommodating, or something like that.

Can I do another mini-vent today? It is c-c-c-cold in the office today! Yesterday it was like 95 degrees out, so hot, and they had the air conditioning cranked up. It's only about 65 degrees out today, much cooler, but the AC is still set on high! I'm just about to go make a cup of hot chocolate, brrr!

My house is a wreck and I haven't been feeling well enough to do anything except keep everyone in clean underwear, and maybe unload the dishwasher occasionally. My bathroom is in need of a major cleaning....I've spent all morning in there. Jokes on me though, can't get much cleaning done when I can't get off the toilet. :poo:

Seriously! How can I possibly go 6 times in a half-hour? I feel like I'm doing a colonoscopy prep today :frown:

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
feel better soon Rebecca!!!!!

Well - the interviews are actually done TODAY!.....so probably won't hear anything this afternoon....more likely Monday or Tuesday....

Now of course my head HURTS again today - worse than yesterday but no where near as bad as Sunday.....

I just got an email from my neurologists assistant..... " Doug, Dr. James did receive your sleep study report and the results are that you have central sleep apnea."

This is the third life altering diagnosis I have had in 2 years. Essential Tremor, Crohn's, and now Sleep Apnea...... What else can go wrong!!!!!!!

My mini-vent is after months and months of the same few bland, boring foods, I have been branching out with a high success rate (D not great but not bad enough to stop). But I have never felt iller. I do not put it down to the food; every few weeks I seem to get that little bit worse.
Oh the irony! :mad2:

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
I am hoping that everybody is feeling better. Can you tell me a little more about sleep apnea, Doug? My husband's doctor is suspecting that he might have that. I have many questions. I probably should google it.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
my mini-vent.....last night my hubby and I were having 'relations' (I was actualkly still AWAKE at 11pm LOL)......well - there was a 'slip' and I hurt myself! now it hurts to pee dang it!....abstinence for a few days I guess until things heal.....GGGRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am hoping that everybody is feeling better. Can you tell me a little more about sleep apnea, Doug? My husband's doctor is suspecting that he might have that. I have many questions. I probably should google it.
Andi

I don't know that much about it either. I googled it last night. (mayoclinic.com) Sleep Apnea is when somebody stops breathing while they are asleep. They finally wake up gasping for air. Sounds scary.

There are 2 kinds, obstructive sleep apnea - when something in the respiratory tract actually blocks your breathing. This is 95% of all cases. The other is central sleep apnea - in which your brain just stops sending signals to the muscles that control your breathing. This is the other 5% of all cases. I apparently am one of the special 5%. By the way, the doctor who originally told me to get the sleep study done.... My G.I. doc. He was concerned about my energy level not being good months after my surgery.

my vent is once in 6 years have I asked anyone to watch my two girls so my hubby and I can take a get-a-way for 2 days! He asked his brother and his wife but of course they have their head in their ass and won't help us!! Last year they stayed with us because they were splitting up and I did everything for her and she never did a damn thing! Not even watch my kids. Also I even watched her kids many times before over night and all day. They are my niece and nephew...it's family! Family helps family! Well not his brother! So now I have to ask friends which I feel bad. All my friends have stepped up and have said they girls can stay with them. I feel bad asking but I wish family would step up! GRR! Its 2 days seriously?? Can't handle 2 kids?? So we shall see what happens. I would love to have a mini get a way with my hubby.

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Damn Paso....what the....how the...a slip and it hurts to pee!!! I really don't need to know but if you're brave enough to post that^^^^, I'm brave enough to ask anyway:)!

Doug, I'm assuming a breathing mask won't be enough to fix your SA. I have an old college friend who has been sleeping with one since his early twenties. He would never go back to w/o it!!

rygon

enjoy your get together :) i find friends are much better than relatives, and i will tell relatives when im peeved off with them as well (why shouldnt i)

I have girl problems, ok one day next day they are gits.. aghh sod them lol

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Damn Paso....what the....how the...a slip and it hurts to pee!!! I really don't need to know but if you're brave enough to post that^^^^, I'm brave enough to ask anyway:)!
Holy cow Dex!!! I think I am going to have to send you a PM explaining!!!

Dusty. xxx

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Oh, I see!! But Dusty, I'm pretty sure not everyone dives off the bed on their mate wearing leopard print negligee!! Still, thanks for the image!!

my vent is once in 6 years have I asked anyone to watch my two girls so my hubby and I can take a get-a-way for 2 days! He asked his brother and his wife but of course they have their head in their ass and won't help us!! Last year they stayed with us because they were splitting up and I did everything for her and she never did a damn thing! Not even watch my kids. Also I even watched her kids many times before over night and all day. They are my niece and nephew...it's family! Family helps family! Well not his brother! So now I have to ask friends which I feel bad. All my friends have stepped up and have said they girls can stay with them. I feel bad asking but I wish family would step up! GRR! Its 2 days seriously?? Can't handle 2 kids?? So we shall see what happens. I would love to have a mini get a way with my hubby.
Well when they want a favour next you know what to say... :voodoo:

I know it may seem like such a minor thing, but I am really tiny and I have lost a LOT of weight dealing with this stricture.

It's summertime, the kids are out of school and we live a mile from the beach. I am so exhausted all of the time but I'm determined to have some fun even if it kills me. I've lost so much weight since last year that I've been searching for a new bathing suit...I have been crying non-stop...I hate clothes shopping when I am sick. I bought a bathing suit yesterday, it is a girls size 16. I'm 34 years old, how embarrassing.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
@Sarah...wear it with PRIDE!!!.....to hell with everyone else, a few years back (ok, a lot of years now!) I went to Fla to visit a (male) friend for a long weekend.....I was probably around 100lbs and I'm 5'5.....we went to the beach, I have some god-awful pictures of myself too...but you know what, I had FUN!.....

@Dexky - well...umm.....let's just say I don't EVER want to repeat this!!!!!.....

With the way things have been going around here, with my friends' son being deathly ill, my Mom's best friend visiting and knowing it is most probably her last visit (stage 4 cancer).....I needed to post something that would get some responses to make me laugh!!!

I know it may seem like such a minor thing, but I am really tiny and I have lost a LOT of weight dealing with this stricture.

It's summertime, the kids are out of school and we live a mile from the beach. I am so exhausted all of the time but I'm determined to have some fun even if it kills me. I've lost so much weight since last year that I've been searching for a new bathing suit...I have been crying non-stop...I hate clothes shopping when I am sick. I bought a bathing suit yesterday, it is a girls size 16. I'm 34 years old, how embarrassing.
After all you've been through, you deserve some fun! Go to the beach and ROCK that bathing suit Girl!:dog:

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
It was Scott's day off, but he decided to go shooting with a couple of buddies. I wanted to do something together. The upside, he did come home with a canoe. One of his friends from work is getting a divorce and is getting rid of things. Our home is right in front of the Campbell Creek. It's literally in our back yard. I going to make him take me canoeing.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Andi, have fun with that canoe! Hubby and I actually have a 2-person kayak, but we haven't taken it out since I've been ill. We did a lot of kayaking back in the summer of 2009 (I got ill in Oct 09) and that was really fun. I told hubby the other day that we really should take the kayak out again sometime soon. I've decided to be brave and hope that I won't need a bathroom while we're out kayaking (and I'll take extra Lomotil and Zofran with me, ha ha).

My mini-vent today is that my hip freaking HURTS. My arthritis went from a dull ache to a sharp poking pain yesterday. It seems worse when I am sitting down and it's actually not terrible when I'm walking, so I'm going to attempt to walk the dog tonight. We live right by the dog park, and there's a lady who also lives in our neighborhood who owns a tiny corgi puppy that looks just like a small version of my own corgi! So I really want to see this puppy again, and the lady said she takes her puppy to the park most evenings. So, this will be my reward - if I can drag my sorry butt and sore hip to the dog park, hopefully I get to see my dog play with her adorable tiny doppelganger. :)

Kayaking must be in the air. Our friends have just bought a 2 person inflatable canoe. They have said we can borrow it whenever we want ..even for our summer camping trip where we are by a river...let's hope my insides are behaving themselves by then.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
My head hurts this morning!.....started augmentin yesterday, this morning feel nauseated a bit, took some headache meds (not really working yet - might take another soon!)...have a achyfeeling in my chest- kind of like heartburn right behind my breastbone.......

on a good note, got my mammogram results back with NO abnormalities found!

Threw up twice yesterday, second time it was into the trash can as I was sitting on the toilet. I am going to have to call my GI soon if this keeps up, no way will I make it to my June 27 appointment. I know he put me on pred for inflammation and partly to help me gain weight, but I have lost weight since I saw him. I told him I was throwing everything up, did he think I was exaggerating?:mad2:

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Andi, I feel for you. I've gradually been feeling a little worse every day, afraid that I'm slipping towards a flare. Woke up this morning with abdo pains, nausea, and weakness. Stupidly I went to work anyway but if this gets any worse I'll be headed home sick. The good news is that I already have a GI appointment scheduled for Monday morning.

This is more than just a mini vent, but I don't really want to go into detail about it. I'm going through some upsetting family problems and am really sad about it.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Sorry to hear that, Marisa. :( Try not to let it get you too down (easier said than done I'm sure), you know what stress does to our insides. I hope the problems get resolved soon.

On the plus side, I feel better today! My hip is the only thing that still hurts. I'm hobbling around like an old lady. My husband bought a cane years ago because he got awful sunburn on his feet to the point where he could barely walk. I think I might have to ask him to dig out his cane soon so that I can use it! Stupid arthritis. I don't know what to do - I did the exercises my physical therapist showed me, and for a little while it felt better. Then it felt much worse, so I stopped the exercises, and for another little while I felt okay again. But now I'm back to bad again. To exercise or not to exercise?? I wish my body would just pick one already!

Crohn's Mom

Sorry you're having such a bad day Marisa :(
I hope things turn around for the better real soon...family problems are so stressful!

hugs ,
~T~

Yeah, unfortunately, I don't think these problems are going to go away anytime soon. They've been around all of my life, but something life altering is brewing... I really do appreciate the kind words and support though.

I'm glad you're feeling better today, Cat. :)

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
Here's a hug for you Marisssa. I know that family problems can be the worst kind; it can really stab you in the heart. I've been there. Be kind to yourself.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
My mini-vent today is that I feel fat. I bought a pair of too-big pants on sale a couple years ago and put them aside so that I could take them in (I sew, so buying ill-fitting clothes isn't a catastrophe - I have altered many clothes). But they got shuffled to the bottom of my sewing pile and I never took them in. I was going through my sewing pile today and saw these pants - it's probably been 3+ years since I bought them. I'm sure I got them before I became ill. And, even though I've lost some weight lately, my stomach has been bloated, so much so that these pants fit perfectly when I tried them on again today. If anything, they're a little tight! Makes me feel fat that my once too-big pants are now on the verge of being too small. :(

Me, too Cat-been on Weight Watchers and lost 15 lb, but so bloated I look pregnant and nothing fits! Bless my neighbor-she brought me over a pair of maternity pants-LOVE them!!

My mini-vent for today:
The man who lives above us is a disgusting, drunk deadbeat dad, and yesterday he proved all of that to me. Around 10pm, I noticed my cats were really interested in something near my tv (also near an outlet and about 12 cords.) I walked over to see if it was a bug, and noticed my ceiling was leaking! I panicked, ran upstairs and knocked on his door. No answer. I called my landlord. No answer. I called my boyfriend. No answer. I called the property management board. NO ANSWER. Then I called my building security guard. He answered. He basically said there was nothing he could do, since the guy "wasn't home." About an hour later, I hear movement upstairs. The leaking had stopped by then but I was still pissed. I knock about 20 times, and then I finally just opened the damn door. There he was, passed out in the EXACT same spot my ceiling was leaking. He looked dead, so after asking if he was alright about 10 times, I told him I was going to call 911. That woke him up. Long story short, he had been passed out there for hours, and had pissed his pants over and and over again. We have cracks in the cement all over our ceiling, and his urine had leaked down into my apartment. I know this because there are no pipes, faucets, or any other way water would be able to get to the spot that was leaking. And, when I woke him up, his jeans were soaked. It also smelled like human urine in my apartment. You know, that kellogs cereal smell? So I called the police, but they "couldn't do anything." They didn't know about the cracks in the ceiling, so they said there was no way any pee could have gotten through. Even though the stain is clearly yellow, and the towel I put down was yellow and smelled like pee. So now I have to have people coming in and out of my apartment for the next few days, who want to see the damage. I'm sick as all hell right now, and I'm not in the mood to have people in here while I feel like shit. I also had to clean my place yesterday, while clutching my stomach and limping around. I hate living here. Also, after the police left, the bastard upstairs came down here and started threatening me! I noticed he had changed his jeans.. how convenient. I told him if he ever came to my door again I would his homely looking face as a baseball and knock his fucking teeth in. He looked so shocked that a girl was actually speaking to him like that, then he left. He spent the rest of the night stomping on his floor to annoy me.
UUGGGHHHH I can't wait to move. I'm sick of this place, and all the rules, and the nosy neighbours, and the general shittiness of the apartment itself.
Ok, rant over.

OMG!!!! You should call the Health Department or complain to the city! You definitely should NOT be cleaning up human waste; your apartment needs abatement (which means professionally cleaned and disinfected) and your apartment owner should pay for you to stay in a hotel while they have this taken care of.

That loser may not have broken any criminal laws, but for sure your apartment is responsible for violating health laws. I'm sure if you stood and peed on his porch you would get arrested.

With you being on pred, I admire your restraint!

Well, since he changed his pants before the cops got there, and the police don't know about the cracks in the cement, they basically said it's impossible for him to pee enough for it to leak through the floor. But it's the only thing that makes sense! it's yellow, it smells like piss, his pants were soaked, and he was passed out drunk in the exact spot it was leaking. It only leaked for like, 10 minutes. And there are no water pipes or ANYTHING near the spot that leaked. So we're pretty much SOL for now. Everyone thinks it's impossible.
I'm not on pred, but I am on entocort. My boyfriend said the look on my face when he told me it was him was a look of pure madness. The guy looked pretty terrified too. I don't think he expected a small, 20 year old girl to rage on him like that. I was about 5 seconds from grabbing my baseball bat. I was so disgusted.

Had a good long cry last night over these family problems and my eyes are all puffy and swollen today. :( I felt bad for my husband this morning, who was nice enough to stay up and talk with me last night, since he didn't get much sleep and was very tired.

He got a call today from the company he interviewed with for an internship he REALLY wanted. He got 2nd place, but they really went to help him find another position.

It's hard to feel positive about even the small things when you feel like your family life is crumbling away and you can't do anything about it.

@Samantha-I've scared people too when I'm on pred-comes in handy when you're dealing with scum bags-Entocort affects me the same way. Sorry you've got no recourse, that totally sucks! Time to just get out of that place!

@Marisa-Sometimes a good cry is all you can do, usually makes me feel relieved, temporarily anyway. Family problems are always the worst to deal with. Sending hugs and best wishes to you!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I agree with Jeannette, family problems are the worst. Marisa, I hope these hard times get better soon. Sending happy thoughts your way!

I'm having some family troubles too. Nothing horrible, but apparently this weekend my grandparents had my parents over for an end-of-life meeting. My grandfather turns 80 in a few months and my grandmother turns 80 next year. They've both got a lot of health issues, especially my grandfather. They know they don't have a lot of time left so they had my parents over to tell them their funeral & burial wishes, where to find important documents after they pass, etc. It just sort of drives everything home, that they likely won't be around much longer. I don't know how many people in their 30s still have a set of grandparents left, but I doubt many do. My other set of grandparents passed away relatively young, years before I was born, so my two living grandparents are the only grandparents I've ever known. It's just sad to think about.

Well my mini vent kind of pales in comparison, I'm sorry for everyone who is struggling with their families at the moment.

My mini vent is that the kids from down the road have been messing around again. We live near the bottom of a cul de sac, so the local kids (little ones aged around 5 or 6) ride their bikes round. We don't mind so long as they stay away from the cars, and don't go down the alley ways between the sets of terraces (that lead to the back gardens).

Well this morning, Mark couldn't start his bike, he thinks the kids must have fiddled with stuff, but we don't have proof. And this afternoon I went out the back with the dog to put some rubbish in the bin. We heard voices and Max nosed at the gate to see what it was. The gate opened and he shot out, the kids must have undone the latch and were standing in the alley. Well Max wasn't having any of that, he chased the lot away! To be fair it was pretty funny, the look on their faces as they ran away, looking over their shoulders to see him gaining on them, you'd have thought it was a police dog chasing them not a Jack Russell!

Not wanting to go running tonight. We move up to Week 3 in our Couch to 5K program and it's going to be hard! Plus it's super humid out and I hope it doesn't rain on us!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
My mini-vent is that I feel stupid! There's a small gym in the basement of the building I work in. I used to work out in the gym fairly regularly before I became ill. It wasn't until the 1-2-3 punch of my first few flares that I stopped going to the gym altogether, I just didn't feel up to it anymore after all that, I was drained and weak. So the last time I worked out in the gym was about a year and a half ago. So today I decided I'm going to start working out again! I actually feel fairly decent most of the time these days and I need to lose a few more pounds. But, when I went down to the gym on my lunch break, my employee ID wouldn't let me in the door! I was upset, I was really excited about working out today. So after my lunch was over, I came to find out that I was swiping my badge in the wrong card reader! Eek! Now I feel out of shape AND stupid!

(To be fair, I realized there are two card readers next to the door, one right next to it and the other on the far left - you'd think the close one on the right would be the one, but noooo, it's the one far away on the left side! That makes NO sense to me that the further away card reader is the correct one to use!)