Share Facebook

04-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #91
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
Katie, I am droooooooling at the sound of that Sounds like a great quick fix and I will grab those ingredients the next time I get a pizza and/or can't be bothered to cook night!
I just had stuffed mushrooms for lunch. They were so tasty. Guess you can make up any mixture but mine had chopped spinach, homemade cheese, cheddar and egg to bind. Took about 10 mins to prepare and 15 to cook. And I was just thinking, how much nicer is this than the sandwich I would normally have had.

Previous: Prednisolone, Mesren, Omeprazole, Infliximab, Azathioprine
Current: Pentasa, Librax, Warfarin
Helen x
04-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #92
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
I'm littering the thread with messages today. I just wanted to say that I'll be away for a week, out working on our property in Southern New Mexico with no internet access. I'll catchup with ya'll later next week.
That sounds interesting! Have a good time - we'll miss you
04-01-2011, 10:40 AM   #93
DMS

One of the things that I didn't like about SCD was that I could never thicken anything (like Chilli, lasagna, stew or plum sauce), so I played around a little bit and have now got something that works quite well.
I cook a squash - doesn't really matter what kind - spaghetti or butternut usually, scoop out all the insides and put them in the blender and puree them, then I put them in about 1 cup containers in the freezer. When I want to thicken something I'll pull one out to thaw, mix in an egg and then put the mixture in my chilli or whatever, gives it a thicker texture without flour and the squash really doesn't have any taste to it.
Hope you guys are all doing well on the diet
04-01-2011, 10:46 AM   #94
Katiejohnsonwriter

DMS, thank you!!!! That's a great idea!

Diagnosed with Crohn's December of 2009
Weight Loss Blog:http://fitlivingdaily.wordpress.com
Other blog: http://katiejohnsonwriter.com
Twitter: @fitlivingdaily

Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1143948200
04-01-2011, 12:19 PM   #95
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Hope, thanks for posting that. That was my understanding also.

Katie, have a good time in New Mexico. That sounds like fun even if you are working.

DMS, that's a great tip! I love my sauces thick and the "add a little mayo" technique in the book didn't sound appetizing.

Grumletum, it must have been the moon as I was SO tempted to eat pizza yesterday. I didn't though.
04-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #96
hope4

For me I would do anything to not have symptoms of a disease!! I do the SCD because it makes me feel physically normal again! It also got rid of my high blood pressure (lost all the extra weight) and it also healed my ACID REFLUX! So I feel better than I have in years! Only thing is that it has to be your lifestyle. No cheating ever! You get used to it. And everyone around you is in awe and wonder. No one can believe how strong I am. I say I don't have strength, I have FEAR, fear of another abscess! and that keeps me doing the diet. In fact, I am trying to get my whole family to eat like this because it is better for them and so many of them have diabetes, and Gerd. I want them to get better too. Some are trying part of the diet now and they don't even have IBD.
04-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #97
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Very inspiring, Hope. I love hearing stuff like this.

I had to go off the diet for now due to being sick. I haven't been this sick in years! I was too exhausted and sick to do any more cooking for the next step and ran out of chicken soup. I'll restart next week.

The interesting thing was within an hour of eating regular food my diarrhea came back with a vengeance. The diet really sells itself.
04-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #98
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
DMS, that's a brilliant tip about the squash, thank you. Partlycloudy, sorry to hear your still not to good, and I think you're right to take a break for the mo. This diet definitely involves quite a lot of time in the kitchen, meal planning etc. I'm guessing it's something that will become second nature in time.
04-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #99
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
This diet definitely involves quite a lot of time in the kitchen, meal planning etc. I'm guessing it's something that will become second nature in time.
All the dirty dishes really take you by surprise too. I finally turned the corner and believe I just may live, but I'm still too exhausted to prepare anything. Instead of assuming this time, I'm just going to wait until I know for a fact I'm feeling well enough to start anew.
04-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #100
alicat

Do any of you use "cheat products"? For example I have been doing research on the possibility of a commercial yogurt to test the waters before I commit to a yogurt maker. It appears that a number of people who suffer from celiac and severe lactose intolerance who are also following SCD have found Nancy's Yogurt to be an awesome substitute. It is the longest fermented yogurt on the retail market and has twice as much live cultures as Stonyfield's Organic Plain Yogurt at 1.33 billion per mg. While it is not claiming to be lactose free, neither is the yogurt I would make at home. I am considering using it also because I can get it extremely fresh. I live less than 20 minutes from the factory and the creamery is owned by family friends. Anyone else take a gamble like this? At 2 bucks a gallon and less than a couple days removed from the cow it is hard to resist. Thoughts?
04-04-2011, 10:07 PM   #101
DMS

I found their website very interesting. Some good information on there about how the bacterial culture goes down after time, and that yogurt fermented for 10 hours is 60 - 65% lactose free.

I guess if you're wanting to fully try SCD, no, this is not a product that you can have. If you are wanting to get the most live culture in your yogurt, this looks like a great product, and definitely cheaper than buying a pill form of probiotic.

I posted this somewhere else - but. . . if you have an electric skillet (with a temp gage) you don't need a yogurt maker, just heat your milk, cool it down to 110, add your starter and then pour it into a couple of containers that fit into your skillet (that are heat proof), put a therometer in one of the containers, put the lid over the whole thing and set your temp gage low. Moniter the thermometer to see when it reaches 105 - 110, and then leave it for 24 hours.
04-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #102
joannesford

Hi All

I am new here and I have been reading all of your posts with extreme interest. My Rhumatologist thinks I have Crohns. Right now I am eating in much the same way as the SCD diet advocates and I am finding a lot of relief. I am wondering if anybody here lives in England and if any of you might be able to point me in the right direction to find a gastroentorologist that understands how this diet works

Kindest regards

Joanne
04-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #103
hope4

Gosh, I also would like to know about any GI or Colo-rectal surgeon in California that would be also understand this diet and believe in it enough to suggest it to their patients. I am not taking drugs right now, and my GI does not like it. They make me feel that if I don't take the drugs I will never heal from my fistula. But I am healing, so I just don't get it. I maybe having some infection issues due to the fistula as it is an open wound!!! I mean come on, there is a seton and it won't close and it's a hole, and that a lone means it is a problem. ONce the seton is out then and ony then will I know it will heal altogether. But I think they won't even touch me unless I am taking these drugs. I am thinking about actually lying to them and telling them "yes" I take the drugs you are giving me. I mean I have no crohn symptoms. But they say "that doesn't matter, you have a disease!!!"
04-08-2011, 02:41 AM   #104
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
Well, with a couple of blip days, I've been pretty much sticking to SCD eating, but I have been feeling pretty tired.I bumped into the lady who was my smoking cessation counsellor who is also the diabetic counsellor and was chatting with her about it. She was a bit concerned about the lack of carbs, but maybe I didn't explain the diet that well to her.
I think I'm going to see if I can get an appointment with a dietician here to make sure I'm replacing the potatoes, bread etc with things that will give me the necessary 'good carb' intake.
04-08-2011, 08:51 PM   #105
hope4

Grumbletum,

We must take our SCD multi-vitamins also ( after intro-diet - I believe) and eating veggies and fruit and honey do provide us carbs, just not like what we are used to. I thought removing so many carbs would be bad fir my health but so far I am looking like I was when I first got married, 15 years ago and my blood tests show that everything is functioning normally. I have lots of energy more than before. The only negative thing that happened to me on this diet is that because I was over weight and lost all that bad fat it happened too soon to fast. So I passes some very tiny kidney stones a few times and then my hair was falling out a lot. That all stopped. Back to normal and not losing anymore weight. I am staying consistent in my weight now.
04-09-2011, 03:05 AM   #106
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
Thanks, Hope, I think you are right. I'm not taking any vitamin supplements at the moment just cod liver oil caps ( when I remember to take them!. ) I think I might be needing some B12. I've broken out with annoying sore bits at the corners of my mouth and nose and I read somewhere on the forum that this is probably due to B12 deficiency and/or a build up of candida.
The manifestations of this disease never cease to amaze me!
04-09-2011, 09:20 AM   #107
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Hope, that's great to hear as I need to lose quite a bit of weight too. Well, the hair falling out and kidney stones don't sound good but the weight loss does.

Um, has your hair grown back??
04-09-2011, 05:29 PM   #108
hope4

Yes, my hair is growing back. I noticed it immediately as it fell off more hair coming through. I lost 65lbs and I was fat before. Now I am not fat and not too skinny either. I can wear anything now! I needed to lose that weight.
04-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #109
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Very encouraging, Hope. I'm glad to hear your hair grew back also.

I've yet to restart the diet. I've been going back and forth but am leaning towards fully committing. For me, the pros so far outweigh the cons that there's really nothing to think about. My main issue is not ever being able to eat out like I like. But I've been thinking about that perspective and thinking "never" is a pretty intimidating word. If deciding I can eat out 4 times a year (after being on the diet long enough) and making wise menu choices gets me to the point of being okay with the diet then I'm comfortable with that.

And the things I'll be able to eat...all the things I miss terribly....are many more than the two things I'm hung up on (pasta and rice). Hummus, salads, veggies...gosh, I miss that stuff.

And losing all this extra weight wouldn't be too hard on me either.
04-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #110
Katiejohnsonwriter

I haven't noticed any problems with the carbs. I run every day so I make sure I have an orange or banana before I head out. I track all of my calories on Loseit! a free online site. It keeps track of my carbs as well as the other nutrients. I try to keep it at around 100 or so carbs, which isn't hard. I get them in the form of veggies and fruits and find I feel enormously better now that I'm not eating mass amounts of carbs. In my humble opinion, you can never go wrong by eating your carbs in only veggies, fruits, honey and the things we're allowed. Even being super active, I never feel a lack of energy from not eating a lot of carbs via potatoes, grains, etc.
04-12-2011, 02:58 AM   #111
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
I'll have a look at that site Katie. I think I need to monitor my carb intake. I might just be tired cos I think I'm having a bit of a flare at the moment and fighting the pain makes me tired. I don't like popping too many paracetamol, but just have to sometimes to function.
P.S. How was your break?
04-12-2011, 07:43 AM   #112
Katiejohnsonwriter

Grumbletum,
It was awesome! We worked 4-5 hours a day on the fence posts and got in over 1/3 of the fencing for the 5 acres. We bought a 12x26' cabin with a loft that's being built right now and will be delivered in a month. When we go back to set it up, we hope to get another huge chunk of the fence in. Gearing toward selling our house here in Albuquerque and moving out to the "farm" in a year +. I'm sad we had to leave. Patience is HARD for me. Can't wait to be out there permanently.
04-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #113
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
That sounds beautiful, Katie. Edited to say I checked out your blog too and it IS beautiful. I love how open and remote it is.

Last edited by partlycloudy; 04-13-2011 at 01:52 PM.
04-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #114
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
It does indeed, and I had a look on your blog. Very exciting and looks like a real 'away from it all' kinda place :-)
04-13-2011, 07:39 PM   #115
alicat

So, those of you who have gone through intro, what was that period like. I am on day 3 and alternating between starving and painfully full in a matter of 10 or 15 minutes. Also just really constipated-I haven't had a BM since I started. And staying away from all the other food in my house is proving nearly impossible. Was your experience similar?
04-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #116
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Mine wasn't but only because I was really sick with a virus at the time. I had no appetite and felt so bad from the virus that I never really noticed any Intro symptoms besides a headache. I wasn't constipated but my diarrhea got quite a bit better. I've read constipation is sometimes a problem on the intro but don't remember what to do about it.

I hope you feel better soon.
04-13-2011, 08:10 PM   #117
Katiejohnsonwriter

Mine was really easy but for a headache from no coffee. I was never hungry or overfull but I'm used to eating pretty high fiber. If you aren't I'm thinking it could be hard on your system. Everyone is different though. I log all my calories on a phone app so if I have problems I can look back and be reminded of what I ate. Maybe try that?
04-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #118
bubbasmi

I've been on the Specific Carb Diet for about a week now - I haven't made my own yogurt yet, but a yogurt maker is being delivered soon! I have been eating good quality plain yogurt with fruit, sugar-free dried fruit, honey and some nuts. I've been baking my own almond flour sandwich buns, banana bread, and have been eating a lot of eggs with allowable cheeses and cooked vegetables, as well as spaghetti squash with vegetables and parmesan.

But I'm feeling just awful. Right before the diet I had been taking quite a lot of probiotics and started having diarrhea, so I backed off on the probiotics in fear that the probiotics were causing it. I then started the diet, still experiencing diarrhea, and I just started feeling more and more bloated and really tired, with no energy. Yesterday I started seeing a bit of blood again (whereas I hadn't seen any blood in months), and today I woke up feeling very sick. There is also a stomach flu going around here, so I'm wondering if the blood, and nausea/weakness I'm experiencing today is the flu, but I'm not sure.

I had been continuing with the diet despite these symptoms because I had been wondering if what was happening were the "die-off" symptoms - but now I'm not so sure!

I'm wondering, also, if maybe eating so many rough and diarrhea-causing foods such as fruit and nuts might be making things worse at the moment and that the reason I'm so tired is because I'm not absorbing much of it, either.

Has anyone else experienced symptoms similar to mine in the first couple weeks of the diet?

Diagnosed with Crohn's Disease in 2003. Currently on 25mg oral Methotrexate per week. Taking vitamin D, calcium, folic acid, fish oil, some probiotics.
04-19-2011, 07:55 PM   #119
hope4

You really need to start with only the INTRO Diet. You did read the book, right? for the first week, if you have already start out slow. Introduce something new EACH week, not each day. For example don't eat the store bought yogurt!!! This is not part of the SCDiet. Don't eat the sugar-free dried fruit. Wait after you are feeling good for at least a couple of months before you do that. Take it easy on the almond bread. Only one meal of those a day at first and that include the banana bread, just until you have had to symptoms for a while. Eggs are okay, but try scrambled. And try to stay away from cheese until after the the intro diet, and easy on the cheese. Easy. Just a little sprinkled here and there, cooked veggies are good. Don't do Parmesan yet until you know you are doing good with the other cheeses. Make sure the cheesses don't have a lot of additives that could be starchy. These are not die-off symptoms. You should take it easy (adding one thing a week at a time) to see if anything can give you a flare.

Please take a look at this site for Common SCD Mistakes: http://www.pecanbread.com/p/how/mistakes.html

Good Luck.
04-19-2011, 09:41 PM   #120
bubbasmi

Thank you for all your advice and the link, as well.

As soon as I wrote my last post, I started to realize my problem, in that I did this far too quickly, and that at my current state, it was causing far more harm than good.

Although I have quite a few symptoms, my CD is not severe and my inflammatory levels are being controlled by Methotrexate and are thus in a high-normal range. So I was impatient and thought I was ready to transition to the diet right away.

I was wondering if any of you could give me some advice and tips for beginning? I will start the intro diet, but what should I eat after the intro diet and before I'm ready to eat fruit, vegetables and cheese?

I'm in school and going into a really intense Term right at the moment and am worried that the intro diet and after that, introducing foods slowly might not provide me enough calories and energy to get through it all... Maybe this isn't a good time to start. The time spent making food is one thing that concerns me, but I'm way more worried about not having enough energy to cook, attend school and do homework.