Share Facebook

04-19-2011, 09:47 PM   #121
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Bubbasmi, the website in the link Hope posted also has a page with stages for introducing stuff that a lot of people find helpful as a guide.

Even if your CD isn't severe and under control there is still physical damage that needs to heal. That's why it's best to introduce things slowly.

It does sound like you might do better to wait considering your upcoming stresses and time management issues.
04-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #122
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Well, fellow SCD'ers, I'm back on the intro diet today. I'm feeling pretty bad with a headache and fatigue and generally just meh. I'm thankful to not be nauseous though. I hate that.

Looking forward to this next couple of days being over with. Meh.
04-30-2011, 01:01 PM   #123
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
It's now day 6 and...I am amazed. Amazed! I got worse at first, which I found out can be normal, but once I added yogurt my D tapered off. And that yogurt...YUM.

My cramps are almost gone also. I suspect they'd be gone completely except I keep working in the yard which aggravates them. I'm still having a fraction of the pain I used to and working in the yard much, much more.

Did I mention my energy level is up? I get tired in the afternoons but I honestly thing that's blood sugar due to not eating a hearty breakfast as soon as I get up.

I just can't say enough about SCD. I'm paranoid it'll go away, all these wonderful improvements but I suppose not. I'm really in awe of this diet!
04-30-2011, 01:56 PM   #124
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
That is great news PC, and it must be such a relief for you.
I'm still sticking with the diet too, but to be honest I think I came off the intro diet too quickly. I too am almost totally pain free at the moment, but that will be due to the Pred which my GP put me on. I have my first GI consultation on May 16. Got the appointment letter about two weeks ago, and spoke to my GP as my symptoms were developing ( pain in left side as well as right, and bad lower pack pain ).
My stomach is not handling red meat very well I (probably cos of the narrowing in my bowel) and I don't like jelly, so it left me with not a lot to eat on the intro which I found quite hard. I love the yoghurt too.
Will be intersting to see if I stay symptom free once I'm off the Pred.

Previous: Prednisolone, Mesren, Omeprazole, Infliximab, Azathioprine
Current: Pentasa, Librax, Warfarin
Helen x
04-30-2011, 03:15 PM   #125
itsMeFred

As a 37 year old newbie, I just wanted to weigh in on this topic (since a Google on diet and Crohn's is what brought me to the board in the first place!)

I am almost diagnosed with Crohn's (that is, my GI guy wants to scope for certainty, but he's already pretty sure).

I've been low-carbing for about a year, with varying degrees of faithfulness. Probably about 80% on program at my best. I was doing it primarily for blood sugar control and weight loss, but an interesting thing started happening about two months ago.

I would get "the stomach flu" each time I cheated with sugars or grains. Usually about every week to ten days or so. Within a day or two of getting rid of the grains and sugar, my gut would settle back down again.
I'm a bit slow, so I never made any connections...

Two weeks ago, my "flu" had localized to what I was convinced was my appendix. I was pained, but not agonizingly so, on the right side, bloated and had had nothing but d for nearly a full week.
I wound up in the hospital for four days. I was severely dehydrated, my gut bacteria was insanely out of control, my c-reactive proteins were showing massive inflammation, and the CAT (for my supposed appendicitis) showed a very unhappy colon and ilium, as well as the thickened appendix.
They decided that doesn't look like appendicitis so much as Crohn's.
*sigh*
Appendicitis would be preferable...

So, my first thought is, OK, what should I not be eating? Since this is a disease of the digestive system, even if food doesn't cause Crohn's there's no way I can believe there aren't things that exacerbate it.

My GI guy said we're just going to worry about getting the inflammation and infections under control first (I'm still on Flagyl and prednisone) and talk diet later. Which didn't make any sense when he said it and makes less the more I think about it...

So of course the first thing I did once getting out of the hospital and their starch-based "soft" food was to go back to low carb "soft" food. Afterall, that's what had been bringing my gut back into happy-mode every other time I'd had this "attack" so I didn't even think about it that that's what I would do this time, too.

Then I started reading and researching. Same as everyone else does, I'm sure, when they get the label.
And the SCD thing kept coming up. That and Paleo.
Both are a version of low-carb...
hmmm...

Looking at the symptoms, I've probably had this for several years, at the very least. And I'm quickly coming to believe that my mostly-low-carb diet is a big part of what kept it in check for so long!

Going forward, I'm going to give a try to the SCD (since it allows simple sugars in the form of honey, grapejuice, etc.) and I'm trying to avoid artificial sweeteners. I've already ordered Breaking the Vicious Cycle, as well as one of the cookbooks from Amazon.

Anyway, I firmly believe I've already had completely unknowing success with my little version of SCD.
04-30-2011, 07:04 PM   #126
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Ahh yes, Grumbletum, the Prednisone Diet. So popular. I hope you stay symptom free after you wean off. In any case, you can always start over with SCD and go slowwwwly. I've got all those nut products (and salads, gosh I miss salads!) dangling in front of my face keeping me going. I never have found any dry curd cottage cheese locally. I've read if you make yogurt out of half-n-half it pretty much mimics the cottage cheese so I think I'll try that.

ItsMeFred, yep, I was in the ER with that "stomach flu" a couple of times. It sounds like you're well on your way to already doing SCD. If you decide to give it a go your Intro should be easy since you've already gotten so many grains out of your system. Good luck.
05-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #127
itsMeFred

An article I found in the midst of my research:
Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis by Barry Groves,PhD
(Google it. Apparently I'm not allowed to post URLs until I've made more posts...)

The gist: An Austrian physician and researcher has been treating Crohn's and UC with a low carb diet for about 40 years with great success. (Probably very similar to SCD)

So this begs the question: The SCD has a great deal of anecdotal success over the last 20 years or so. Dr. Lutz had 4 decades of clinical success with his low-carb diet (I'm guessing his last book Life Without Bread probably outlines it quite well) but this isn't standard clinical protocol?

I realize people can eventually get to the point in this disease where diet can't control it, but shouldn't this be a first-line of defense? Or, if researchers and doctors are hesitant because they're unsure of it's efficacy, shouldn't this be something that is being researched extensively??

Why does a simple starch diet seem to be the most commonly recommended??

Last edited by itsMeFred; 05-01-2011 at 10:56 AM.
05-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #128
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Your guess is as good as mine. I've heard drug companies fund a lot of the studies that get the most publicity so that'd explain a lot. A lot of people are unwilling to eat such a restricted diet, so I suspect even if docs knew about it/believed in it they'd get tired of suggesting it to a public that has been weaned for decades on a fix-it-with-a-pill philosophy. If not for the foods I'll be eating in the advanced stages I'm not so sure I could do this either.

I just watched an interesting documentary called "Food Matters" that goes into a lot of theories as to why holistic approaches are not funded, published widely, or recommended more.

I was just thinking yesterday how fortunate we are to have the internet. Imagine if you had to rely on real-time word of mouth to hear about SCD. I don't even like to think about it.
05-01-2011, 12:05 PM   #129
itsMeFred

I agree!

I can't even imagine how I would be responding if I were getting this dx 20 years ago! Thank God for the readily-available information on the 'net.

A lot of people are unwilling to eat such a restricted diet, so I suspect even if docs knew about it/believed in it they'd get tired of suggesting it to a public that has been weaned for decades on a fix-it-with-a-pill philosophy.
I wonder if this is it... Much like low-carb for weight loss. A lot of people understand that it works but they just don't want to give up their Twinkies and Coke long term.

For that matter, ironically, I've got a good friend who has been chasing a mysterious gut ailment since last fall. They scoped her but it came up inconclusive for Crohn's, but it's looking more and more like it's at least UC. She envies my fast, clear-cut label.

When I suggested she try low-carb, just to see what it could do for her, she absolutely dug in her heels. I don't get that. I eat GOOD stuff when I LC. Not Twinkies and Coke, true, but still good. (And man! If I can add honey, the options are limitless! lol)
But she absolutely refuses to consider it.

Given the choice between cutting grains, sugars, etc. and having to be on meds, with their assorted side-effects, to control pain, infections, inflammation, etc? I just don't see where there's a choice to be made, I guess. I'm going to go path-of-least-resistance for as long as possible!
05-02-2011, 01:18 AM   #130
hope4

I am with all you about this. I have spoken to two ladies with diverticulitus and one just laughed when I told her that she would have to give up grains. The other one just said it was too overwhelming for her lifestyle to eat this way.

I don't get it. I would do anything natural to get my symptoms to the point of NONE! Anything! I mean who wants an active disease? Seriously! And now even more so because I am scared to death of getting another abscess. Starchy food is not worth it! I like health much better. I hate suffering sooooo much. But i guess not everyone is the same.
05-02-2011, 01:22 AM   #131
hope4

Oh and by the way, this diet can also heal people who have acid reflux! My husband and I had it really bad before I got the Crohns, and once I started the diet the reflux went away. Starchy food, yeast, hmmm. I think that can make acid a lot worse. My husbands acid reflux went into remission too, but he doesn't have to eat SCD, but he does it with me and it helps him lose weight, but when he goes off the diet and starts binging he gains weight and gets acid reflux again. Once he goes on the SCD again, he feels better, and loses weight again.
05-02-2011, 06:19 AM   #132
Bren

I do not follow any specific diet, i basically eat what my body lets me eat. Trust your gut LOL!
I purchased "Great Taste no pain" it has some nice ideas and good advice, like eat fruit seperatley.. .. BUT.. .. i found it rather intimidating because of all the restrictions i have and the guidelines are mumbojumbo when it comes to what to eat with what.

Still look for ideas on plain simple meal ideas.

Wish you every success with your diets and will keep a peep out to see how it is going.
05-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #133
itsMeFred

The other one just said it was too overwhelming for her lifestyle to eat this way.
That's what I keep reading as an argument against both LC and SCD-- "It's too restrictive!"

Seriously?!?
A bowel resection is restrictive. A colostomy bag is restrictive.
A diet is merely an annoyance.
And that's only if you let it be.

Personally, I'm a good enough cook that I don't find it very restrictive.
(OK, so I'm not a particularly good cook. I just have a really good collection of cookbooks. lol And am too cheap not to regularly cook from scratch. )
And truly-- the joy of being able to add honey! Words can't express.
05-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #134
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
I investigated SCD about a year ago and rejected it for the same reasons as mentioned, too restrictive, can't give up my grains. I understand feeling that way. I guess we all do.

At the beginning of this year I took a turn for the worse that didn't let up unless I was on prednisone. I knew I was facing going on more powerful medication and/or regular pred bursts, so that's when I decided to give SCD a try.

I've gone down a size in jeans in a week (I'm a fat crohnie) without being hungry and having more energy than I've had since my diagnosis. I can't complain about that, let alone the fact that I'll be feeling better and better and eating more and more exciting food as I advance along. I'm an SCD zealot, lol.

I was wondering about acid reflux, Hope, as I was having problems with it and it's gone away since day one. Very interesting. I know people with the issue but I doubt they'd be interested in such a massive dietary overhaul.
05-02-2011, 09:28 AM   #135
itsMeFred

I'm an SCD zealot, lol
I'm on that road...
But I'm coming from the direction of "Paleo" since, as a low-carber before diagnosis as crohnie, that's what I first recognized it as. With a few minor variances, SCD and Paleo are virtually identical, btw.

I had already come to the very strong conclusion that the theory that the over consumption of grains in our modern societies is what causes a host of medical issues (from diabetes, to obesity to auto-immune diseases) that whether I'm officially diagnosed or not, following a "specific carb"/Paleo diet seems to be the logical thing to keep doing.
05-02-2011, 05:21 PM   #136
seaofdreams

My Support Groups:
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. I've been experimenting with the SCD and Paleo diets over the past year and have had varying results but at the moment - my symptoms are the worst they've been in a long time. I think I might turn back to a strict SCD diet and start from the beginning again to make sure I do it right. I'm pretty sure that I introduced new foods too quickly the last time and that may be the reason behind me not getting the same level of success as others.

"Never feel guilty for being sick and try to stop comparing yourself and your life to others. You're doing the best you can under the circumstances you have and you're doing great."

Diagnosed with Crohn's in August 2009
Medication: 20mg Methotrexate injection weekly
Supplements: Folic Acid|Vitamin D|B12|Iron Complex|Magnesium Complex|Calcium|
05-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #137
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
I've been using a bit from previous batches to start new ones. But reading the instructions again today it says not to do that. Does anyone know why?
05-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #138
bubbasmi

I have a question for those of you who are well versed in the ways of the SCD, if you guys don't mind!

I have been on the diet now since last Friday (April 29th), so that makes 9 or so days now. I began the day of a colonoscopy, seeing the empty bowels as a type of "clean slate" to start afresh on the diet.

The first couple of days I felt pretty good - eating the homemade chicken soup, broiled halibut with only salt & pepper, broiled chicken or broiled turkey patty with super mushy carrot. But after the first 2 days I went back to having brisk diarrhea. However, I'm not in terrible amounts of pain, just mild pain and general bloating and discomfort.

I can't find the cottage cheese anywhere - It's really irritating, because I live in a big city (Vancouver, Canada), so if anyone here is from this area and have found it, I'd love some guidance! Anyway, I introduced one banana on day 3 or 4, as well as homemade apple sauce - I think introducing both in the same day was a mistake, but as I'm at school all day on week days, it's really hard to know what to eat all day so that I don't starve. So I backed off on both of those foods and reintroduced banana a couple of days later and that seemed ok. Then I had some more apple sauce even later and again, I *think* it was ok. I also introduced boiled eggs on day 5 or 6.

I have been following the pecanbread stages since the beginning, really. So as per the stages diet, I have been slowly introducing small amounts of brick cheese like havarti and cheddar, and eating peeled, steamed zucchini.

I wasn't able to eat the yogurt until day 7 because I just didn't have time to make it until wednesday evening. Anyway, the day I tried the yogurt I felt some pain and gurgling, but much more activity that I felt may have been a good thing. And I've had the yogurt a few more times and it hasn't caused the same pain again. But it also hasn't settled my diarrhea.

I'm still having brisk diarrhea as I did before I began, and I'm becoming quite frustrated. I know I should be patient, but I'm just constantly in fear that I'm doing something wrong or that it just won't work in my case.

How often is it the case that you don't see any improvement for the first couple of weeks? Or how often do symptoms become worse before they get better?

Oh, and one more question regarding the cottage cheese. There IS a type of dry curd cottage cheese available in Vancouver by Dairyland (which is a dairy producing company here in British Columbia). In my research, I read on a message board about the cottage cheese and places to find them in Canada, that there is a dry curd cottage cheese in Vancouver that comes in large, blue and white tubs, which is the exact description of the cottage cheese that I have found. However, on the label, under Sugar it says "Sugar 2g", which I understand it NOT SCD legal, right? Legal cottage cheese should say Sugar 0g on the label, yes? I've been quite confused about the conflicting things I've read and was hoping for some clarification.

Thank you in advance for your responses! i'm sorry this is such a long message!
05-09-2011, 04:45 AM   #139
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
Hey there
Might be that you are introducing the yoghurt too early? I believe you should be symptom free before you start taking it. I found, ironically, for the first couple of weeks that I had D which wasn't a major symptom of mine before. But I figured that was my system clearing out all the bad stuff.
I still have it now, but only a 2 or 3 bowel movements a day so I'm not sure if it's all the fruit and veg I'm eating ( I was a real chocolate and cake fiend before ) or if it's possibly a side effect of the Pred.
Can't help you with the cheese on the Canadian front as I'm in the UK, but have you seen Katie's instructions for making your own cheese earlier on in this thread? It's really easy to do. I'm on a small island, so can't get it here either.
05-09-2011, 07:56 AM   #140
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
I've been using a bit from previous batches to start new ones. But reading the instructions again today it says not to do that. Does anyone know why?
My understanding is the fresh starter is more reliable. I'm coming up blank but was just reading about this over the weekend. I'll see if I can find it. You have the book, right? I'm sure I saw it in the book in the yogurt section.
05-09-2011, 08:16 AM   #141
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
Hi Bubbasmi,

I got worse before I got better and I was in a panic about it. But it's perfectly normal. You're doing some serious digestive housekeeping so you're going to have some symptoms beyond intro. It does make it more difficult to determine what's die-off compared to a food reaction, but you'll get better and better at understanding what your body is telling you. Today is only my two-week anniversary of starting SCD and I'm already pretty confident in reading my digestive symptoms. You might think about joining the Yahoo BTVC (Breaking the Vicious Cycle) discussion group. It's been a great source of information and encouragement for me.

I understand how discouraging it is when you don't see the dramatic results you've read about. What helps me is to concentrate on ANY improvement, no matter how small. You're in less pain, right? That's an improvement! Are you having diarrhea less often? That would be an improvement. It sounds like you're doing it right so my guess is your healing is just going slowly. Lucky you, right? It was suggested to me to get some legal s. boulardii, which is a good yeast that's supposed to help with diarrhea if it's caused by a bad yeast (candida).

Finding the cottage cheese seems to be impossible for a lot of people and you can do SCD just fine without it. I am and a lot of people have. You can order it online but it's expensive that way. As for the brand you mentioned, yes, it's illegal with all that sugar in it. The comments I've read are that the author of the book stressed it because it was an easy go-to food rather than it being necessary for the diet (she could shop in New York city!). Straining the yogurt for several hours or overnight will give it a milder flavor and firmer texture similar to the cottage cheese.

Take care!
05-09-2011, 08:23 AM   #142
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
I wonder if it's our overuse of antibiotics here because grains are the main food source for millions all over the world where, ironically, IBD is unheard of.

Or our over consumption of sugar in all it's forms. ??

Either way, like you, I'm doing so much better on this type of eating that I have no plans to stop. Maybe the rest of the world can handle grains. My bowels can't!

I had already come to the very strong conclusion that the theory that the over consumption of grains in our modern societies is what causes a host of medical issues (from diabetes, to obesity to auto-immune diseases) that whether I'm officially diagnosed or not, following a "specific carb"/Paleo diet seems to be the logical thing to keep doing.
05-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #143
itsMeFred

I can't speak to others, but I seriously doubt antibiotics had anything whatsoever to do with my Crohn's. I have only used antibiotics a handful of times in my lifetime and none at all in about 10 years... To the population in general? Possibly...
And there is also the overuse of antibiotics in our food supply.

And we do know some things are inflammatory to the human system. Glucose or insulin (I can't remember which off the top of my head) is one. Ie, too much starch/sugar means too much glucose/insulin in the body.
Not to mention the fact that sugars and starches feed the gut bacteria as discussed in BTVC.
Another is lineoleic acid (most of the vegetable and seed oils except olive oil are extremely high in lineoleic acid).

You're right, though. There are populations who exist almost exclusively on "cheap" grains. But then the question becomes one of quantity... Of course, this is speculation.
Lower diagnoses might also have a lot to do with quality of available healthcare.

Definitely something worthy of more research...
05-10-2011, 11:32 AM   #144
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
I'm pretty sure IBD is unheard of for the most part in Japan and I know they have good healthcare (in the large cities). On the other hand, they also don't overeat like we do so maybe that's the difference.

Personally I'm suspicious of something in my past. Over a decade ago it was discovered during a surgery that I had a section of my colon constricted almost shut with an endometriosis nodule. Who knows how long it had been there, and I'm picturing all that food backed all the way up in my intestines, fermenting, wreaking toxic havoc on my system, and bacteria overgrowing by the gazillions. Throw just one dose of antibiotics into that environment and it's a recipe for disaster. Yikes.
05-11-2011, 01:51 AM   #145
hope4

It is probably the yogurt for sure. I did that same thing. At first I seemed to get better until I added the yogurt. Once I stopped it I got better. Now after a year I may add very little yogurt in a smootie or baked item but only a little and only once a month. I don't even do the dry curd cheese either. A kooky Harvarti or cheddar yes. But if I were u I woul not have cheese until u have formed stool no more than 2 bowel movements a day. I believe you will get there. Have faith in this diet, learn from your mistakes. I realize it's hard to snack during this initial stage and being in school or at a job. Maybe u can bring a cool lunch box with scrambled egg, boil eggs, or boiled egg Whites? If u are able to handle a ripe banana withou the big D then that's good too. Even Coles broiled chicken too. It's too hard on this diet if ur hungry so the key is - stay full- even if u eat cold meat from a lunch pail. I bring food with me everywhere I go cause I can't stand being hungry. Good luck and be positive it helps. I am so grateful to have found this diet.
05-16-2011, 11:04 AM   #146
David30005

My Support Groups:
I have been doing SCD for about 1 year. I did it 98% for the first 6 months and had little or no results. I have been doing it 100% since then and have gone into full remmission. Oh, and I have Crohn's at a 6 level out of 10, 10 being hte worst.
I believe in this diet 100%.
I can see so many questions and wrong advice going around on this thread that I do not even know where to start.
The first thing is that I see people after a few days talking about almond flour. After a year even though I feel great I only eat cashew butter and cerrtainly no flour.
I learned the hard way slower is way better. I eat stage 3 and some stage 4 foods. I might be able to eat more stage 4 foods, but I feel so great I am still scared to try too much to fast. So 1st thing I would recommend is slow down,
It took me 6 months to figure out the small things I was doing wrong, like taking melatonin. I had little results in this 6 months, in fact at one point when I was in so much pain I thought I was going to end up in the hospital, I thought I would dump it. But some folks encouraged me to look at every little thing I was putting in my mouth and I did find some illegals. I am so happy I stuck with it. If it is not working I suggest really looking at every little thing. Do not dump the diet, as I said I was on it what I believed for 6 months with no results. Now you could not take this away from me with a gun.
DCCC must have 0 carbs. If it has carbs it is illegal.
You can not make DCCC as referenced above. We need to cook the milk for 24 hours to get the lactose out. The recipe above is illegal. If you can not find DCCC then you can drip scd yogurt.
Do not try to do this diet without buying BTVC. This is the one source of information you can trust. I have read the book I bet 6 times to ensure I am missing nothing.
Use a yogurt starter, the yogurt will be stonger. There are many options. I use GI Pro Start. It makes a great tasting product. Others love Yogourmet (they make two kinds, get the correct kind).
Yogurt makers can over heat yogurt, plug the yogurt maker into a llight dimmer and control the temp that way.

Anyways, these are just a few responses to somes of the questions. I hope I can help and learn
Dave
05-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #147
David30005

My Support Groups:
Hey Nicki
Been there done that on the "do over".
It worked for me and I hope it works for you. One thing that helped was to take the attitude that every thing is illegal unless I know for sure it is legal.
I ate organic dried cranberries cause they had ot be legal. NOt and I was sick for a week. Melatonin, 100% has ot be legal, not! Stopped and felt better right away.

The other big break through for me was going low carb. I read Life Without Bread which makes the low carb argument. As soon as I went low carb I started to feel better.

That is one reason why in this thread I see the discussion of baked goods and the diet not working and I am thinking perhaps it is to do with the carbs.

Best of Luck
dave
05-16-2011, 11:51 AM   #148
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
David, congratulations on your remission. I'm entering week 3 and seeing improvement but it's off and on. I'm forging ahead and have decided to give it 3 months instead of the single month BTVC recommends. Maybe I've misinterpreted it, but the book seems to imply diarrhea should be gone for the most part after the intro and at least by the end of the month, but that's definitely not been my experience. Also, it's hard to tell if an introduced food is an issue if you're having diarrhea off and on to begin with. It's confusing so I'm doing some tweaking.

Anyway, I picked up some Yogourmet but didn't know there was an incorrect kind. Can you tell me what the difference is so I can see if I have the correct one? Mine doesn't have bifidus if that helps.

Thanks also for attempting to correct the misinformation in this thread. I didn't feel comfortable doing so since I'm so new to this whole thing and didn't want to further confuse things.
05-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #149
David30005

My Support Groups:
Hi Partly
Thanks for the congrats. 8 months ago I has such a mess I could literally barely walk. As well as the CD mess I also had periferal nuropothy (drop foot). Last weekend I completed a 100k bike ride and felt great doingin it and after. This diet has changed my life.

The SCD yougourmet has 3 strains. The no good has more. lucy's kitchen sells the good stuff. Make sure yours is the same as that which is being sold there.

I was up and down for the first 6 months. You can expect both an inital and 30, 90 and 1 year die off. I had the intial, 30 and 90 day die off pretty bad. but no one year. I truly believe this diet can help even more folks but they give up too early.

hang in there, and be very careful with 100% of everything that you put in your mouth.

Look at all your meds, be careful with toothpaste. Eat 100% nothing out of a can.

make sure you are not getting cross contaminated from non SCD cooking surfaces, do not eat out....

It was these things that did me in for the first 6 months. That and the odd "cheat". Hey I am not that sick, so 98% should be more than good enough, right? Not for me, only 100% works for me and that is what the book says.
Dave
05-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #150
David30005

My Support Groups:
Bubbasmi - DCCC in Vancouver Canada

Dry Curd Cottage Cheese http://uclbs.org/resources/dairy.phpWestern Creamery Brand Pressed Dry Cottage Cheese (0.1% MF) It comes in a white square vacuum pack with blue and brown lettering and a circle logo. Packages are 500 grams. Visit their website, http://www.westerncreamery.com/, for pictures of the packages and more information.
M-C Pressed Cottage Cheese (0.1%). White Square vacuum package with blue lettering and a circle logo. Packages are 500 grams.

Both can be found at Loblaws (including those in Whitby and Oshawa), Highland Farms, A & P, Dominion. Don't buy the creamed pressed cottage cheese as it is not SCD legal.

Dave