Share Facebook

03-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #241
goofyrn2

My Support Groups:
Has anyone else had problems with low ferrin levels? Mine is down to 7 and they are talking about giving me iron infusions.
03-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #242
bomber

my iron is also at 7 and I just had 5 iron infusions. I am now on an iron supplument to try and get it up. My hemoglobin was down to 65 and that is what started all this. had blood transfusion and than the iron infusion. Good luck!!
03-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #243
goofyrn2

My Support Groups:
Thanks for letting me know. I wasn't sure I wanted an infusion or not but that helps to remove some of my anxiety...lol...as if I haven't had enough infusions of everything else...lol
03-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #244
bomber

Super to hear this diet works for you. I love it as well. It definitely has made a difference. Portion control is a must. Some days I eat my meal in stages...I eat the protein first, wait about 30 minutes and then eat the rest. I have found too it keeps my cravings down for those things I would love to have and can't. Now when I see folks eating pizza and etc who don't have problems, I don't get any craving. Thanks for letting me know. Its easy to make your own recipes once you have been on the diet.
that is good to know, I am finding that I still have those cravings when I see them. I have two small children who do still eat that stuff and somedays when I am feeling really good I really want to have some. I will have to try the stages and see if that helps for me as well. Thanks
03-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #245
Tantija

Hi everyone!

I started the diet in the beginning of December 2011. My CRP was 21 and I was pushed by doctors to start immunosuppression medication what I did not want to because of the side effects. After 3 weeks my CRP was <5 and still the same. It was a nice surprise!
Unfortunately I still could not tolerate any milk products except butter. I tried even 48 hours fermenting of goat milk yogurt but unfortunately it did not work also. So I have to make yogurt from the nut milk at the moment what I do myself from the grounded nuts. I do not want to eat much nut yogurt, just a table spoon of “soft cheese” made from this yogurt, as I bake bread from grounded nuts and eat nuts as a snack. I do not have diarrhoea most of the time. I am very much impressed as I had it for 14 years. I do still have it rare but probably because I not aware of the ingredients. For example I cannot eat sundried California raisins even it says that nothing is added so I believe it has something what I could not tolerate. I was dark chocolate addicted and surprisingly I do not miss chocolate so much but bread. All gluten-free bread has starch in it so it is not suitable for us. I cook “jam” from the apples, berries and honey to have something sweet. I did bake cookies from the nut flour in the beginning but now I only bake bread. I buy my nut flour from this company http://www.naturalchoice.co.uk/
08-05-2012, 06:20 PM   #246
723crossroads
Banned

My Support Groups:
Cindy

So I figured it out. I was started on an antibiotic for crohn's that I need to eat a lot with to take it. That was causing all my problems. The diet was very difficult for me to stay full on because there was so many restrictions. So while I'm on meds I'm off the diet, maybe to revisit it later. I've read the book you are speaking of, “The Specific Carb Diet.” I have a friend who has a very severe case of crohn's and she says it worked wonders for her. I could hang with cutting out lactose and all sugars; it was cutting out carbs that really threw me. Good luck, it's very difficult but if it helps it's worth it.
I cut out all sugar and white flour carbs. I eat brown rice pasta etc.... I lost 11 lbs in a month which is good. I needed too. I am taking probiotic multi enzyme formula everytime I eat a meal and it has worked for me. Yesterday and today with no meds, I didn't have any diarrehea. I also drink a small glass of organic aloe vera juice -inner gel only. Earthbound brand from Walmart. It gives you amino acids you are lacking.I may beat this thing yet. Just use stevia as a sweetener, no alcohol, no caffiene. No premade box meals etc... Eat natural whole foods. Love, Teresa

Last edited by 723crossroads; 08-05-2012 at 06:21 PM. Reason: spelling
08-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #247
Tantija

Hi guys I can see you doing quite well. I am very well myself. Still on the diet ( from December 2011). My blood results are absolutely fine, even my doctor asked whose blood I bring for the tests I just done MRI on 3.08 but will know resulsts on 24.09 when see the doctor next time. I am envy that you can eat yogurt from the milk and cheese, i do main yougurt from the almonds milk what i do also muself. I have to say that i put quite on weight with this high in calories diet as i eat quite a lot of honey and nuts. 68kg is definatelly way too much have to be at least 66

My best wishes to all of you!
08-06-2012, 08:21 AM   #248
723crossroads
Banned

My Support Groups:
Hi guys I can see you doing quite well. I am very well myself. Still on the diet ( from December 2011). My blood results are absolutely fine, even my doctor asked whose blood I bring for the tests I just done MRI on 3.08 but will know resulsts on 24.09 when see the doctor next time. I am envy that you can eat yogurt from the milk and cheese, i do main yougurt from the almonds milk what i do also muself. I have to say that i put quite on weight with this high in calories diet as i eat quite a lot of honey and nuts. 68kg is definatelly way too much have to be at least 66

My best wishes to all of you!
Honey is just like eating sugar and makes you gain weight.
Use stevia sweetener. It doesn't raise your blood sugar at all.
08-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #249
Boloby

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
Stevia's not allowed on the SCD.

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...detail/stevia/
08-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #250
723crossroads
Banned

My Support Groups:
Why is stevia not allowed? It is the safest sweetener out there I thought? No
chemicals etc... Please reply. Teresa
08-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #251
KatyBuckeye

Why is stevia not allowed? It is the safest sweetener out there I thought? No
chemicals etc... Please reply. Teresa
Read the link that the above poster referred to: http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...detail/stevia/

Elaine, the author of Breaking the Vicious Cycle, classified stevia as SCD illegal because of the similiarity of the molecule structure to a steroid (which may have unknown physiological effects) and because of lack of safety data. My opinion is that honey, not stevia, is the safety sweetner available. Although the stevia leaf is an herb, most stevia that you can find in stores has been processed in some way and may contain other additives. Also, the extraction process may involve chemicals or additives.

**Check out my blog at http://www.thepaleonurse.com/blog

**Like my facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/PaleoNurse
08-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #252
723crossroads
Banned

My Support Groups:
Read the link that the above poster referred to: http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...detail/stevia/

Elaine, the author of Breaking the Vicious Cycle, classified stevia as SCD illegal because of the similiarity of the molecule structure to a steroid (which may have unknown physiological effects) and because of lack of safety data. My opinion is that honey, not stevia, is the safety sweetner available. Although the stevia leaf is an herb, most stevia that you can find in stores has been processed in some way and may contain other additives. Also, the extraction process may involve chemicals or additives.
I will Katie buckeye,
Thanx for the info. I do love natural honey, so I guess i'm back to it now.
Teresa
08-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #253
skjk3318
Banned

Thanks for sharing!
08-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #254
Mattannika

Hi there.
So, I am currently still on medication: Prednisone and Apriso, just started tapering from 40mg of pred for 2 weeks, now on 30mg/ day. I also just stopped a liquid diet and started the SCD Diet. The first two days now. I feel pretty good on it and hope I am doing everything correct. I've read some posts that you shouldn't start this diet while on meds and I have to be honest, I never thought about that. It didn't enter my brain that the meds might interfere with this diet? (I'll blame that on the prednisone, it makes me scatter brained) I didn't see anything on that in the BTVC book, so I assume it's all good...
BTW. If you have a Whole Foods near you, they usually carry the Dry Curd Cottage Cheese or if they don't you can ask them, they can order it for you :-)
10-09-2012, 03:03 AM   #255
Tantija

Hi guys! Tried to make yogurt from the lactose free milk and love it. But now I am in doubts.
Elaine book says: “…The rate of flow of galactose to the liver when one drinks lactose hydrolyzed milk is high. With lactose hydrolyzed milk, you are ingesting the two sugars: glucose and galactose at the same time….” And so it’s prohibited on SCD.
It says about drinking lactose free milk but I could not find any information if can you make yogurt from lactose free milk. I tried to make yogurt from the cow and goat milk even fermenting it for 24-48 hours but still had the reaction like from lactose. So I ended up making my yogurt from almonds milk what I was doing also myself. But with the yogurt from lactose free milk I do not have any reaction.
Can anybody help me, please?

Thank you.
10-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #256
KatyBuckeye

Hi guys! Tried to make yogurt from the lactose free milk and love it. But now I am in doubts.
Elaine book says: “…The rate of flow of galactose to the liver when one drinks lactose hydrolyzed milk is high. With lactose hydrolyzed milk, you are ingesting the two sugars: glucose and galactose at the same time….” And so it’s prohibited on SCD.
It says about drinking lactose free milk but I could not find any information if can you make yogurt from lactose free milk. I tried to make yogurt from the cow and goat milk even fermenting it for 24-48 hours but still had the reaction like from lactose. So I ended up making my yogurt from almonds milk what I was doing also myself. But with the yogurt from lactose free milk I do not have any reaction.
Can anybody help me, please?

Thank you.
What are you using to make the fermented yogurt? A problem could be that you aren't fermenting at exactly the right temperature, in which case all of the lactose may not be digested by the bacteria. If the temperature is too high, the bacteria can be killed off, too low and the right reactions won't happen. Do you have a Yogourmet? The reviews on that yogurt-maker say that the temperature does go too high. Many people buy a dimming switch (you can get it at a hardware store), so that they can lower the temperature.
10-14-2012, 04:02 AM   #257
Tantija

Thanks!
I did bought the switch from Amazon but it did not arrived yet. Yes, you probably right as temperature over night goes to 47C. Will try with the switch again.
10-16-2012, 08:53 AM   #258
tzvia
Forum Monitor

I want to try the SCD diet, as it seems so helpful for so many and the theory makes a lot of sense.

My only concern is this: With Crohn's, I have noticed that taking a fiber supplement had helped me in the bathroom greatly. I take either psyllium husks or acacia powder almost everyday and they help me have regular, formed BM's. Well, both psyllium and acacia are "illegal" on SCD because the contains starch.

My question is this: Fiber is not digested by the body. Fiber is undigestable by nature. So why is it illegal on SCD? The body does break it down, it just passes through, so why does it matter if there is starch in it?

I hope someone can help me out with this!

Current meds: Entocort, Questran
Past meds: Prednisone, Humira

10-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #259
723crossroads
Banned

My Support Groups:
I want to try the SCD diet, as it seems so helpful for so many and the theory makes a lot of sense.

My only concern is this: With Crohn's, I have noticed that taking a fiber supplement had helped me in the bathroom greatly. I take either psyllium husks or acacia powder almost everyday and they help me have regular, formed BM's. Well, both psyllium and acacia are "illegal" on SCD because the contains starch.

My question is this: Fiber is not digested by the body. Fiber is undigestable by nature. So why is it illegal on SCD? The body does break it down, it just passes through, so why does it matter if there is starch in it?

I hope someone can help me out with this!
I don't think it would hurt but it may still cause problems. Have you tried citrical? It's not made from husks. You can get the store barnd and get the sugarfree. It works just as well.
10-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #260
tzvia
Forum Monitor

My question is about honey and SCD. From the research I've done online today, it seems that honey is a disaccharide. Why is it SCD legal if it is not a monosaccharide?
10-17-2012, 12:52 AM   #261
Tantija

Hi! Honey contains two monosaccharides: fructose and glucose but this does not make honey disacharide. Could you send a link to that article, please?
10-17-2012, 07:06 AM   #262
tzvia
Forum Monitor

Here is some info saying that honey contains disaccharides:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/50...eeter-sucrose/
http://www.wisegeekhealth.com/what-f...accharides.htm
10-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #263
Tantija

It refers about small percentage of disaccharides in honey.
11-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #264
Mattannika

SCD didn't work for me, unfrotunately. I did not find it all taht difficult to stick too, once you get the hang of it it's not bad really. But it was confusing... Was on it very strict for 3 months. Just met with a Dietician that works with lots of IBS and IBD patients. Now I am customizing the SCD with cutting out all Salicylates and Amines...hoping that might help releave my symptoms somewhat, then plan on transfering over to elimination diet, testing out one food at a time.
11-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #265
tzvia
Forum Monitor

Mattannika, what are Salicylates and Amines? I've been doing a combo of SCD and GAPS for the last month and so far, so good!
11-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #266
Mattannika

I'm not even going to try and explain in my own words....here's a wesbite that explains it really good and has good information:

http://salicylatesensitivity.com/info1/

Salicylates are chemicals that occur naturally in many plants, including many fruits vegetables, and herbs. Salicylates in plants act as a natural immune hormone and preservative, protecting the plants against diseases, insects, fungi, and harmful bacteria. Salicylates are also created synthetically and can be found in many medicines, perfumes and preservatives.

There is a page with symptoms, if you hvae a lot of those, you might want to stay away from foods that are high in them and see if after 2 weeks without them you feel better. That's what I was told. There is also some info on amines. HOpe that helps :-)
12-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #267
believeinbeingwell

OK - I have what to say about this diet. I have been on it and yes, the pain I have lessens, but I feel so weak that it presents another problem. It is a full time job, especially in the beginning, to cook food for yourself. I too, like Leslie, am working and find it impossible to be organized enough to manage the food prep, and working. Also I get hungry at work and they sell sandwiches there (bread is a big NO NO on the SCD) which are so convenient. Any other thoughts on this diet?
12-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #268
believeinbeingwell

I've started the Specific Carb Diet five days ago. I've known people who had great results with it and no longer have flare ups. Is anyone trying it? My trigger foods tend to be high fiber which makes me question the sanity of all this. I've felt very sick the last two days and my gut is going crazy. However, looking around on the internet this would be considered a "die off" period where the bad bacteria are being staved out. Anyone been there?
Hi Leslie - I so relate to your post. I too, am working and have realized that I cannot do this diet while working. It is too hard to be organized enough for one, and also I find that I need the energy from carbs if I am a working mom. It is one thing to be able to be home and rest when needed (especially in the beginning of the diet when one feels weak) but I cannnot do that. I do find though, that being at work puts me in a good frame of mind, which is also important to recovery. What do you think?
12-04-2012, 01:47 AM   #269
Tantija

Hi! I am full time working person. I am on this diet already 1 year. I bake nut bread, I make SCD yogurt, I cook "jam" and cook lunch to take to work. But I am not a mom. So it's easier for me
12-04-2012, 04:31 AM   #270
believeinbeingwell

Hi! I am full time working person. I am on this diet already 1 year. I bake nut bread, I make SCD yogurt, I cook "jam" and cook lunch to take to work. But I am not a mom. So it's easier for me
Yes, Tantija. It really does make a difference. I always have the dilemma - do I cook for myself or my family? I can't make my kids eat the way I do and I have to feed them. Also, when I get back from work I am busy with them from the word 'go'.

Still, good for you. It's not easy working full time and doing all you need to for your health. Keep it up, and I'll try work out a plan too.