• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Open surgury versus lapro, non invasive

open surgury versus lapro, non invasive

i just have a question for those who have had surgury for sbo, i realize that lapro surgury is the much better option according to mayo clinic and other top facilities.i am just wondering what the option is when you are in the hospitol. i realized after the fact, that they did a open procedure, where they might have done otherwise. of couse the surgeon does not say much. just curious about other members experiences. i realize with open, more scarring , adhesions, greater morbidt, etc. how do you tell a surgeon that you insist on lapro?. just curious if any of you guys experienced this. thanx and be well

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
Well, my surgery is scheduled for June. My surgeon told me that she always tries for laproscopic surgery, however if there are complications they would need to open me up.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi there I have had both. My first one was Lapro and that is the initial hope they can all go that way and is so less invasive. Some can start out that way but no guarantee they wont open you up. Depends on where is the problem, how bad and it is contained on one area. So really you can maybe talk to you doctor and ask if it is contained and or can they start out lapro? You may not have a choice but if surgery is needed and is a mess in there, you will be better in the long run. Sorry this is not what you want to hear. My first lapro lasted 7 years but then usually once they do lapro most likely following ones are not. When is ths surgery? Good luck.

My colectomy's on Friday, and I insisted that I was refered to a colorectal surgeon that could do both Lapro and open. The plan is to undergo the procedure laprascopicaly, but as Vonfunk has mentioned- if needs be, they will open me up to do it.

thanx guys, thats what i figured

but i was not really sure, ty for your help and good luck with your conditions, stay well

Hi there I have had both. My first one was Lapro and that is the initial hope they can all go that way and is so less invasive. Some can start out that way but no guarantee they wont open you up. Depends on where is the problem, how bad and it is contained on one area. So really you can maybe talk to you doctor and ask if it is contained and or can they start out lapro? You may not have a choice but if surgery is needed and is a mess in there, you will be better in the long run. Sorry this is not what you want to hear. My first lapro lasted 7 years but then usually once they do lapro most likely following ones are not. When is ths surgery? Good luck.
oh, i had one already, but the way the chrones presents itself in the terminal illeum, i will probobly have one more. almost had my second in dec last year, but it cleared out. my crohns is odd, only symptom is mild cramping, but its in a bad spot and presents itself in small blockages. it would help if i went on 6 mp or a biologic, but i feel ok so i just eat a prison camp diet, lol, drink ensure and hope for the best. hope your doing well and thx

Well, my surgery is scheduled for June. My surgeon told me that she always tries for laproscopic surgery, however if there are complications they would need to open me up.
thanx, von and good luck with your operation. i was in for a week. the hard part is the recovery, but it was not that bad. at least the morphine was great. peace

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey maxibear,

When Matt saw the colorectal surgeon a couple of weeks ago he said he would like to do his surgery laparoscopically but he didn't think it would be possible. So he obviously has a feeling, based on what he already knows, that it's not going to be successful. He will start out that way though.

Good luck with your recovery and I hope all continues to go well.

Take care, :)
Dusty

Terriernut

They apparently tried to lapro me, but had to open me up due to the fallopian fistula. I WISH it had been just lapro! So many more complications with opening you up. If I had had the choice...oh well.

Misty

Terriernut

Oh...I forgot to add....look out for gas after lapro! I belched enough to melt the walls for the first couple of days!! It was fun!!! Teeeehheee!
Misty

Crohn's Mom

My daughter is scheduled for surgery next week. When we asked the surgeon which he would be doing, he said he will try laproscopy; however, he explained that a "normal" bowel is soft and squishy and easily removed through a tiny hole. A diseased bowel, that has scar tissue built up on it is more like a rock. The bigger the "rock" the harder it is to do laproscopy. So he will try laproscopy first and if he can't get the "rock" through the little hole then he will have to resort to open; but he said it will try his best to keep the incision as small as possible.
Hope this helps...that is how he explained it to us in "people" terms LOL.
Best of luck to you :)

Terriernut

Crohn's Mom, my surgeon said the same. She also said trying reattach diseased bowel was extremely difficult, because it 'crumbled'. Literally fell apart. She wasnt the one who operated on me (23rd of Dec 2010), guess she didnt want any part of it!! (cant blame her!)
Misty