Share Facebook

09-11-2011, 05:17 AM   #31
JMC

yes i've read that there's a link between anxiety/depression and crohn's (also systemic diseases in general)

i am not on meds for anxiety but once in a while i consider it, i do notice my anxiety symptoms heighten prior to or during flare ups

i wake up suddenly at night - jump up with my heart racing feeling scared and like i forgot something and kind of in a daze, i also cry more often and get depressed and very emotional and have dark thoughts but definitely i get more edgy.
This correlates well with my experience. At the beginning of July, I woke in the middle of the night, my heart started racing immediately, I was incredibly anxious and could not get back to sleep. The following day, I felt wiped out and in a daze, barely able to stand up. Shortly afterwards, the physical symptoms of a flare up began. Now you have mentioned this, I will keep track of it in my daily diary as I think it is a good indicator.
09-12-2011, 05:03 AM   #32
Paddy Holmes

My Support Groups:
I've suffered from periods of depression for many many years, a lot to do with family issues. When the Crohns was dignosed, at times the depression gor so bad that I just wanted to go to sleep and not wake up. I have a therapist who is agreat help and has been supportive all during the diagnoses/ surgery times. I'm told the brain and bowel are linked which is why some people 'shit themselves' when extremely afraid.
Since finding this forum, my feelings are more positive. Not only can anything be discussed but also feelings which helps so much.
Thank you to you all for all your contributions which make up the forum!x
06-05-2012, 02:14 AM   #33
*Cass*

I was diagnosed with crohns a year and a half ago.

I started getting a bit of anxiety a few months ago after a few bad experiences at my job and also moving out of my parents house into the city, away from the support of my family and friends.

the anxiety became really bad about a month ago and seemed to coincide with a crohns attack. I have an intense fear and hatred of being surrounded by people which has a large impact on my life as im a student, i have to take crowded public transport, attend a large university, work at a student job eg. hospitality, retail. when i have an anxiety attack my mind seems to become clouded and the world seems dark and distorted, i feel incredibly scared and struggle to process anything thats going on around me. my heart beats fast, i struggle to breath, my throat becomes tight like someones strangling me.

It seems like i am naturally i highly anxious person but the crohns seems to exasperate my condition. when i have a bad crohns attack i begin to have panic attacks that if i dont eat i will faint or my body will go into some kind of shock. Now i get the same fear and panic attacks when i just get hungry almost every day.

I have almost no appetite with my crohns so intense feelings of faintness and starvation seem to creep up on me out of nowhere when ive forgotten to eat for hours. Following this is an extreme panic attack.

I need to find some way to regain my appetite, and convince myself im not dying when im hungry and that everyone is not out to get me!
06-05-2012, 03:21 AM   #34
Paul Cronk

My Support Groups:
HI Cass, this is not news to me. "Normally" a fairly anxious but outwardly calm rational person I become paranoid during Crohn's attacks. I feel all is against me and at times I weep hysterically and get almighty screwed up inside.

It is the Crohn's, tell yourself it is not you. Control the Crohn's and you may control all the stuff that goes with it (anxiety/back pains, nervousness, whatever). Maybe you need medication to help you cope with the anxiety in the short term during attacks but focus on whatever it takes to control the Crohn's and I think the rest may follow.

You are not alone in your anguish. We support you.
06-05-2012, 04:32 AM   #35
*Cass*

Thanks for your reply Paul D ive never been able to share any of this with anyone who could empathise before Xx
06-05-2012, 07:06 AM   #36
Paddy Holmes

My Support Groups:
Cass, I relate so much to your thread. The important thing to do when you're not hungry is to sink a smoothie. Try and make sure you've got all the appropriate supplements as well as Crohns just flushes them all away!
The forgetting to eat is fear of the repercussions I believe, and I SO relate to that. I have short bowel syndrome so everything I eat reappears 20 minutes later...I used to be a chef but my interest in food has disapeared completely. Luckily I'm married to a guy who likes to eat so I have to make a bit of an effort.
Keep posting your thoughts and fears, guarantee there's one here who understans and can help. Even the fact that we all have issues helps, I think.
06-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #37
Paul Cronk

My Support Groups:
Cass, do not be afraid to continue to share these feelings. I am a 58 year old guy who has seen a lot of stuff in my life but the Crohn's can reduce me to a wet rag in a day. Just fight it any way you can mentally, and find things to eat to keep up your strength. Many many people on this forum share these problems or equally horrible ones as a result of this.

Just had to swallow cancelling a visit to UK to see my 87 year old mum, all because the disease hit me the day before take off and no way could I travel like that. Went to bed for three days and tore up the tickets. You have to brush of the disappointments and just hang in there, do all the right things and keep your faith, whatever it may be.

We all wish you well, just as you wish it for us.

(You can tell I am still feeling emotional, can't you!)
06-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #38
Paddy Holmes

My Support Groups:
Paul Cronk, my sympathies to you. Been there done that but bed is such a comfort and home is often the best medicine. I feel secure in my own surroundings and hope that you get to see your Mum soon. Thinking of you...
It's just so great that we can all empathise with each other here...
06-06-2012, 04:01 AM   #39
*Cass*

Thanks so much for all of your support! I thought i was going crazy but it seems everyone with our condition goes through similar things. I admire your courage so much and it provides hope that someone has mentally overcome this disease. All my love XXxxx
06-12-2012, 07:51 AM   #40
mainekitty

I also suffer with anxiety, and have been on SSRIs for it a couple of times. The medication really helps me - I also think that I have low seratonin levels naturally, since these medications seem to help me so much, but I don't know why. Guess it could be Crohn's related, but I never thought so. However, when I'm sick, the anxiety is definitely worse. This seems pretty typical, from what I'm reading from everyone else.
06-12-2012, 08:06 AM   #41
Paddy Holmes

My Support Groups:
To all of us on this page I wish a weekend of sun and 'slow motions'. It's been horrendous this week, alternating between Niagra Falls and a mini blockage. I've found a way of stopping the blockage before it gets to the hospital stage; I can feel the point inside where the stoma connects to the colon. When it's approaching a blockage, my tummy goes rock hard and if I put enough pressure on it I can get things moving ( albeit slowly!)... worth trying if you have had to endure the drip and sip with the tube up your nose...
anyway, everyone is getting excited about football. olympics and summer and all I want to do is sleep. Love to us all xx
06-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #42
knowlin

I understand,

I have had many psychological problems since I got Crohns. I truly believe its from my disease and it seems to get worse the older I get. What works for me is listening to meditation music cause that relaxes me. It is really helpful when I am so stressed and I just want to cry or not wanting get out of bed. I have also missed out on a lot of different activities due to my disease and I always get worried that my family and friends think I am using it as a excuse. I use to run to relax me but my legs hurt when I run so music helps me.

Best of luck to u
09-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #43
NewRoad

I was diagnosed with Crohns last week, waiting for the 'final' results to all the tests now, I have been home for two weeks now, trying to get my strength back so I can go back to work. During the day I tell myself this is just another path of life to walk, but I can't sleep, when I finally do drop off to sleep I jolt awake in about three hours. I am exhausted and know I need to get some quality sleep.. I am taking 16 pills a day right not just to get this flare under control, I really don't want to add an anti-anxiety med, any ideas on how to shut my worries down at night? Thanks.
09-17-2012, 04:30 AM   #44
Paddy Holmes

My Support Groups:
New Road, don't push yourself too hard. If you have a sympathetic doctor, perhaps you could get some counselling. I realise that in the US you have to pay for that but honestly, a read through some of the posts here are as good as a profession and we've all been there too! Treat yourself gently and log on to this site for support and advice. Try reading before going to sleep, it helps me...
09-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #45
NewRoad

Thanks, Paddy. I talked to the doc today, he assured me that I'm going to be on an emotional roller coaster for a while, I've always been independent and healthy and the reality of this new mess is starting to sink in. I am determined to keep resting, learning all I can and staying positive. And I love to read!
09-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #46
rkoll327

I understand,

I have had many psychological problems since I got Crohns. I truly believe its from my disease and it seems to get worse the older I get. What works for me is listening to meditation music cause that relaxes me. It is really helpful when I am so stressed and I just want to cry or not wanting get out of bed. I have also missed out on a lot of different activities due to my disease and I always get worried that my family and friends think I am using it as a excuse. I use to run to relax me but my legs hurt when I run so music helps me.

Best of luck to u
I know what you are going through. I feel like I miss out on a lot, and almost always find myself worrying about people thinking that I am using it as an excuse or making it up completely (especially at work). I also get it when I am leaving my house or going out, and worry about getting sick. I just try to talk myself out of it, tell myself everything is going to be fine and not to get worked up. I also agree with the music, music helps me SO much. Classical and meditation music is great, can really take your mind off things.
09-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #47
rkoll327

I was diagnosed with Crohns last week, waiting for the 'final' results to all the tests now, I have been home for two weeks now, trying to get my strength back so I can go back to work. During the day I tell myself this is just another path of life to walk, but I can't sleep, when I finally do drop off to sleep I jolt awake in about three hours. I am exhausted and know I need to get some quality sleep.. I am taking 16 pills a day right not just to get this flare under control, I really don't want to add an anti-anxiety med, any ideas on how to shut my worries down at night? Thanks.
I know that you are taking a lot of pills and probably don't want to add another, but have you tried melatonin? When I was having trouble sleeping this helped. It helped to mellow me out/make me a little drowsy and my mind wouldn't race as much. It was a better option for me because I was trying everything I could before resorting to anti-anxiety meds/sleeping pills. Obviously check with your doctor, but it is all natural so I don't see it being an issue.

Along with that I would always read for a little until it kicked in (I saw that you like to read too!), and when I got a few chapters in that's when I would turn the music on. I normally couldn't fall asleep to music, but if it is classical or meditative it helps so I got into a routine. Time magazine said Weightless by Marconi Union was the most relaxing song in 2011, put it on loop and you'll be asleep in no time!

Hope some of that helps. Hang in there and don't push yourself. It seems daunting but you have the right attitude so far!
09-19-2012, 03:19 AM   #48
wolfem

Finally, my crohn's is in complete remission. Not sure why, but as soon as they put me on anti anxiety meds my crohn's symptoms disappeared. From my experience, crohn's may make anxiety worse or the other way around.

-Mary
Current meds: Sertraline, Seroquel, Lorazepam (as needed)

Supplements: Trace min EOD, Fish oil, calcium+D, B12 sublingual + B complex, goat yogurt

09-19-2012, 04:45 AM   #49
Paddy Holmes

My Support Groups:
New Road, if you love reading, I recommend Fannie Flagg's books. She wrote 'Fried Green Tomatoes at the whistle Stop Cafe', but all her books are so 'feelgood'. I've read and reread them over and over.For dry humour, Bill Bryson gets my vote...
Back to crohns/Anxiety, it's logical that we all get bad days/weeks and exhaustion. If your lifestyle permits it, I say go with the flow. Some nights I'm up every 20 minutes so by the morning I'm in my deepest sleep. My husband is very understanding and leaves me to sleep it off! I'm interested in the suggestion that you should take melatonin. If you can get that, it may help. I have heard that it's benificial but didn't know you could buy it.
Just another suggestion...my husband used to have to work night shifts which made my sleep pattern even worse. The only thing that helped then was to leave the radio on SO low that you can barely hear it. It somehow soothes... Take care, you've got a road to travel and we'll all be here to help if we can.
09-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #50
NewRoad

I just love Fanny Flagg! And history, right now I'm reading about the development and adventures on the Santa Fe Trail through the wild west back in the 1800's. The bathroom interruptions are very frustrating, at least now I'm home and only a few feet from the pot, out in the truck I had to get dressed and walk across the truck stop 3 and four times a night to use the bathroom. I try to take a walk every day, my neighbor has a pasture full of cows and calves right in my back yard, I got pet them and that helps me feel less anxious. Thanks for the feedback!
09-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #51
darkriftx

Anxiety was definitely a factor in the increased stress which I believe led to my Crohn's disease. The Crohn's disease seemed to bring on depression, at which point I also discovered that I suffered from a severe anxiety disorder as well and had been most of my life (they call it being overly "shy" as a child - I always called it pure torture as a child - they were not so open with the psychiatric medications / conditions in the late 80's and early 90's however).

Crohns Disease - Diagnosed December 1998
- Initially diagnosed after two peri-anal abcesses and sepsis in 1998
- Blood transfusion and surgery in 2007 - ileocolectomy with resection
Current Meds:
4 x 50 mg Azathioprine, 4 x 0.375 mg Apriso, Librax, Hyoscamine
Have taken:
Prednisone, Flagyl, Cipro, Asacol, Lialda, Entocort
09-27-2012, 11:32 AM   #52
Paddy Holmes

My Support Groups:
I think we'd be very unusual if we didn't suffer from some sort of anxiety/depression...we have an incurable illness which in some cases makes normal life impossible. I get periods when I've been to the loo SO many times, I wonder whether it's worth going on. Mostly some serious sleep helps but it would be useful if the doctors take our mental health into account as a matter of course when we are diagnosed. Crying on one's own is SO unsatisfying, so I recommend 15 minutes here for some empathic responses.
09-29-2012, 10:04 AM   #53
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi all,

I suffer extreme anxiety and get paranoid about going anywhere. I just have no idea what it is to feel normal as crohns started for me at 12 years old. Hasn't stopped yet. I'm so exhausted from the sickness and diarrhoea and this also means i have little energy to focus on anything or anyone. I feel so effin helpless at times and i really am desparing as i've achieved very little and i'm pushing 50 years old, and nothing to show for life. trouble is, the pain and the medication are just the doubled edged sword. I'm either drowsy or in pain. its so difficult and no one else can really help. doctors don't do much at all, so i live an exceptionally lonely life. I wished to god i'd married and had children despite my health, but i really wasn't well enough to take on the challenge. can't see my life changing at all either.

My God, i'm having a rant. This is definitely a mid-life crisis in the extreme. let me go take some anti-depressants and maybe i shall feel better in a bit.

I agree with 15 minutes of empathic responses. Thank god i found this site!
09-29-2012, 10:20 AM   #54
Paddy Holmes

My Support Groups:
Poor you Spooky. Your expressing what so many of us feel and I'm so sorry that you don't have a partner to share this with. Are you stuck at home or do you manange to get out? Do you have any pets? Dogs are great because they force you to get out if only for a short while.
What's your GP like, sympathetic or bored? It does make such a difference if you've got an empathetic medic...perhaps you could approach your GP for some medical help for anxiety. I have to take it or I'd never leave the house...I became seriously agoraphobic for a while but I've got to get out for our dogs!
Big hug and keep on truckin!
09-30-2012, 04:48 AM   #55
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
paddy, you're so sweet. Thanks for your words. i do take meds for depression. I have my four cats to keep me company, and i visit my niece who lives two minutes away by car. I can go to her house cos she doesn't mind if i need the loo and sit on it for ages, as we do, lol.

my gastro bloke is utterly complacent and my gp isn't bad but they don't have the cure for crohns yet. Unfortunately, my bones are also hideous with this menopause and any movement is painful. I do struggle a lot. I do wish i had people about though. I try and get out to ceramic group, which some of us from a class set up. fortunately its with a retired gp of the female kind, so she's another that doesn;t mind me on her loo for ages! however, clay work is actually too heavy for me. it needs energy, sometimes we just sit and chat. but its nice to be out. She has told us that she's moving away soon though and none of the others have a house big enough to hold a class, so that looks like its going too. never mind. I just can't see my way forwards and my house is also such a mess. oh, for some energy. I could almost do with a burst of prednisolone to get the place clean and tidy, lol

\probably i just need a holiday!

just out of interest what meds do you have for you anxiety?
09-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #56
Paddy Holmes

My Support Groups:
hiya Spooky...my 'happy meds' are VenlafaxineXL 225mg, Quetiapine25mg, and good ald Diazepam for the panic attacks! The panic attacks are usually when I'm around a lot of people and there's always the risk of a mishap...it's something that's constantly on my mind.
Your clay workshop sounds interesting...I make greeting cards; mostly for the family but a local Craft shop has recently been selling them and I'm delighted. They seem to be going well and it stops me from getting lazy. One of the things that I think is associated with anxiety is forgetting words! I feel so stupid...halfway through a sentence I have to search for the right word.Oh and there's the half way up the stairs when you wonder what your going there for...so you have to go down and start again!!! Keeep up your contact with the forum, if nothing else you're talking to people who know what you're going through...
10-17-2012, 05:05 AM   #57
Paddy Holmes

My Support Groups:
I'm here feeling all the negative vibes that hit us all from time to time. Don't want to get dressed, don't want to talk...am SO fed up with the constant visits to the loo and feel like my agaraphobia has lost me so many friends. I know this will pass but that doesn't help at the moment. Thanks for reading my whinge...
10-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #58
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Paddy, I so understand what you are saying. I sometimes think that actually its lack of energy too. I just can't physically do things that others take for granted. Although i hate to have a pity party for myself sometimes i just can't bring myself to think anything positive. I really have no one in my life apart from my cats and a niece with 6 children. its so hard sometimes i think i should just end it all or think wouldn't it be good if i got cancer. People never pop by and say hello or anything. There have been horrible family rifts in the past two years, and i'm still waiting to see if i have to go to court for naughtily saving for a camper van with loo so i can even get to hospital 45 miles away. I just can't squat by the verge any longer. I worry so much and never have anyone to share any concerns with me. I didn't even have the opportunity to tell anyone that i was being screened for cancer, i was so worried because my father had just died of the same that i was being screened for.

Its fine to whinge a bit. no one else wants to hear us. At least we all have crohns in common and even family have no idea what its like until they get the tummy bug from hell, and even then they just get over it. We don't get the opportunity to even get healthy. I have never really been in remission with this and i know what issues you have cos my mum has the same as you. I get so depressed i wish i had the courage to bump myself off. I sincerely can 't find that there will be a better day for me. I know how you feel.

hope things improve for you soon
10-18-2012, 05:25 AM   #59
Paddy Holmes

My Support Groups:
Thanks Spooky for your empathy and understanding. I used to have a counsellor/therapist with whom I could talk about anything. He was so good at his job, he's been promoted and the NHS cutbacks haven't refilled the post.
I really think I'm losing it a bit. No short term memory to speak of and unreasonable expectations of contact from my family have made me sulky.New great grand daughter ( 500 miles away) with no expectation of a cuddle for the foreseeable future makes me feel neglected. In reality i'm not it's just 'The Black Dog' visiting....
10-18-2012, 07:30 AM   #60
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Paddy, my memory is diabolical. I wonder if its caused by crohns issues. Its such a shame that you don't have a therapist any longer, but i don't have anyone to talk to either. All my concerns remain revolving around in my head with nowhere to release them. It is pretty hard, but its good knowing that i'm not the only one suffering. This site is brilliant for contact of those who understand our health, because i don't even think my gastroenterologist realises quite what crohns is like to live with.

I am awaiting twin girl great, great nieces. They will be delivered by ceasarian (sp) section next week if they don't come naturally. They only live two minutes away which is helpful, but the household is riotous with 6 kids under 18 and all their friends there. I never can cope with it for long. But at least i can get to see them. I hope you can get to see your great grand daughter via the internet at least.

try and keep cheerful. bit of sun should help, shame we have such dull weather.