Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » What is a flare up?

03-13-2007, 07:59 AM   #1
carolinajak

What is a flare up?

Pardon my ignorance, but I was wondering what this term means to everyone?

One of the problems I have (its good and bad) is that I do not have major pains/cramping/etc. to let me know when my body is hurting. I have learned since my surgeries that I have to pay a lot more attention to my body to figure out how I am dealing with the disease.

Its not necessarily a good thing, as the disease got so bad I almost died without even knowing I had it. The major symptom were so sudden. I just want to hear how everyone else defines their "flare up" so I can be more in tune with the things I am looking for in my own body.
03-13-2007, 08:39 AM   #2
Jeff D.

Pretty much a flare up is when your disease becomes active from a non-active state. Or it could even be when your disease is becoming controlled and most symptoms are gone and bam back to high dosages of prednisone.
03-13-2007, 09:27 AM   #3
carolinajak

I understand what it means. I am asking what it is to specific people. How does it manifest for each person? What symptoms are most prevalent for people?
03-13-2007, 10:18 AM   #4
TammySue62

My Support Groups:
Hi Jason
A flare-up to me is no appitite, felling nauseated(sp?) feeling like you wanna toss up your cookies,sometimes a fever is involved,you have the bad D'S and your whole body just aches.
Thats what my flare-ups are like. Right now I'm in one.
So my Dr. ups the dosage of my pred. if that does not work in a weak or so ,then he puts me on a higher dose of pred. It's called solumedrol as he explained it to me its like a cousin to pred. but at a much higher dose. This lasts for approx. 10 days. Some times longer. Then I just have to play the waiting game. Everyone and everybody is different.Some stay in a flare for quite a while, and others may go into remission in a few weeks. Your body tells you when your in a flare and when your not.
This is what I no from my body when I'm in a flare it surely tells me and when I'm in remission I feel like everyone else. Almost Normal
I hope this answers your question to some point.

HAVE HAD CROHN'S DISEASE FOR 30 YEARS AND STILL GOIN
03-13-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
Jeff D.

Sorry I was really tired and angry this morning so I did not really read what you asked. A flare for me is when I start getting costipated and my bum hurts.
03-13-2007, 03:47 PM   #6
ruthymg

A flare for me is when I am exhausted all the time, I have back ache, bloating, cramps, D or loose output, loss of appetite, weight loss, muscle aches, irritability, poor concentration, feeling really low, night sweats, nausea, hot flushes. All these things happen to me when I am flaring. I have been quite well for the last couple of months apart from picking up the odd viral infection but recently, like in the last week or so, I have felt off it. Every meal I have eaten has caused severe bloating and slowed my input right down causing major discomfort so I've been taking pain killers, I am soooo tired as well. I'm not sure whether this is because I have been really hungry (need to drink more) and I have been wolfing my food down instead of really chewing as I should. It would make sense where the bloating is concerened. Either that or I'm in the beginning of another flare, we shall see.

Ruth
03-13-2007, 08:13 PM   #7
robert.k

I am currently experiencing what I would consider a very bad flare-up. Keep in mind this is my first flare-up since my first ever attack last summer.

Very quickly, my stools became much much looser and more frequent. Now I am also seeing large amounts of blood virtually every time I go the bathroom. I have diarrhea all the time and moderate cramping. It's gotten a little bit 'better' (simply meaning I'm going less often, but the quality of my BMs is horrible, always extremely loose and very very bloody) in the sense that I go less often, but only because I've been eating very little lately.

I don't experience headaches or hot flashes (although today, I just began to feel very warm at work) and I don't have horrible pain, medium cramping I'd say.

Either way I'm really scared because the prednisone worked so well for me the first time I had an attack and got me under control very quickly... I am not having nearly as much luck this time around... I'm using prednisone around 30-35 mg/day but I am not experiencing much relief at all. It seems like everyone I speak with regarding this has had some form of surgery...
03-13-2007, 08:13 PM   #8
robert.k

You'll have to excuse me if I'm not typing very coherently, I'm at work and very distracted.
03-14-2007, 09:02 AM   #9
TammySue62

My Support Groups:
Hi Robert
Sometimes it takes longer for your body to except the drugs.
Everyone and everybody is different and reacts in a different way.
So try and relax and let the drugs take their course.
Maybe you need to be on IV meds. Like a big dose of solumedrol that is like a cousin to pred. or maybe you have to increase your pred. to 40 mg a day or maybe a Remicade infusion but first always check with your DR. or GI first.
Hope your feeling better soon.
03-14-2007, 10:31 PM   #10
Ilysha

I'm hopefully towards the end of a 3 month flare up. My big symptoms are D, cold sores in my mouth, pain in my lower abodmen, fever and fatigue. The other cold sores are the dead giveaway that I can't mess around and have to get into the doctor to adjust my meds.

Hope this is helpful.
03-15-2007, 05:28 AM   #11
Mazen

My main symptoms are flu like symptoms (tiredeness, shivering, ...), nausea, abdominal pain and painful cramping on bad days that lasts all night long. I also noticed I get constipated for a few days after a flare and i have more heartburn.
03-20-2007, 03:27 AM   #12
Avery

My major sympton is joint pain. I get it horribly from my hip joints to my knees even down to my toes. My legs start to hurt and I know that I will be in trouble soon
03-23-2007, 07:33 PM   #13
leighhi27

A flare-up to me starts with symtomatic arthritis. It hurts to move. I know then that it is starting. The rest comes after, the diarrhea, the bad stomach cramps, mouth ulcers etc...
03-24-2007, 01:07 PM   #14
robert.k

To update, my symptoms have now evolved, I have begun to experience pretty intense pain/cramping pretty often. It's pretty horrible. As soon as I feel the cramping coming on, it takes about 15 seconds for the pain to go from a 1/10 to a 8-9/10. At that point I run to the bathroom. Once I finish in there, the pain subsides until later... This really sucks.

robert.k said:
I am currently experiencing what I would consider a very bad flare-up. Keep in mind this is my first flare-up since my first ever attack last summer.

Very quickly, my stools became much much looser and more frequent. Now I am also seeing large amounts of blood virtually every time I go the bathroom. I have diarrhea all the time and moderate cramping. It's gotten a little bit 'better' (simply meaning I'm going less often, but the quality of my BMs is horrible, always extremely loose and very very bloody) in the sense that I go less often, but only because I've been eating very little lately.

I don't experience headaches or hot flashes (although today, I just began to feel very warm at work) and I don't have horrible pain, medium cramping I'd say.

Either way I'm really scared because the prednisone worked so well for me the first time I had an attack and got me under control very quickly... I am not having nearly as much luck this time around... I'm using prednisone around 30-35 mg/day but I am not experiencing much relief at all. It seems like everyone I speak with regarding this has had some form of surgery...
03-26-2007, 11:02 AM   #15
Crohniac

It really really really does suck Robert. My heart goes out to you right now. I never experienced blood during my bathroom visits, but everything else. No matter what I ate or didn't. It just didn't stay in the digestive tract long . I hope you get to feeling better real soon!
03-26-2007, 12:30 PM   #16
Nancy Lee

Hi Robert,
Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well at all.
Please stay in touch with your doctor okay?
Expecially let him/her know about the blood loss.
Healing hugs~Nancy
03-26-2007, 01:13 PM   #17
robert.k

Thanks for the supportive words! I left a post in Kev's 'prednisone diary' thread, detailing what I think happened to cause this extreme pain. In a nutshell, at the start of my flare-up, I experienced minimal discomfort/pain, simply frequent bowel-movements which were always bloody and always diarrhea. Actually, I have never experienced pain as a symptom until about a week ago (this is my second flare-up ever, my first ever attack was last summer between July and September).

Basically, I began taking prednisone about 8 weeks ago when my symptoms continued to degenerate, however I wasn't getting any relief, so I just jumped off, without tapering. Bad idea. Less than a week later, I was experiencing extreme pain associated with my bowel movements, and I was going every 30-45 minutes. So I decided to get back onto prednisone yesterday (I've also been taking 4.8 grams/day of Asocol since last Thursday), and strangely enough, my pain was reduced after the very first pill.

Weird, eh?

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » What is a flare up?