Share Facebook

View Poll Results: What were your results from juicing?
I tolerated it, and I have large intestine disease 6 15.00%
I tolerated it, and I have small intestine disease 8 20.00%
I didn't tolerate it, and I have large intestine disease 0 0%
I didn't tolerate it, and I have small intestine disease 2 5.00%
I haven't tried juicing 24 60.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

03-20-2011, 04:38 AM   #1
Rebecca85

Juicing

I tried juicing a while back, but found it gave me stomach pains. However, other people swear by it. I noticed that partlycloudy also got pains from juicing, and we both have ileum involvement. Miss Spencer (who does well on juicing) I believe has UC, so only large bowel disease. Is it possible that juicing is of more benefit to patients with large bowel disease, as the juice is absorbed before it reaches the colon? Whereas with small bowel disease even though it's in liquid form you're still relying on the diseased parts to absorb the nutrition?

So I was wondering who else has tried juicing and what their results were. By 'not tolerating' it I mean any worsening of your usual symptoms.

125mg azathioprine
4g Pentasa
03-20-2011, 08:30 AM   #2
Crohns08

When I'm in remission I can seem to tolerate juicing, otherwise I won't even try. My Dad however swears by juicing even when he's in a flare. I was diagnosed with crohn's in my ileum, but right now the major involvement has been in my colon. My Dad however has only had issues with his stomach and colon.
Yoga
Vitamin D
Gabapentin
SCD Multivitamin
Tums
Percocet
60 mg pred tapering weekly
Protonix
Levofloxin
Surgeries:
09/2011 - Draining an Abcess the size of a lemon!
10/2011 - Same abcess, different approach this time, open incision!

Add Me on Facebook!
03-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
I was wondering this myself, Rebecca. I'll be interested to see the poll results.
03-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
David
Co-Founder

I went on a 5 day or so juice fast. I have large intestine issues and was fine until day 5 when the D kicked into serious high gear. A little juice every day is great, but after 5 days of all juice, my gut had enough
03-29-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
ChampsMom

My Support Groups:
Can you explain what you mean by juicing? I just bought my 14 year old a magic bullet so he can make drinks for himself - protein, ensure with yogurt, etc... Is that what you mean?

Mom of Champ (Alex)
Dx: CD April 2010
Meds: 04/25/13 switched back to Pentasa 3,500mg/day - Lialda brought lower abdominal cramps & exhaustion); 04/05/13 switched to Lialda 1.2GM 3 pills/day verse Pentasa 3,500mg/day, prevasaid 15 mg x 1/day, elemental iron, daily vitamin, calcium w/mag D, 50,000 mg Vitamin D/week, B12, B6 supplements, Cetrizine (for sinus issues)
Prayer
Priesthood Blessings
03-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
Rebecca85

Don't know what a magic bullet is, but I'm guessing it's a blender. A juicer gets the juice out of fruit and veg, and throw away the pulp (fibre). So it makes like orange or apple juice. Whereas a blender chops the pulp up but leaves it in the drink. And you get more of a smoothie type drink.
03-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #7
ChampsMom

My Support Groups:
Hi Rebecca,

The bullet is a blender ) the new one comes with a juicer too and my son has been making so many drinks recently, I thought he'd wear out my blender, so I bought him "his" own )

So for juicing, do you mean just as an added benefit have "juice no pulp" as a drink or it is for replacing meals?

Does anyone notice if it matters if your drink cold verse hot?

Rebecca - my cousin lives in Sheffield are you close? )
04-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #8
spcwife23

My Support Groups:
Before I found out what I had, I would juice everyday and it works perfectly with me. But because of my moving my juicer broke, but I need to start back doing that because it would help my tummy alot. I would do the juice and add flax seed in the juice and I would be good. When I first start goin to the ER that's what the doctor told me to do before taking any meds, and I never had any tummy trouble till last year, so I had 5 years of peace just doing the juice.

Meds as of now: keep me in remission.
Humira: every 14 days(my best friend)
Imuran- soon

Condition: NO ACTIVE CROHNS
04-03-2011, 11:00 AM   #9
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
So for juicing, do you mean just as an added benefit have "juice no pulp" as a drink or it is for replacing meals?
I'm not Rebecca but I can answer. Unless one is on what's called a juice fast (consuming only juice), then juicing is generally used as a drink rather than a meal. When I was juicing I looked at it in the same way as taking a vitamin, only fresher. I think some people do drink just juice for breakfast.

Does anyone notice if it matters if your drink cold verse hot?
I'm no expert, but my understanding is heat would destroy all the good stuff in the juice. If you're going to heat it you may as well just buy juice. Fresh juice is very fragile and really should be drunk right away to gain all the benefits if you're drinking it for health reasons.
04-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #10
Rebecca85

Sorry, champsmom, must have missed your reply. Partlycloudy has it spot on, I tried drinking a glass of juice in the afternoons (so as not to drink it with a meal, which might stop it being absorbed as well). And I read that fresh juice should be drunk at room temperature, within 15 minutes of juicing it. If you have used refridgerated fruit or veg and the juice is cold, you should allow it to warm in your mouth before swallowing.

As for Sheffield, it's about 5 junctions up the M1, takes about 45 minutes. I have been shopping there before.
04-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #11
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

I have a Jack Lalaine juicer, and we have used it for applecider but I want to try and make smoothies. I agree with Rebecca, room temp is best .
11-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #12
newlymarriedtocrohns

Thanks for this poll! I have been researching a juicing fast as an option to help Hubby feel better during his a flare-up, but he hasn't been convinced yet that it could do any good. We're not expecting a remission (although that would be great), we're just hoping for some relief.

Are most of you responding just for casual/supplemental drinking of juice or for a full juice fast?
12-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #13
SarahChoueiry

I do this Juice a lot when i have my blood count very low... http://www.myjourneywithcrohns.com/2...-my-blood.html

But when in remission i will add kale, spinach, cucumber and celery to that juice
12-17-2012, 02:44 AM   #14
Laura Dawn

I love juicing! I've started to juice once a day!
12-17-2012, 02:57 AM   #15
SarahChoueiry

I love juicing! I've started to juice once a day!
oh nice... what is ur favorite concoction? and how do you notice i reacts to your belly when in a flare?

for me, in a flare, i wait till it is not severe to juice again, i do just home made chicken broth soup with some blended rice in it but once a bit stronger i juice again with no issues but i stick with this juice, i add the greens when near the end of a flare episode
12-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #16
tek254

I too have been juicing for a little over a year. I use a centrifugal type, this depsoits the pulp out the rear of the machine (ironic). I use when flaring or recovering for hospital stint. 3 apples and 2 carrots are my mainstay but also add ginger at times. Greens consist of celery, cucumbers. Cant stand smell of Kale but taste wasnt bad. Defnitley helps me. My IBD is in terminal ileum.
12-18-2012, 06:17 PM   #17
Laura Dawn

Thanks for sharing your recipe- I will try it!