Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Stopping Omeprazole - is it safe?

09-17-2015, 12:07 AM   #31
UCRemission

Raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar As mentioned earlier, acid reflux typically results from having too little acid in your stomach.

You can easily improve the acid content of your stomach by taking one tablespoon of raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar in a large glass of water.
05-08-2016, 07:17 PM   #32
Lady BAT

Greetings Fellow …suffer-ers. Lady BAT here! I'm new to the group and page. I was sent here by a dear friend, when I told her I am (trying) to Stop Omeprazole , after 20 years, cold turkey! Thanks to my time in the military and my VA PCP, I have been on the drug for, yes! close to 20 years. I am trying an alternative form of medicine's. Stopping, cold turkey, both Omperazole and Gabapentin, has been interesting. So far, no problems with stopping Gabapentin. BUT.. cold turkey on the Omperazole is KILLING ME! I have read some of your replays and posts. Any suggestions? And yes, I have tried to contact my VA primary care person. They say, "Don't ask us. Ask the VA pain clinic". (Your tax dollars at work, taking care of us Veterans) Any words of wisdom from this little Lady BAT in Central Oregon
05-08-2016, 11:52 PM   #33
Rev-Rog

Hi Lady BAT :-)

Thank you for sharing your story.

To be honest, I can offer little advice, but I can share a bit of my story with Omeperazole in the hope it contributes to your gathering of information to help make an informed decision with your own illness.

It is interesting how different people can tolerate and withdraw from the same meds - so differently, and I think that is what can also be confusing and potentially harmful too. We have to know our own tolerances with medications.

I have been on Gabapentin (for my epilepsy), and had horrible side effects and slowly weaned myself off it, but have been on 80mg Omeperazole for over 20 years since surgery and have absolutely zero side effects. Interestingly I have just stopped taking it two days ago, because I am due to be admitted to hospital for further dx, and want to be in a full flare when this happens. I have absolutely no withdrawal or side effects, apart from my esophagus is already starting to hurt/burn a little. I just accept that I have GORD and will remain on Omep permanently. The consequences for me are too great to stop, as I do not want to repeat the surgery.

It will be good to hear more about your disease/journey too :-)

Blessings from New Zealand!

Rog

Greetings Fellow …suffer-ers. Lady BAT here! I'm new to the group and page. I was sent here by a dear friend, when I told her I am (trying) to Stop Omeprazole , after 20 years, cold turkey! Thanks to my time in the military and my VA PCP, I have been on the drug for, yes! close to 20 years. I am trying an alternative form of medicine's. Stopping, cold turkey, both Omperazole and Gabapentin, has been interesting. So far, no problems with stopping Gabapentin. BUT.. cold turkey on the Omperazole is KILLING ME! I have read some of your replays and posts. Any suggestions? And yes, I have tried to contact my VA primary care person. They say, "Don't ask us. Ask the VA pain clinic". (Your tax dollars at work, taking care of us Veterans) Any words of wisdom from this little Lady BAT in Central Oregon
Epilespy (2015) Hate epilspsy drugs, so try to stay free
OCPD/BPD - Quetiapine/Amitriptyline 150mg p/d
Undiagnosed IBD that only responds to Prednisone, with ongoing dx for safer steriods/meds

Last edited by Rev-Rog; 05-09-2016 at 05:08 PM.
05-09-2016, 05:05 PM   #34
Rev-Rog

LOL. only 24 hours later, I am back on 80mg Omep (yes, 80mg), as I woke up with 'the' constant cough that happens when my esophagus is burning.

C'est la vie :-)

Hi Lady BAT :-)

Thank you for sharing your story.

To be honest, I can offer little advice, but I can share a bit of my story with Omeperazole in the hope it contributes to your gathering of information to help make an informed decision with your own illness.

It is interesting how different people can tolerate and withdraw from the same meds - so differently, and I think that is what can also be confusing and potentially harmful too. We have to know our own tolerances with medications.

I have been on Gabapentin (for my epilepsy), and had horrible side effects and slowly weaned myself off it, but have been on 40mg Omeperazole for over 20 years since surgery and have absolutely zero side effects. Interestingly I have just stopped taking it two days ago, because I am due to be admitted to hospital for further dx, and want to be in a full flare when this happens. I have absolutely no withdrawal or side effects, apart from my esophagus is already starting to hurt/burn a little. I just accept that I have GORD and will remain on Omep permanently. The consequences for me are too great to stop, as I do not want to repeat the surgery.

It will be good to hear more about your disease/journey too :-)

Blessings from New Zealand!

Rog
05-10-2016, 10:57 AM   #35
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
This is an old thread indeed! I had started this back in 2011 so I should give some brief updates on how the last 5 years have gone. I did stop Omeprazole... for about 3 weeks. Ranitidine by itself was not enough to keep my GERD under any control at all. I had an episode where I dreamed that I was having a terrible reflux episode, then I woke up and realized it wasn't a dream and had to run for a puke bucket and my pills. Not a fun time. After that, I went right back on Omeprazole, which gradually lost effectiveness for me. Now I'm on a combination of Nexium (40 mg) and Ranitidine (300 mg, twice daily - once before exercise and once before bed). It turns out that my GERD is severe and I have a hiatal hernia, so I do need to be on these meds in order to function. I've been on Nexium for probably about 4 years now and it's been pretty good for me, but I don't dare come off of it. I do weight-bearing exercise regularly to try to counteract any bone loss that my reflux meds might cause, and I also take liquid iron supplements (I have had issues with iron deficiency anemia recently, although that's due in large part to rectal bleeding rather than to my reflux meds).

So yeah, I'm still here and on Nexium for awhile now and doing okay for the most part.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Stopping Omeprazole - is it safe?