• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Question about blood tests

Hi all -

I could use some help understanding the blood tests my doctor ordered. Specifically I want to know if the inflammation I have has gone down. I know that C Reative Protein and Sedimentation Rate are two ways to measure this, but I don't know if they are being measured.

My doctor has ordered that I have a comprehensive metabolic panel done every month and a CBC with differential done every two weeks (I am on 6mp). I have this done at a Quest lab in the US.

The blood lab results show the following measures:
Glucose
Urea Nitrogen (BUN)
Creatinine
eGFR Non-Afr American
eGFR African American
BUN/Creatinine Ratio
Sodium
Potassium
Chloride
Carbon Dioxide
Calcium
Protein, Total
Albumin
Globulin
Albumin/Globuin Ratio
Bilirubin, Total
Alkaline Phosphatase
AST
ALT
White blood cell count
Red Blood cell count
Hemoglobin
Hematocrit
MCV
MCH
MCHC
RDW
Platelet Count
Absolute Neutrophils
Absolute Lymphocytes
Absolute Monocytes
Absolute Eosinophils
Absolute Basophils
Neutrophils
Lymphocytes
Monocytes
Eosinophils
Basophils

Are any of these measures of inflammation? Are any of these measures above C Reactive Protein or Sedimentation Rate? If not, how often do your doctors have you do a test of your C Reactive Protein and Sedimentation Rate?

For what it is worth my RDW is high (17.3) and my absolute lymphocytes are low 718.

Thanks in advance for any help!

blood work

Thanks for that site - it is helpful. So how often do your doctors test your C-reactive protein or Sed/ESR rate? I am considering asking my GI about it.

AZMOM

Jane - My daughter is on 6MP. While she was "stable" with her remission, the labs backed off to quarterly. You'll be ready for that! :) However, the CRP and ESR are ALWAYS included with her CBC (complete blood chemistry/count) and the CMP (comprehensive metabolic profile) that are part of the routine.

It is worth asking the question. Now all that said, some of the other tests can be out of whack and indicative of inflammation. But yeah......ask!

Hugs,

My next appointment for blood work is on the 1st. I'm pretty sure the tests I have to get are routine--Here they are:

CBC+Diff
SED RATE
COMP METABOLIC PANEL
C-REACTIVE PROTEIN

I think there is a possibility I'll have to be put on supplements because I haven't gotten my menstrual cycle since I've been diagnosed. Having to cut out so many foods sucks (I'm eating a hoho right now--it is yummy and loaded with vitamins & minerals...lol)

None of the tests on that list are for inflammation though raised platelets can be an indication of inflammation. Your lymphocytes will be a little low due to being on 6MP.