• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newly diagnosed (story so far...)

hello :)
I guess this is where I begin as a new member - with a 'brief' introduction (something says this isn't going to be brief).

My experience with crohn's started back mid-Nov 2010 when I was getting a mouth full of ulcers that wouldn't go. I was given antibiotics, antivirals and antifungals and nothing cleared it up. Skip forward to Jan 2011 and I still had the mouth ulcers, had lost a fair amount of weight and had starting bleeding PR. I was referred to the GI team who scheduled a gastroscopy and colonoscopy which had to be brought forward due to a blood test showing CRP levels of 18.

I had the tests and it was discovered I had some form of colitis (later diagnosed as crohn's from biopsy results), peptic ulcers and a hiatus hernia.
I was started on mesalazine, omeprazole and prednisolone.

About a week later, I was still bleeding PR and suffering bad stomach pain that usually subsided with pain killers. I was admitted to hospital for IV steroids and other tests as they thought there was some small bowel involvement too.

Back home and I am still on the mesalazine and due to start tapering the prednisolone from next week. I am also on a liquid diet to give my bowel a rest but I am struggling with it - it's a long time without food.

So after a rough few months, this is hopefully the worst and it can only get better.

That's my story so far, nice to meet you :) x

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Vickie and welcome to the forum! I am sorry you have had such a rough few months, but I am glad you got answers so quick! It can take some people a very long time to get diagnosed. Has your new treatment helped your symptoms? I certainly hope so and that the blood has subsided being that you are going to begin tapering the pred next week. I really hope things get better for you, too! I look forward to seeing you around the forum!

Hi :)
I was so relieved to finally put a name to the symptoms - I do think that my family history (my dad also has crohn's) is what led to them suspecting and ultimately diagnosing me so quickly. Apart from the occasional cramp and impromptu toilet trips, the majority of symptoms have calmed significantly (much to my relief) including the absence of blood now so I do believe that although it's a struggle, the treatments really are working. Thank you for your kind wishes, hope you are doing well too x

Hi Vickie,
Sorry to hear about your Crohn's diag. The mesalazine is pretty mild as Crohn's drugs go. Pred is strong - depending on dose (like 40mg and up). Pred always worked for me, so I hope it works for you. Just getting off it can be tough - but that's usually for long term users.

Welcome to the forum!

ameslouise

Hi Vicki and welcome!

Hope you start to feel better soon. Enjoy the forum, there's lots of good advice and nice folks here that have been thru it all!

- Amy

Thank you both for the welcome :)
I think just the knowledge that you're not alone in this has been the biggest help for me in coming to terms with the diagnosis - and I can already sense the overwhelming support network here x

Hi Vickie and welcome aboard :)

It sounds like you're having an unpleasant time but hopefully that will ease soon and the guys and girls on here are marvellous :thumright: