Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Tests for IBD » Dreading a colonoscopy

03-28-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
Domsmom

My Support Groups:
Dreading a colonoscopy

So tomorrow is the big day! I'm in the middle of prep now. One positive thing to say is that pico is waaaaaayyyyyy better than klean prep!!! I'm about to take my second dose, and I'm not at all dreading it.

I know I'm still a crohn's newbie in many ways. This is only my second colonoscopy, but for some reason I'm really anxious about it. It's been almost 3 years since my first one. I was married for only 7 months, and 5 weeks pregnant at the time. This time I have an 8 month old and a 2 year old to take care of. I was hoping to get someone to take the kids tonight, but it didn't work. My mom isn't stable right now, my MIL would, but has to work at the family business in the morning. My husband is coming home from work at noon to pick us up. We'll drop the kids off at my sisters, and be at the hospital in time for my 1:15 a ppt. I'll probably stay at my in- laws afterwards while my husband goes back to work. Mostly I'm not looking forward to getting the kids ready in the morning, and having my husband at my appt. I love him to bits and pieces, but he stresses big time when me or the kids are receiving any sort of medical treatment (we've had some bad experiences).

So basically this is just me getting it all out and asking for prayers! If anyone has read my blog...I am going to start my diet from scratch again on Wednesday. I need to beat this thing for my family! Please pray that my results show improvements!

Thanks so much!

In all things by prayer and supplication let your requests be made known unto God.

Current meds: None

Past meds:
Asacol
Pentasa
Prednisone
Imuran
Cipro
Flagyl
03-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
lilangelsmom1213

I will keep you in my prayers. I had my 2nd colonoscopy last month & I was very nervous also. You will be in my thoughts tomorrow.
6MP
Pentasa
Vitamin D
B12
Lomotil
Vitamin C
03-28-2011, 10:34 PM   #3
Jennifer
Adminstrator

You'll be fine. Try not to stress about what other people may or may not do. Just focus on you when you're in there. I look at scopes as nap time really and I'm sure you could use the much needed rest. Good luck with the results!
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
03-28-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
Domsmom

My Support Groups:
Thanks so much! I really appreciate it.

I wonder if knowing makes it a little more nerve racking?!
03-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
Domsmom

My Support Groups:
Lol crabby

It's too bad they don't put ya out here unless you have to be! I watched (and felt) my entire last one!
03-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #6
Domsmom

My Support Groups:
Mmmmmm pico-salex! A great night cap
03-28-2011, 10:51 PM   #7
keepsmiling21

Don't be anxious! The second one is worse I think because you gave experienced it before and you remember the bad parts more than the good. I'll be thinking about you tonorrow and praying for some positive results!!! Good luck and stay positive!!!

"A smile confuses an approaching frown."
-- Author Unknown

"Here is the test to find whether your mission on earth is finished. If you're alive, it isn't."
-- Richard Bach

Current Medications:

Asacol 400 mg - 3 pills 3x daily
Omeprazole 20 mg - 1 pill am
Metronidazole - 250 mg - 1 pill 3x daily
Ciprofloxacin 500 mg - 1 pill daily
Alprazolam .5 mg - as needed for anxiety
Percoset - as needed for severe pain
03-29-2011, 02:18 AM   #8
juicy24

I found this hopefully it will make you smile!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crohns4.jpg (8.6 KB, 47 views)
currently on: Humira every 2 weeks,
Pentasa 2x day 500mg, Iron, B-12 shot,
hyoscyamine as needed
New med: belladonna-phenobarbital

have been on: Prednisone (which I will never take again), asacol (waste of time for me),
Entocort, sulfasalazine (made me have weird side affects),Remicade (Horriable reaction after 3rd dose)
03-29-2011, 02:59 AM   #9
nannieannie

Hi! This is my first ever post. I am having a colonoscopy tomorrow (Wednesday) morning and I am really terrified.I cannot eat after 9am today and start drinking the prep stuff later today. I have had one other colonoscopy 5 years ago and to be honest I cannot really remember much about it but since then have had surgery and managed to get sceptascemia afterwards and ended up in ICU and was very very poorly and this has left be with a real phobia of hospitals. My IBD nurse will be there with me and my Consultant is doing the colonoscopy and has promised to take good care of me, but I am still terrified.
By the way I was diagnosed with Crohns 9 years ago,
Annie
03-29-2011, 03:12 AM   #10
juicy24

Hi! This is my first ever post. I am having a colonoscopy tomorrow (Wednesday) morning and I am really terrified.I cannot eat after 9am today and start drinking the prep stuff later today. I have had one other colonoscopy 5 years ago and to be honest I cannot really remember much about it but since then have had surgery and managed to get sceptascemia afterwards and ended up in ICU and was very very poorly and this has left be with a real phobia of hospitals. My IBD nurse will be there with me and my Consultant is doing the colonoscopy and has promised to take good care of me, but I am still terrified.
By the way I was diagnosed with Crohns 9 years ago,
Annie
The worse part is the prep. The colonoscopy it self is not that bad. I would tell them that you are a little nervous and make sure they give you some good sleepy meds. You won't feel a thing, if you do feel anything make sure you say something! You will be ok I promise, I've had 5 of them!
03-29-2011, 05:31 AM   #11
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
I agree the prep is the worst part.....although the Miralax is waaaayyyy better than the go-lytely!

I would absolutely mention you are anxious/nervous about the procedure, docs have some GREAT meds for that....I used to be semi-awake for my scopes (old doc) - they were not always the best because I was usually in a pretty moderate/severe flare.....my 'new' doc (~only about 8 years now!)/hospital uses the propophol and it is nighty-night time!.....

I've lost track of how many scopes I've had, basically now I look at them as nap time too! As with my remicade treatments..lol...

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
03-29-2011, 07:47 AM   #12
margie

ditto the prep and like juicy said if you are feeling it, then you need to tell them so they can give you more sleepy meds. I have had several of them. Please don't stress, as that could just aggravate your symptoms more.

Thoughts and prayers are with you today during the prep and tomorrow.

Please keep us posted as to how you are doing

Diagnosed with Crohn's Disease 2005
At this time have no GI doc and on no meds.
03-29-2011, 08:55 AM   #13
Domsmom

My Support Groups:
Thanks everyone!

T-3 hours till showtime. My daughter woke up early this morning, so between that and bathroom runs last night...I'm a little tired. I'm not too hungry, but cramping pretty bad. It seemed like every time I tried to lay down to sleep last night was the exact moment the urge came. I slept on the couch so hubby want disturbed too much. Now I have to pack up my kids gear, and wait for DH to pick me up.

The worst part of last night is that I started researching other symptoms i'vebeen having and a lot are associated with lupus. Sometimes the www is dangerous for me!
03-29-2011, 09:01 AM   #14
margie

Hang in there Kirsten and keep us posted. You will be in my thoughts and prayers today. Hope that you can get some answers.

Big Hug

Crohn's Disease Forum » Tests for IBD » Dreading a colonoscopy