• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Leg Pain

U

ukstephie

Hello All -

I'm curious to know if any of you experience any kind of upper leg pain related to your Crohn's. My Partner who has had Crohn's for 20+ years now has periodically over the last year or so experienced odd pain in her upper left thigh. Apparently it feels like someone has taken a sharp object stuck it in her thigh and runs it up and down "ripping" it apart.. Tag onto that sometimes a severe burning sensation, as if after tearing it apart someone lit a match inside the thigh, plus numbness all at the same time and that's what it's like!. At first we thought maybe some kind of pinched nerve, then it went away, now it has come back with a vengance, so much that some nights no sleep is to be had at all. The doc has scheduled an MRI so we'll see. Just thought I'd put it out there in case anyone can relate.

Thanks,

ukstephie

Hi
I have had this problem for quite sometime now.
Only difference between me and you is mine starts
on the right side of my leg and runs up to my arm
and back down again exact same kinda pain that you have.
Try explaining that to my Dr. and he said it was spasms. I said
its not, so I had all the tests done MRI, ct scans and he even sent
me to a neroligist (sp)? No results
My pain lasts for hours sometimes,never no warning or nothing,just wham
I'm still hear remember me. Even the stongest of pain killers only puts a dent
in this unexplained pain. I just think its another wonderful side effect of having CD.
I feel for your partners pain. Some nights I cry myself to sleep it can just get
so unbearable.Can't walk,can't sit can't sleep. I try all those things even shaking
the crap outa my leg and arm,even squishing it smashing, sqeezing nothing
works. Just have to wait it out.
I think that it may be a side effect from being on pred. for long period of time.
Please let me no if you have mor knowledge on this matter.
Thanks

A

Avery

I also have the same kind of pain in my legs, usually in the thigh and shin area. Mine tends to travel up and down, depending on how i am sitting. They say that you are suppposed to elevate it to help the pain, but whenever I have done that the pain actually travels to my abdomen, it sounds crazy but eh. I haven't really found anything that helps. A piping hot bath usually takes away the sting off of the burning sensation. Massages help somewhat. but waiting is the only sure thing

I just experienced this same pain the other day. I didn't know what to think of it. It came from out of nowhere .

U

ukstephie

Thanks for your responses, we were literally going crazy trying to figure this out.
I don't know about the link with Pred because my partner has refused to take any steriods over the years unless she was in hospital for a blockage or surgery. Now I'm beginning to wonder if the MRI is worth it, I'm always one for getting tests done just in case but I don't want to put her through anymore than necessary. Tammy, I don't know if it was you or someone else who also mentioned about an eye problem, I just remembered Colette (my partner) mentioning out of the blue last week she sometimes experiences blurred vision for periods of 5-10 mins every now and then. I'll keep you all posted with any treatment etc..... thanks again.

ukstephie said:
Thanks for your responses, we were literally going crazy trying to figure this out.
I don't know about the link with Pred because my partner has refused to take any steriods over the years unless she was in hospital for a blockage or surgery. Now I'm beginning to wonder if the MRI is worth it, I'm always one for getting tests done just in case but I don't want to put her through anymore than necessary. Tammy, I don't know if it was you or someone else who also mentioned about an eye problem, I just remembered Colette (my partner) mentioning out of the blue last week she sometimes experiences blurred vision for periods of 5-10 mins every now and then. I'll keep you all posted with any treatment etc..... thanks again.

Yes it was me with eye problems called IRITIS.

U

ukstephie

Thanks Tammy - I thought it was you, could you give me a brief rundown of IRITIS so I can compare. Also If I'm not mistaken in one of the threads you mentioned a long list of meds you take every day, would you also mind letting me know if that was you and if so what you take, it sounds like you & Colette have similar problems. We'll be online at home sometime this week and I've been filling her in on the forum and how great it is, not only for people with Crohn's but those who share it with them. I know she's very lonely and gets depressed because she can no longer work and feels she's not contributing at all to our life. I can't wait for her to get to know everyone and find out she has a great outlet to vent, scream, question etc......

Thanks very much,
Stephie

ukstephie said:
Thanks Tammy - I thought it was you, could you give me a brief rundown of IRITIS so I can compare. Also If I'm not mistaken in one of the threads you mentioned a long list of meds you take every day, would you also mind letting me know if that was you and if so what you take, it sounds like you & Colette have similar problems. We'll be online at home sometime this week and I've been filling her in on the forum and how great it is, not only for people with Crohn's but those who share it with them. I know she's very lonely and gets depressed because she can no longer work and feels she's not contributing at all to our life. I can't wait for her to get to know everyone and find out she has a great outlet to vent, scream, question etc......

Thanks very much,
Stephie

Hi Stephie
If you look up the post in Your Story under NEW HERE by rattle.
You will find the information that I posted, I think 3 of them.
They were to long to try and remember them again and I don't know
how to copy and paste yet. I'm not very computer intelligent yet. LOL
So look them up and If I forgot something just let me know in a post
or you can even PM me if you like.
You didn't specified the kind of drugs that you wanted to know about.
The drugs that I'm on right now or the pain meds .
Just let me know.

U

ukstephie

Thanks Tammy - I'll check it out and if I have any questions I'll let you know.