Share Facebook

04-01-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
Starla86

Prego question??

I was dx with Crohns last year but have had symtoms for about 13 yrs off and on. I gave birth to my first child in 2008 with no problems and he was a healthy 8lbs 4oz 21" long chunker But about 2 months after I went into a severe flare that Im just now getting under control. I just started Remicade and we have been thinking about having another child once I get a couple doses in me and start feeling better. My thought is if I get pregnant again should I expect the same uneventful but great pregnancy or be prepared for some of the stories that I have read on here. My Dr thinks that my last pregnancy and prolonged breastfeeding is what brought this major flare on but cant really give me an answer about the next one. She does want me to wait a couple months to let the Remicade start working then she wants me off of it and hope for the best. Would love some input, thanks!!

Currently on:
TPN 12 hour cycles
Humira
Pred
Protonix
Lasiks
Dilaudid PRN
Valium
B12 shots
Was taking:
Remicade
Entocort
04-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
Lydia

What ever meds got you better, stay on them. This is the best way to ensure you dont flare during or after pregnancy. I am on remicade and I plan to stay on it while pregnant and breastfeeding. I have a very informative video from the Mayo clinic that I will come back and post.
04-01-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
Lydia

Here it is.

http://crohnstoday.com/the-impact-of...ancy/#more-147
04-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
Manzyb
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yeah, I wouldn't just take a few doses of Remicade and then "hope for the best"! That sounds a bit crazy to me. If it is working for you, you should stay on it, especially while pregnant.

I'm on Humira, have been my entire pregnancy, and my baby is perfectly healthy.

Sadie turns 2, 4/5/13!
04-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
Neko76

My Support Groups:
Every doc I have has told me that your health at the time of conception is the best predictor of how your pregnancy will go, so if you guys are planning I would go with waiting until you are at your best health...or the best health that you normally acheive. I too had a totally uneventful, normal pregnancy...actually I had an easier time than most of my "healthy" friends. My daughter is now six and totally fine. I am currently 12 weeks preg, which occured during a flare...I have recently had 2 operations at 8 weeks and 11 weeks for abcesses and peri-anal fistulas....not fun, but apparently baby is fine (so far). As for the Remicade I agree with the above post...from everything my Doc has told me and I have read Remicade is safe for the first 32 weeks of pregnancy...so you shouldn't have to stop it and risk flaring or worse if you decide to go ahead....maybe you should discuss this further with your doctor. I have recently started Remicade (after first surgery) after two years on Humira (which just stopped working in Nov =( thus the flare.) Wishing you luck with whatever you dicide.
04-04-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
Starla86

Thanks for all the support, I have an appt with my GI on the 21st and am going to talk with her more extensively about Remicade and pregnancy. Thanks for that video it really put me at ease and answered alot of questions. I am feeling alot better after 3 months of steroids and starting Remicade but I am still loosing weight which is my biggest concern. I am on a low res diet but I eat alot in my opinion and still am having no luck putting weight on. I am lucky that chocolate doesnt bother me and I eat it every chance I get to try and put some lbs on but its just not working. Im 5'5" and around 102 right now and Im afraid that I wont be able to put on weight for the baby even though I am feeling better. Did any of you have a high risk OB? I didnt know if that was something that maybe I should look into. Thanks again--Sarah
04-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #7
Neko76

My Support Groups:
I was followed by the High Risk OB team at our major hospital for my last pregnancy as well as for this one.... The main difference from what I can tell is that they follow you more closely...i.e I had 5 ultrasounds and a visit at least every month my entire pregnancy last time and I am already being closely monitored for this pregnancy. I know I was more comfortable with this set up. I am in Canada so it may be different where you are but I think given your concerns it would not be at all unreasonable to look into a high risk OB.
04-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #8
lorr

Hi Starla86,
I too had my first child in 2008, was very healthy prior and became quite ill after, although I haven't had the weight loss. After on and off illness (not on any meds) I went back to my GI guy August 2011, had some tests and as it turns out I have some severe narrowing and was advised not to get pregnant .... however I know my body and felt I was healthy enough to go ahead as planned, I'm now 28 weeks along feeling great and have had an uneventful healthy pregnancy (as far as crohn's goes) I go to a high risk ob in my area - like a previous posted mentioned they watch you more closely with many ultrasounds, visits with dieticians etc.. I am fully prepared for the worst after I give birth and anticipate surgery in the next few years or sooner but have a full support from family and friends with my decision, and wouldn't change a thing. I would definitley take the advice of your doctors but you know your body best and you have to feel good about any decision that you make. Good luck and keep us posted ....