Share Facebook

04-02-2011, 06:35 AM   #1
Jannicke

Raw food?

I`ve read some places on the web about the great benefits of eating raw food- and also for people with Crohns. One webpage said that people with Crohns could become completely well on this diet
Anyone who has tried it in here? I`m willing to try anything to get a painfree life!
The diet is made up of lots of fruits, vegetables after a few months and a small amount of nuts and seeds. What about vitamin B12 and iron??? Doesn`t get a lot of that on this diet, thats for sure!
The only thing I can tolerate nowadays is a liquid meal- replacer called Meal Tech from a Norwegian firm called Tech Nutrition..
04-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
Keona

I know for me a lot of raw foods cause a lot of pain so I wouldnt be able to tolerate it. Raw veggies are especially torturous. Maybe if they were put through a juicer it would be better not sure. Also, it isnt good for people with Crohns to have nuts and seeds as they can get stuck. Someone explained it to me that made a lot of sense... your intestines are inflamed and angry looking and if you eat popcorn and foods with rough edges, it will scrape the sides of your intestines and make things worse. This fit for me even though I cant see inside my guts....I can certainly feel it. You might want to check with your dietician or GI first before doing this.

Welcome to the forum
Dx Endometriosis April 2011

"if nothing changes - nothing changes

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=530585394
04-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #3
Crohns08

I couldn't do it while flaring, but I know now that I've been on humira and all of my markers are normal I can eat sushi and I absolutely love it! If it wasn't so expensive I'd eat a lot more of it. But sadly it is and I can only eat it like three times a week as a lunch.
Yoga
Vitamin D
Gabapentin
SCD Multivitamin
Tums
Percocet
60 mg pred tapering weekly
Protonix
Levofloxin
Surgeries:
09/2011 - Draining an Abcess the size of a lemon!
10/2011 - Same abcess, different approach this time, open incision!

Add Me on Facebook!
04-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
Keona

you can make sushi..it is really easy and fun to make!
04-03-2011, 06:53 AM   #5
FDK80

I dont think this is a good idea, people with crohns should be really carefull about food diet, and from what i know Raw-food is a Big NO !

Symptoms started 1997

Current medication:
Humira 40 Mg every 2 weeks
Omeprazole (Gasec) 2 x 20mg
Loperamide ( Imodium) twice a day

Pain killer:
- Tramadol hydrochloride (zaldiar)
-Celecoxib (celebrex): for joint pain.
04-09-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
musicislife52

My Support Groups:
I know you're not supposed to eat skins and seeds (or too much fiber, really) with Crohn's, which is extremely hard for me as I am very health-conscious and vegetarian (I am trying to eliminate dairy and don't eat eggs too often though). I bought a VitaMix 5200 to help with the skins and seeds though, and even though it is very expensive (almost $400 for a reconditioned model - practically new, just used for demos), it is AMAZING. It blends fruits and veggies down to practically juice. I have a smoothie every morning for breakfast with spinach, a small amount of kale, mixed berries, a banana, sometimes mango/kiwi/dates, 1/2 tablespoon of organic hemp oil (working my way up to a full tablespoon), under 1/4 cup oatmeal, and sometimes soy or oat milk. It comes out to about 3 cups and takes me at least an hour to drink it all but it gives me so much energy and it helps keep me regular.

I'm doing this to try to give my intestines a slight break from digesting. I have heard from many sources to try and reduce my fiber intake with Crohn's, but everything I eat is high-fiber so I would have to drastically alter my diet, and I feel like my energy levels would drop a lot, but maybe my flare-ups would stop? It's so confusing! Also, I get constipated usually, instead of the typical diarrhea that comes with Crohn's, so I need the fiber. So far, the smoothies seem to be okay, but it's hard to tell.

I also take a multivitamin to make sure I'm getting Calcium, Vitamin D, Iron, and B12.

I've heard that juicing is great, since it eliminates the fiber, but my stomach doesn't feel happy when I drink juice... Maybe green juice would be different, since I've only had fruit juice, but I'm not willing to spend that much on a juicer at this point.

Currently taking:
Whole foods multivitamin
Probiotics (including homemade sauerkraut and kombucha)
Digestive Enzymes
Sublingual B-12 spray
Tumeric Curcumin

Have taken:
Entocort - summer 2011/2013
Pentasta (up to 4g) - until 04/12/2011
Prednisone
Protonix

Last edited by musicislife52; 04-09-2011 at 12:54 PM.
04-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #7
ameslouise

The Functional Medicine doctor I used to see always had magazines from the Hippocrates Institute in his office, which I would read while getting my nutrient infusions. They always touted raw and whole food diets, even for IBD patients. I just could never understand how ANY flaring Crohn's patient could tolerate raw foods, unless they were on megadoses of pred!

I agree that juicing is a great way to get the vitamins and nutrients offered by raw foods without going thru the painful process of digesting them ourselves.

If you do try going down the raw path, please be very careful!

- Amy
04-11-2011, 03:47 AM   #8
Miss Spencer

I've read some places on the web about the great benefits of eating raw food- and also for people with Crohns. One webpage said that people with Crohns could become completely well on this diet Anyone who has tried it in here?
Yes, I am doing it, but with limitations.

For example: I can't eat a broccoli in its whole raw state, but I can easily juice it. Juicing is still part of a raw diet.

Sweet ripe raw fruit such as red papaya and banana are very soothing for the bowels, especially if eaten in a mashed or blended state.

I know two people who have totally cured Ulcerative Colitis and Crohns by following a 100% raw vegan diet.

I eat 50% raw vegan and 50% cooked vegan foods and this is a good balance for me to remain pain free. I also avoid gluten/wheat and am taking some supplements. I am pretty much in remission, well certainly a vast improvement considering how ill I once was.

Here is the website if you are interested in finding out more:

http://www.colitis-crohns.com/

In the early stages I was eating a lot of lightly steamed food, and as I got better I introduced more and more raw food. I was 100% raw for a while but I find it too hard to stick to, so 50/50 is the perfect answer for me.

I am also following Dr Joel Fuhrman:

http://www.drfuhrman.com/

He has a good newsletter out that covers the natural best treatments and diet for UC & C. I have given the link for this in other posts.

Currently in the best health I have ever been with UC, due to the above.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Miss Spencer; 04-11-2011 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Sentence structure
04-11-2011, 04:08 AM   #9
Miss Spencer

What about vitamin B12 and iron??? Doesn`t get a lot of that on this diet, thats for sure!
If you do the diet badly, you may need to take a supplement.

But most people following a raw diet don't take synthetic supplements; they get all their nutrition from the food they eat.

Although they may choose to boost their diet with a natural superfood (i.e.) freeze dried organic chlorella powder. This powder is excellent for UC & C and I normally add a teaspoon to my smoothies, which are another part of the raw diet

If the diet is done correctly, you will get plenty of calcium, iron and protein.

http://www.veganrawdiet.com/about/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/39...or-raw-vegans/

http://vegetarian.lovetoknow.com/Cha..._Raw_Food_Diet

http://www.hippocrateshealthlifestyl...-a-foundation/

Remember: Any diet can be bad if not researched correctly and not planned properly.
04-11-2011, 11:32 PM   #10
musicislife52

My Support Groups:
If you do the diet badly, you may need to take a supplement.

But most people following a raw diet don't take synthetic supplements; they get all their nutrition from the food they eat.

Although they may choose to boost their diet with a natural superfood (i.e.) freeze dried organic chlorella powder. This powder is excellent for UC & C and I normally add a teaspoon to my smoothies, which are another part of the raw diet

If the diet is done correctly, you will get plenty of calcium, iron and protein.

http://www.veganrawdiet.com/about/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/39...or-raw-vegans/

http://vegetarian.lovetoknow.com/Cha..._Raw_Food_Diet

http://www.hippocrateshealthlifestyl...-a-foundation/

Remember: Any diet can be bad if not researched correctly and not planned properly.
You won't get Vitamin D (even more important if you don't get much or any sun!) or B12 though. You'll need a supplement for those.
04-12-2011, 04:47 AM   #11
Jannicke

Thanks for all of your answers

I`m going for this diet, I don`t see how it got be worse than many of the other diets around. I`ve been living vegan for these last weeks, and I am definitely feeling better. I quit the Entocort I was prescribed, the side effects were too heavy.. So now I`m trying to heal the natural way - replacing more and more of my cooked vegan foods with raw, and I feel very well! My stomach functions normally again after being almost constantly constipated the last months.
But I`m going to take your advice on taking supplements tough, vitamin B- complex and vitamin D.
04-12-2011, 06:17 PM   #12
Miss Spencer

You won't get Vitamin D (even more important if you don't get much or any sun!) or B12 though. You'll need a supplement for those.
Most of the true raw vegan die-hards don't take supplements; they are totally against anything synthetic. Then again, they are all very much into natural living, which includes being out in the fresh air and sunshine.

I am not a true raw vegan die-hard. I use supplements for Vitamin D, as I donít get out into the sunshine much. I have my blood checked every year, and so far my Vitamin B levels have remained good, so I have not yet needed a supplement. But I probably will down the line.

I have also read that meat eaters are advised to supplement with B12, due to absorption problems. And many meat eaters have been found to be deficient in a number of different vitamins, so donít presume you are safe just because you eat meat.
04-13-2011, 03:35 PM   #13
musicislife52

My Support Groups:
Yeah, B vitamins are stored in your body for a certain period of time, but to be safe you should supplement. And you're right, it's not just raw vegans that need to supplement - even meat/dairy eaters can be deficient, so basically everyone can benefit from a quality supplement.

Also, B vitamins are absorbed in the Ileum primarily, which is where a lot of us have Crohn's, so all the more reason to be on the safe side!

There are sprays you can get with B12 (better absorption and easy to take when you're feeling too nauseous for pills!)... My sister and I just started using the brand Pure Vegan which was about $20 for 175 500mcg sprays.
04-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #14
Miss Spencer

There are sprays you can get with B12 (better absorption and easy to take when you're feeling too nauseous for pills!)... My sister and I just started using the brand Pure Vegan which was about $20 for 175 500mcg sprays.
Never heard of a spray. Do you just spray it in your mouth?
04-21-2011, 10:35 PM   #15
musicislife52

My Support Groups:
Yeah, under the tongue.
05-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #16
raeleene7

Hi Jannicke! Hey good luck with the new diet! For me, and most of the other fellow crohnies I know fresh fruit and veggies are a big no-no. We can't fully digest all of them and therefore it can be painful or can cause a stricture- ouch! Actually thats exactly what happened to me, ate a banana one day and the next- BIG BLOWOUT! there are ways to puree them, etc. which in that liquid state, no problemo for me!
I am currently taking no meds (none have worked)
Have been on B-12 shots and massive D and Calcium
Have tried Aloe, Alive, Oil, Probiotics, etc. None of them helped- they either helped for a couple of weeks and then back to the drawing board, or they made my symptoms worse.
What is working for me and has been for the last 5 months is Juice Plus. I have way more energy, the flares have eased way up, no more severe flares, cramps are gone, my Dr. took blood work to see if my body was absorbing any of the nutrients and YES! all my levels are up. I am sooooooo grateful for finally getting a break with crohns! (doing my happy dance-lol)
Take care of yourselves!

Severe Crohns Diagnosed- 5/06
Previous Meds Taken- Remicade, cimzia, humira, prednisone, pentasa, entocort, etc. (all)
Currently taking- Juice Plus
Surgeries- 9

Last edited by raeleene7; 05-03-2011 at 01:15 PM.
06-01-2011, 08:21 AM   #17
sunluvva

I'm the same as Miss Spencer above - doing raw but with some limitations (it's more difficult socially than practically)

There are many types of raw food diets touted on the net and some are as harmful as eating burgers and pizza everyday with very high fat contents and loads of nuts and dehydrated foods.

I also recommend Dr David Klien's site colitis-crohns .com He healed himself using this approach and has since helped thousands of others overcome IBD. Most importantly is that his methods allow people with severe symptoms to heal by taking a very slow gradual approach - infact he tells you to avoid lots of fruit and veg!

I became B12 deficient eating a normal 'meat & dairy' diet and need regular injections so would advise anyone with crohn's to get tested regularly at the Dr's as severe deficiency is horrible (symptoms of dementia) and dangerous.

Good luck everyone who decides to give it a try
06-14-2011, 10:25 AM   #18
newsun

I`ve read some places on the web about the great benefits of eating raw food- and also for people with Crohns. One webpage said that people with Crohns could become completely well on this diet
Anyone who has tried it in here? I`m willing to try anything to get a painfree life!
The diet is made up of lots of fruits, vegetables after a few months and a small amount of nuts and seeds. What about vitamin B12 and iron??? Doesn`t get a lot of that on this diet, thats for sure!
The only thing I can tolerate nowadays is a liquid meal- replacer called Meal Tech from a Norwegian firm called Tech Nutrition..
I don't think taking raw food diet would be a good idea.
08-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #19
Faye11

PLease read this.

Self Healing of Colitis and Crohn's by David Klein, Ph.D

Raw food IS the way to go. but transition is necessary
08-22-2011, 07:57 AM   #20
alfredothebarber

I bought a book by Dr. David Klein, who claims that a raw fruit/veg diet (and nothing else) can cure EVERYONE in 6-8 weeks of all UC and Crohn's symptoms. I followed his plan to a tee (which began with steamed veggies), and I didn't get any better. I just lost a ton of weight (which wasn't good because I'm skinny as it is).

It may work for some, but it's definitely not a cure-all. Oh, and I can't even look at squash anymore. I ate so much squash in that timespan. Yuk!
08-22-2011, 12:52 PM   #21
Mountaingem
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I tried this diet about ten years ago. I was on it for four weeks and my colon never did adapt to the raw veggies/fruits. I was under my GI doctor's supervision, who also happened to follow the diet, not because she had a disease but because she believed in it. I started it when I was in remission and on Entocort and Pentasa, just to be safe.

I was on it for six weeks, and I never did adapt to the raw foods. I had terrible pain, cramping and diarrhea;about week three I also had bleeding. I stuck it out but after four weeks of it I had enough; also I was anemic and had lost 10 pounds.

I needed a six week round of steroids to get everything under control. My doctor said it was hard to know if I was going to come out of remission anyway, and this just gave it a final push, or if it was entirely from the diet. She also was a research doctor so she wrote a paper on my experience.

I WILL STAY STRONG
I WILL FIGHT
I WILL WIN

Current Meds: Cimzia, Methotrexate, Prevacid, Sertraline, Nortryptaline, Prednisone, Atenelol
08-22-2011, 01:01 PM   #22
outlier

My Support Groups:
take a look at this book Catching Fire Cooking made human
http://www.amazon.com/Catching-Fire-.../dp/0465013627
The author argues that our bodies are no longer built to tolerate a solely raw food diet. Part of the reason is our colons and digestive systems are to small. so for someone with crohn's who's colons and digestive systems are impaired it seems like it might be even worse.
Yes people lose weight but that's not because it's healthy as most of us know not all weight loss is good.
No more sulfasalazine, Methotrexate, Xibrom, Pred Forte and Iron
08-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #23
Mountaingem
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Oh, yes outlier makes a good point, I should clarify that the 10 pounds I lost wasn't a good thing; I was already too thin to begin with and the way I lost it was in the typical flare kind of way.

I was low on all my vitamins and had a terrible time gaining enough weight again, even with the steroids.
11-30-2011, 02:07 AM   #24
Mannaforlife

Yes I have done this very diet the raw food diet and can testify that it does work!
it is the cure for all things! haveing fresh raw veggies fruits heals us it has helped heal me. I have learned this through careful observing and trying this myself, learning by others examples, education by Dr Gabriel Cousens who has helped so many with many diseases including Chrones, Colitis, Diabeties, Fibermialgia, and more..with his expertise in this respect the raw food diet, through detox and cleasing first, our bodies have a toxic overload of many years of eating the standard "American " diet..and it was bound to catch up to us. So this is a great alternative to the traditional "ways" and for me it is a blessing cause it toally works. please check out Dr Gabriel cousens videos on you tube Raw for 30 days and others Peace to all ..Catherine Sarah Manna
11-30-2011, 02:15 AM   #25
Mannaforlife

Here is a great link that explained to me why eat raw, and i can tell you that when I drink a freshly squeezed juice or freshy made one, i can feel my body just soak it right up!! its as if, my cells are going to work. Here is a great link that explained to me why eat raw, and i can tell you that when I drink a freshly squeezed juice or freshy made one, i can feel my body just soak it right up!! its as if, my cells are going to work. the article is at Rawmazing.com
11-30-2011, 02:15 AM   #26
Mannaforlife

What do our bodies need to eat raw?

What are the building blocks that our bodies need to function? Enzymes, vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, protein, essential fats and fiber. These are all provided by our food and are involved in growth, repair and maintenance of the body. Letís take a quick look at each of these and what they do for you.

Enzymes

Enzymes convert the food we eat into chemical structures that can pass though the membranes of the cells lining the digestive tract and into the blood stream. Their job doesnít end there. Enzymes are the living proteins that direct the life force into our biochemical and metabolic processes. They help transform and store energy, make active hormones, dissolve fiber and prevent clotting. They have anti-inflammatory effects. Enzymes help balance and restore the immune system, and heal many diseases. Enzymes even help repair our DNA and our RNA.

When we cook food, we destroy many of the enzymes that help us naturally digest it.

Vitamins

Without vitamins our cells would not function properly and thus our organs would suffer and eventually we would no longer be able to survive. Vitamins help regulate metabolism, help convert fat and carbohydrates into energy, and assist in forming bone and tissue. Guess what happens when you cook food? You got it, a large percentage of the vitamins are destroyed.
Viktoras Kulvinskas in his book, Survival into the 21st Century, estimates that the overall nutrient destruction is as high as 80%. Tests have shown that we will lose 50% of the B vitamins while B1 and B12 can lose up to 96%. 97% of folic acid is destroyed as well as 70-80 % of vitamin C.

Minerals

Seventeen of the thirty elements known to be essential to life are metals. Mineral deficiencies cause disease in humans. Minerals also have a synergistic relationship with vitamins. They help each other help us. When foods are cooked, many of the minerals are destroyed, or altered, rendering them useless and also unable to assist our friends the vitamins.

Phytonutrients

Phytonutrients are what give fruits and vegetables their color. Phytos protect the body and fight disease. They also fight cancer and help your heart. Phytonutrient are at leading edge of research on nutrition. They provide medicine for cell health. And once again, Phytonutrients in freshly harvested plant foods can be destroyed or removed by cooking.

Why Eat Raw?

It just starts to make sense. If cooking destroys the vital and essential nutrients that we need to stay healthy, eating our food raw does the opposite. It provides us with what we need for our health and well being. I know from experience that when I am eating at least 80% raw, I have more energy, more mental focus, and all of the pesky things that irritate me on a daily basis, like acid reflux and my daily aches and pains, dissipate. I also know that I am feeding my body what it needs to thrive, not just survive.

article taken from rawmazing.com

Last edited by Mannaforlife; 11-30-2011 at 02:34 AM.
11-30-2011, 04:09 PM   #27
glory_h

My Support Groups:
I'm glad someone posted this thread and that there are some positive things to say about a raw diet!

It's true that raw veggies and fruits, and nuts, can be very painful for someone with Crohn's. But I think there's a misconception that a raw-food diet consists of just raw veggies/fruit in their whole form.

I ate raw earlier this year, just for a week, and I was amazed at the amount of variety you can have with a raw food diet. You can make "cheeses" with nuts. There's a lot of puree-ing, blending, soaking, etc, which make the foods fairly easy to digest.

The principle of a raw diet makes so much sense! Eating raw (and therefore alkaline) foods reduces inflammatory responses in our bodies. What is Crohn's but a big problem with inflammation? So is psoriasis, arthritis, and other Crohn's extra-intestinal manifestations. It makes a lot of sense to me that a diet to calm inflammation would help with Crohn's.

That is, if you can tolerate it. Of course I wouldn't ever recommend one specific diet for everyone! As we all know, Crohn's can treat each person very differently, and we all have different trigger foods. And we need to respect that what works for one person won't work for the next, necessarily.

That said, I'm going raw! I'll post on the forum about my results.
11-30-2011, 04:45 PM   #28
Mannaforlife

Awesome!!! i know that detox is very important!! Our bodies have been overloaded with acidic foods so we have to detox it, and thats why some people with chrones cant have certain fruits or veggies they are acidic,,,
11-30-2011, 04:59 PM   #29
hugh

My Support Groups:

Raw food IS the way to go. but transition is necessary
MY two cents worth......

While the intestine is inflamed,constricted and/or ulcerated then raw food would be a bad thing, probably a very bad thing.

The idea would be to eat a few safe foods (suggestions -pureed cooked carrots, plain gelatine, fresh apple juice and maybe a plain well cooked chicken soup) for a while as hopefully the intestine will start to heal on that diet.
Then add in bananas, home made applesauce, pureed squash and zuchinis, broiled or roast meats, boiled/poached eggs.

Then, when you feel good try raw
It doesn't have to be ALL raw, just MORE raw

Everything i've read recommends avoiding all grains and sugars (worked for me)

As glory_h said with so much truth
"Eating raw (and therefore alkaline) foods reduces inflammatory responses in our bodies. What is Crohn's but a big problem with inflammation? So is psoriasis, arthritis, and other Crohn's extra-intestinal manifestations. It makes a lot of sense to me that a diet to calm inflammation would help with Crohn's."

I'd try juicing (filter the juice to remove fibre).
I watched this movie a couple of days ago,

really inspirational - different disease but cuts to the heart of life - FOOD MATTERS
He got off prednisone and got his life back.

You will have to do your own research and have qualified support

Last edited by hugh; 11-30-2011 at 05:15 PM.
11-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #30
Wife2Crohns

I never dared give Hubby any kind of veggies raw. Just hurt him too much. In the beginning we went on a totally non-packaged diet and I believe it completely healed him. Now he takes a supplement which keeps him completely symptom free. Although Hubby can eat whatever he wants we still follow a non-packaged diet, for the most part. We have added some of those forbidden pleasures back into our diet, such as cheese and milk and red meat and we no longer avoid going out to eat anymore either.
~Remission since '09
~8 weeks on Prednisone in the beginning
Our Story