• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ill Health Retirement - UK

Hello folks

I just wondered if anyone has experience of applying for ill health retirement because of Crohns? I have worked for the NHS for 30 odd years and am considering applying for ill health retirement, therefore calling it a day and getting a reduced pension early.

My Crohns is severe, ileostomy (resited because of fistula around stoma, now have fistula around the 2nd stoma!), recurrent fistulae, abscesses, leaking urine from a fistula with bladder, pain +++, joint problems you know the score. Thanks.

Hi Tay

How did you get on? I am thinking of doing the same but not sure if it is a mine field and don't feel well enough to fight this as well as I am currently waiting to see if I have to undergo surgery for a stricture caused by previous surgery 25 years ago for perforation due to Crohn's. :(

Hi Catjane
Still in work - doh! But going to bring it up with my doctor later this year and the Trade Union rep. Will probably try and stick it out this year and go for it in 2015. Take care and good luck.

Things have moved on in that I am not well enough to work in my present job in the NHS anymore (been off for 4 months) and have been given the chance to go though sickness and take early retirement (with the help of my Union rep) but I am still wondering about trying for NHS ill health retirement but have heard so many nightmare stories about ATOS and the time it takes. Would be grateful for any feedback.

Hi catjane
My plan would be to apply for ill health retirement from work next year. If accepted your pension is enhanced. Not sure about ATOS - is that for when people apply for benefits? Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks - the NHS pensions people contract out to ATOS and they are the ones in the news with the horror stories. When you do go if you have any problems get the Union on board my chap has been very helpful.

That is useful to know. I intend to discuss my thoughts with my gastroenterologist and surgeon later this year with respect to obtaining their support ie reports from them.
Will deffo see Union rep!

Happy new year - well good news I got the ill health retirement tier 2, including back pay etc in time for Christmas, so it was worth pursing. The DWP and ATOS were very professional and quick - it would appear that the hold up for me was the Occupational Health Dept at the hospital where I worked! I also had 2 supporting consultants, a physician and a surgeon, whose help I suspect was invaluable. So my advice would be when you retire go for it but be aware that it could take some time. All the best