Share Facebook

05-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #31
tiloah

My Support Groups:
Yea! I did 1.55 tonight.
05-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #32
LtHuff

My Support Groups:
last week I was able to get in over 7 miles...at 2.5 with the wife so far this week.
05-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #33
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yea! I did 1.55 tonight.
Good stuff. I was going to go for a run tonight but the weather was a bit on the cool and damp side.

Diagnosed since 1990
Current Medications: None currently. Was on Imuran (150mg/day) and 5-ASA (3000 mg/day) as maintenance meds prior to surgery
Surgeries: Left hemicolectomy 2014.
05-05-2011, 05:02 AM   #34
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
So I'd been a bit naughty and hadn't gone out in nearly a month! Found a nice programme on micoach for getting me back into things and tonight shall be my third run of the week. I forgot how good it feels afterwards!

The nice weather has certainly been helping with my motivation too. As has all the runners I see on my way to and from work.
05-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #35
LtHuff

My Support Groups:
I agree the weather has shifted me out of the dormant winter mood into I need to get out and get something done!

The running has been great for my wife and I, allows us to talk during the warm up and cool down. Burn some of the frustration of the day's events during the actual workout. Now I need to add in some weight lifting and will be set IF i can stick with it for longer than six weeks.
05-05-2011, 12:41 PM   #36
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I find it so hard to run with other people. They're either too fast for me to keep pace with, or too slow. How do you do it?!
05-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #37
LtHuff

My Support Groups:
Well i am quite a bit faster than my wife...I run about a 7:50/mile she is like a 9:30-10:00/mile. We warmup at her ten then work up to an 8min/mile. That way I don't kill her and make it so its not fun for her.

Also during the slower runs i just try and get my form and breathing down. If you have a dog you can let the slower person take the dog because more often then not the dog will pull helping the slower person keep pace.
05-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #38
LtHuff

My Support Groups:
Yeeeeeow!! My hamstrings are and back are killin me today. Wife and I went and did a yoga class, besides P90x I had never done any type of yoga. It was very different from the P90x version. Most definitely a good workout though.
05-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #39
tiloah

My Support Groups:
I am having trouble motivating. I have been absolutely exhausted the last few days, I've usually been crawling into bed after work. I bought some new running shoes hoping to nip that knee pain in the bud.

Glad to see you guys are keeping it up.
05-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #40
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks for the advice LtHuff.

My thighs are killing me from doing 20 mins yesterday.
05-06-2011, 04:32 PM   #41
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I just got in from a 4.3k (2.6 mi) run (walked a bit of it as it wasn't a flat course). The running is getting better.
05-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #42
LtHuff

My Support Groups:
Great job all! I have a run tonight i am not motivated at all for, so gonna head over to that motivational thread look at some pics and hopefully get my mind into the right gear! Going for 2.5miles tonight, will let you know how it goes.
05-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #43
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Just finished my run for today. It always amazes me how I manage to forget how hard running is and how much determination it takes to keep going, before each run!!

I guess it's because after I've cooled down, I feel amazing and like I could do it all over again.

Still, I'm thinking the mental challenge of running is giving my mental health a good work out too!

Also, I find that seeing people running, either while I'm out and about or on video clips helps keep me motivated.
05-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #44
LtHuff

My Support Groups:
Just finished my run for today. It always amazes me how I manage to forget how hard running is and how much determination it takes to keep going, before each run!!

I guess it's because after I've cooled down, I feel amazing and like I could do it all over again.

Still, I'm thinking the mental challenge of running is giving my mental health a good work out too!

Also, I find that seeing people running, either while I'm out and about or on video clips helps keep me motivated.
Yup, yesterday after work I most definitely did not want to run, but i put on the running clothes and the vibrams and out we went. It was great, the weather was perfect and my wife and I picked up the pace and got a good workout in.

Good job in getting out there, that's half the battle, once you get your lifestyle into a pattern then you will feel bad when you don't go running.

Good Luck and keep it up!
05-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #45
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yup, yesterday after work I most definitely did not want to run, but i put on the running clothes and the vibrams and out we went. It was great, the weather was perfect and my wife and I picked up the pace and got a good workout in.

Good job in getting out there, that's half the battle, once you get your lifestyle into a pattern then you will feel bad when you don't go running.

Good Luck and keep it up!
Ah going out for a run after work is definitely the hardest!! Glad you both managed to do it though!

Yeah I've been running since last August now and have been pretty determined. I used to go out in the rain and even did quite a few runs in the snow. Ice was the only thing that stopped a couple of runs and then my hospital stay really messed up my training! Glad I'm getting back into it.

It's just a shame that I'm primarily getting fit before my major op later this year. I want to be as fit as possible to prevent complications and to speed up my recovery. I'm thinking that getting back into running after the op will be my hardest challenge yet though! I'm determined that I want to do a 5k race and even possibly a 10k depending on when my surgery is.
05-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #46
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm determined that I want to do a 5k race and even possibly a 10k depending on when my surgery is.
I just started running a year ago and found that setting a goal to do a race is a great motivator. I am registered for a 5k race next weekend. My New Year's resoultion was to run a 10K this year but unfortunately with the winter weather and being sick, I may be a bit off track on the resoultion so I may have to shoot for an 8K (5 miler) instead.

Mark

Last edited by hawkeye; 05-07-2011 at 05:13 PM. Reason: correct gramatical error
05-07-2011, 06:06 PM   #47
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I just started running a year ago and found that setting a goal to do a race is a great motivator. I am registered for a 5k race next weekend. My New Year's resoultion was to run a 10K this year but unfortunately with the winter weather and being sick, I may be a bit off track on the resoultion so I may have to shoot for an 8K (5 miler) instead.

Mark
Luckily for me there is a 5k race every Saturday morning near me. So when ever I'm ready I can go for it. It's free too which is an added bonus! I don't remember if I said earlier in this thread, but I was about to do it in February but landed up in the hospital instead. Doh!

Good luck for next weekend! Let us know how you do
05-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #48
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks. I am still working my way back up to 10 and 1's (running 10 min and walking a min) in my training so I don't have my heart set on a spectacular finish time. Although, the race is on an airport runway so it will be quite a bit flatter than my normal running routes as of late in my neighbourhood.
05-08-2011, 04:16 AM   #49
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Haha how weird! Running on my local airport's runway would certainly be a bad idea!

I did read somewhere that even hardcore runners do tactical walks as you can actually improve your overal time by doing so. I think they walked for a minute every mile. It basically allows your legs to use other muscles and let your running muscles rest and allows them to be stronger for the entire run therefore improving your time than if you'd run the entire way. It also improves your mental strength if you know you can rest again in another mile.

Some people would rather run the whole way, but I think as long as you get there, anything that helps is an bonus!
05-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #50
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I think it's going to be a neat event, it's billed as a unique opportunity to run either a 1 lap or 2 lap race on the actual Runway and Taxiways of the airport and a course that is flat, fast and traffic free. Interestingly, the runway is not technically closed it is just a 2 hourish window between flights.

The training program I followed is based on the 10 minute run, 1 minute walk. The 1 minute walk apparently works as a break and allows the leg muscles a bit of stretch.

I did 4.5 k this morning. It was hard to get going, but once I got the first kilometre in, it went better.

Last edited by hawkeye; 05-08-2011 at 09:42 AM. Reason: gramatical error
05-08-2011, 10:16 AM   #51
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It does sound like a unique opportunity!

You're doing really well then. I always think the first mile of running is always the hardest. It takes a while for my muscles to get into it. What kind of time are you aiming for? I really want to do my first 5k in under 30 mins.
05-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #52
hawkeye
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I am hoping for a time between 30 and 40 minutes.

My first event last July was a 2.6 miler (4.2 km) that I did in 27:04 (I suprised myself and placed 2nd out of 8 in my age category). I did a 5K on New Year's Eve in about 35 minutes after rarely running between mid-November and New Years.

I think doing your first 5k in under 30 minutes is quite good.
05-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #53
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
lol thanks Mark, I still have to get there first haha.

Well done for doing your 5k on New Years eve in that time. I don't think I could manage 5k at all without any serious training! I think you may end up surprising yourself again
05-09-2011, 11:32 AM   #54
LtHuff

My Support Groups:
After working in the yard all day and intalling fence posts was really not wanting to run, but we pushed ourselves and got 2.4 miles done. My wife has improved tremendously in the four weeks we have been running/walking.

This morning I rode my bike to work, its only about 4 miles but I have to wear nice dress clothes so stuffing them in a backpack doesn't make them look too good. Oh well! Biking will definitely help with strength and endurance.
05-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #55
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
lol one of my friends (who is doing a phd in strength and conditioning and is very fit) suggested I cycle to work! I think he's having a laugh. It's 16 miles and very hilly. Not to mention the extremely unpredictable weather we get here.

But anyway. My 'easy' run tonight was a lot harder than expected.. I'm putting it down to not being hydrated enough, but still did some hard core resistance work after. I've deserved my dinner today!
05-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #56
LtHuff

My Support Groups:
ugh if I had 16 miles to go then I would have to get a road bike. I use my mtn bike currently. We have one employee that rides in pretty much every weather except for snowstorms. He rides a 34 miles one way!
05-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #57
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
That is really crazy. But credit to him!

Even if I was really fit, I don't think it would be safe to cycle it. It's either city centre driving- don't know if you've ever been to England, but our roads are MUCH smaller than in the states. Then there's a huge hilly duel carriage way where people drive like 90mph.

I think I'll stick to my car and running after work!
05-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #58
LtHuff

My Support Groups:
umm yeah that sounds a bit crazy. He has trails that are built especially for walkers/cyclists for the most part. Here in Colorado we have a lot of roads with a bike lane because of the outdoorsy types we have.
05-10-2011, 03:13 AM   #59
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
That sounds ideal. We have bike lanes in some parts of towns but that's as far as it goes.
05-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #60
LtHuff

My Support Groups:
The program my wife and I are doing is definitely getting tougher. She is handling it well though, we are now up to walking for 10 min warmup then running for 3 min walking for 1 minute. We have been doing this in sets of 4 now its up to 5. Then a 10 min cooldown walk. Its great to see her improve the way she has. Hope your workouts are all going well!