• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My daughter

my daughter

My daughter, Hannah, was diagnosed at the age of 8, showing symptoms beginning at age 6. She is 15 now. Its been a long road. She has tried nearly every medication and had potentially life threatening reactions to two (azathioprine caused severe neutropenia; remicade caused an anaphylactic type reaction). She had a bowel (mostly SI including ileum and top of LI) resection in 2009. In 2010 she spent three months on a semi-elemental diet. The only real success we have experienced over time has been to control her symptoms with diet. She appears to have trouble with large protein molecules. We knew about beef and dairy for years. Last year when the liquid diet started making her sick (go figure - it was full of dairy) we tried a gluten free diet and found it worked wonders with how she felt, but also with growth. She has been tested for Celiacs twice and it was negative, but we believe she may have a gluten intolerance. Hannah always flares in the late fall/winter and rebounds come late spring/summer. She has been on Humira and then Cimzia the past eight months. With her winter flare, her doc added methotrexate to the Cimizia, but it made her too pukey so we discontinued it. He wants to switch to azathioprine now, but we are balking due to her reaction to it when she was younger and the increased risks of pairing it with Cimzia. Going back to the gluten free diet (we discontinued it with the methotrexate) and trying to hold steady for a while. We shall see. All meds tried over the years: azathioprine, budesonide (Entocort), prednisone, asacol/pentasa, Flagyl, 6-MP, Remicade, Humira, Cimzia, methotrexate and several combinations of these. I am always open to new ideas/suggestions for meds, diet, etc. Just want to see my girl suffer less and be able to live as normal a life as possible. She is an amazingly strong and sweet young woman.

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi Lana, welcome!! Wow, she's been through it!! I guess it would show up in blood panels but the winter flares make me wonder if a lack of vit. D may have played a part...just a thought. Good luck to you and Hannah. Come on over to the Parents forum in the Support section.

Thanks, Mark. I will. I am on a D supplement. I think if one resides in WI or other northern states it can be assumed there is a vitamin D deficiency. We do have her on a good multi-vitamin, fish oil, and folic acid (forgot to list those in our story).

ameslouise

Hi Lana and welcome.

Poor Hannah has really been thru it hasn't she? Poor thing. Sorry you are having such a hard time finding the right mix of meds.

There has been a lot of research and thoughts about Vitamin D in autoimmune diseases, among other things.

Take a poke around the thread for parents of kids with IBD. You'll find lots of nice and knowledgeable folks like Mark ^ that can give you good advice and guidance.

- Amy

Thanks, Amy! Thanks too for walking in Take Steps. We hope to do a team some year. Last year (2010) we were able to go to Washington, DC for Day on the Hill. It was an incredible opportunity for both Hannah and I (and some good mom/daughter time). We had hoped to go back this year but work is going to keep me from being able to go this time. Boo.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi Lana and :welcome:

I'm so sorry to hear about Hannah......:(. Man these kids are resilient aren't they?

If you haven't already done so have a good look through the Diet and Exercise Forum and the Treatment Forum. Feel free to ask and ask and then ask again anything you want to know and we will do our best to provide an answer! That's the difficulty with this disease isn't it, everybody seems to different with diet, meds, you name it, what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.

Perhaps you would like to read through Ziggy's thread on his stem cell transplant, could be something to keep at the back of your mind for down the track?.......

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=10838

Also make good use of the search function on the blue bar at the top of the page. Sorry I can't be of more help but this is a fab place for support and info. I hope you stick around 'cause we would love to have you here! Good luck and welcome aboard!

Take care, :)
Dusty

Thanks, Dusty. Everyone is so friendly. I was on a board a few years back but then life got hectic and I fell away. Not that life is any less hectic now, but it felt like being proactive to get back in touch with others who get what Hannah and we go through with all of this. I will poke around a bit and will definitely read about the stem cell stuff. Hannah and her dad and I were all tested genetically to see if she would be a candidate for a gene replacement study. Unfortunately, to qualify for this particular one she had to have gotten the *right* gene from both of us. I guess she just got it from one of us. Her doc says there might be a related study in the not too distant future for her form of the disease. He is also talking with an immunology expert about the possibility of Hannah having some other immune system disorder that only looks like Crohns (he thinks this b/c her disease has never responded as is typical). Anyway - like I said before, we really like this doc. He is sharp and savvy, but most of all he talks to Hannah and doesn't get discouraged. Her last doc became her last doc when she walked into the exam room with her hands up in the air saying, "I feel hopeless." Yep, she really did. Have a great day!
Lana