Share Facebook

04-08-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
denisk

Eating Steak

Seems like if I eat to much steak I am curled up in a ball after but I can eat a cheeseburger and still feel fine?
04-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
Keona

hahaha...that is funny b/c just before I was to have surgery, I was craving cheeseburgers. I cant eat red meat but I craved cheeseburgers in a big way. Had a big discussion on facebook about it..
Dx Endometriosis April 2011

"if nothing changes - nothing changes

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=530585394
04-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

I rarely eat steak, mostly because even the tender meat is chewier and doesn't break down. Using digestive enzymes do help. Hamburger is minced and easier to break down. Some people dont tolerate beef well.
04-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #4
Keona

I meant to add that if I ate a cheeseburger right now, it would likely cause pain but it is strange how you mentioned it after I just had a big discussion...
makes sense Pen how it would be digested easier though - it already looks chewed before cooked
04-08-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
Fog Ducker

Whenever I eat steak, it feels like it takes a while to work its way through me, unlike everything else!! :P

Dx UC: 2006. Dx CD: 2008
Current Meds: Remecade 800mg evry 6 weeks, Methatrexate 7.5mg once a week oraly, Asacol 800mg 3 times a day.
04-08-2011, 11:00 PM   #6
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
OMG...I tried steak for the first time since being diagnosed a few weeks ago and I felt FINE! I was so excited. But, I still won't eat it very often. But it was nice to enjoy it without it causing me any pain.
January 2014 - adopted a mostly Paleo diet
May 2015 - still in remission!

Currently Taking
Humira - 40mg/week
Imuran - 125 mg/day
Calcium magnesium citrate
Fermented cod liver oil/butter blend
Culturelle probiotics
Vitamin D
Vitamin C
Biotin
Allegra
04-08-2011, 11:02 PM   #7
Miss Spencer

Seems like if I eat to much steak I am curled up in a ball after but I can eat a cheeseburger and still feel fine?
Most cheeseburgers and so-called beefburgers are made from sausage meat, as it is cheaper than using beef. So maybe that is the reason.
04-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #8
ameslouise

Someone sent me a box of Omaha Steaks Filet Mignon as a get well!! I can't wait to dig into that box! But I will wait another couple of months to make sure I can really enjoy them.....
04-09-2011, 03:19 PM   #9
bruscar

oh my god guys,

Steak is a big no no for me, and the burgers are no problem, hence my bmi. . . anyway my other big no no is weirdly . . LETTUCE !!
04-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #10
denisk

See I can eat lettuce and it doesn't bother me but before I knew what I had I once ate a pint of strawberries and it was the worst pain of my life seriously not recommened.
04-09-2011, 06:36 PM   #11
Lydia

I also like taking a papaya enzyme before eating a steak. Easier to digest that way.
04-09-2011, 06:57 PM   #12
denisk

I have been eating fresh papaya and mangoes and it seems to help
04-09-2011, 10:39 PM   #13
ThanksP

I can eat Buffalo/Bison steak but steak from a cow KILLS me. And one of the only things I can eat during a flare to help keep weight on is a McDonald's double cheeseburger. I call it my McDonald's diet. Any other kind of beef is a no-no for me too.
04-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #14
tflock

My Support Groups:
I dont eat red meat at all anymore. The last time I had red meat was about a year ago. About 5 hours later, I had constant streams of saliva coming out of my mouth and then vomitted everything up. I also had worse symptoms for around 3 days. I dont tolerate it well at all and dont eat it, but some people are able to get by with it alright.
04-10-2011, 06:45 AM   #15
denisk

It's so amazing to hear what everyone can eat and what bothers them. I'm so glad I found this forum and strangely enough I can also eat McDonalds now that I have working med's but before if I ate that it was 2-3 days of pure hell.
04-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #16
mkhopper

My Support Groups:
I would kill (well, maybe just maim) for a good steak.

I had to stop eating all red meat some years ago and now only eat poultry and fish. Turkey burgers are ok and do the job well enough, but what I wouldn't do for some BEEF. Venison. Pork. Lamb. Anything.

(Damn, now I'm all hungry...)
Krill oil, Multi vitamin,
Simethicone, Ginger root,
Turmeric

As needed
Xanex, Valium
04-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #17
HeatherMN

I can only eat a *small* amount of steak but most other meats don't affect me. More than a tiny amount of iceberg lettuce (a nutritional waste anyway...) kills me, but I can eat romaine or other darker lettuces. Jennie-O makes really good turkey burgers, great on the grill! Not sure how widely available that brand is tho, they are a MN company.
Appendectomy January 2011
Humira 40 mg; also Flexeril, Wellbutrin XL, Klonopin, Salagen, vitamin D,
co-Q-10, DMAE, biotin, acai, multivitamin with ginger
04-13-2011, 12:51 PM   #18
Sha0913

I don't touch steak, I love it and miss it but it kills me, So i always get chopped steak, its like a really big hamburger and that doesn't bother me, I guess it as close as I can get.
Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; Colossians 3:12
***I definitely have Bowels.....of Longsuffering
[SIGPIC]
04-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #19
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I can't eat any beef and even turkey burgers don't sit well with me, I don't know if it's the grease or what. I think McDonald's would kill me, ha ha. I haven't eaten beef or pork since I was about 14 years old. Every couple of years I do get a hankering for a cheeseburger, but if I indulge, after about 2 bites I get a massive stomachache that lasts for days. This was true even before I developed other gut problems.
04-13-2011, 01:42 PM   #20
maxibear

My Support Groups:
no red meat ever again and i dont miss it. its bad for you anyway
emergency stricturplasty surgury april 1, 2010- april fools on me, lol, dianosed mid april chrones, although i had no symptoms- currently on pentassa 8 blue ones a day, vit d, liquid fish oil, and a bunch of other great drugs for my i various problems.
04-13-2011, 02:10 PM   #21
Astra

My Support Groups:
I chose to cut out all red meat a year ago, partly cos I read about it sitting in your intestines and rotting away for days on end! And the thought of that knocked me heart sick! I don't miss any of it, even the smell makes me want to puke!
I wouldn't touch a McDonalds with a barge pole or for all the tea in China!
And anyway, waste of money, may as well throw it down the bog and cut out the middle man!

Joan

Dx Crohn's in TI 2005 symptoms for 15 years prior

BEEN ON -Azathioprine, 6MP, Prednisolone, Pentasa, Budesonide, Metronidazole, Humira, Methotrexate,

NOW ON -Amitriptyline 25mg
21/02/14 Right hemicolectomy surgery

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...4208290&ref=ts

No-one should make you feel inferior without your consent!

04-17-2011, 04:53 PM   #22
Laura_123

My Support Groups:
i eat cheese burgers all the time and im fine after them... i had a steakkebab the other night and after had the worst stomache ache and sick feeling!
x
04-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #23
denisk

I take back what I said about lettuce after this weekend but i'm wondering if it's because I just opened the lettuce meaning only peeled off a small layer then put it on my sandwich without washing it. If I eat salad at home that's been washed in a salad spinner i'm fine so now i'm really wondering? Either way it will be a little while before I do that again.
04-18-2011, 12:25 AM   #24
Keona

EWE McDonalds is gross... all fast food is... Burger King, Taco Bell...etc, etc.... they are really high in MSG as well......
04-18-2011, 03:05 AM   #25
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
There's NO way I could EVER give up meat. It's just too good and it never seems to bother my stomach anyway.

I'm fine as long as I don't eat too much fruit and veg.

I did, however, give up alcohol. It's amazing how I don't feel the need to drink at all now. It's great.
04-18-2011, 05:14 AM   #26
Sufferer2002

I eat steak all the time, with a cream, cheese and garlic sauce. I don't get too much of a bad stomach, but it does make me need the loo. Although, I think that's the sauce - my Crohn's doesn't react well to anything that is 'wet' to touch - gravy, sauce, grease - I could eat 6 loaves of dry bread and be fine. Anything that is wet or greasy turns my stomach...
04-18-2011, 09:04 AM   #27
bangarang

Tho I cut down on my meat intake alot, one thing Ill never give up is a nice juicy steak, I never really had problems with it for some reason.
I agree fast food is gross, after I cut all of it out of my diet amazing how much better I started to feel.
04-18-2011, 09:14 AM   #28
Sufferer2002

I'm guessing red meat is a no-no for most Crohnies? Can't remember ever hearing this previously..
04-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #29
LtHuff

My Support Groups:
We had a T-Bone steak couple of days ago and I knew it wasn't going to feel great afterwards but it was SO delicous, especially with the twiced bake potatoe....yummm

The pain afterward wasn't unbearable just uncomfortable...basically felt like a normal day.
04-27-2011, 02:47 PM   #30
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
Just decided to give up red meat - well, most of it! Steak, burgers etc hurt too much and we had a ham joint the other day and I hurt for two days. I'm Ok with bacon tho and might still have it. Well I've had to give up coffee, chocolate and cake. I think I'm allowed a couple of vices dammit .... Red wine being the other one :-)

Previous: Prednisolone, Mesren, Omeprazole, Infliximab, Azathioprine
Current: Pentasa, Librax, Warfarin
Helen x

Last edited by Grumbletum; 04-27-2011 at 03:29 PM.