Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » Anyone else besides me very protective of your stomach?

View Poll Results: Is your stomach sensitive
Yes 47 90.38%
No 5 9.62%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

04-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
KDH-3*3

Anyone else besides me very protective of your stomach?

After having surgery, of course...Is your stomach sensitive? Like when your doctor presses on it, do you jump? I personally don't like anyone coming near me. If someone has a knife (like when cooking) in there hand I don't go near them, they make me nervous! Oh, and I dont like tight pants or anything around my waist anymore.

Last edited by KDH-3*3; 04-12-2011 at 03:21 PM.
04-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #2
MapleLeafGirl

I haven't had surgery yet and I still don't like anyone touching my tummy. I cringe when the doctor asks "can I feel your belly".

Diagnosed: August 2006
Current Meds: Imuran (125 mg), Budesonide (9 mg)
11-06-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
Stillindenial

My Support Groups:
It has been painful to the touch for 15 years or so....but only now I am starting to understand what I have!
11-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #4
kllyeve

My Support Groups:
I can't wear tight pants. I can't stand any pressure on my stomach. I can't sit and move around or twist my torso much or I get too sore.
11-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #5
Awbrey

I agree sometimes it feels like it is raw inside I wear pants by lilac because they have a stretchy tummy and they are not actual pregnant pants lol
11-07-2011, 05:43 AM   #6
__JK__

Very protective. I'll hold my arm around my belly most of the time. Just incase.

About a month after I had my first surgery (open surgery, big 5inch incision right up my belly) a friend I hadn't seen in a while came running up behind me, wrapped his arms round my belly and picked me up. OMG! that was probably the most pain I ever had! He didn't know obviously but I think he still feels guilty. I dunno if it was that but i've always been nervous of getting hurt. I flinch every time my girlfriend grabbs me for a hug. My bosses daughter punched me in the gut not long after surgery (only messing around, but again she didn't know). A girl i'd just started dating once punched me in the gut for being cheeky. (she didn't know)

I dunno if i'm just unlucky but yeah i'm very protective.

When the doc presses on your belly, they're looking for what they call guarding. Supposidly it's an involuntry reaction to protect sensitive areas (your body backing up what you're saying). I dunno about you but I can, and do that voluntarily all the time.

Meds
Pridnisolone Budesonide - failed, Pentasa - failed, Azathioprine - failed, Methotrexate - failed, Infliximab - failed

Humira - , B12 -
11-07-2011, 07:20 AM   #7
Grant

My Support Groups:
I've noticed for ages that when they feel my belly they are looking @ my face to see what reaction there is.
My belly has always been super sensitive, my wife can touch my side & my belly reacts in a way that is as if I've been tickled by a giant feather except i dont giggle. Its weird really & been like it all my life. I also sometimes put my arm across my ft-its almost an unknowing way of protecting the area without meaning to.
Rgds
Grant
2002 Laperotomy & Resection
2010 Laproscopic Ileocolic Resection
2012 Laproscopic Laperotomy & Resection
2013 diagnosed with a Fistula
Been on Azathioprine Pred & Methotrexate
Currently on:
Inflectra
Questran
Loperamide
Calcichew
Pentasa 4gm daily
Daily Multi Vitamins
3mthly B12 Jabs
11-07-2011, 11:37 AM   #8
Sunshine Cat

My Support Groups:
Mine too! Can't stand tight pants. I'm looking for pregnant pants, I just need functional for now.
11-07-2011, 02:39 PM   #9
kllyeve

My Support Groups:
Some nights I can't even stand to sleep on my side as I can feel gravity pulling on my insides, so I have to lay on my back where I am somewhat more comfortable. If my boyfriend has a restless night and tosses and turns all night - I am very uncomfortable as I can feel all his movements vibrating through my stomach.
11-07-2011, 04:17 PM   #10
lizzy16
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I am the same - instead of jeans I wear jeggings that are one size too big so they "look" like regular jeans but are nice and stretchy around my belly (If I wear normal jeans I often have to undo the button and sometimes the zip!) Also, if I'm sitting on the couch with my boyfriend and I'm feeling a little poorly, any movement he makes goes right through me - very annoying and I feel bad for telling him to stop moving! The time he had a coughing fit was awful - him coughing and spluttering and flailing about, and me just gritting my teeth! He was fine, by the way

Diagnosed with Crohn's colitis October 2011
150mg Imuran
Started Humira 40mg 26/03/13
Vit D Supplement

"There's nothing you can do that can't be done."
11-08-2011, 03:53 AM   #11
EmAitch88

i did not partake in the poll because i think it is intended for people who have had surgery...but my stomach can be very tender. i think my boyfriend has finally learned to stop poking/pretend punching me in the belly -knock on wood- but he will randomly tap my stomach when i'm laying down. doesn't quite hurt, just uncomfortable. but, the tenderness can be bad sometimes; when i stretch back or bend forward, i cringe.

Asacol hd dr 800mg
Azathioprine 50mg
11-08-2011, 06:50 AM   #12
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
Yep, the docs have to prise my arms away from my stomach, even though I have virtually no pain now. Can't help it - I remember what it was like. And I've just ordered trousers for work that are a size bigger than I normally wear and have elasticated waistbands. Combination of sensitivity and the weight I've put on from the Pred.

Previous: Prednisolone, Mesren, Omeprazole, Infliximab, Azathioprine
Current: Pentasa, Librax, Warfarin
Helen x
11-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #13
StepfordWife

I haven't had surgery either. But I do find it very hard to get comfortable in bed at night and I really can't sleep on my back. I toss and turn and keep husband awake. I feel terrible when he tries to give me a cuddle. Standard response "don't touch my stomach!". Romance killer!!! There are so many items of clothing hanging in my wardrobe that I just can't wear anymore. And so many pairs of underpants that ain't getting any action either!! I hadn't thought of pregnancy pants.... tempting, very tempting!!!!

Prednisone 15 mg tapering 5mg a fortnight....

Vit B, Vit D, 5HPT, DHEA, Mastic Gum, Yucky Fish Oil, Slippery Elm, Glutamin, Acetyl- L-Carnitine and Xanax as needed!
11-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #14
blessedwithfour

wow. mine too! my very first symptoms were when i would lean into a countertop to reach something i would feel pain. i guard my stomach around my kids! always worried someone will bump me
Took Pred from Aug 2011 to May 2012
Lasted 10 days no meds
Started Entocort 9mgs May 2012
Started at 50mgs Imuran May 2012 increase to 150mg
Prevacid 30mg
Disease in TI, the rest looks ok
11-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #15
Sybil Vane
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I guard my stomach around my kids, too. They'll hug me too hard and I'll try to make a joke out of it, but it hurts. My cats also jump on my lap and know how to place one paw where it hurts the most, same with the dog.

I can't rest on my side, either, because of gravity pulling against my stomach and it hurts.

If you're on Facebook, please join me for daily silliness, inspiration, and IBD in the news at http://www.facebook.com/TheCrohnsDiaries.

"Cats: Because sometimes they really help you."
11-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #16
Astra

My Support Groups:
I'm terrified that one day I will get it in the belly from one of the challenging kids who I work with.
I'm on a risk assessment not to restrain for long periods of time due to variable joint inflammation, but, you never know, sometimes we can be 'taken by surprise'

Joan

Dx Crohn's in TI 2005 symptoms for 15 years prior

BEEN ON -Azathioprine, 6MP, Prednisolone, Pentasa, Budesonide, Metronidazole, Humira, Methotrexate,

NOW ON -Amitriptyline 25mg
21/02/14 Right hemicolectomy surgery

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...4208290&ref=ts

No-one should make you feel inferior without your consent!

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » Anyone else besides me very protective of your stomach?