• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Do you still dream?

Do your remember your first love? The sweaty palms, racing heartbeat? The kisses so intense that your lips felt like they ran a marathon afterwards. The times you thought that you were gonna die after the break up?. Do you remember your first car? The smell of the interior? Riding around with your friends listening to your music so loud that bystanders would stare at you as your drove down the street. Do your remember the days of leaving the house early in the morning and staying out all day without a care in the world?. Do you remember giving birth to your first child? The unconditional love you felt for this little person that relied on you for it's very life.
Do you remember the day your were diagnosed with Crohn's disease or Colitis. The initial thought " Ok what the hell is crohn's and what do i have to do to fix it". What has life been like for you since? Do you ever ask yourself if i was cured today with my disease what is the first thing i would do? What is the first meal you would eat? What song would you want playing in the backgound when the Dr. tells you that you are cured. Who is the first person you would want to kiss as a crohn's free person? Where is the first place you would go on Vacation?
Do you remember those days without Crohn's/Colitis? Call me a dreamer but ask yourself what would you do if and when that day comes and we are all told: Mr/Ms.__________ you are forever free of your disease. And if this is a dream please don't wake me up yet i am about to kiss Haley Berry.

Chas-Chuck

Last edited:
Chas I was just diagnosed so my head is still trying to wrap my mind around what the heck is in store for me, when will I feel better, when will these symptoms subside, will I have any energy this week? Will I even be able to keep a small amount of food down. Today I have been thinking where would I go if I could go anywhere. Sadly there is no cure but there is remission and hopefully we will all find a cure so that we may hear those words " you are forever free". I wish this was a dream for you, for me , for all of us but its our reality. Dont give up hope or quite dreaming because miracles happen. Now go kiss Haley Berry.

ameslouise

IBD has been a part of my life for so long I can't remember what it was like before. Do I ever dream that I am free of the disease? Oddly, no. I only dream of days when I can eat whatever I want - chicken wings and a Peanut Buster parfait from DQ!!

- Amy

PS Hope Halle didn't slobber too much. :)

Absolutely.... and I hope I never stop....
they are the same ones but seem a bit bigger now cause it is more of a challenge...

to answer the ot, almost all my dreams are nightmares, ever since steroids.
Trapped by a rising tide, clinging from a ledge trying to save my girlfriend and a bunch of other things that just re occur endlessly, I always try and stay awake until I know I will be unable to resist sleep otherwise I become stuck in a cycle of nasty thoughts/

When I remember how I was before Crohns and the how I used to live it makes me pretty non plussed, I see nostalgia as a poison or a trap that I must not let myself fall into.
It seem somewhat ridiculous to find myself being nostalgic at the age of 27, I think reading your post forced a realization upon me of how much I stop myself from thinking about the past.

my main good dream is of doing rude things with my girlfriend without ending up in massive tummy pain for days, that would be awesome:thumright:

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
I can relate to much of what has been said in this thread. I don't remember when my stomach and eating were totally without incident or pain free. Some days are much easier than others, but usually there's some form of discomfort.

I actually joke around with my brother Randy, who also has CD, and my mother, who is supportive. I tell them, if I'm lucky to make it to Heaven when I die, I know that when it comes time to eat, I'll be able to eat what I want. I will probably expect to feel sick afterwards. LOL! I will take some time to sink in that I really am healed and whole.

I don't remember being Crohn's free either. I've had it 2 thirds of my life. I don't ever dream or wish I was crohn's free because I've just accepted that that's the way things are. But saying that, crohn's doesn't really affect me a lot on a day to day basis. It just likes to punch me in the face occasionally to remind me that it's still there!

Dream being Crohns free? of course I do. But I also dream for other things, get my degree at European Civilization, make more money by baking custom gingerbread houses and giving origami lessons (I am crafty). Raising my kids. Watching movies, paying my mortgage, going to Egypt. Everyday I wake up and I know that I will go to the bathroom 5-7 times, I will feel pain, sometimes fatigue, I will have to poke myself with a drug that may make me better, or maybe not. And still I say Eff you crohns I have plans for my life and I am going to make them real crohns or not crohns. If tomorrow I am crohns free I will just eat salad with my lunch, no music on the background no Greys anatomy hot doctor anouncing that I am cured. Honestly I dont believe the "cure" is close, despite the encouraging results with the stem cell treatments. I spend 35 years of my life withoout Crohns, they had some good moments, some bad moments, some meh moments. I will spend the next 35 years (at least) having Crohns, there will be some bad moments, some good moments and some meh moments, meanwhile Crohns can :kissgrits: I dont really believe in afterlife so I want to enjoy the life I have, good, or bad, or meh. I want my last words to be "What a hell of a ride" .

PS Haley Berry is meh kiss Charlize Theron instead

I used to want to be Crohn's free when I was younger, I always feel like I was a bit robbed of childhood being ill so young. But then, if I didn't have Crohn's I don't think I would be the person I am today. Mine is pretty well controlled at the moment but I am often reminded it is there. This may not be comforting to some people but I always think there are people worse off than me, and that usually keeps things in perspective and makes me appreciate the things I have rather than the one thing I wish I didn't.
xxxxx

I have given up the idea of being cured long ago, but it is always my goal to be able to manage this disease as well as possible. I am have bad days, but I have good days too, and i agree with Vicky that I would not be the person I am today if I did not have this disease. I feel like I am a very strong person because I have had to be, and I am proud of how i have coped with the hand I have been dealt. I hope that you can make peace with this disease someday too.

Welcome to our little Crohnie club!

Yup, but then as a relative newby to this thing, rather like social_me, i'm still trying to wrap my head round this thing!!Just the fact its completely taken away a year of my life getting a diagnosis, and the pain that comes with it. PLUS, the whole fact that whenever I'm stressed I get a flare. My life's stressful, I get stressed..so that sucks.. but I suppose its better to learn young.. in a way.
Oh and who I'd kiss if I was free, Daniel Craig or Pierce Brosnan lol!

Hi

I'm a newbie here but unfortunately have had Crohn's longer than I've been disease free, but you know what - it doesn't define me. As Jer's Girl said, you learn to manage it. I have an ileostomy and like to say that neither that or Crohn's define me - I am so much more first - a daughter, a wife and lover, a sister, a friend, a lawyer and most recently and best of all, a mother.

All the very best to you on your journey (and I still dream of a cure!!)

xJulie