Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Colectomy surgery 12th may

04-19-2011, 03:02 AM   #1
meardonna

colectomy surgery 12th may

Hi guys!
i'll be joining you all on the 12th may! I'm looking forward to it, but also terrriffied and anxious. Am trting to get my head around the practicalities, like the different types of bags, 1 piece vs 2 peice! pants and belts! where to have my stoma situated? high or low? what should I expect? i'm having it done laparoscopy so atleast I wont have huge scar!

please help!
04-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
ameslouise

Glad you are having it done lapro - that will help a lot in your recovery! My stoma is to the right of my belly button. I think that's where most end up, and higher or lower depending on what they find when they get in there.

Hopefully you have an ostomy nurse in the hosp that can give you guidance on the different kinds of bags and give you some samples. It usually takes a few tries to find the one that is best for you!

Try not to get overwhelmed. You will be feeling so much better after your surgery that you won't even care that you have a bag, and you'll be excited to find ways to dress that make you feel good and look good.

Good luck! - Amy
04-20-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Nyx

My Support Groups:
My stoma's to the left of my bellybutton and down about an inch. I didn't get a choice about where it went because my surgery was an emergency. It's turned out pretty well though. I can wear my waistband above my stoma in most cases (I don't wear those low-rise pants..but they would be a problem).

In regards to the appliance options, give the major companies a call and they'll send you out free samples to try. Like Amy said, it's pretty much trial and error when you first get your stoma. What works for me, wont necessarily work for someone else.

Good luck with the surgery! Hope you get the relief that many of us have

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

04-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
CDDad

Hi Meardonna,
You're doing the smart thing by researching now. Of course, there is no real way to prepare except by having it for real.
For me, it was a few months before my ostomy felt like a part of me. So definitely give yourself a break in the beginning and give yourself time to adjust - mentally and physically.

Ileo's and Colostomies can be quite different - so you'll get good Colo specific advice from people like Nyx. Ileo's like me have to empty 7-8 times a day, and I believe Colo's empty once per day. Plus, they have options like irrigation.

Good luck!
On Protonix and Humira.
04-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
meardonna

THEY'LL BE REMOVING THE WHOLE OF MY COLON SO I'll be left with an ilieostomy
04-22-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
Nyx

My Support Groups:
Am I the only one with a colostomy on here? Ileo's seem to be prevalent....I feel a poll coming on....lol
04-22-2011, 08:18 PM   #7
CDDad

oops, sorry about that! Yes, that would be a Ileo. Well, Ileo's take more care and feeding. That's why I like a 2 piece unit. I tried both, but one piece appliances just did not allow me to check on my ostomy. It felt like a pair of underware that could not be removed.

With a 2 piece, I can take off the bag, check the condition of my wafer, clean it out a bit. I can change the bag, which I often do nightly to get a fresh filter. For me, a fresh filter is the difference between sleeping through the night and waking up during the night with an inflated bag.

I also like to use the thin white Hollister belt. It clips on to the bag and helps support the weight of a filling bag. It just helps to keep my mind off it until it really needs to be emptied. Without it, I constantly feel that weight pulling and it can be distracting.

It's probably different for a guy (like me), but I wear the same pants as before. My pants come up to just below my stoma. This location works ok for me, and I wear my bag outside my pants, under my untucked shirts. I don't think this method is common with women, but it is very practical to prevent pancaking (when stool build up around the wafer instead of falling down into the bag). This is a bad thing and can cause blowouts (when stool gets forced under the wafer causing failure).

So these are the technical details, but overall life can be very good with an Ileostomy. Mine is certainly back to normal.
04-23-2011, 03:59 AM   #8
meardonna

thanks guys. my cousin had surgery last week, apart from a reaction to the morphine she seems to be doing ok. since we're going through the same thing together we're helping each other out. doesn't sound pleasant but she also has 'a fissure?' between her stomach and small intestines, so when she was sick with the morphine she was bringing up 'poop' digested food back from the small intestine. don't know what they going to do about that.
04-25-2011, 08:53 AM   #9
meardonna

my cousin is still having problems, they wont let her home till she's 'been' her stomach is really bloated! as it's easter the stoma nurse and normal docs are not there, Think maybe because of the fissure between the intestine and the stomach, maybe everythings just going round in circles, anyone know of this happening?
04-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #10
meardonna

meeting stoma nurse next tuesday, have been told to stop the azaphioprine, but have increased steroids back up one as had a bad weekend, is feeling more real everyday
04-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #11
CDDad

Good luck with that appt. Is it to mark the spot?
04-27-2011, 03:23 AM   #12
meardonna

YES, TO MARK THE SPOT, not that i know where I'm going to have it yet, and also to discuss the bags, the different types etc.... it's the same nurse that my cousing has. she says she's really nice
05-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #13
meardonna

date changed to tomorrow!!!!!
05-04-2011, 01:01 PM   #14
Nyx

My Support Groups:
Good luck!! Keep us posted when you can
05-04-2011, 06:48 PM   #15
ameslouise

Good luck! it won't be long now!

- Amy
05-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #16
Kris

Good luck, I hope all is going well!

Crohn's Diagnosis: 1996 at age 19.

Current Diagnosis: Unknown. Might be Colitis as of March 2011.

Past Medications: Prednisone, Asacol, Pentasa, Canasa, Entocort, 6mp, Humira, Cimzia, Flagyl, and Cipro.

Current Medication: 6mp

Surgeries: Total removal of colon (rectum was saved) with temporary ileostomy in Feb. 2011.

I'm sorry, but I can't be a ray of freakin sunshine every day of the week!
05-06-2011, 03:08 PM   #17
JetWhite

I'm a bit late but Good luck, I hope it's all going okay

Diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis October 2009

Azathioprine 125mg/day (at night)
Asacol - 1200g 2 x day
Amiltriptyline 50mg/day gradually increasing
Predfoam for flare ups and more than I expected
Tramadol with paracetamol, more than I anticipated
Various daily supplements inc Multi-vits with iron
and watching what I consume

Sometimes : Pred tablets
Calcichew & Alendronic Acid ; Calcichew taste nice

I am so very glad to have joined the forum

05-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #18
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Hope you can update us soon on your recovery!!! Hope all went well!
Misty
DX Crohns Feb 2011, symtoms 1997, 2009 and then WHAM! Emergency surgery for perforated sigmoid, fistula through fallopian tube, septic and near dead: Colostomy-Stan was born 22/12/10. Another parastomal hernia, his name is Ollie and he is MONSTER size!
4gm Pentasa
6MP 50mg
05-10-2011, 03:49 AM   #19
meardonna

had surgery on thursday, came home last night. Feel great, woke up in less pain than was before went down! stoma working well. apart from a little sore where my wound is and a bit tired from lack o sleep in hospital, I'm really good! glad I done it!!!!
05-10-2011, 03:58 AM   #20
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Great news then! Hoping your recovery continues to go well.

Do you have help at home?

Misty
05-10-2011, 06:02 AM   #21
meardonna

my husban has two weeks of work and church are helping a lot! eeling better than I HAVE IN a very long time, enjoying eating ood again! he's very noisy though!!!!!
05-10-2011, 11:00 AM   #22
Nyx

My Support Groups:
He'll be noisy for a while...I found the first 3 months the most mortifying...lol Glad you're doing so well! Hope your recovery continues uneventfully
05-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #23
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Cindy is right...the first 3 months are the noisiest. Stan loves to let one in meetings when it's quiet. He times it perfectly the shit!

Let the little guy make noise, it seems to make them feel better, after all it's just a baby yet! After a while you can feel it coming and squash him with your hand to muffle it. (that'll teach him!)

Misty
05-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #24
JetWhite

Nice one
Wishing you a speedy recovery
05-11-2011, 03:02 PM   #25
ameslouise

Congrats! So glad you are feeling well and recovering nicely.

Now time to name that stoma!!

- Amy (and Bilbo)
05-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #26
lulu2

My Support Groups:
Glad the surgery went well! Keep resting and doing as your doctors say! Hope you continue to feel better!
xxxx

Currently LOVING my job!!
Currently NOT loving my crohns!!

26 yrs old.
Currently taking: prednisolone 30mg/day, Azathioprine 25mg/day then 50mg in 2 weeks (well actually I've temporarily wimped out of this) 8g pentasa a day, folic acid and various cardiac meds.

Any advice I give must never ever ever replace the advice from your own doctor and care givers. They know far better than I do!
06-08-2011, 05:00 AM   #27
meardonna

its now about 3 weeks since my surgery, or maybe 4 I've lost count!!! been having a great time! loving squirt my stoma! got letter from surgeeon, they'd tested my colon and found had total ulcerative colitis and not crohns, so I'm now officially cured!!!!
06-08-2011, 05:13 AM   #28
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
What a great name 'Squirt'

So happy to hear you are doing so well!!! Absolutely great news also that it isnt crohns, and you're as good as new almost.

Misty
06-08-2011, 05:14 AM   #29
DustyKat
Super Moderator

CONGRATULATIONS...

Fab news hun! I am so, so happy that you are feeling great, all is well and you are cured!

Dusty. xxx
06-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #30
ameslouise

Wooooooooo hooooooooooooooooooooo! That is so, so, so great! Glad you are feeling better and that you are cured!

Any poss of getting a j-pouch, or did they shut up yer arsehole?

Keep feeling well - remember to take it easy - you're still just a few weeks out from surgery! Milk it as long as you can!

- Amy

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Colectomy surgery 12th may