• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Heaviness in chest, like heart palpatations..that normal?

I noticed that lately I have had what feels like heart palpatations or a heaviness in my chest. Leaves me feeling like its harder to breath. Is this normal for anyone?:sign0085:

I wonder if you think it is more physical or emotional?

I definitely experience this during panic attacks - which I have due to stress when I am in a flare up. It's mostly mental for me in that case.

I did and he gave me valium to take when I feel that way too. If it isnt normal for crohns then I am likely to believe it is emtional. Which I wold understand under the circumstances. Thanks Lee I will pay attention to if it gets worse and if the val. doesnt help it. Also glad to know anxiety is common considering what we are all going through. Thanks guys. Hope you both have a great day.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
I have experienced this in the past. I was very concerned and discussed it with my doctors. We determined it was due to axiety/stress. Once, I started to learn to cope a bit better, the feeling went away.

I hope that this is the case with you, as well, and it isn't anything serious. To be on the safe side, you should phone your doctor. I hope you feel betyer!

It's not always stress, especially with Crohn's disease. The guts can affect the same nerves that control the heart. Furthermore, disease in the esophagus can cause a heaviness in the chest and heart arrhythmias in anyone. GERD is especially problematic for causing atrial fibrillation in younger people.

I'd suggest you ask your doctor for an echocardiogram or Holter monitor, and make sure your esophagus is going ok. Don't just take "it's anxiety" for an answer. Anxiety can be caused by nerve pressure, too.

;)I have Gerd and damage to my esophogus we found on the upper endoscopy just 4 weeks ago. I did tell the doc but he listened to my heart and didnt seem to concerned that was when I saw him 2 weeks ago. I am still having them, they just put it on anxiety. I have also been vomiting quite a bit. Thanks everyone I think I will take the advice and try to get a echocardiogram. Thanks SO MUCH!!;);)

Hi!

Just wanted to offer a different perspective...

Crohn's disease can cause low potassium (because of diarrhea or inability to properly absorb nutrients), which can lead to heart palpitations.

Another thing to look at would be how much you are eating during the day. If you are chronically under eating this puts stress on your heart, especially if you have a very low BMI and your body is so starved that it catabolizes muscle and basically "eats away" at the muscles -- the heart is a muscle. I only point this out because I know that with CD it can be uncomfortable to eat sometimes and many people have a difficulty meeting their needs. It is kind of out there (this kind of situation occurs frequently in very progressed anorexia nervosa), but it's definitely something to keep in mind.

Ultimately, we can't tell you what it is...go to the doctor!! :) Although I shouldn't be speaking, I get heart palpitations too :p

Social Me,

Not to be judgmental, but whenever a patient complains of chest heaviness or heart palpitations, the first thing the doctor should do is an EKG. Listening to the chest or taking the patient's pulse isn't good enough. Do you have any cardiac risk factors...like advanced age, high cholesterol, diabetes, hypertension, family history, smoking, or being of the male gender? This chest heaviness...when does it come on? How long does it last? Does it travel, say to your jaw or down your arm? Do you get it after eating? These palpitations....do they occur in a specific context? Do you have lung problems?

Hmmm...are you a particularly anxious person? If so that is fine...the thing is...anxiety can trigger both heart attacks and a run of atrial fibrillation. I don't know your doctor..and wasn't there in the exam room with you...but the prescription for valium strikes me as being a rush to judgment.

Dr. S (spouse of a Crohn's sufferer)

Thanks to both of you. I will pay more attention as to when I get them. For instance its 200pm had 1 small manicotti roll. For breakfast 2 egg w veggie omlet. I am having them now ( the palpatations) Thats all for today. I havent been eating much lately no. The big D does not effect me its the vomiting that has got me. Also more then that and my tummy starts to hurt. I have started eating more often because I noticed I had not been eating much. I do struggle w anxiety but we have diabetics in my family, my mat gr.ma had triple bi pass at 56, and lots of high colesterol on both gp.side. I am just sitting here and they are happening. I do take a calcium, mag. and zinc tablet.
Not to be gross but after getting sick I notice what looks like disolved particles of a vitamin etc., which worries me that I am taking these supplements but not metabolizing them. So frustrating :eek2: I wish I could see what was going on. How do I know if my body is flushing it out or if its being absorbed? Either way Thanks to so many answers I am def. calling my family doc. (as he is the only one that listens to me) and that only happened after being diagnosed, Now I am being taken seriously as a crohnie. You have helped me so much. But still curious as to supplements. Thanks guys!!!!:hug:

I started getting heart palpitations shortly after I was diagnosed. They weren't happening frequently enough for a halter monitor to be useful, and they did an EKG when they weren't happening and it was fine. My doc assumed it was "just" anxiety and didn't do anything about them. He said he could prescribe something to make me stop having them, but it would lower my BP which was already on the low side.

One thing he recommended was getting exercise. Sometimes (this is the simplified explanation) we have too much adrenaline floating around. Exercising regularly will keep the adrenaline in use.

My heart palpitations eventually went away and haven't come back since. I hope your experience is similar. You really don't need one more thing to worry about! Please if your chest pain/palpitations are ever associated with exertion or if they worsen don't hesitate to see a doc. The heart is nothing to mess around with - better safe than sorry.

I hope your EKG is enlightening!

Diesnduhr thanks for your post. When I called today I was having palpatations and they wanted to get me in but I had to be home for my daughter to get off the bus and it was to short notice. Silveyk told me to pay attention as to when I get them. I have them again as I am typing it seems to happen after I eat and when I am sitting down. I can understand it possibly being adreniline. Due to being in a flare I cant work out as I am sick most of the time. I had to put a halt on my membership at the gym and that sucks. I think these b12 are helping me because I have had 3 and I am starting to feel a bit more energy and am not taking 5 to 7 hour naps anymore. I have also noticed I am a bit of a grump. I just snap sometimes I feel aggresive or mad, its not like me and I havent understand till now. I am sedantary 60% of the time so I could understand it just being energy building. I dont know, all just a bunch of questions. Could be anything, just hoping it's nothing. Thanks for you help. I hope you have a great day!

After I was diagnosed, I experienced something similar to what you describe. They weren't heart palpitations, but my chest felt heavy and I felt like I had to be deliberate about my breathing because I felt like I wasn't getting enough oxygen.

I mentioned it to my doctor and he said I had been through a lot and that it was most likely due to stress/anxiety. I also wondered if it had something to do with me being in the hospital for over 2 weeks, not exerting myself very much at all. Like what someone else said about the heart muscle needing to be exercised more. It's the same way with the lungs. I was given one of those breathing exercise machine thingies while I was in the hospital to make sure I was still breathing deeply.

Either way, the sensation was very concerning to me. I did my best to concentrate on my breathing and lay down, sometimes closing my eyes until I felt the tension release. After a few months, I noticed it went away.

Recently, it came back and I attributed it to my lack of moving around and exercising enough. I would feel out of breath sometimes just sitting still on the couch watching tV or lying in bed. Since I started going to the gym, the sensation has left.

I think everyone has given great advice. Hopefully your EKG will come back normal. Stress can be a complicated thing. If it does end of being stress-related, try not to focus on the scary sensation. I know that is easy to say, but I read that the best way to counteract panic is to tell yourself it's a panic attack and that it will pass soon and to just focus on the breathing.

:) Good luck!

Social:

If your EKG comes back normal, ask for a "holter monitor" or an "event monitor." Both are a little portable EKG that you take home with you. The holter monitor is usually used for a 24-h period. An event monitor can be used for a month. I believe the holter monitors the whole 24-h and the event monitor turns on with a button your push when you feel palpitations.

Dr. S (spouse of Crohn's sufferer)

Wow! Thanks so much everyone. First it feels so good to not feel alone and to know others care enough to take time to help support and inform me. All of you and this forum have helped me SO SO much! Twilight..what you describes about the heaviness and breathing was dead on for me. The b12 shots are helping finally after 3 shots I have a bit more energy. My stomach is so sensitive I get quesy alot, daily and it gets in the way of eating. So doc is taking me off iron to see if it helps and giving me a special blood test that needs taken at a hospital to check to see if Remicade is working or if I need it more frequently then every 8 weeks. I can't wait to start working out. I miss yoga and I use to box (like really in the ring fighting) I miss that so much that helps with frustration and so many emotions you can get out. Its empowering as a woman to play what is primarily a mans sport. Well After the EKG I will ask for the holter monitor if it comes back normal. Again, Thanks everyone. :)

I have been having similar symptoms, heaviness in my chest, quite breathless, thought once I was having a heart attack. Have had bloods done, a chest x-ray & a EKG, all fine. I have been feeling very tired lately but my B12, iron & folate are all fine. My GP is going to refer me to a cardiologist to have some more tests, but I reckon it is just my B12 levels that need boosting - my levels are low but still within acceptable levels. My GP doesn't want me to have a B12 injecting even though it has been more than 3 months since my last injection, I am thinking of just going to get it done and see if that makes me feel better.

Pjmel - Have you had your thyroid checked? This is one of the ways I found out I had Grave's Disease. It's just a hyperthyroid disease. Do your hands have a tremor in them too?

Hi!

Just wanted to offer a different perspective...

Crohn's disease can cause low potassium (because of diarrhea or inability to properly absorb nutrients), which can lead to heart palpitations.

Another thing to look at would be how much you are eating during the day. If you are chronically under eating this puts stress on your heart, especially if you have a very low BMI and your body is so starved that it catabolizes muscle and basically "eats away" at the muscles -- the heart is a muscle. I only point this out because I know that with CD it can be uncomfortable to eat sometimes and many people have a difficulty meeting their needs. It is kind of out there (this kind of situation occurs frequently in very progressed anorexia nervosa), but it's definitely something to keep in mind.

Ultimately, we can't tell you what it is...go to the doctor!! :) Although I shouldn't be speaking, I get heart palpitations too :p

I do think this is happening to me. Sometimes i feel like my heart is jumping out of my chest. And i have insomnia. Dealing with a narrowing(scar tissue) I don't eat as much. I have dropped 20lbs. My Dr wants me to take a micro-nutrient test to check on everything. We'll see what happens. :thumleft:

Thanks so much every one. I had my hemaglobin checked and it was fine but I will ask to have my micro nutrients checked because my body doesnt seem to be absorbing much that isnt liquid. I also drink 2 gallons of water every day and only one cup of coffe. I dont drink and I rarely have a pop but yet I am severe crohnic constipation. It was only at diagnosis that I was regular, since then been to ER twice because of constipation for up to 19 days. We have tried all drugs pres by doc, enimas, colnics, laxitives everything prunes, figs, fruit etc. Dr. is at a loss, so am I. Again thanks so much all for your helpfull advice.

I was also going to say low hemoglobin as it will cause you to have increased diffculity breathing and thus have the heart palps as your heart works harder. But it was good, then not that.

Could be emotional. Do you find anything makes it worse? Does anything make it start (weather, food, etc)? Is it worse in the morning, afternoon, or night? Is it worse after exercise?

A few nights this week after lying down for bed it felt like my heart was about to beat out of my chest. I did bloodwork yesterday. Hopefully we will see what's going on.

Thanks so much every one. I had my hemaglobin checked and it was fine but I will ask to have my micro nutrients checked because my body doesnt seem to be absorbing much that isnt liquid. I also drink 2 gallons of water every day and only one cup of coffe. I dont drink and I rarely have a pop but yet I am severe crohnic constipation. It was only at diagnosis that I was regular, since then been to ER twice because of constipation for up to 19 days. We have tried all drugs pres by doc, enimas, colnics, laxitives everything prunes, figs, fruit etc. Dr. is at a loss, so am I. Again thanks so much all for your helpfull advice.
Two gallons of water!? Do you ever drink a sports drink type drink like Gatorade or Powerade? You may be throwing your electrolytes out of balance.

I can't offer advice as to the constipation but I hope you get it straightened out.

A few nights this week after lying down for bed it felt like my heart was about to beat out of my chest. I did bloodwork yesterday. Hopefully we will see what's going on.
That sounds scary! Was the blood work specifically for this symptom? Hope you get it figured out.