• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help...please

Hey everyone,

Im 18 years old and i do not have crohns, however i do have an ostomy bag. I'll give you the background on it:
On febuary 28th 2011 I had my appendix removed, do to a mistake in the O.R. I was left with some major complactions. My insides were a mess with infections. 3 days later on March 3rd the Doctors told me i would be having an eassy surgery to correct the problem and i would be left with a small scar below my waist. Well do to the doctors waiting so long to correct the problem and yet again another mistake I woke up with a 10 inch long 5.5 inch wide and 3 inch deep wound in my stomach and the most dredful ostomy bag. Well i'm now awaiting the reversal surgery which is going to be between May 20th and June 20th I want to know what to expect from all this. Also im very bad with bag as far as wearing clothes go. Currently I have then one piece bag with always fills with air on me. I have my senior prom May 19th and i need to wear a tux... please help
Thank you so much

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Ed! I don't have any experience with an ostomy bag, but I wanted to welcome you to the forum. Hopefully, some members with some advice will come along shortly.

Enjoy your prom and I hope your reversal surgery goes well!

ameslouise

Hi Ed - That is a dreadful story! I'm so sorry you are going thru all of this.

There are soooo many different ostomy appliances out there to try. Your doctor or the hospital has an ostomy and wound care nurse (perhaps you had a home visit nurse after the surgeries that is certified in wound and ostomy care?). Contact that nurse and ask for advice on which appliance (bag) will give you the least trouble based on the issues you are having.

Is is a colostomy or an ileostomy? Let us know as there are different issues/techniques associated with each. There are many on here that can help. You may want to poke around the Stoma subforum in the General IBD section.

Good luck finding the right bag, have fun at your Prom, and good luck with the reversal surgery!

- Amy

Thanks everyone so much, It has deffinatly been a tough road so far but their the cards i was delt so I have to do my best. Thanks again

Ed, Is there a possibility of switching hospitals? It doesn't sound like they are being really proactive about your needs.